Page 307 of 327 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,675 of 8174

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

  1. #7651

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    At the risk of becoming the most hated poster in the history of PD, what trade has Bird made that makes either of you trust him to trade for a team builder? K. Leonard for Hill, Plumlee and Green for Scola, Granger for Evan Turnover or the McRoberts, Hansbrough, Lance trifecta of losing for absolutely nothing? I have not doubt LB knows more about BB talent than I do, but his trades so far have underwhelmed even a lunk head like me.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:


  3. #7652
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,304
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of becoming the most hated poster in the history of PD, what trade has Bird made that makes either of you trust him to trade for a team builder? K. Leonard for Hill, Plumlee and Green for Scola, Granger for Evan Turnover or the McRoberts, Hansbrough, Lance trifecta of losing for absolutely nothing? I have not doubt LB knows more about BB talent than I do, but his trades so far have underwhelmed even a lunk head like me.
    Hw about drafting Paul George, locking Granger up in his prime for 12 million per year, getting Hibbert at pick #17, drafting Lance in the 2nd round etc. Every GM (including RC Buford) makes mistakes. I think Bird's moves have been more good than bad.

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  5. #7653
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,319

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of becoming the most hated poster in the history of PD, what trade has Bird made that makes either of you trust him to trade for a team builder? K. Leonard for Hill, Plumlee and Green for Scola, Granger for Evan Turnover or the McRoberts, Hansbrough, Lance trifecta of losing for absolutely nothing? I have not doubt LB knows more about BB talent than I do, but his trades so far have underwhelmed even a lunk head like me.
    I'm not a very big fan of the guy, but Murphy for Darren Collison was a walk off grand slam.

  6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  7. #7654
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,281

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't even know about Copeland anymore. I really wish we knew what we had with him. But considering he got the "rookie" treatment last season by Vogel? I am not sure where he even fits this season. I'd love to know if he still has his stroke he had with the NYK. Or if he's lost it? But we didn't see enough of him last season to know. Anything really.
    I know what he's capable of doing.......the same as what any FA can contribute while being paid $3mil a year.

    I prefer to move him.......but if that is not an option.....I'd rather give him some minimal but consistent rotational minutes at the backup SF spot than let him sit on the bench while signing some vet minimum Player that won't contribute as much.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

    sav

  9. #7655
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,281

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of becoming the most hated poster in the history of PD, what trade has Bird made that makes either of you trust him to trade for a team builder? K. Leonard for Hill, Plumlee and Green for Scola, Granger for Evan Turnover or the McRoberts, Hansbrough, Lance trifecta of losing for absolutely nothing? I have not doubt LB knows more about BB talent than I do, but his trades so far have underwhelmed even a lunk head like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hw about drafting Paul George, locking Granger up in his prime for 12 million per year, getting Hibbert at pick #17, drafting Lance in the 2nd round etc. Every GM (including RC Buford) makes mistakes. I think Bird's moves have been more good than bad.
    The only proper conclusion that I can come up with is that Bird is a "hit and miss" when it comes to running the Pacers. Given that there are Teams that have been run into the ground through years of really bad FO management ( << cough cough >> Bucks and Pre-ZenMaster Knicks ), I hate some of the moves that Bird has made.....but I will live with Bird running the show than other President of Basketball Operations that we have seen in the League.

    I wish the FO was run better.....but honestly, it could have been worst.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-18-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  11. #7656

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hw about drafting Paul George, locking Granger up in his prime for 12 million per year, getting Hibbert at pick #17, drafting Lance in the 2nd round etc. Every GM (including RC Buford) makes mistakes. I think Bird's moves have been more good than bad.
    I see what you did there, G. I already said LB knows talent. His draft picks, for the most part have been solid(Tyler H.) not withstanding. IIRC, the Ps passed up at least 2 really good PGs to draft Hans? One guy said Murphy for Collision so I guess that's a good example even though the end results of that trade is where?
    Larry was one of my favorite players of all time, a much better Coach than I ever expected from an Hall of Fame player, and really good at picking talent in the draft. He just needs a little tweak at trading, IMO. Notice I did not blame him for Ian and Green tying up pretty good money for waaay to long.

  12. #7657

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only proper conclusion that I can come up with is that Bird is a "hit and miss" when it comes to running the Pacers. Given that there are Teams that have been run into the ground through years of really bad FO management ( << cough cough >> Bucks and Pre-ZenMaster Knicks ), I hate some of the moves that Bird has made.....but I will live with Bird running the show than other President of Basketball Operations that we have seen in the League.
    I agree completely. I would hate to see Bird leave here. I think he has brought unintangibles to the team that hardly anyone else could bring. He is a huge part of the 'rebirth' of Pacer Pride and I'm very glad we have him. I'm also quite interested in how well the Zen Master will do as the head of operations instead the Coach. If his Coaching staff buys into what Phil brings, he may be a rousting success. If he can do anything to repair the salary structure of the Knicks, while winning, they should put his bobble-head in the rafters!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

    sav

  14. #7658
    Gotta Play Big
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,784

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see what you did there, G. I already said LB knows talent. His draft picks, for the most part have been solid(Tyler H.) not withstanding. IIRC, the Ps passed up at least 2 really good PGs to draft Hans? One guy said Murphy for Collision so I guess that's a good example even though the end results of that trade is where?
    Larry was one of my favorite players of all time, a much better Coach than I ever expected from an Hall of Fame player, and really good at picking talent in the draft. He just needs a little tweak at trading, IMO. Notice I did not blame him for Ian and Green tying up pretty good money for waaay to long.
    Bird does not have a great track record trading for talent. But it's not all bad. Like you say, moving Murphy was a big win. Ian is an under rated backup C...very good defensively IMO...and still fairly young. Scola was not the steal many thought at the time, but keep in mind he played on a much better team than Phoenix where he didn't have to play in a lot of hotly contested games like the Pacers last year. I seriously doubt Gerald would play that well if he returned. Kawhi Leonard was a missed draft pick, not a missed trade IMO. DWest was acquired which you have to give him credit for that, although that's a product of him building a team largely though the draft. So, generally, I would say he's at the very best average trading NBA players...probably a C or C-.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  16. #7659
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,434

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He did only shoot .418 from three last year which was .003 worse than the year before, so he probably should be cut so we can make room for a scorer.
    Hehe. Careful dude, sarcasm goes over the head of a lot of posters here.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  18. #7660
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,434

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    We already have 9 Players ( not including Rudez ) that will get minutes:

    GH/Stuckey/Miles/West/Hibbert/Watson/Solo/Scola/Mahinmi with Players like Copeland and Rudez waiting in line for minutes.
    We had a 9 player rotation last year, but that was with George/Stephenson/(Granger|Turner) taking up all the wing minutes. George and Stephenson lead the team in minutes last year, and we're replacing them with a pretty nondescript bunch, so I doubt very much we go with a 3 wing rotation again this year. Minimum of 4 IMO, which at the moment would be Stuckey/Miles/S. Hill/Rudez i.e. all our available wings.

    I think we clearly need more wing depth. OTOH, our big man rotation is as deep as last year's.

  19. #7661
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,345

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of becoming the most hated poster in the history of PD, what trade has Bird made that makes either of you trust him to trade for a team builder? K. Leonard for Hill, Plumlee and Green for Scola, Granger for Evan Turnover or the McRoberts, Hansbrough, Lance trifecta of losing for absolutely nothing? I have not doubt LB knows more about BB talent than I do, but his trades so far have underwhelmed even a lunk head like me.
    He traded Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu for Brandon Rush, Jarrett Jack, and Josh McRoberts.

    So in a 5 player swap, he got the three best players in the trade.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  21. #7662
    Member sav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We had a 9 player rotation last year, but that was with George/Stephenson/(Granger|Turner) taking up all the wing minutes. George and Stephenson lead the team in minutes last year, and we're replacing them with a pretty nondescript bunch, so I doubt very much we go with a 3 wing rotation again this year. Minimum of 4 IMO, which at the moment would be Stuckey/Miles/S. Hill/Rudez i.e. all our available wings.

    I think we clearly need more wing depth. OTOH, our big man rotation is as deep as last year's.
    I look for Vogel to play some small ball this year with Watson and GHill in the back court at the same time. GHill, Watson, Stuckey and a little bit of Miles will be the back court rotation. Miles and Solo will man the SF...in my opinion.

  22. #7663
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I look for Vogel to play some small ball this year with Watson and GHill in the back court at the same time. GHill, Watson, Stuckey and a little bit of Miles will be the back court rotation. Miles and Solo will man the SF...in my opinion.
    Its not small ball unless you don't play a PF or Center.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

    sav

  24. #7664
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,188

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He traded Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu for Brandon Rush, Jarrett Jack, and Josh McRoberts.

    So in a 5 player swap, he got the three best players in the trade.
    I believe he made that swap with current Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard if I'm not mistaken.

  25. #7665

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Referee Dick Bavetta retiring after record 2,635 straight games

    Official release
    Posted Aug 19, 2014 2:13 PM

    NEW YORK -- NBA President, Basketball Operations Rod Thorn announced today that longtime NBA referee Dick Bavetta will be retiring after 39 years of service.

    Bavetta, who began his NBA career on Dec. 2, 1975, at Madison Square Garden in a game between the New York Knicks and the Boston Celtics finished with a record 2,635 consecutive regular season games officiated, having never missed an assigned game throughout his entire career. Bavetta also officiated 270 Playoff games including 27 Finals games.
    ...
    Full story at
    http://www.nba.com/2014/news/08/19/d...=iref:nbahpt3c

  26. #7666
    Member sav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    435

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not small ball unless you don't play a PF or Center.
    I stand corrected. A small back court with GHill and Watson.

  27. #7667

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I stand corrected. A small back court with GHill and Watson.
    I'd rather see Stuckey at point guard. Starting. We need something new to look at. Hill walking the ball up 98% of the time makes me physically ill.

  28. #7668

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    This is interesting, from Basketball Insiders.

    To summarize: as their roster currently stands the 76ers will have to pay almost $17 million in bonuses to their players to meet the required minimum team salary. But if they trade for Amare Stoudamire at the deadline they'll be over the team mimimum at the end of the season while only having to pay him around $7 million. So they can save around $10 million by trading for Stoudamire at the deadline. The Knicks would save a bundle in luxury taxes. (no, I didn't check their math)

    The Myth of The Minimum Team Salary: The NBA Collective Barging Agreement requires all teams to spend at least 90 percent of the salary cap. This season the NBA salary cap was set at $63.065 million, with the luxury tax set at $76.829 million. The NBA minimum team salary is $56.759 million.

    This becomes materially relevant to the Philadelphia 76ers ($39.988 million), Milwaukee Bucks ($56.357 million) and Phoenix Suns ($51.834 million).

    As of today, all three franchise are under the so called “floor.” The Suns likely get above it when they sign Eric Bledsoe and the Bucks likely get above it at some point before the trade deadline.

    The one that creates the most conversation is the 76ers because they are roughly $16.777 million under the “floor.”

    In previous Collective Bargaining Agreements, teams had to really spend that amount of money. However, under the current agreement, team salary is calculated on what’s on the roster at the end of the year, meaning the 76ers can and likely will run on the lean side for as long as they can.

    It is simple economics. Why pay out more cash than necessary to field the team? The plan is to keep the flexibility open for teams over the luxury tax that may want to dump a salary at the deadline, when Philadelphia can extract assets for having the space.

    What happens if the 76ers don’t meet the minimum at the trade deadline? They would be required to pay their existing roster the shortfall on a schedule agreed to by the Players’ Association.

    So if the 76ers don’t meet the minimum, their existing guys get bonuses and the team gets to defer paying it until the end of the season.

    What’s far more likely is that the long rumored Amar’e Stoudemire to Philadelphia deal gets done at the deadline. The Sixers take on Stoudemire’s $23 million salary cap number, which pushes them way over the minimum. They would only owe him roughly 30 percent of his remaining contract, so they’d end up paying him $7 million in cash and likely extract a draft pick or a rookie scale player for their troubles.

    Flexibility in the NBA is currency – both figuratively and literally. The 76ers will likely meet the floor; they just are not incentivized in any way to do it before the trade deadline.
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...trade-process/

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  30. #7669
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,188

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather see Stuckey at point guard. Starting. We need something new to look at. Hill walking the ball up 98% of the time makes me physically ill.
    You strike me as the type that could have the perfect girlfriend--smart, beautiful, loving, accepts you for who you are, the whole romcom ideal; but one night you guys are sleeping and she scratches you with her toenail in her sleep and you wake up and think to yourself, "**** this! I HATE feet. I'm not dealing with this ****. Time to find a new girlfriend."

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  32. #7670
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,281

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You strike me as the type that could have the perfect girlfriend--smart, beautiful, loving, accepts you for who you are, the whole romcom ideal; but one night you guys are sleeping and she scratches you with her toenail in her sleep and you wake up and think to yourself, "**** this! I HATE feet. I'm not dealing with this ****. Time to find a new girlfriend."
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  34. #7671
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,281

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is interesting, from Basketball Insiders.

    To summarize: as their roster currently stands the 76ers will have to pay almost $17 million in bonuses to their players to meet the required minimum team salary. But if they trade for Amare Stoudamire at the deadline they'll be over the team mimimum at the end of the season while only having to pay him around $7 million. So they can save around $10 million by trading for Stoudamire at the deadline. The Knicks would save a bundle in luxury taxes. (no, I didn't check their math)


    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...trade-process/
    I'm not directing this at you Strummer.....but at the Writers of the Article that you posted. Did they just realize that the Sixers are doing this now?

    The Sixers did the same thing last season with the Pacers and Granger at the trade deadline.......the Sixers are just waiting it out for the Knicks or the Nets ( both Teams that are way over the LT ) to make the highest bid before the Trade Deadline so that they can continue to stockpile 2nd round draft picks.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  35. #7672

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You strike me as the type that could have the perfect girlfriend--smart, beautiful, loving, accepts you for who you are, the whole romcom ideal; but one night you guys are sleeping and she scratches you with her toenail in her sleep and you wake up and think to yourself, "**** this! I HATE feet. I'm not dealing with this ****. Time to find a new girlfriend."
    Nah. I've just had enough of Hill. He's too easily rattled by other teams pressure defense, he doesn't bring the effort every night, he's an average offensive player at best, not a great passer either. Just too many flaws.

  36. #7673
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah. I've just had enough of Hill. He's too easily rattled by other teams pressure defense, he doesn't bring the effort every night, he's an average offensive player at best, not a great passer either. Just too many flaws.
    That's all good and dandy, but getting a new PG isn't going to change the pace of play. I'm thinking West and Roy being slow have just something to do with the offense being slow. Just maybe.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  37. #7674

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not directing this at you Strummer.....but at the Writers of the Article that you posted. Did they just realize that the Sixers are doing this now?

    The Sixers did the same thing last season with the Pacers and Granger at the trade deadline.......the Sixers are just waiting it out for the Knicks or the Nets ( both Teams that are way over the LT ) to make the highest bid before the Trade Deadline so that they can continue to stockpile 2nd round draft picks.
    Yes, they realized. That's why they wrote an article about it.

    What I found interesting is that a lot of people might think "who would trade for Amare Stoudamires contract?" Well, it actually saves the 76ers $10 million to trade for that contract. Not counting whatever other assets the Knicks send their way.

  38. #7675
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,599

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    I'm really glad I'm not a Phillie fan I'd have trouble being behind this strategy. I don't know why you couldn't build around Jrue Holiday. Do you continue to stockpile 2nd round picks and hope rookies work out? I can see getting a high pick in a given year, but this seems like there is no end in sight.
    Last edited by Speed; 08-19-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •