Page 298 of 327 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,450 of 8174

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Greg Monroe has signed the 1-year qualifying offer to stay a Piston for one more season at $5.5 million.

He's unquestionably the best player ever to take that option.

There's no way this ends well for Monroe. David Falk i get is trying to save face and get leverage in future negotiations with other clients. But Monroe...there's no way this ends well for him.

Is he going to get offered more next summer than the 4 year $58 million the Pistons offered? If not then he just pissed away roughly $10 million so he can be in limbo for an entire season.
    Pretty sure I saw him on Twitter saying that was never offered to him...or at least something similar. Pistons risk losing him for nothing if not traded by deadline. Only reason he didn't get big offer was fear that Pistons would match anything and that would just be money tied up. Same goes for Bledsoe situation

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    forget best, ONLY that I can think of right?
    Kevin Serephin just did it.
    Spencer Hawes
    Nick Young
    Raymond Felton
    Marco Belinelli

Quite of few more, just can't think of them all atm.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

Hopefully Whittington can turn into something decent.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Greg Monroe has signed the 1-year qualifying offer to stay a Piston for one more season at $5.5 million.

He's unquestionably the best player ever to take that option.

There's no way this ends well for Monroe. David Falk i get is trying to save face and get leverage in future negotiations with other clients. But Monroe...there's no way this ends well for him.

Is he going to get offered more next summer than the 4 year $58 million the Pistons offered? If not then he just pissed away roughly $10 million so he can be in limbo for an entire season.
    Hope he doesn't get hurt or it could get even worse.

Did no team even make him an offer? WTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Did no team even make him an offer? WTH!
    Only Suns and 76ers have enough cap space to offer what Monroe wants.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Only Suns and 76ers have enough cap space to offer what Monroe wants.
    The Sixers still have $14+ mil in CapSpace?

Geez....what are they going to do with that?

My guess is that they will continue to hoard future 1st and 2nd round draft picks while taking on huge Expiring Contracts that Teams don't want anymore.

Apparently, they have some Draft Strategy....but I have no clue what it is other than hoarding Draft Picks. Maybe they are trying to pull off some Boston Celtics / KG / Ray Allen type trade scenario where they trade for some All Star?

I have no clue what they are doing.....
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

My guess is that they will continue to hoard future 1st and 2nd round draft picks while taking on huge Expiring Contracts that Teams don't want anymore.

Apparently, they have some Draft Strategy....but I have no clue what it is other than hoarding Draft Picks. Maybe they are trying to pull off some Boston Celtics / KG / Ray Allen type trade scenario where they trade for some All Star?

Saving capspace until they finally have to sign their rookies.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...ormed_det.html

According to Stan Van Gundy, neither Monroe nor his agent have contacted him about signing the QO. Might be a false alarm/scare tactic.

In any case, Monroe has yet to sign anything. Maybe he intends to and maybe he doesn't, but he has not signed it yet.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

The Sixers are all about taking advantage of the fact that most teams want to win now. Two years ago they realized they were stuck. They had some talent, but the Bynum trade flopping so miserably meant that they didn't have enough talent to really contend. And they had traded away two of their next four first round picks.

They've gotten really lucky with the way things have turned out too. Noel was supposed to be #1, but then he gets hurt and they get him for 6. Embiid was supposed to be #1 as well, but then he gets hurt and they get him at 3. Saric was a player who was supposed to go before their pick at 10, but then he decides to stay in Europe for two more years and not only were they able to get him, they were able to get one of their future picks back as well. They also get to send two seconds instead of a first to Boston if they stay in the lottery this year.

Their plan seems to be to amass all this talent, then try to add players in free agency right before the talent gets paid. Look at two offseasons from now. They'll have MCW, Noel, and Bennett from Cleveland going into their 4th year. They'll have Embiid going into his third year. They'll have Saric coming over from Europe. They'll have another likely top 5 pick going into his second year. They'll have several cheap 2nd round picks, so maybe one or two of those turn into role players.

They can roll into free agency that summer with enough money to sign two superstars (or 3 or 4 lesser players, etc.). Then after they make big free agency splashes, they can turn around and sign all those players in the following years using Bird rights.

