Page 218 of 327 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 8174

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am sure that there are other more valid reasons as to Hibbert is quietly being shopped other than Lance not wanting to play with him.
    One reason I thought of for Roy being "quietly" shopped is to find out what kind of value he has, whether they really want to trade him or not.

They could call all the other teams to see who is interested. But then those teams think you're motivated to move him and they're not going to make their best offers. But if it gets out that you're "quietly" shopping him then teams that want him will contact you. It puts the pressure on them to make an offer that will get your attention. It puts you in the drivers seat. And who knows, maybe someone would offer something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m

Free agent guard DJ Augustin has reached a two-year, $6 million deal with the Detroit Pistons, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

When I see these 2 year deals, I want to know if the 2nd year has options. It interesting to me how the contracts are set up.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Who's the real D.J. Augustin? The one who played poorly for the Pacers and Raptors, or the one who was really good with Chicago?
    Detroit will find out which one.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    The problem with Ian is his salary. There are other 'rim protectors' that could be had cheaper. Besides, if the rest of your team is playing solid defense, you should not need a 'rim protector'.
    Im curious can you name a few? I like Ian and thought he was paid salary wise on par for players not on rookie deals. Maybe not gave him 4 years but salary is reasonable IMO.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    financial that doesn't make much sense for the Pacers
    Which is one reason the offer should have limitations. I'm sure Larry doesn't plan on waiting until the end of summer for Lance to make up his mind after all the other free agents are gone.
    If it goes too long Larry has every right to pull the offer and come back to the table with a lower # considering how the players we've already signed effects our room under the LT.
    Personally I hope he pulls off a sign and trade of Lance for Dragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post

How dumb is Dallas paying Parsons instead of Lance?

Dallas needs a SF, and Stephenson isn't a SF.

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    Im curious can you name a few? I like Ian and thought he was paid salary wise on par for players not on rookie deals. Maybe not gave him 4 years but salary is reasonable IMO.
    Salary is ok, 4 year guaranteed contract isn't.

They are dumb why? Parsons stats are similar to Lance in every category. Except Parsons outscored Lance 16.6 to 13.8. Parsons has higher basketball IQ and better team player. I would take Parsons every time.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    The problem with Ian is his salary. There are other 'rim protectors' that could be had cheaper. Besides, if the rest of your team is playing solid defense, you should not need a 'rim protector'.
    The rest of the defense is designed to funnel the opposing Team's scorer to the paint and into the hands of the Rim Protector. When we get away from that.....or Hibbert takes his yearly sabatical from the Team.....the defense falls apart.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    Birdman back to Heat
    Caron Butler to Detroit for 2 yrs 9 mil

Lance taking his sweet *** time...
    2yr 9 mil for Butler. Weird. Detroit just won't use their money well no matter who's the GM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

I think it's a really cool team. They already have Monta. A shooter / passer / slasher like Parsons makes more sense, IMO. Monta/Parsons/Chandler is like Houston light. Plus Dirk. Plus one of the best coaches in the league.

I don't know who'll play defense, maybe they can still sign some people. But it should be an even more fun team than last year. A very dynamic team. There will be lots of passing and lots of space.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    They are dumb why? Parsons stats are similar to Lance in every category. Except Parsons outscored Lance 16.6 to 13.8. Parsons has higher basketball IQ and better team player. I would take Parsons every time.
    Different players, though. When he's focused, Lance's defense is much better. Parsons is pretty terrible (although he was an ok defensive player in his rookie year, so maybe that's salvageable). Lance is much better at creating own shot. Parsons is a much smarter player. Even taking Lance's good with the bad, I'd say Lance is a considerably better defender and scorer. But if I already had Monta, I'd rather get Parsons.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's a mistake for them for one reason.

Chandler Parsons just isn't a 15 million a year player.

Lance isn't either at this point but he isn't going to get 15 a year right now.

Parsons is gonna be considered one of the most overpaid players in the league within 2 years, watch.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Unguaranteed Salary contracts seem to have a lot of value these days.
    Not really. Well it depends on what you mean by "a lot of value". CHA acquired Hopson + cash for Brendan Haywood and their 2nd rounder, then sold Hopson's unguaranteed deal to the Pellies for more cash. It's true that it's more value than a guy like Hopson would normally merit, but it's not exactly a lot either.

Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    I agree. I definitely see Lance trying to work in an option after a year or two to "sweeten" the deal.
    Options can now only be on the last year of a contract. So in our offer to Lance, the option can only be on the 5th year.

Honestly I hope that Lance prefers the security of a 5 year deal, because otherwise a team like CHA or ATL could probably nab Lance with a 2 year, $20m deal.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Not really. Well it depends on what you mean by "a lot of value". CHA acquired Hopson + cash for Brendan Haywood and their 2nd rounder, then sold Hopson's unguaranteed deal to the Pellies for more cash. It's true that it's more value than a guy like Hopson would normally merit, but it's not exactly a lot either.
    The Raptors was able to trade Salmon's Unguaranteed Salary to the Hawks for LouWill. Now, LouWill has been oft injured....but I think that he's a quality 1st Wing off the bench.

