Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you expect after the All-Star break?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What do you expect after the All-Star break?

Here are a few reasons why I decided to write this thread.

#1) I am bored.

#2) I want to know what you guys expect from the Pacers after the break.

#3) I want to know if you guys think the Pacers can make a long playoff run, possibly ending up in the Finals

I think we still have a chance to have a long playoff run, and still can at least make the Finals. (Yeah, I know you guys think I am crazy ) Here are a few reasons why.

This team still isn't mentally here right now. All the different starting lineups have took there toll on the team. And also the injuries have took a lot out of them also. But, after the break, everyone will have had time to get their heads toghether. We will be 100% minus most likely Ron and we already know Bender won't play.

We have went 5-5 the last 10 games, and most if not all of those games we have been without Tinsley. And we have played well, AJ and Gill have played well in Tinsley's absence IMO.That is one of the reasons people have been so low on the Pacers recently. I think some people forgot about Tinsley and how he changes a team with his passes and play.

I think that we can play reasonably well after the break and if we have Tinsley we should start to make our run. I would say I would have to agree with what Reggie said while he was being interviewed after the Blazers game. He said something like after the break, we can and will hopefully put together a nice 6-7 game win streak. And he said that the defense will be key. If we can hold teams in the low 80's or high 70's we should be in good shape.

Now, all of this is asuming we don't get Ron back, which I still think we have a chance to get him back, but I wouldn't bet on it. But, I will probably still be dissapointed by early or mid-April if he is not in a Pacer uniform. If we can somehow convince the Commish to re-instate him I like our chances for a title.

If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. If we can get Ron back, we will have 5-6 main scoring threats, which is killer. We will have the emerged Fred Jones, Jermaine, Jackson, Miller (Ocasionally), Ron and Tinsley. I think that is pretty damn good. Also our D should improve dramaticly if Ron can return (DUH)

But now,back to the original question, What do you guys expect from the Pacers after the break, well maybe not exactly "expect" but what do you guys think the Pacers can do after the break? Do you think we will get it together and make a long playoff push and maybe make the Finals? Or do you think we will be watching balls fly around come playoff time? And do you think Ron will return?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

3ptmiller

Default Re: What do you expect after the All-Star break?

After the all star break i expect the pacers to build a circle around Rick carlisle (who holds flowers and a guitar) by holding their hands and start dancing and singing "KOOMBAYA MY LOOOORD... KOOOOMBAYAAA"

A first or second round playoff exit.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I expect Peck to continue complaining about Jeff Foster.

I ask... Are there any other forums where the team is under .500 and out of the playoff seedings and the forumites are speculating about deep playoff runs and even the Finals?

I think it is 50/50 (or worse) we even make the playoffs. Things will have to change (said Mr Obvious) or this year's team is going nowhere.

They have to step it up just to MAKE the playoffs.

They'd have to step it up considerably (at some point) just to get thru the 1st round.

Getting past that would require a Herculean turn-around effort and I will need to see something other than what I've been seeing to think they have that in them and/or the coach can get it out of them this year.

Enjoy the season for what it is... not what it could've been.
    This season is now about the chance to see one last "Miller Moment". ...Seeing the young guys have good games (FJones, JJones, DHarrison) and seeing the likes of Pollard and Croshere leaving it all on the court.

Anything else is probably too much to ask for at this point.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

IF we can keep our core group healthy for a long stretch of games ONLY then I see us beying able of moving into the 2nd round. I don't think we have what it takes to get to the ECF let stand the finals this year. Heck! Which team would even get to the 2nd round with all the suspensions, illnesses, injuries and different line ups we have had? This is the most draining Pacers season I have ever experienced and I'm sure that counts for all Pacers fans AND players. 2002-2003 and the season we don't speak off were pretty horrible aswell though, but this definitely tops it in my opinion.

IF we don't stay healthy and so are unlikely to get a nice momentum than I see us making the play-offs, but barely and losing in the first round IF that happens I rather we not make the play-offs and get a better lottery pick.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

We have been playing competative basketball with the better teams. Since the west coast road swing we have beat Pheonix, Houston, Miami, Memphis twice and Dallas, with near misses twice with Washington and Orlando. Unfortunately, we've been struggling against the weaker teams where we lost to New Orleans, Denver and Toronto and were in tuff games with others.

