Thread: The NBA may get a new collective bargaining agreement as early as this weekend....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The NBA may get a new collective bargaining agreement as early as this weekend....

Keep in mind- it IS Vescey. He HAS been having a good year so far, however.

http://newyorkpost.com/sports/22054.htm

February 18, 2005 -- DENVER — What bet ter showcase than All-Star weekend for the NBA and the Players' Association to advertise there has been a meeting of the minds regarding a new Collective Bargaining Agreement? In the wake of the NHL 86-ing its sport and further alienating every loose puck, what could be better for business and pleasure than for the NBA and the union to call a press conference within the next 48 hours and rejoice about practically completed negotiations?

What better opportunity for David Stern and Billy Hunter to prove they're not playing any games and to boast to fans they're going to continue getting their days and nights in court?

Don't quote me on this unless it turns out to be true, but sources are exceptionally inclined to believe the commissioner and the executive director are intimately near to crowing about their mushrooming partnership.

From what I'm hearing — decidedly on the downlow — the two sides are hoping today's bargaining session spawns enough movement in vital matters that an arrangement in principal can be unveiled and hailed with the remaining wrinkles ironed out later.

This will be the first time in quite a while that Stern and his cluster of owners and executives will be in the same room with Hunter and his committee of player reps. Lawyers from both entities have been haggling for the last few weeks and apparently have defined the groundwork.

As I understand it, Hunter supports the essentials of the provisional deal, but at least one confidant in Stern's crew wonders out loud whether the union boss is strong enough to sell it to his peeps.

Obviously each side has made major concessions:

# The elimination of the luxury tax will beget a higher cap and more money distributed among the players.

# Decreased guaranteed years (from seven to five, probably) and a reduction of annual percentage jumps on long-term contracts will beget the abolition of a 10 percent giveback by players.

# Dropping a demand for a minimum draft age of 20 translates into the National Basketball Developmental League being utilized as a minor league with young players bouncing back and forth with the same contracts. Should Stern be unable to get his way on this crucial issue, it's doubtful the NBDL can survive.

Stay tuned for some good news — hopefully — for a change.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

woman without a team

Default Re: The NBA may get a new collective bargaining agreement as early as this weekend....

Thanks for waringing me Vescey wrote it; therefore, I didn't bother to read it. Because of the mood I'm in I don't want them to sign an agreement until after the season is over.

Default Re: The NBA may get a new collective bargaining agreement as early as this weekend....

That's interesting about the NBDL actually being used, well, USEFULLY.

I don't know what he means by "survive". I'd be more likely to watch an NBDL team if it had players from the Pacers on it.

Most interesting to me would be the abolition of the luxury tax. Explains the Pacers allowing payroll to grow to disturbing levels?

It is common sense that those six and seven year contracts be shortened to five years. That is even too long for a guaranteed contract. Too many bad things can happen to a player.

Mandating smaller annual raises is also a common sense measure if there is no luxury tax.

I hope what Vecsey writes becomes reality.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I read somewhere else that the owners are still bargaining for four-year contracts.

That seems about right to me. Three is too short, IMO.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Of course, shorter contracts means stars can bolt from the team since they have more chances
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's why you don't want a limit that's too short, and it can be counter-balanced by making sure "Bird rights" still have some bite to them. IOW, the scales should still be tilted toward the star player's current team.

This is mostly to protect the owners from GM's that overpay or give deals that are too long.

The NBA is still dealing with the aftershocks of Glenn Robinson's obscene rookie contract.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they can reach agreement that quickly and easily then there must not be any disagreement over Der Fuhrer's actions and thus no change in his power.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..