Page 307 of 327 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,675 of 8174

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

At the risk of becoming the most hated poster in the history of PD, what trade has Bird made that makes either of you trust him to trade for a team builder? K. Leonard for Hill, Plumlee and Green for Scola, Granger for Evan Turnover or the McRoberts, Hansbrough, Lance trifecta of losing for absolutely nothing? I have not doubt LB knows more about BB talent than I do, but his trades so far have underwhelmed even a lunk head like me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of becoming the most hated poster in the history of PD, what trade has Bird made that makes either of you trust him to trade for a team builder? K. Leonard for Hill, Plumlee and Green for Scola, Granger for Evan Turnover or the McRoberts, Hansbrough, Lance trifecta of losing for absolutely nothing? I have not doubt LB knows more about BB talent than I do, but his trades so far have underwhelmed even a lunk head like me.
    Hw about drafting Paul George, locking Granger up in his prime for 12 million per year, getting Hibbert at pick #17, drafting Lance in the 2nd round etc. Every GM (including RC Buford) makes mistakes. I think Bird's moves have been more good than bad.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm not a very big fan of the guy, but Murphy for Darren Collison was a walk off grand slam.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I don't even know about Copeland anymore. I really wish we knew what we had with him. But considering he got the "rookie" treatment last season by Vogel? I am not sure where he even fits this season. I'd love to know if he still has his stroke he had with the NYK. Or if he's lost it? But we didn't see enough of him last season to know. Anything really.
    I know what he's capable of doing.......the same as what any FA can contribute while being paid $3mil a year.

I prefer to move him.......but if that is not an option.....I'd rather give him some minimal but consistent rotational minutes at the backup SF spot than let him sit on the bench while signing some vet minimum Player that won't contribute as much.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Hw about drafting Paul George, locking Granger up in his prime for 12 million per year, getting Hibbert at pick #17, drafting Lance in the 2nd round etc. Every GM (including RC Buford) makes mistakes. I think Bird's moves have been more good than bad.
    The only proper conclusion that I can come up with is that Bird is a "hit and miss" when it comes to running the Pacers. Given that there are Teams that have been run into the ground through years of really bad FO management ( << cough cough >> Bucks and Pre-ZenMaster Knicks ), I hate some of the moves that Bird has made.....but I will live with Bird running the show than other President of Basketball Operations that we have seen in the League.

I wish the FO was run better.....but honestly, it could have been worst.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-18-2014 at 09:07 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I see what you did there, G. I already said LB knows talent. His draft picks, for the most part have been solid(Tyler H.) not withstanding. IIRC, the Ps passed up at least 2 really good PGs to draft Hans? One guy said Murphy for Collision so I guess that's a good example even though the end results of that trade is where?
    Larry was one of my favorite players of all time, a much better Coach than I ever expected from an Hall of Fame player, and really good at picking talent in the draft. He just needs a little tweak at trading, IMO. Notice I did not blame him for Ian and Green tying up pretty good money for waaay to long.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The only proper conclusion that I can come up with is that Bird is a "hit and miss" when it comes to running the Pacers. Given that there are Teams that have been run into the ground through years of really bad FO management ( << cough cough >> Bucks and Pre-ZenMaster Knicks ), I hate some of the moves that Bird has made.....but I will live with Bird running the show than other President of Basketball Operations that we have seen in the League.
    I agree completely. I would hate to see Bird leave here. I think he has brought unintangibles to the team that hardly anyone else could bring. He is a huge part of the 'rebirth' of Pacer Pride and I'm very glad we have him. I'm also quite interested in how well the Zen Master will do as the head of operations instead the Coach. If his Coaching staff buys into what Phil brings, he may be a rousting success. If he can do anything to repair the salary structure of the Knicks, while winning, they should put his bobble-head in the rafters!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

sav

Gotta Play Big

I see what you did there, G. I already said LB knows talent. His draft picks, for the most part have been solid(Tyler H.) not withstanding. IIRC, the Ps passed up at least 2 really good PGs to draft Hans? One guy said Murphy for Collision so I guess that's a good example even though the end results of that trade is where?
    Larry was one of my favorite players of all time, a much better Coach than I ever expected from an Hall of Fame player, and really good at picking talent in the draft. He just needs a little tweak at trading, IMO. Notice I did not blame him for Ian and Green tying up pretty good money for waaay to long.
    Bird does not have a great track record trading for talent. But it's not all bad. Like you say, moving Murphy was a big win. Ian is an under rated backup C...very good defensively IMO...and still fairly young. Scola was not the steal many thought at the time, but keep in mind he played on a much better team than Phoenix where he didn't have to play in a lot of hotly contested games like the Pacers last year. I seriously doubt Gerald would play that well if he returned. Kawhi Leonard was a missed draft pick, not a missed trade IMO. DWest was acquired which you have to give him credit for that, although that's a product of him building a team largely though the draft. So, generally, I would say he's at the very best average trading NBA players...probably a C or C-.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    He did only shoot .418 from three last year which was .003 worse than the year before, so he probably should be cut so we can make room for a scorer.
    Hehe. Careful dude, sarcasm goes over the head of a lot of posters here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