It's a risky plan, but if your ownership gives you the time to do it, it's also the best way to get extra assets for free.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow! I thought he was supposed to be out until January. It looks like he will be ready for training camp.

Hopefully he can become our back up center after Mahinmi's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Hopefully he can become our back up center after Mahinmi's contract is traded.
    Minor, wishful modification.

"Shayne Whittington? I know nothing about him, so he has to be better than what the Pacers have!"

I'd be careful for what you wish for, you might just get it and find out it's not what you imagined. I would hope one would find out if Mr. Whittington could actually hold the spot, before I hoped it was his.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mahinmi really isn't that bad. As far as backup centers go, you could do far worse.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Mahinmi really isn't that bad. As far as backup centers go, you could do far worse.
    I agree. The worst thing about Mahinmi is his contract. $4 million per year seems high to me. In my opinion, he should be more along the lines of $2 million, $3 million tops.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I agree. The worst thing about Mahinmi is his contract. $4 million per year seems high to me. In my opinion, he should be more along the lines of $2 million, $3 million tops.
    Other teams probably thought that too when he signed that contract, hence, $4 million is what the team he plays for is paying.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't get the Ian hate. There are a number of teams he would start on.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

Thing to note, he may be medically cleared, but it is still up to Pacers Management about how much and how hard he practices, I suspect they will take it fairly slow, they probably do not want to see another injury.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post

Hopefully Whittington can turn into something decent.
    R U really expecting Vogel to give him PT? He'll be lucky if he gets Plumlee minutes with Pendergraph minutes at best this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

I really don't get the Ian hate. There are a number of teams he would start on.
    I can't say I've kept up with offseason moves, so who might those teams be?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    The Sixers are all about taking advantage of the fact that most teams want to win now. Two years ago they realized they were stuck. They had some talent, but the Bynum trade flopping so miserably meant that they didn't have enough talent to really contend. And they had traded away two of their next four first round picks.

They've gotten really lucky with the way things have turned out too. Noel was supposed to be #1, but then he gets hurt and they get him for 6. Embiid was supposed to be #1 as well, but then he gets hurt and they get him at 3. Saric was a player who was supposed to go before their pick at 10, but then he decides to stay in Europe for two more years and not only were they able to get him, they were able to get one of their future picks back as well. They also get to send two seconds instead of a first to Boston if they stay in the lottery this year.

Their plan seems to be to amass all this talent, then try to add players in free agency right before the talent gets paid. Look at two offseasons from now. They'll have MCW, Noel, and Bennett from Cleveland going into their 4th year. They'll have Embiid going into his third year. They'll have Saric coming over from Europe. They'll have another likely top 5 pick going into his second year. They'll have several cheap 2nd round picks, so maybe one or two of those turn into role players.

They can roll into free agency that summer with enough money to sign two superstars (or 3 or 4 lesser players, etc.). Then after they make big free agency splashes, they can turn around and sign all those players in the following years using Bird rights.

It's a risky plan, but if your ownership gives you the time to do it, it's also the best way to get extra assets for free.
    If their plan was actually this simple, other teams would do it. You did a great job explaining it, but winning actual games has to start somewhere. It seems like the Philly GM thinks he is smarter than everybody else with his losing, stockpiling players plan. This year, they will be just as bad as last year if not worse. You need to bottom out, and build your team gradually back up. Bottoming out every single year, and not competing in the actual games, has never been a successful re-building plan. I don't have a problem with the Embiid or Noel picks, but the Saric pick is taking the strategy too far. This isn't going to end well for Philly
    David "And One" West

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

I also think MCW is a bit over-rated. Sure he played well as a rookie, and proved he is a legitimate NBA player. I don't really see him becoming a franchise/all-star type player. Whatever Philadelphia is planning, having their team built around MCW is not a part of it
    David "And One" West

I would rather have kept Miles Plumlee......
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    R U really expecting Vogel to give him PT? He'll be lucky if he gets Plumlee minutes with Pendergraph minutes at best this season.
    No not this season, I am looking more towards future seasons.