Page 268 of 268 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268
Results 6,676 to 6,692 of 6692

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, very cool. Women are such an untapped...
    I think Paul George would disagree...sorry, had to
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Mo Williams just signed for 3.75 million bucks for 1 year with Minnesota. I am not too sure why a rebuilding team would be interested in overpaying Mo Williams, but whatever.
    Minnesota is not rebuilding. At least not until they pull the trigger on Love.

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...un-amazing.ece

Shawn Marion likely leaving Mavericks, says run was 'memorable, fun, amazing'

In his five seasons with the Mavericks, Shawn Marion never once got anywhere close to scoring or rebounding like he did when he was a double-double machine and a four-time All-Star with Phoenix.

And yet, he could see himself going down in history as a Maverick.

And maybe into the Hall of Fame as a Maverick, too.

The Matrix put the candle on his career birthday cake in Dallas when he, Dirk Nowitzki and Co. won the NBA championship.

“It was memorable, baby,” Marion said. “It’s hard to say it wasn’t fun. We had a great run and made the playoffs four of five years and won a championship. We set goals every year, and most years we reached them. And to win a championship, it was unbelievable. I wish we could have made a couple more runs at it, but it is what it is.”

It’s become clear that Marion — if he continues playing — won’t be doing so in Dallas. That’s what happens.

Maverick fans might grow to love and embrace and fawn over Chandler Parsons, who was brought in to be Marion’s replacement as the starter at small forward. But what they also might find themselves doing is sorely missing Marion.

He wasn’t the flashiest player, although his athleticism was on display periodically. When he got a head of steam going to the rim, defenders wisely stepped aside.

And Marion could defend. On a nightly basis, he had to check the other team’s best player, as long as it wasn’t a center. He guarded guards. He guarded forwards.

He didn’t always shut people down. But he typically made it harder for them to do their job, which is what playing defense in the NBA is all about.

“I hope people remember me as a basketball player,” he said. “I don’t care what position I play. I’m a basketball player.”

And a darn good one.

When people think of the 2011 championship team, they’ll obviously zero in on Nowitzki. They’ll remember Jason Terry’s heroics and Jason Kidd’s leadership. And, of course, Tyson Chandler’s passion and rebounding.

What will they remember about Marion?

“That he guarded the toughest dude out there every night,” president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. “He had to guard Kobe [Bryant]. He had to guard Kevin Durant. And he had to cover LeBron [James]. He did all that and did a terrific job for us.

“We’re definitely not sipping from the cup without him.”

Told about Nelson’s analysis of his defense, the 6-7 Marion said: “And D-Wade and LaMarcus [Aldridge]. You name ’em, I had to guard ’em. I take great pride in playing the game the way it’s supposed to be played and being competitive and leaving it all on the floor for my teammates.”

Speaking of his teammates in Dallas, at least two of them, Kidd and Nowitzki, will be in the Hall of Fame when they become eligible. Marion has a great shot, based on his numbers and his championship, of joining them.

That raises the question of whether he’d enter the Hall of Fame as a Maverick or a Phoenix Sun, with whom he was a four-time All-Star and posted some outrageous numbers.

“There’s only two teams, either the Mavs or the Suns,” Marion said. “But you know what? Just to go in would be enough. I don’t care who I go in as. I’m a basketball player. Some of the best times in my life were spent with both organizations.”

What cannot be disputed is that Marion and the Mavericks were the best team in the world in 2011. His name will be on that championship banner forever. And one day, his No. 0 should hang in the rafters at American Airlines Center.

Marion won’t forget how that team won the title.

“You know what? It was more how we just won it as a team, how we took it over,” Marion said. “We came into our own, and we were untouchable.”

Marion, by the way, disagrees with the theory that the Mavericks were the best team but didn’t necessarily have the most talent that season.

“I think we kind of did have more talent,” he said. “We had more depth and experience than any team. We were the most talented team at the time. I can’t argue that. You look at the starting five, and the depth we had at every position. We needed everybody on that team to win the championship.”

As for his future, Marion still wants to play. But he’s in no hurry to land anywhere. He knows with the Mavericks’ roster filled up that he won’t be in Dallas.

He’d like to have a shot to win a championship, but he knows those are difficult to come by.

“If I see something really comfortable, then I’ll do it,” Marion said. “Right now, I’m just staying with my [newborn] son and relaxing. It’s only July, man. We got two more months. We’ll just wait and see how it works out.”

No matter what, Marion has bonded with Dallas. He won’t leave, even though he will either end up with another NBA team this season or retire.

“It was an amazing run in Dallas,” he said. “Who knows what the future holds? But I definitely will be retiring in Dallas. I love living there. I’m building my dream home there, and that’s where I’ll spend most of my time.”
    Little surprising. I thought he'd retire in Dallas. Guess he's looking for a contender. I'd be happy to see Bird and Pritch have dinner with him.
    There's some individual stats at the end of the article that didn't format correctly in the copy/paste. Among active players, Marion ranks 3rd in rebounds and steals.
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 07-29-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 5_7_Clash View Post
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...un-amazing.ece

Little surprising. I thought he'd retire in Dallas. Guess he's looking for a contender. I'd be happy to see Bird and Pritch have dinner with him.
    There's some individual stats at the end of the article that didn't format correctly in the copy/paste. Among active players, Marion ranks 3rd in rebounds and steals.
    Looking for a contender!?! We are not talking about Orlando here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Marion's defense on Lebron in the 2011 Finals was outstanding.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Looking for a contender!?! We are not talking about Orlando here.
    Dallas is a playoff team but I don't think they've been an actual championship contender in a few years.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 5_7_Clash View Post
    Dallas is a playoff team but I don't think they've been an actual championship contender in a few years.
    We shall see. I think you could make a decent case they have one of the five best rosters in the entire NBA right now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Marion's defense on Lebron in the 2011 Finals was outstanding.
    Marion is one of the mort underrated players of our era. Went from being just an athletic 3 man, to one of the first modern era hybrid 4's, to having the ability to guard positions 1-5 on some nights.

He was absolutely a key ingredient to the Mavs upsetting Lebron and the Heat.

It's a pipe dream, but I'd love to have him on the Pacers in some capacity.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Marion is one of the mort underrated players of our era. Went from being just an athletic 3 man, to one of the first modern era hybrid 4's, to having the ability to guard positions 1-5 on some nights.

He was absolutely a key ingredient to the Mavs upsetting Lebron and the Heat.

He would absolutely solidify our backup 3 spot. I have a feeling a minimum deal may not cut it if he's leaving Dallas. To sign him, we would probably have to work a S&T with Dallas involving our exception or one of our bevy of backup big men.

I think he'd be worth it on a 1 year deal.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

I'd like to build a time capsule to 1999 so that the Pacers could draft him over Bender. He played junior college ball at Vincennes and wore 31 because of Reggie.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    He would absolutely solidify our backup 3 spot. I have a feeling a minimum deal may not cut it if he's leaving Dallas. To sign him, we would probably have to work a S&T with Dallas involving our exception or one of our bevy of backup big men.

I think he'd be worth it on a 1 year deal.
    While I like Marion I think PG/Solo/CJ have this position on lock.

I would be interested in bring back Rasul Butler for cheap though. Is there any news on this front?

We shall see. I think you could make a decent case they have one of the five best rosters in the entire NBA right now.
    Right now, I agree. Adding Chandler, Parsons, Nelson, Felton, and Jefferson in the off-season, their current roster is the probably the best they've had since 10-11. However, they're also losing Marion, Carter, Calderon, and Dalembert.

I think classifying any team as a contender before seeing how a new over-hauled roster works out is premature. Regardless, Marion isn't getting any younger and he obviously doesn't feel Dallas will be able to contend before he retires. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see him end up with the Cavs or OKC.
    Last edited by 5_7_Clash; 07-29-2014 at 11:57 AM.

While I like Marion I think PG/Solo/CJ have this position on lock.

I would be interested in bring back Rasul Butler for cheap though. Is there any news on this front?
    I have not heard anything about Butler, however, I think the Pacers currently have 15 players under contract. Only 2 of those contracts are not guaranteed, Sloan and Whittington. Barring any trades, the Pacers will probably release one of those guys as I think they will only carry 14 players under contract in order to be able to make some moves during the season, if necessary.

http://grantland.com/features/kyle-k...atlanta-hawks/

Fun article, wished we had more movement in our offense, maybe it will change with Lance not around, since he had a tendency to roam around the baseline when he did not have the ball.

Korver averaged a career high in minutes per game last season and nailed a ridiculous 47.2 percent of his 3s. He received some All-Star consideration, though not as much as he should have, since he doesn’t dominate the ball. He makes great money — just about $45 million in his career to date — though he still gives a lot of it away to his father’s church and other charities, and he made the final 19-man list for Team USA tryouts this week. Korver is a big name now, and he can’t believe it.

Korver loves sets like this because they let him move around. He sometimes surprises Budenholzer by breaking plays with cuts and picks he improvises. He just can’t stay still, even when a certain set calls for him to do so. “Bud is always getting mad at me when I move around,” Korver says. “I think he was just throwing me a bone with that play.”

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    The Obie mention was hilarious. The man was just ahead of his time... in the new NBA he'd probably be considered a genius.

That changed when Philly fired Ayers and hired Jim O’Brien, late of the Celtics, before Korver’s second season in 2004-05. In the team’s very first practice, Allen Iverson ran a two-on-one fast break with Korver filling the wing. Iverson dished to Korver behind the 3-point arc. Korver took two dribbles, nailed a 17-footer, and waited for the applause.

O’Brien was livid. He screamed for Korver to look down at the 3-point line. O’Brien told him that if Korver ever passed up another open 3-pointer, he would remove him from the game. Korver remembers one thought flying through his head during O’Brien’s tirade: This is awesome.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I think of Obie my lasting memory is his team chucking up terrible threes in a shootout they were clearly overmatched in and watching a 30-point lead balloon to 60 in about 18 minutes of game time.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

End of the line for a Pacer legend. And also an actual legend too.