Page 287 of 327 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,175 of 8174

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't a version of Brandon Rush what we kind of hope Solo to be at this point?
    She's pretty good, but can she translate those skills to basketball? I'm skeptical.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    She's pretty good, but can she translate those skills to basketball? I'm skeptical.

Well played, sir.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    So if the NBA decides to spread the wealth (National TV games) a little more, they wouldn't be a business anymore? Obviously the answer is yes, so I'm not sure why pointing out that the NBA is a business, is a good reasoning for putting a select few teams on a pedestal and serving scraps to everyone else.
    The NBA played 2,460 games last year in the regular season. ABC, ESPN, and TNT broadcasted 142 regular season games last year (5.7% of the total schedule). The Pacers appeared in 10 of those games. Just under 10%.

The NFL played 512 regular season games last year. ESPN, NBC, NFL Network, and Fox (one thanksgivign game) broadcasted 50 of those games (9.8% of the total schedule). The Colts appeared in 4 of those games. Which is exactly 8%. It feels like more because the Colts only play 16 games, this says more about the NFLs power to generate national TV games in proportion to it's schedule than it does about the NBA vs. the NFL though.

So if the Colts didn't get screwed then the Pacers really didn't either. And let's not even begin to pretend the Colts are not a HUGE national draw to begin with, we've been one of the 5 most recognizable franchises in the NFL during the NFL's greatest period of growth headlined by the NFL's premier superstar during that time period.

But again I say it is extremely difficult to compare the sports on any basis, but especially TV. The NFL is a MONSTER, just by pure accident that people eat the stuff up like candy. (We live in a country where every nascar race is nationally televised.....nascar) The NFL plays a fifth less games than the NBA, but proportionately gets twice as many games televised. If the NBA got to televise 10% of their games we would have been on national TV for probably close to 25-30% of our schedule.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-07-2014 at 02:58 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

None of that explains why the Knicks got more games than the Pacers/Grizz COMBINED.

Do you really think it would be bad for the NBA to lower national TV games for the, say, Knicks and/or Lakers, and give those slots to teams that have been competing in later rounds of the playoffs?
    Last edited by Since86; 08-07-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Also, note my last post doesn't include the NFL's weekly nationally televised 4:25 PM Sunday time slot which would add 16 more games to the schedule and jump the amount of games nationally televised by the NFL to 66 I believe, though it might actually be 68 due to flex afternoon scheduling in week 17. Regardless, that means the NFL has nearly 13% of their games Nationally televised.

BTW to those who says there is no bias, the NFC East had 16 primetime appearances last year plus 5 more in the FOX afternoon time slot, so that means out of your 66 nationally televised games, 21 of them featured an NFC East team. Hope we all enjoyed watching the Giants, Redskins, Eagles and Cowboys!

The NFL does get every team at least one national TV game (usually by pawning off the shittiest teams on Thursday, like this gem of Browns vs. Bills last year), while the NBA left 3 teams out in the cold last season, but they were all terrible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    shut up you idiots, SLICK'S GOING TO THE HOF THIS WEEKEND
    Which actually continues to show the NBA biasness.

The NBA has treated ABA teams like red-headed step-children for the past 30 years.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

None of that explains why the Knicks got more games than the Pacers/Grizz COMBINED.

Do you really think it would be bad for the NBA to lower national TV games for the Knicks and/or Lakers, and give those slots to teams that have been competing in later rounds of the playoffs?

I don't know for sure, but then again I am not a TV executive or an NBA executive so I'm going to venture that yes, it would be bad.

Plus the KNicks were a 50 win second round playoff team in the world's largest media market the year before, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they got that many national TV games and as my point clearly illustrated, the NBA only has so many national TV slots to go around, significantly less on a proportionate basis than the NFL has.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-07-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Also, I feel bad that this has taken this rumor page completely off topic, though I have found the conversation genuinely interesting I'm now going to bow out and let it return to regularly scheduled grimp trade suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    i don't get it
    He's saying that if the NBA were fair, Rick Mahorn, Lance Blanks, John Salley would be hall-of-famers.

Of course no one really thinks that of Rick Mahorn, Lance Blanks, John Salley; or of Travis Best, Chuck Person and Rik Smits.

He's just opining that we are all irrational homers incapable of any objective thought, unlike Pistons fans who look down on the rabble that is the unwashed masses of other fan bases, semi-smirking with an alien-like super-intelligence.

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 08-07-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I don't know for sure, but then again I am not a TV executive or an NBA executive so I'm going to venture that yes, it would be bad.

Plus the KNicks were a 50 win second round playoff team in the world's largest media market the year before, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that they got that many national TV games and as my point clearly illustrated, the NBA only has so many national TV slots to go around, significantly less on a proportionate basis than the NFL has.
    *cough* http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...rnights-again/ *cough*

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Yes, both teams ended up being much, much worse than they were originally thought to be. Particularly the Knicks. And even the Lakers when you consider how putrid they were without Kobe and Nash.

If the Knicks had been a 50 win team again and the Lakers had been a 45-50 win team again fighting for a playoff spot do you really think the ratings would have been that bad?

Also in this very article, it says the highest non-Xmas overnight for ABC was when the Knicks/Lakers played each other in a meaningless January game, which perfectly illustrates the media power of those two cities.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-07-2014 at 03:18 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If the NBA were fair, Mark Jackson, Travis Best, Chuck Person and Rik Smits would be joining him.

Nobody ever said that. EVER.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Yes, both teams ended up being much, much worse than they were originally thought to be. Particularly the Knicks. And even the Lakers when you consider how putrid they were without Kobe and Nash.
    Almost like national TV viewers want to watch good basketball, not big market basketball. The Knicks/Lakers (for example) always get primetime slots, simply because they play in NYC and LA. The NBA force-feeds that crap down our collective throats, when people will tune in to other non-big market teams that are actually good.

You put your best product out there, not your best markets.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    He's saying that if the NBA were fair, Rick Mahorn, Lance Blanks, John Salley would be hall-of-famers.

Of course no one really thinks that of Rick Mahorn, Lance Blanks, John Salley; or of Travis Best, Chuck Person and Rik Smits.

He's just opining that we are all irrational homers incapable of any objective thought, unlike Pistons fans who look down on the rabble that is the unwashed masses of other fan bases, semi-smirking with an alien-like super-intelligence.
    I'm saying anytime someone wants to infuse fairness into an argument about professional sports, rationality is no longer part of the discussion.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I'm saying anytime someone wants to infuse fairness into an argument about professional sports, rationality is no longer part of the discussion.
    When was fairness been brought up?

This point about the Knicks isn't said enough. The Knicks were a mild surprise to be as bad as they were last year.

The league screwed the pooch with the Lakers last season. With Kobe being hurt, it should have been no surprise that they were bad.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Almost like national TV viewers want to watch good basketball, not big market basketball. The Knicks/Lakers (for example) always get primetime slots, simply because they play in NYC and LA. The NBA force-feeds that crap down our collective throats, when people will tune in to other non-big market teams that are actually good.

You put your best product out there, not your best markets.

So the NBA was supposed to know ahead of time that the Knicks would be complete crap and the Kobe would break his leg? And even then how do the Knicks and Lakers compare to the Pacers or Grizz when they're on national TV?

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This point about the Knicks isn't said enough. The Knicks were a mild surprise to be as bad as they were last year.

The league screwed the pooch with the Lakers last season. With Kobe being hurt, it should have been no surprise that they were bad.
    I mean it's Kobe, you assume he's coming back from that achilles. They didn't know he was going to break his leg.

So the NBA was supposed to know ahead of time that the Knicks would be complete crap and the Kobe would break his leg??
    Nope, but that's the problem you run into when you overload certain teams. When you put most of your eggs in one basket, and the strap on that basket breaks, your screwed. Spread those eggs out a little more, across more baskets, and you won't lose as many eggs.
    Last edited by Since86; 08-07-2014 at 03:57 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe it is just me, but is the amount of nationally televised games we get doesn't matter to me one bit.

As long as I have league pass I can watch all of the games.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

So the NBA was supposed to know ahead of time that the Knicks would be complete crap and the Kobe would break his leg? And even then how do the Knicks and Lakers compare to the Pacers or Grizz when they're on national TV?
    Kobe suffered one of the worst injuries in sports at the end of the 2013 season. Everyone knew that the odds of him being good in 2013-14 after recovering from an injury at that age were pretty slim. Him getting hurt as soon as he tried to come back was pretty much the least surprising thing ever.

The Spurs made the Finals in 2013, yet got one ABC game last year. Am I really supposed to believe that a Spurs-Thunder or Spurs-Bulls game wouldn't get ratings? The NBA just plays the same 5 teams against each other on ABC. So boring.

The Knicks are not a marquee NBA franchise. They don't have much of a history and never have the elite stars. No one outside of New York cares about them. They don't deserve all of that exposure.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

And even then how do the Knicks and Lakers compare to the Pacers or Grizz when they're on national TV?
    I'd been looking even before you asked, but I'm not finding 2014 ratings like other years. I did, however, find that game 6 of Pacers-Hawks broke NBAtv's ratings record, which is crazy.

That figure represents a 237 percent increase over comparable coverage in the 2013 playoffs, the network says.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/hawks...elecast-nba-tv

Pacers were a big TV ratings draw last year, all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    They also don't play any defense. Westbrook and CP3 would eat Iriving alive. And probably Parker still dances on Irving.
    This. Cleveland already had 2 20-pt scorers. They didn't need a third. Lebron makes just decent players around him get 12. They did need rebounding which Love brings but they also needed defense to cover for Irving. Now they need defense to cover for Irving and Love. I never thought this a good deal for Cleveland. Love isn't what they need.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

If the NBA were fair, Mark Jackson, Travis Best, Chuck Person and Rik Smits would be joining him.
    Was that supposed to be in green? You can't be serious, right?

None of those guys should be in the hall.

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This. Cleveland already had 2 20-pt scorers. They didn't need a third. Lebron makes just decent players around him get 12. They did need rebounding which Love brings but they also needed defense to cover for Irving. Now they need defense to cover for Irving and Love. I never thought this a good deal for Cleveland. Love isn't what they need.
    Love is all anyone needs.
    Spoiler Spoiler: