Page 156 of 323 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 8062

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Lance brings a lot of positives. And a lot of negatives. The questions are how they balance out, and what happens if you replace him with someone with fewer positives but with a whole lot fewer negatives.

Who knows, you might get more out of other players who were adversely affected by Lance's negatives. Sure, they should have been strong enough to have not been affected by them. But they were, IMO.

I want Lance back because I do think we will suffer, but I can see where the team may not be affected quite as adversely as one might expect to happen when replacing someone who should have been an all-star.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, I guess we might just find out. Just as you are entitled to your opinion, I have mine. I don't make fun of you for yours. Lance was a big reason this team won so many games. It's not hard to believe that a player of his level leaves there will be a falloff in team wins and performance. He led the team in assists for crying out loud. Is Hill going to make that up? I don't think so, he's a terrible passer. We all know PGs love for dumb passing. Not to mention the hustle and hard play he brings. Pacers are lacking in the hustle dept. Lance was one of the more consistent players on the team and was very efficient from the field.

We shall see. Glad you don't think Lance matters all that much.
    People seem to forget that we were a good team in the East prior to Lance's breakout season last year. We went to the ECF with Lance being a glorified 5th option glue guy. GH (the guy you seem to underestimate) showed that he can produce at a higher level that season. Roy and West are former All Stars. And PG has made a quantum leap as a player since then.

Losing Lance could hurt, but only if the rest of the team were to not step up. But lets not act like Lance is the poster boy for playing hard and all-out hustle. If that were true, there would be multiple teams reaching out to him with large like they are to Parsons, Hayward, Ariza, etc. He has his sloppy, "i-give-up" moments just as much as any other player.

Lance brings versatility, ball handling, among other things. He has talent, and certainly has value. But it's not irreplaceable value. But it's not impossible to think that his production could be replaced by other guys stepping up.

We need to see how the rest of the FA period and off-season shake out before we imply utter doom on the Pacers and their playoffs hopes.

I will say though; the overestimation of Lance gets silly at times. You would think we hadn't had any playoff success prior to last season with some of the comments that were made (not directed at Sparhawk)
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 07-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    So you're implying that the most likely probability is that without Lance we're not even a playoff team in the East?

And people wonder why I've gone to the sarcasm side of the Force.
    Okay let's put this to the test then.

If Lance signs somewhere else and we can sign no other significant free agents and we go into the season without a trade and the team as it is now is the team that plays for the season, where do you think they fall into the grand scheme of things? You don't have to pick a particular spot just go with top tier of the east (1-3) middle of the pack (4-8) or bottom tier (9 and beyond)?

For the sake of argument let's just put all the players back in their original teams as well. LeBron to the Heat, Anthony to the Knicks, etc.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

News!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

LBJ will probably announce his decision at halftime of the World Cup finals.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wyatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    LBJ will probably announce his decision at halftime of the World Cup finals.
    15 posts in 8 years? You're either a man of few words or an extremely slow typist.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

If Lance signs somewhere else and we can sign no other significant free agents and we go into the season without a trade and the team as it is now is the team that plays for the season, where do you think they fall into the grand scheme of things? You don't have to pick a particular spot just go with top tier of the east (1-3) middle of the pack (4-8) or bottom tier (9 and beyond)?

For the sake of argument let's just put all the players back in their original teams as well. LeBron to the Heat, Anthony to the Knicks, etc.
    I'm game. I still think we are a top 3 team in the East. And I say that confidently.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Jeff Caplan
    ‏@Caplan_NBA

Mavs GM Donnie Nelson tells reporters Chandler Parsons offer sheet has NOT been submitted to Rockets, so the 72-hour clock hasn't started.

---
    dang, pressure on Houston to get Bosh to decide, that may in turn get LeBron to decide,
    seemed to be the way we would end this free agency constipation. But we're still all plugged up.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

On EC playoffs. With the Bulls (if DRose 100%) and Lebron (either place) challenging the Pacers for the top two spots, imo. Wash / Toronto could put it together and be improved to be that level. Who am I missing? I see Lance as a loss for sure, but the East is so average its really impossible for me to not see them as a top 4 seed. I mean what was the difference in the 3rd seeds record in the East last year and the Pacers. So ya, I'll say 1-5 range even without Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I'm game. I still think we are a top 3 team in the East. And I say that confidently.
    I think if we lose Lance, as long as we can deal Hibbert, Hill, and West we will still be MAJOR contenders. When you look at our options, we have two who can replace West in the starting lineup. Copeland and LaVoy Allen. LaVoy has the shot range, but is younger and hasn't hit the ceiling on his game yet. He'd have to add some more post moves but the potential is there.

Copeland has proven last season he can start as a stretch 4. He isn't afraid to take and make big shots either. He will probably have to drop some muscle so he can regain his Knicks days quickness though. But dealing West, Roy, and Hill and getting back multiple pieces would be the way to go. Targets would include.......

Dragic
    Reggie Jackson
    Jeremy Lamb
    Jason Thompson
    Wilson Chandler
    Nate Robinson
    Kenneth Faried
    Brandon Knight
    OJ Mayo
    Troy Daniels
    Nick Young
    Jameer Nelson
    Rondo
    Isaiah Thomas
    Jeff Green
    Joe Johnson
    Deron Wiliams
    Josh Smith
    Greg Monroe

It can be done. For example, if we could deal West to Phoenix for Dragic. Or Hibbert to OKC for Lamb, Jackson, and Perkins expiring. Then move Hill and Solo to Sac for Jason Thompson. We'd be fine.

so.. we'll be better off replacing 4 starters rather than one?

:grimped:

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

^^^ You think dealing 3/5 of our starting lineup after already losing a starter makes us MAJOR contenders when we went to the ECF last season??

I think you might want to stick to 2K.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I think if we lose Lance, as long as we can deal Hibbert, Hill, and West we will still be MAJOR contenders. When you look at our options, we have two who can replace West in the starting lineup. Copeland and LaVoy Allen. LaVoy has the shot range, but is younger and hasn't hit the ceiling on his game yet. He'd have to add some more post moves but the potential is there.

Copeland has proven last season he can start as a stretch 4. He isn't afraid to take and make big shots either. He will probably have to drop some muscle so he can regain his Knicks days quickness though. But dealing West, Roy, and Hill and getting back multiple pieces would be the way to go. Targets would include.......

Dragic
    Reggie Jackson
    Jeremy Lamb
    Jason Thompson
    Wilson Chandler
    Nate Robinson
    Kenneth Faried
    Brandon Knight
    OJ Mayo
    Troy Daniels
    Nick Young
    Jameer Nelson
    Rondo
    Isaiah Thomas
    Jeff Green
    Joe Johnson
    Deron Wiliams
    Josh Smith
    Greg Monroe

It can be done. For example, if we could deal West to Phoenix for Dragic. Or Hibbert to OKC for Lamb, Jackson, and Perkins expiring. Then move Hill and Solo to Sac for Jason Thompson. We'd be fine.
    This ISN'T 2k you can't just throw players together and get results. Chemistry is a huge part of real basketball.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

I think if we lose Lance, as long as we can deal Hibbert, Hill, and West we will still be MAJOR contenders.

Please....stop this. Hey guys!!!!! I KNOW HOW WE CAN WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP! Trade EVERYONE, patch it up with superglue and duct tape, and start winning games, baby! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dragic
    Reggie Jackson
    Jeremy Lamb
    Jason Thompson
    Wilson Chandler
    Nate Robinson
    Kenneth Faried
    Brandon Knight
    OJ Mayo
    Troy Daniels
    Nick Young
    Jameer Nelson
    Rondo
    Isaiah Thomas
    Jeff Green
    Joe Johnson
    Deron Wiliams
    Josh Smith
    Greg Monroe

Were you familiar with a poster with the handle of "OlBlu"?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

So David West = Lavoy Allen or Chris Copeland (the skinny one)

Lifetime starter, starter on ECF team last 2 years, and BAMF = Two guys who teetered between rotation and never playing guys.

--------------

DWest, Roy, GHill, and Solo Hill < Dragic, Lamb (which one?), R Jackson, K Perkins, and Jason Thompson

Lifetime starter, starter on ECF team last 2 years, and BAMF/2nd in DPOY and 2 time allstar/starter on 2 ECF teams/player < Stud PG/rotation guy/key rotation guy/bad starter/rotation guy

EDIT: I would absolutely do this if the next Lebron was coming out in next years draft.
    Last edited by Speed; 07-10-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    so.. we'll be better off replacing 4 starters rather than one?

:grimped:

We'd have to replace Lance anyways. But you have to get younger and put another young player beside Paul. Hibbert and Hill you're moving simply because they no longer fit the program. Just like Calderon didn't fit the program in Toronto or Detroit. He fit well in Dallas though. Ultimately he was moved just to bring Chandler back but, when players no longer fit your program. You move them.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    So David West = Lavoy Allen or Chris Copeland (the skinny one)

Lifetime starter, starter on ECF team last 2 years, and BAMF = Two guys who teetered between rotation and never playing guys.

--------------

DWest, Roy, GHill, and Solo Hill < Dragic, Lamb (which one?), R Jackson, K Perkins, and Jason Thompson

Lifetime starter, starter on ECF team last 2 years, and BAMF/2nd in DPOY and 2 time allstar/starter on 2 ECF teams/player < Stud PG/rotation guy/key rotation guy/bad starter/rotation guy

EDIT: I would absolutely do this if the next Lebron was coming out in next years draft.

If we can get Dragic and Lamb in our back court via trades. All that's left is to find a functional center. You could deal for Jason Thompson. Or JJ Hickson. Both hit the glass better than Roy does. But to re-calibrate things a bit.......

IN THE EVENT LANCE LEAVES........

Move West to Denver for Faried and Hickson. For starters.

Jonathan Feigen
    ‏@Jonathan_Feigen

If Rockets get Bosh and can do both in time, they'd match Parsons' offer sheet, per source. If don't get Bosh, tough, close call on Parsons.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

Jonathan Feigen
    ‏@Jonathan_Feigen

If Rockets get Bosh and can do both in time, they'd match Parsons' offer sheet, per source. If don't get Bosh, tough, close call on Parsons.
    Just wondering, but if they are already planning on matching Parsons offer sheet IF they can get Bosh, why would they wait to see what happens with Bosh. Are they going another direction totally if they don't get Bosh?
    "What people think of as the moment of discovery is really the discovery of the question." -Jonas Silk

This whole LeDecision 2.0 comes back to Kevin Love and the Wolves. Wolves want Wiggins in that trade. Cavs are very hesitant to accept that because Lebron could easily leave them again in 4 years, Kevin Love could also leave the them high and dry. Wiggins though...well they have him locked up for the next 8 years or so if they want. Cavs are probably really burnt after getting left at the Alter so to speak by Lebron. He will leave them again. Also the reports of him only wanting a 2 year deal so that he can reset his contract with a higher max with the new CBA. You already know that Lebron will also have built in player options year 3 or 4 of any deal he signs. So giving up Wiggins is a huge risk for Cleveland because you could ultimately be looking at only a couple years of Lebron before he leaves. Of course Lebron must have Kevin Love in the fold as well.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

If they sign Parsons first, then they can't give the max to Bosh. If they sign Bosh to the max first, then they can sign Parsons.

So Dallas puts the Heat on Houston to put the heat on Bosh to (maybe) put the heat on LeBron.

Edit: Bath Township is in Cleveland so they are talking about his home there... he's gonna be a Cav tonight imo
    Last edited by PacerPenguins; 07-10-2014 at 02:06 PM.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

At this point I think the best thing that can happen from this Stephenson situation is a sign and trade.. I don't see s signing him

38. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

If we are standing pat with what we have now without Lance in the equation.....i think that we are a middle of the pack team. Assuming that DRose returns, I am fairly confident that they will add another Starting Quality Free Agent to their lineup...whether it be Lance or someone else. I think we have a fighting chance to win the Division....but Im not hedging my bets on that.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post: