Page 220 of 319 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 7971

Thread: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Offseason News, Trades, Rumors, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cap will be at 80 mil in two years, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him opt out in 2 years.

He's not worth 15 mil as a player, but you overpay for restricted free agents. I think it's ok to have him for a couple years, as opposed to getting someone who doesn't fit so well to the current team, or as opposed to getting no one and keeping flexibility. Their window as a team is very short.

As a bonus, they got to mess up their division / state rival. Houston went from Parsons, Asik and Lin to Ariza. That's worth something too to Dallas.
    IDK man, Parsons, Lin and Asik are gonna make well over 40 million combined next year. Ariza at half his salary is a much smarter move and will make them a better team in the end.

People have compared Parsons to Lance, but at that salary try comparing him to Paul George, or James Harden, or Russell Westbrook.

And I'm not discrediting him at all, he's a nice player. But he is not even close to 15 a year.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

The Wizards signed Pierce to a 2 year deal to free space for Durant in 2016

The Washington Wizards dipped their toe into the free agent pool on Saturday, signing forward Paul Pierce to a two-year, $11-million deal while letting Trevor Ariza leave to make $8 million per year in Houston over the next four years.

The reason for the switch reportedly has less to do with the current Wizards' roster than it does giving the team a shot at landing the big prize in 2016, Kevin Durant.

The Wizards reportedly opted for Pierce due to the shorter contract length, meaning he will come off the books right as Durant becomes available. According to CSN Washington, the hiring of Durant's high school coach David Adkins, along with the expiring contracts of Pierce and Nene in 2016 point to the Wiz gearing up to bring the Washington, D.C. native back home.

After watching LeBron pen a love letter to his hometown upon returning the Cleveland, it's hard to blame the Wizards for making a local pitch for the reigning MVP.

By Andrew Zuber @ TheScore.com
    http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/537316
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Durant isn't leaving OKC.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    LOL can you imagine Turner in Brad Stevens offense?

Well when Indiana played Boston last season? Turner had 17 off the bench and some nice moves in scoring the ball too. At the end of that game, Brad Stevens said something to Frank Vogel on the sidelines and Frank kind of gave a nervous laugh of sorts before the two went their separate ways. So it doesn't surprise me Boston is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by P_George View Post
    Pelican's pick alone won't be worth Rondo or Love even if you toss in those two average players. Beverly is good defensively, but he's not that great of a starter, same for Jones. I think people lose sight of how elite the players we're talking about are. Rondo has offensive limitations, but he's elite defensively and maybe the best passing PG in the league. Love is Love, all that needs to be said. Pelican's have Anthony Davis, Gordon, and Evans ... if they are all healthy, they'll be at the lower end of that 4-19 spectrum, probably somewhere from 12-19. Davis is a legit MVP candidate already if he can get some help and get some W's.
    Love, of course not. Love is a superstar. Even if Minnesota gets lowballed, it still will be more than that.

Rondo, I'm not so sure. I don't agree with most of what you said here. He's been through all these injuries. We don't really know how elite he is going forward. And even when he's healthy, he often doesn't show up, and he's turned into a bit of a stats whore. Elite defensively? Once in a blue moon, maybe. He hasn't been consistently elite on that end for some 3 years.

I don't know what's Boston's plan re Rondo. Re-sign him next summer? Trade him this year? If they trade him, do they wait for him to play? How will he look at the start of the season? I could see his value being pretty low. Or I could see his value going up, if he looks great. Who knows.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    A lot of writers this past weekend were talking about how most other GMs don't like Morey. They think he's a dick basically and some won't even deal with him. This came about as a conversation between a pair of writers tlaking about how some GMs had openly expressed happiness and the joy they were taking in watching Houston strike out on every free agent they were targeting.
    While possibly true, and I'll admit to taking some pleasure that Morey's superteam failed to be, I do think the GMs jobs are to compete with each other, not make friends with each other. I'll take an arrogant dickhead like Morey over an incompetent but very well-connected guy like Billy King or Ernie Grunfeld, for example.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    More than 2x Danny Granger's deal. I know people think Danny's done, but IMO Caron is pretty much in the same boat. Worse maybe, since he's 3 years older.
    I was under the impression Caron did a nice job last season in OKC. Am I wrong?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    While possibly true, and I'll admit to taking some pleasure that Morey's superteam failed to be, I do think the GMs jobs are to compete with each other, not make friends with each other. I'll take an arrogant dickhead like Morey over an incompetent but very well-connected guy like Billy King or Ernie Grunfeld, for example.

Morey's problem is loyalty. He makes players feel like they're the center of attention in free agency. Only to try and deal them 1 season later. I get that basketball is a business, but Morey's organization has too many leaks. Bad for business.

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post

finally, poor guy lol

Nice 1,000 post.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    The way I am with Lance currently, I actually only feel comfortable with a 3 year contract or so...scary thought to me to give 5 years...I'd much rather do 3/33 than 5/44 but obviously the Pacers don't have much choice with cap situation.
    My guess is that Lance and his Agent will want or have a 4th Year Player Option....so it won't matter if we give him a 5 year option. Most Young Players opt out as soon as they can.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    IDK man, Parsons, Lin and Asik are gonna make well over 40 million combined next year. Ariza at half his salary is a much smarter move and will make them a better team in the end.

People have compared Parsons to Lance, but at that salary try comparing him to Paul George, or James Harden, or Russell Westbrook.

And I'm not discrediting him at all, he's a nice player. But he is not even close to 15 a year.
    Ok, but that seems a bit unrelated to our previous posts.

You were talking about Cuban. If Cuban doesn't bid on Parsons, maybe Parsons re-signs with Houston at a reasonable price. So it's a different situation than what you are saying here.

As to should Houston have kept Parsons, Asik and Lin, it's a tough question, a lot of variables. I think they should've traded Asik, he didn't want to be there and they got a very good 1st round pick for him.

I think they should've kept Lin (they lost a 1st round pick just to trade him), but they only traded him to make room for Bosh, and then Bosh changed his mind minutes later, so it's hard to fault Morey on that. Morey basically got Boozered.

Parsons... well that's the toughest one. To me the most surprising thing is that they didn't pick up his option. They could've had him for another year for less than 1 mil. Surely, when they didn't pick up his option, they knew that someone could possibly offer him max? So they had to decide if they were going to match in advance, in June. And if there was a realistic situation where they weren't going to match, then why would they decline that team option? They should've just picked that option and tried to re-sign him next year.
    Basically, Morey got too smart for his own good.

So now they have a clearly less talented team. They are probably wasting another year of their window. Dwight isn't so young anymore, he's already past his athletic prime. And you never know how long your window is going to last, their Yao/TMac window was really short. So overall, I think it's a disastrous offseason for Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Well when Indiana played Boston last season? Turner had 17 off the bench and some nice moves in scoring the ball too. At the end of that game, Brad Stevens said something to Frank Vogel on the sidelines and Frank kind of gave a nervous laugh of sorts before the two went their separate ways. So it doesn't surprise me Boston is interested.
    You know I was just saying to myself the other day how the internet had lost a lot of its joy and mystery to me. That people were just posting things (here and other places) mundane meme's & statements that were all meant to conform to one ideology or another and I had lost hope for any source of looking forward to originality and humor.

Then I read this.

Keep on Grimping Grimp, never change.

Can confirm this conversation and will state that I also saw them give the secret freemason handshake while Frank quickly applied a fake handlebar mustache and Brad donned a stovepipe hat.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

19. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/chris...-opening-night
    Copeland scores 23 points in 24 minutes at Knox Indy Pro-Am, bringing his team back from a 17 point deficit to win.

Start him over Paul George!

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You know I was just saying to myself the other day how the internet had lost a lot of its joy and mystery to me. That people were just posting things (here and other places) mundane meme's & statements that were all meant to conform to one ideology or another and I had lost hope for any source of looking forward to originality and humor.

Then I read this.

Keep on Grimping Grimp, never change.

Can confirm this conversation and will state that I also saw them give the secret freemason handshake while Frank quickly applied a fake handlebar mustache and Brad donned a stovepipe hat.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    My guess is that Lance and his Agent will want or have a 4th Year Player Option....so it won't matter if we give him a 5 year option. Most Young Players opt out as soon as they can.
    Why would the Pacers agree to that considering he has no current suitors other than the Pacers?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

24. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Unless Bird thinks Hibbert sucks too.
    That's very possible......but the original post that I was responding to was suggesting that Bird may be moving Hibbert because Lance doesnt want to play with Hibbert. I can see other valid reasons to move Hibbert.....but moving him...or any Player...cuz One Player doesnt like playing with another is a stupid reason.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    Ok, but that seems a bit unrelated to our previous posts.

You were talking about Cuban. If Cuban doesn't bid on Parsons, maybe Parsons re-signs with Houston at a reasonable price. So it's a different situation than what you are saying here.

As to should Houston have kept Parsons, Asik and Lin, it's a tough question, a lot of variables. I think they should've traded Asik, he didn't want to be there and they got a very good 1st round pick for him.

I think they should've kept Lin (they lost a 1st round pick just to trade him), but they only traded him to make room for Bosh, and then Bosh changed his mind minutes later, so it's hard to fault Morey on that. Morey basically got Boozered.

Parsons... well that's the toughest one. To me the most surprising thing is that they didn't pick up his option. They could've had him for another year for less than 1 mil. Surely, when they didn't pick up his option, they knew that someone could possibly offer him max? So they had to decide if they were going to match in advance, in June. And if there was a realistic situation where they weren't going to match, then why would they decline that team option? They should've just picked that option and tried to re-sign him next year.
    Basically, Morey got too smart for his own good.

So now they have a clearly less talented team. They are probably wasting another year of their window. Dwight isn't so young anymore, he's already past his athletic prime. And you never know how long your window is going to last, their Yao/TMac window was really short. So overall, I think it's a disastrous offseason for Houston.
    Yeah I get what you are saying, I just don't think I agree.

I see Parsons as a 10 million a year type of guy. So to me, you don't make yourself better by giving him 15. You might look better on paper and that might be what it takes to get him, but the team will suffer somewhere as a result.

As far as Lin and Asik, I think those guys can both be replaced much cheaper. Asik is more of a luxury with Dwight in the fold anyways. And they got a first round pick in the package for him which is nice.

You're right tho, they really botched it, based on what they were trying to do. They should've taken the option. I would rather have Parsons than Ariza no doubt, but not at the price difference.

If I had to choose which team did better, I would still choose Houston though. They got a comparable player at half the money and landed a first round pick for a luxury item. I'm also not a fan of Lin, so I feel like they can upgrade that spot by spending less. JMO
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    That's very possible......but the original post that I was responding to was suggesting that Bird may be moving Hibbert because Lance doesnt want to play with Hibbert. I can see other valid reasons to move Hibbert.....but moving him...or any Player...cuz One Player doesnt like playing with another is a stupid reason.

But Larry's opinion of Roy could've coincidentally coincided with Lance's opinion of Roy. Happens sometimes. Like when a relative visits for the holidays and overstays their welcome. At first, one person in the house may be annoyed. But soon, that number grows. Coincidentally, it then becomes unanimous that uncle or aunt so-and-so has to be relocated to the nearest hotel. Even if it didn't start out that way originally.

can go here I guess, Emmanuel Mudiay, would be college freshman for Larry Brown (yes, that one, if you don't follow college ball) at SMU next year can't get his grades in order and may take the Brandon Jennings route and go player overseas. he's really, really good, top 3 or so player in his class.

also, shocker that Larry Brown's still doing the same stuff as before lol.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Nice 1,000 post.
    Oh ****** good call lol

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bleacher Report:

Free agent center Jermaine O’Neal is considering retirement after playing for the Warriors last season, and the team is staying in touch with him in the event he chooses to return for a 19th NBA season.

“I have some career decisions coming up to make and I can’t think of a better place to make them at,” the 35-year-old O’Neal wrote on Instagram on Monday, posting a video of his vacation in the Bahamas.
    Also:

33. The Following User Says Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

wonder if Jermaine would sign vet minimum for a year.. would love to see him in a Pacers uniform again.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    wonder if Jermaine would sign vet minimum for a year.. would love to see him in a Pacers uniform again.
    I've been hoping for this every offseason for many years now.

But I've accepted it won't happen so I don't get too disappointed.

JO is always a Pacer in my book.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

I don't care about JO coming back or not but it would be funny to see the Star headline hyping it up then the casual fans see him play and they're like "THIS is Jermaine O'Neal?"