Let's face it, we're playing to the competitions level right now, which doesn't bode well for playoff basketball.

If we continue to play at this level, our seeding will force us to play either Detroit or Miami, which translates to a first round exit. The key will be to get Tinsley back and keep everyone healthy. Consistency and a strong playoff showing will come with time and a set rotation.

31 games remain
    15 at home - 16 on the road
    8 back to backs
    A 4 game western road trip

Jersey is 3 games behind us. We are tied with Phily for the 8th spot just 2 games back of the Bulls & 2 1/2 behind the Magic.

Here is the schedule for the rest of the season.

I gave it a very quick glance & I could see us going 21-10 from here on out. I think we can still get that 6th seed & face the Celtics in round 1. I'd like to think we could get to the ECF & once you get that deep, anything can happen.

Feb
    Tue 22 @ Orlando
    Wed 23 Miami
    ----------------------
    Fri 25 Cleveland
    Sat 26 @ New York
    -----------------------
    -----------------------

Mar
    Tue 1 Seattle
    -----------------------
    Thu 3 @ Denver
    Fri 4 @ Portland
    -----------------------
    Sun 6 @ L.A. Lakers
    -----------------------
    Tue 8 @ Utah
    -----------------------
    -----------------------
    Fri 11 Golden State
    -----------------------
    Sun 13 @ Cleveland
    ------------------------
    ------------------------
    Wed 16 Utah
    ------------------------
    Fri 18 L.A. Lakers
    ------------------------
    Sun 20 New Jersey
    ------------------------
    Tue 22 @ New Jersey
    Wed 23 San Antonio
    ------------------------
    Fri 25 @ Detroit
    Sat 26 @ Chicago
    ------------------------
    Mon 28 @ Milwaukee
    ------------------------
    ------------------------
    Thu 31 Miami

Apr
    -------------------------
    Sun 3 @ Washington
    Tue 5 @ New York
    Wed 6 Cleveland
    Fri 8 Washington
    Sun 10 New York
    Mon 11 @ Toronto
    Wed 13 New Jersey
    Fri 15 Philadelphia
    Sun 17 @ Miami
    Mon 18 @ Orlando
    Wed 20 Chicago

Jose's 21-10 sounds very possible to me. Tinsley will be back either ASAP or soon after, and not long after that we'll start to roll.

woman without a team

What do I expect for the rest of the season? More pain and suffering? I'm with B-ball. I'm not going to expect anything. I've decided to just sit back and enjoy the rest of Reggie playing.

We'll be MUCH better. THis break is exactly what this team needed. THe fact that we came in winning the last week just reinforces that. We get everyone rested, Harrison back playing, Tinsley back healthy (HOPEFULLY!!!), we're going to be JUST fine. 23-8, win first round lose in 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'll be MUCH better. THis break is exactly what this team needed. THe fact that we came in winning the last week just reinforces that. We get everyone rested, Harrison back playing, Tinsley back healthy (HOPEFULLY!!!), we're going to be JUST fine. 23-8, win first round lose in 2nd.
    Hopefully, Rick will decide to start playing David.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Hmmm ... I'm guessing for 19-12. I hope that will be enough to get the 6th seed in the east, but somehow I doubt that.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

...If you ask me for a guess based on things as they are... then....

15-16

We'll pick up a couple of road games and lose some home games we shouldn't. The back to backs won't help.

This season will go down as one of the most disappointing seasons ever and has the potential to derail even future seasons due to the waves it will and has created.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    ...If you ask me for a guess based on things as they are... then....

15-16

We'll pick up a couple of road games and lose some home games we shouldn't. The back to backs won't help.

This season will go down as one of the most disappointing seasons ever and has the potential to derail even future seasons due to the waves it will and has created.

-Bball
    Damn, well yeah, I would have to say the back to backs scare me the most.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

...If you ask me for a guess based on things as they are...
    Would that be the time without Jackson or the time without Tinsley? Because we haven't had both for more than a game. I think it's a mistake to expect the rest of the season to look like it has without Tinsley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Would that be the time without Jackson or the time without Tinsley? Because we haven't had both for more than a game. I think it's a mistake to expect the rest of the season to look like it has without Tinsley.
    I'm actually thinking we are snakebit with injuries and am taking into account we will be plagued by missing players or players not at 100% the rest of the season. Right now it's Tinsley. Next week it'll be someone else. Some, if not all, of this can be blamed on the suspensions and our depleted lineup forcing people to expand their roles (or play out of position or their comfort zone).

