Page 285 of 327 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,125 of 8174

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

  1. #7101
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This has been happening for 30 years. The NBA biggest growth was the 1980's, when Boston, with 4 hall of famers, consistently played the Lakers, with 3 hall of famers, in the Finals.
    And I'll point out that 30 years ago, there were only 23 teams in the NBA.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  2. #7102
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if you want to complain about anything, complain about the Cavs winning the lottery for the 3rd time in 4 years with the 9th best chance. That's basically the tipping point for everything that's happened since.
    This.

    If CLeveland doesn't win the lottery 3 months ago, Love is not a Cavalier right now and LeBron probably isn't even in Cleveland.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  3. #7103
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wiggins for Love when Minnesota had very little leverage is basically stealing. LeBron going to Cleveland is the best thing that's happened to Minnesota in the last 5 years.
    I agree. Minnesota was not getting Klay. This is the best a team can get. Wiggins has 4 years on a rookie contract. The Wolves have 3 years of accumulating talent around him before his next deal is even thought of.

  4. #7104
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,488

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. Minnesota was not getting Klay. This is the best a team can get. Wiggins has 4 years on a rookie contract. The Wolves have 3 years of accumulating talent around him before his next deal is even thought of.
    Exactly. The way I see it, the league as a whole honestly gets better from this trade if Minnesota can manage to not screw up.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. #7105
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Not to mention that in the last 20 years, the NBA has seen 4 lockouts.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  6. #7106
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    It is very possible Minnesota got the best player in this deal, and at 1/5 the cost for the next 4 seasons.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  8. #7107
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jordan was printing money for the last two decades and he was still the poorest owner when he bought in. NBA players are rich, but not nearly wealthy enough to buy an NBA franchise, especially with their spending habits.
    Alright I can go with that. But a collection of people with an NBA player in there can get a franchise. And they can make changes to the NBA that will not encourage a competitive league that has people flocking to the NFL stadiums.

  9. #7108
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. The way I see it, the league as a whole honestly gets better from this trade if Minnesota can manage to not screw up.
    They will. The best the ever have been was with KG. Every time since they have been horrid.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  11. #7109
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is very possible Minnesota got the best player in this deal, and at 1/5 the cost for the next 4 seasons.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  12. #7110
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright I can go with that. But a collection of people with an NBA player in there can get a franchise. And they can make changes to the NBA that will not encourage a competitive league that has people flocking to the NFL stadiums.
    Collections of people usually buy NBA teams, But rules are one guy has to pay for the majority of it, and he gets all of the control. I don't see another NBA player out there capable of being a majority owner when teams are going for half a billion dollars minimum.

    The majority owner has to be the whale of the group. Of course players can buy minority stakes, but they basically become glorified fans with no control.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  14. #7111
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,276

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I'll point out that 30 years ago, there were only 23 teams in the NBA.
    True. And through the popularity of two teams having "superstars teaming up", the NBA was able to grow to 30 teams.

    Thanks for making my point for me.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  16. #7112
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,932
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collections of people usually buy NBA teams, But rules are one guy has to pay for the majority of it, and he gets all of the control. I don't see another NBA player out there capable of being a majority owner when teams are going for half a billion dollars minimum.

    The majority owner has to be the whale of the group. Of course players can buy minority stakes, but they basically become glorified fans with no control.
    Yeah basketball players make a lot of money, but even in their ridiculous wealth they cannot afford an NBA team.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

  17. #7113
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True. And through the popularity of two teams having "superstars teaming up", the NBA was able to grow to 30 teams.

    Thanks for making my point for me.
    And then proceeded to have a lockout every 5th year (on average).... Which would support the point about how the NBA is growing in a manner that leads to.....more lockouts.

    EDIT: Or I should say every 7th year, to use that 30yr mark.
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  18. #7114

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Magic Johnson seems to be in a pretty good situation. He could - as the saying goes - Form a group - to purchase a team.