We already have 9 Players ( not including Rudez ) that will get minutes:

GH/Stuckey/Miles/West/Hibbert/Watson/Solo/Scola/Mahinmi with Players like Copeland and Rudez waiting in line for minutes.
    We had a 9 player rotation last year, but that was with George/Stephenson/(Granger|Turner) taking up all the wing minutes. George and Stephenson lead the team in minutes last year, and we're replacing them with a pretty nondescript bunch, so I doubt very much we go with a 3 wing rotation again this year. Minimum of 4 IMO, which at the moment would be Stuckey/Miles/S. Hill/Rudez i.e. all our available wings.

I think we clearly need more wing depth. OTOH, our big man rotation is as deep as last year's.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He traded Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu for Brandon Rush, Jarrett Jack, and Josh McRoberts.

So in a 5 player swap, he got the three best players in the trade.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    We had a 9 player rotation last year, but that was with George/Stephenson/(Granger|Turner) taking up all the wing minutes. George and Stephenson lead the team in minutes last year, and we're replacing them with a pretty nondescript bunch, so I doubt very much we go with a 3 wing rotation again this year. Minimum of 4 IMO, which at the moment would be Stuckey/Miles/S. Hill/Rudez i.e. all our available wings.

I think we clearly need more wing depth. OTOH, our big man rotation is as deep as last year's.
    I look for Vogel to play some small ball this year with Watson and GHill in the back court at the same time. GHill, Watson, Stuckey and a little bit of Miles will be the back court rotation. Miles and Solo will man the SF...in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I look for Vogel to play some small ball this year with Watson and GHill in the back court at the same time. GHill, Watson, Stuckey and a little bit of Miles will be the back court rotation. Miles and Solo will man the SF...in my opinion.
    Its not small ball unless you don't play a PF or Center.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    He traded Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu for Brandon Rush, Jarrett Jack, and Josh McRoberts.

So in a 5 player swap, he got the three best players in the trade.
    I believe he made that swap with current Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard if I'm not mistaken.

Referee Dick Bavetta retiring after record 2,635 straight games

Official release
    Posted Aug 19, 2014 2:13 PM

NEW YORK -- NBA President, Basketball Operations Rod Thorn announced today that longtime NBA referee Dick Bavetta will be retiring after 39 years of service.

Bavetta, who began his NBA career on Dec. 2, 1975, at Madison Square Garden in a game between the New York Knicks and the Boston Celtics finished with a record 2,635 consecutive regular season games officiated, having never missed an assigned game throughout his entire career. Bavetta also officiated 270 Playoff games including 27 Finals games.
    Full story at
    http://www.nba.com/2014/news/08/19/d...=iref:nbahpt3c

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Its not small ball unless you don't play a PF or Center.
    I stand corrected. A small back court with GHill and Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I stand corrected. A small back court with GHill and Watson.
    I'd rather see Stuckey at point guard. Starting. We need something new to look at. Hill walking the ball up 98% of the time makes me physically ill.

This is interesting, from Basketball Insiders.

To summarize: as their roster currently stands the 76ers will have to pay almost $17 million in bonuses to their players to meet the required minimum team salary. But if they trade for Amare Stoudamire at the deadline they'll be over the team mimimum at the end of the season while only having to pay him around $7 million. So they can save around $10 million by trading for Stoudamire at the deadline. The Knicks would save a bundle in luxury taxes. (no, I didn't check their math)

The Myth of The Minimum Team Salary: The NBA Collective Barging Agreement requires all teams to spend at least 90 percent of the salary cap. This season the NBA salary cap was set at $63.065 million, with the luxury tax set at $76.829 million. The NBA minimum team salary is $56.759 million.

This becomes materially relevant to the Philadelphia 76ers ($39.988 million), Milwaukee Bucks ($56.357 million) and Phoenix Suns ($51.834 million).