Maybe "A LOT" of value is the wrong word here....but I think that unguaranteed Salaries have enough value that ( in the right situation ), it can yield some quality Assets in return.

That is the main reason why I think that Scola will be on the Pacers roster until January 2015 ( or whenever Unguaranteed Salaries....becomes guaranteed ). Regardless of whether we are chalked full of Backup Frontcourt Players.....Scola's main value will be that he could be used as a trading asset. That doesn't mean that he will be.....I'm just saying that Bird will likely keep him in his back pocket just in case the need arises.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

Options can now only be on the last year of a contract. So in our offer to Lance, the option can only be on the 5th year.

Honestly I hope that Lance prefers the security of a 5 year deal, because otherwise a team like CHA or ATL could probably nab Lance with a 2 year, $20m deal.
    The way I am with Lance currently, I actually only feel comfortable with a 3 year contract or so...scary thought to me to give 5 years...I'd much rather do 3/33 than 5/44 but obviously the Pacers don't have much choice with cap situation.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    2yr 9 mil for Butler. Weird. Detroit just won't use their money well no matter who's the GM.
    More than 2x Danny Granger's deal. I know people think Danny's done, but IMO Caron is pretty much in the same boat. Worse maybe, since he's 3 years older.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I think it's a mistake for them for one reason.

Chandler Parsons just isn't a 15 million a year player.

Lance isn't either at this point but he isn't going to get 15 a year right now.

Parsons is gonna be considered one of the most overpaid players in the league within 2 years, watch.
    The cap will be at 80 mil in two years, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him opt out in 2 years.

He's not worth 15 mil as a player, but you overpay for restricted free agents. I think it's ok to have him for a couple years, as opposed to getting someone who doesn't fit so well to the current team, or as opposed to getting no one and keeping flexibility. Their window as a team is very short.

As a bonus, they got to mess up their division / state rival. Houston went from Parsons, Asik and Lin to Ariza. That's worth something too to Dallas.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2nd year is a team option dude. It's essentially one year for $4.5 million, which is fine by me. He can fill in for a year at SF.

All we need from him is defense and accurate outside shooting. Last I checked, he can still do both of those things.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Who's the real D.J. Augustin? The one who played poorly for the Pacers and Raptors, or the one who was really good with Chicago?
    Very fair question. I ripped him for the better part of 2 years when he was in Indiana and Toronto and the he goes to Chicago and is arguably the top 3rd guard in the east.

At the price we got him, at least it's low-risk.

I'm satisfied with our approach to the offseason. We didn't swing for the fences, we hit a few singles and a double. Important to find guys that make drummond better.

Now we just have the Monroe issue to deal with and we're set.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-14-2014 at 03:13 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    2nd year is a team option dude. It's essentially one year for $4.5 million, which is fine by me. He can fill in for a year at SF.

All we need from him is defense and accurate outside shooting. Last I checked, he can still do both of those things.
    I don't know, he's kind of slow defensively at this point, he takes bad 2s and tends to stop the ball a bit too much for a scrub.

But if the 2nd year is a team option, it's not a tragedy.

Speaking of overpaid small forwards, Parsons would be perfect for SVG. Strong discipline to shoot 3s or drive to the basket, unselfish, great vision. A bit of Turkoglu there in terms of ball handling and passing. It's kind of moot because they probably had no room for Josh Smith, Monroe and Parsons, but he would be fun on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This has now gained an extra level of funny. This was made by Houston fans, right?

I don't know, he's kind of slow defensively at this point, he takes bad 2s and tends to stop the ball a bit too much for a scrub.

But if the 2nd year is a team option, it's not a tragedy.

Speaking of overpaid small forwards, Parsons would be perfect for SVG. Strong discipline to shoot 3s or drive to the basket, unselfish, great vision. A bit of Turkoglu there in terms of ball handling and passing. It's kind of moot because they probably had no room for Josh Smith, Monroe and Parsons, but he would be fun on that team.
    Parsons would be ideal offensively, but a great fit if we're going to run the offense through Drummond and Monroe. We need 3/D guys at the wing positions to make that work.

If we're going to pay Monroe and give Drummond the 5-year max (which we will) we can't afford to be spending $15 million a year on a perimeter player that isn't a dominant scorer nor defender.

Butler is a stopgap, but he's exactly the type of SF we're going after long term. Of our PG/SG/SF starters, two of them need to be low-usage support guys that are reliable shooters and plus defenders.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-14-2014 at 06:19 AM.

I'd be nervous about taking players who are part of a good offensive system. Parsons might work out in Dallas, but it may have been the system. And like was mentioned, he's a terrible defender at a crucial position. His half-assed effort is the main reason Lillard was so open for that series winner. It wasn't even a hard play to guard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    What if Larry has an agreement to trade Stephenson, once he signs, to the Suns as part of a package to get Dragic, but the Suns will only do it if Lance signs the 5/$44 deal. Maybe......maybe not.
    Makes for a good story. Chapter two would be Lance isn't sure he wants to go to Phoenix, thus the delay in the signing.
    Last edited by Tom White; 07-14-2014 at 07:38 AM.