    It starts with a trickle.

  19. #7115
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,932
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Andrew Wiggins could go either way though, that's the thing. I can see why they made the trade, but Wiggins could end up being a massive flop.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

  20. #7116
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,932
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magic Johnson seems to be in a pretty good situation. He could - as the saying goes - Form a group - to purchase a team.

    It starts with a trickle.
    Magic Johnson was an international superstar, not many players are as good as him, nor received the type of money OUTSIDE of their basketball salary as he has.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

  21. #7117
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magic Johnson seems to be in a pretty good situation. He could - as the saying goes - Form a group - to purchase a team.

    It starts with a trickle.
    Magic owns 2.3% of the Dodgers and it cost him $50 million.

    Magic is the next-wealthiest NBA player after Jordan and he's worth roughly half of what Jordan is.

    Magic is on the bare cusp of being able to afford majority NBA ownership, and he'd have to sell off all of his assets to do so.

    The next man up after Magic is Shaq, and Shaq isn't even close.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-07-2014 at 02:06 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. #7118
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,276

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And then proceeded to have a lockout every 5th year (on average).... Which would support the point about how the NBA is growing in a manner that leads to.....more lockouts.
    Meanwhile, the NHL proceeded to lose a season and major league baseball had a World Series cancelled during those 30 years. The NBA has lost games twice and never had a season where there wasn't a champion.

    The NFL has had only one minor strike during that time, so you'll get no argument from me that the NFL is a lot healthier than the NBA.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  23. #7119
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,932
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meanwhile, the NHL proceeded to lose a season and major league baseball had a World Series cancelled during those 30 years. The NBA has lost games twice and never had a season where there wasn't a champion.

    The NFL has had only one minor strike during that time, so you'll get no argument from me that the NFL is a lot healthier than the NBA.
    NFL just has a much better system in place.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

  24. #7120

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magic Johnson was an international superstar, not many players are as good as him, nor received the type of money OUTSIDE of their basketball salary as he has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magic owns 2.3% of the Dodgers and it cost him $50 million.

    Magic is the next-wealthiest NBA player after Jordan and he's worth roughly half of what Jordan is.
    It starts with a trickle.

    Nothing is going to turn in the next 5-10 years. Certainly much longer than that if at all. I'm just saying what was once 0% is now > 0%.

  25. #7121
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NFL just has a much better system in place.
    which is easier to do when your sport is America's cocaine and everybody profits no matter how well or terribly they're run.

    The NFL is in much greater danger than the NBA is of imploding into itself, but yeah they're the undisputed king right now.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-07-2014 at 02:10 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  27. #7122
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It starts with a trickle.

    Nothing is going to turn in the next 5-10 years. Certainly much longer than that if at all. I'm just saying what was once 0% is now > 0%.
    If your argument is 20 years down the road, there are enough variables in that equation where you may as well be arguing all NBA owners in 2034 will be Chinese or martian.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  28. #7123
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meanwhile, the NHL proceeded to lose a season and major league baseball had a World Series cancelled during those 30 years. The NBA has lost games twice and never had a season where there wasn't a champion.

    Okay? But it's hard to argue about how the NBA is growing their prodcut the correct way over the past 30 years, when they're having a lockout every time the CBA ends. If it was a lockout, like the NFL, where they were arguing on how best to split profits, it's a good argument. When it's the NBA, and their continuing the argument on how to limit losses, it kind of makes you wonder "is there a better way?"
    “Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  29. #7124
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,797

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    which is easier to do when your sport is America's cocaine and everybody profits no matter how well or terribly they're run.
    And when you act like your league has more than 5 teams in it.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  31. #7125
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True. And through the popularity of two teams having "superstars teaming up", the NBA was able to grow to 30 teams.

    Thanks for making my point for me.
    They grew because they were the number one sport. And the NFL learned to market teams more than just players. And that system is more sustainable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •