Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with JO?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What is wrong with JO?

10 points on 4-19 shooting tonight. And he's been slumping over the last week or so.

Is he hurt, or tired, or both? If so, he should really consider taking the All-Star Game off...
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What is wrong with JO?

JO has struggled ever since Tinsley has been out if you really think about it. If he still struggles after Tinsley comes back though....

JO also got owned by Pryzbilla tonight. That was painful to watch.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

He is going to have alot of time off, going to play in the All-Star game is like a break. He probably wont play more then 10-15 minutes in it.

I think JO is just tired, he will be back to his regular self after the break.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He has multiple injuries, hes probably tired from carrying all the load the last couple of games. He will be back to his normal self after the All-Star break. And adding Tinsley will help also.

Mood

Injuries, he's tired, and law of averages (he was hot a few games ago shooting 60%)

I still think it's a bad idea for him to even be going to the All-Star game. And if he plays 10-15 minutes I'm gonna be pissed.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Why would you be pissed if he doesnt play alot of minutes? I would want to see him play 35 minutes in the game but I think its the best for him if he doesnt play alot.

Wrong way. I'd like to see him play 4-6 minutes!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think it's a bad idea for him to even be going to the All-Star game. And if he plays 10-15 minutes I'm gonna be pissed.
    Well, you're probably going to be pissed. He'll play about 20 to 25 minutes, 8 to 10 in the first half, 12 to 15 in the 2nd, I'd imagine. He'll be part of the crunchtime five, with Iverson, Wade, LeBron, and Shaq.

Do you think it's possible that the opposition has figured out the best way to contain JO? He's been getting fewer and fewer opportunities inside his comfort zone.

IndyToad
    Fired out of a cannon

JO has been burnt out from having to carry the team offensively. This is one area where having Ron would help, taking some of the low post duties away from JO. I really like Jermaine much better when he focuses on defense and rebounding, and he hasn't had the energy to lately.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

NewType

I was a bit troubled by one of Quinn's comments last night. He said looking at JO's face, it seemed JO didn't want to be there. I don't know if it is fatique/injury/disappointment/frustration, but it's concerning.

Is it possible that since RC has changed the offense up a bit that JO is simply just not getting the looks he use to?

Quote Originally Posted by NewType
    I was a bit troubled by one of Quinn's comments last night. He said looking at JO's face, it seemed JO didn't want to be there. I don't know if it is fatique/injury/disappointment/frustration, but it's concerning.
    Probably pouting because the ball doesn't get dumped down to him as much since they're relying on the pick and roll and ball movement a little more.

NotLosingButWinning

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    Is it possible that since RC has changed the offense up a bit that JO is simply just not getting the looks he use to?

i just think he's missing shots that he had been making. he missed a lot of easy jumpers. i think changing the offense will help him get better looks because the defense won't be able to focus in on him as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    Rick has opened the offense up a little bit because JO is getting worn out.

Unfortunately, I think once JO gets his legs back that Rick will once again start dumping the ball into the post possession after possession.

The Pacers do seem to do better when they run an equal-opportunity offense, open it up a little bit, and not just be single faceted by dumping the ball into Jermaine time after time. At the same time, they are not wearing out their best player.

Then why don't they simply mix it up a little bit. It seems that it's either open the offense or dump the ball. why not just mix it up during the game instead of game by game?

I've noticed that really good things happen when they move the ball consistently. I just don't understand why they don't continue staying with what works or at least like I said mix it up.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I mentioned in the game report two things I noticed right off.

one) He was getting hammered.....and I mean hammered with no calls....does that lead to frustration?

two) He was not elevating to take his shots except on that one frustration slam-dunk late in the 4th last night. He's tired.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

NotLosingButWinning

even if rc doesn't want to open the offense up, i don't think he has much of a choice. j.o. missed 15 games and is still worn out because he has to carry so much of the offensive load. if they keep pounding it in to j.o. he'll be ineffective at the end of the season.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

It's been reported JO is Struggling with some Injuries and a Back Injury being one of those injuries , having such a injury is gonna affect your shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    It's been reported JO is Struggling with some Injuries and a Back Injury being one of those injuries , having such a injury is gonna affect your shooting.
    The two others are reportedly his knees and his feet, both are exhaustion signals afaik.

It does however easily explain why he has no elevation on his shots.

Not getting any calls while 2 - 3 people are hanging on you every possesion is usually not ideal for your disposition.

Reggie getting the shots is not something that bother(s)ed JO one bit.

oops forgot; he's also reported to (liek Jeff) have a hip pointer (whatever the heck they mean by that)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    Do you think it's possible that the opposition has figured out the best way to contain JO? He's been getting fewer and fewer opportunities inside his comfort zone.

IndyToad
    Fired out of a cannon
    Bingo.

I imagine he's somewhat tired.

But JVG and Fratello pulled thier defense right out of SVG's playbook last weekend, and to some extent Cheeks copied it again last night.

Push JO out away from the low post. Make him a face-the-basket jump shooter. Take away the jump hook and the spin move in the paint. That's the way the scouting report says to try slow him down. And we've seen teams execute that strategey pretty well lately. Last May, we had Ron in position to feed on all of JO's table scraps against Miami. Right now we really need to find some guys to consistently step up into that void, so that teams can't affort to send three guys at JO.

Let's also give him credit, he's not forcing a lot of shots in the triple team. He's helping to move the ball around. Unfortunately, he feels compelled to take too many face-up jumpers, and that's not his strength. But I guess a JO face-up jumper is better than many of our other offensive options, except on nights that Reggie uses his floater and gets to the FT line like he did last night.

I know UB thinks you can do those things by fronting him. But what's happening is that he's getting pushed around by a swarm of physically strong post defenders.

IMO, its a combination of opponent's game plans and the extra fatigue of working so hard to carry this team through the twenty games or so in January before SJax returned. (Yes I know it was officially only fifteen games, I'm also saying it took SJax a few games before he was making positive contributions).

So to answer the premise of the thread. Nothing is "wrong" with JO besides a slightly higher than normal pre-ASG fatigue. He should go and play whatever minutes they ask him to play this weekend. He still has less than one game over the next six days, so he'll get plenty of rest. He'd be traveling off to a beach somewhere if he didn't play, so traveling to Denver won't wear him out.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

True, Jo had 2-3 men on his every move with the ball, add in not jumping and he gets alot of his shots blocked (many of which should have been whistled but weren't).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Jay I think you're grossly ignoring JO's injuries. (Don't have time for more right now)