As of today, all three franchise are under the so called “floor.” The Suns likely get above it when they sign Eric Bledsoe and the Bucks likely get above it at some point before the trade deadline.

The one that creates the most conversation is the 76ers because they are roughly $16.777 million under the “floor.”

In previous Collective Bargaining Agreements, teams had to really spend that amount of money. However, under the current agreement, team salary is calculated on what’s on the roster at the end of the year, meaning the 76ers can and likely will run on the lean side for as long as they can.

It is simple economics. Why pay out more cash than necessary to field the team? The plan is to keep the flexibility open for teams over the luxury tax that may want to dump a salary at the deadline, when Philadelphia can extract assets for having the space.

What happens if the 76ers don’t meet the minimum at the trade deadline? They would be required to pay their existing roster the shortfall on a schedule agreed to by the Players’ Association.

So if the 76ers don’t meet the minimum, their existing guys get bonuses and the team gets to defer paying it until the end of the season.

What’s far more likely is that the long rumored Amar’e Stoudemire to Philadelphia deal gets done at the deadline. The Sixers take on Stoudemire’s $23 million salary cap number, which pushes them way over the minimum. They would only owe him roughly 30 percent of his remaining contract, so they’d end up paying him $7 million in cash and likely extract a draft pick or a rookie scale player for their troubles.

Flexibility in the NBA is currency – both figuratively and literally. The 76ers will likely meet the floor; they just are not incentivized in any way to do it before the trade deadline.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...trade-process/

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I'd rather see Stuckey at point guard. Starting. We need something new to look at. Hill walking the ball up 98% of the time makes me physically ill.
    You strike me as the type that could have the perfect girlfriend--smart, beautiful, loving, accepts you for who you are, the whole romcom ideal; but one night you guys are sleeping and she scratches you with her toenail in her sleep and you wake up and think to yourself, "**** this! I HATE feet. I'm not dealing with this ****. Time to find a new girlfriend."

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You strike me as the type that could have the perfect girlfriend--smart, beautiful, loving, accepts you for who you are, the whole romcom ideal; but one night you guys are sleeping and she scratches you with her toenail in her sleep and you wake up and think to yourself, "**** this! I HATE feet. I'm not dealing with this ****. Time to find a new girlfriend."

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This is interesting, from Basketball Insiders.

To summarize: as their roster currently stands the 76ers will have to pay almost $17 million in bonuses to their players to meet the required minimum team salary. But if they trade for Amare Stoudamire at the deadline they'll be over the team mimimum at the end of the season while only having to pay him around $7 million. So they can save around $10 million by trading for Stoudamire at the deadline. The Knicks would save a bundle in luxury taxes. (no, I didn't check their math)

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...trade-process/
    I'm not directing this at you Strummer.....but at the Writers of the Article that you posted. Did they just realize that the Sixers are doing this now?

The Sixers did the same thing last season with the Pacers and Granger at the trade deadline.......the Sixers are just waiting it out for the Knicks or the Nets ( both Teams that are way over the LT ) to make the highest bid before the Trade Deadline so that they can continue to stockpile 2nd round draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Nah. I've just had enough of Hill. He's too easily rattled by other teams pressure defense, he doesn't bring the effort every night, he's an average offensive player at best, not a great passer either. Just too many flaws.

Nah. I've just had enough of Hill. He's too easily rattled by other teams pressure defense, he doesn't bring the effort every night, he's an average offensive player at best, not a great passer either. Just too many flaws.
    That's all good and dandy, but getting a new PG isn't going to change the pace of play. I'm thinking West and Roy being slow have just something to do with the offense being slow. Just maybe.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

I'm not directing this at you Strummer.....but at the Writers of the Article that you posted. Did they just realize that the Sixers are doing this now?

The Sixers did the same thing last season with the Pacers and Granger at the trade deadline.......the Sixers are just waiting it out for the Knicks or the Nets ( both Teams that are way over the LT ) to make the highest bid before the Trade Deadline so that they can continue to stockpile 2nd round draft picks.
    Yes, they realized. That's why they wrote an article about it.

What I found interesting is that a lot of people might think "who would trade for Amare Stoudamires contract?" Well, it actually saves the 76ers $10 million to trade for that contract. Not counting whatever other assets the Knicks send their way.

I'm really glad I'm not a Phillie fan I'd have trouble being behind this strategy. I don't know why you couldn't build around Jrue Holiday. Do you continue to stockpile 2nd round picks and hope rookies work out? I can see getting a high pick in a given year, but this seems like there is no end in sight.
    Last edited by Speed; 08-19-2014 at 03:53 PM.