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I'm actually thinking we are snakebit with injuries and am taking into account we will be plagued by missing players or players not at 100% the rest of the season.
    I agree that we HAVE been snakebitten so far this season, but exactly how snakebit can one team be? Can we possibly continue to experience this level of bad luck for the rest of the season? Are there that many more bad things lined up waiting to happen to this team? Will the law of averages allow this team to continue taking hit after hit as they have the first half of the season?

Man, I just can't believe the 2nd half is going to continue as the first half did. Flip a coin enough times and it has to come up heads every once in awhile, ya know?

As Hicks mentioned, we haven't even had Jackson and Tinsley on the floor together more than a couple of times, and Tinsley had the flu those times.

There's still a lot of talent on this team that hasn't had a chance to gel yet. Please, God, give us a healthy 2nd half and allow this team to get comfortable with a set line up and rotation and let's see what they can do. Then, IF Artest comes back, all the better. But, if he doesn't, then fine. Just give them the chance to get into a routine, a rythym, a flow.

I predict a healthy 2nd half accompanied by more confidence and success.

I think it is 50/50 (or worse) we even make the playoffs. Things will have to change (said Mr Obvious) or this year's team is going nowhere.
    I'll take the over on that one, in a heartbeat.

We've won 5 of our last 7, and that number will get better with Tinsley back. I think the thought that we'll go around .500 the rest of the way is crazy.

We'll get the #6 seed, which means we'll get Boston in the playoffs. We can take them in a 7-game series.

Round 2 will be harder, and we'll probably have detroit. I don't see us beating them unless they have a taste of the luck we've had. Still, it should be a good series and give us something to build on.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I think the bigger mistake is to go on blind faith and assume that everyone will become miraculously fully healed the last part of the season. Why on earth should we believe that? The conventional wisdom for injuries is that if a player is injured during a season, it never really goes away until the offseason. Yes, players will rotate back into the lineup. And no, they will not be 100%. It's just the way it goes in pro sports.

Compound this with a faulty notion that these players will miraculously play together like they are the dream team, and we've got serious reality problems.

My own opinions:
    1) Play will improve and wins will increase slightly and we'll make the playoffs. But the ship has taken on too much water, and will sink sooner or later.

2) IF we get everyone back (not a gaurantee)
    AND they come together faster than any team in the past (not likely)
    THEN we may have a shot at a deep run. (not getting my hopes up).

Ultimately, I'm just saying that the cards are seriously stacked against us here. I hope things get better, but I'm not holding my breath (I just might suffocate).

/me hands you the oxygen, just in case, and agrees for a change
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

for a change?

I make it a point to disagree, until heart and knowledge is shown, then I retreat to my dark little corner

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    I think the bigger mistake is to go on blind faith and assume that everyone will become miraculously fully healed the last part of the season. Why on earth should we believe that? The conventional wisdom for injuries is that if a player is injured during a season, it never really goes away until the offseason. Yes, players will rotate back into the lineup. And no, they will not be 100%. It's just the way it goes in pro sports.

Compound this with a faulty notion that these players will miraculously play together like they are the dream team, and we've got serious reality problems.

My own opinions:
    1) Play will improve and wins will increase slightly and we'll make the playoffs. But the ship has taken on too much water, and will sink sooner or later.

2) IF we get everyone back (not a gaurantee)
    AND they come together faster than any team in the past (not likely)
    THEN we may have a shot at a deep run. (not getting my hopes up).

Ultimately, I'm just saying that the cards are seriously stacked against us here. I hope things get better, but I'm not holding my breath (I just might suffocate).

This dovetails perfectly with the point I was trying to make.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

ImReppinBtown

Even without Artest, I think we are one of the top teams in the East. I still think we can make the playoffs. What do we have, 31 games left? I think we will go 22-9 in our last 31 and be 47-35. And I think we can make a run in these playoffs. I expect us back in the Eastern Conference Finals.