Thread: A watershed moment: the Badger uses the phrase "like we say in the hood"

Default A watershed moment: the Badger uses the phrase "like we say in the hood"

Kravitz sounds off:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/222237-7433-179.html

Good news tough to find with this team

There are very few things in life that are more difficult than missing the playoffs in the NBA's Eastern Conference.

Like getting Courtney Love to complete the first nine steps of a 12-step program.

Like convincing Mark McGwire he should share a nice, romantic dinner with Jose Canseco and his literary agent.

Like getting Green Day to agree to play at Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles' upcoming nuptials.

Have I made my point?

If the season ended today -- and, frankly, there have been many nights recently when that has sounded like a great idea -- the Pacers would not be in the playoffs. Even with Sunday night's grinding 76-73 victory over the depleted Memphis Grizzlies -- this was as artful as a finger painting -- the one-time title contenders are currently a lottery team.

And that's not a position that figures to improve dramatically with a brutal post-All-Star break schedule.

But you want some good news, so here it is: Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, who brought his 9-month-old daughter, Abigail, to the postgame news conference, announced his daughter had stood up for the second time. This can only mean within six months she'll be asking for a Mustang convertible.

"We showed a strong will to win this game," Carlisle said.

The coach and his child made for a cute pre-Valentine's Day tableau, but it didn't change this essential fact:

The Pacers, 3-7 in their past 10 games before surviving this one against a Grizzlies team lacking Pau Gasol, Jason Williams and James Posey, are still in ninth place.

How bad have things gotten? Here is an updated list of all the teams over whom the Pacers can claim competitive superiority.

New Jersey, a franchise that would rather be in Brooklyn.

Toronto, a team that has so much infighting, hockey enforcer Tie Domi has been asked to join the team.

New York, where Isiah Thomas has not only put together a team that's bad, but it's bad and descending into long-term cap purgatory.

Plus there's Milwaukee and, as always, Atlanta, and one team that has an excuse, the expansion Charlotte Bobcats.

We knew things would be tough. This tough, we had no earthly idea. After 50 games and too many suspensions, injuries and illnesses to count, I've reached the following conclusions:

• Ron Artest is the hands-down Most Valuable Player in this league. Forget Amare Stoudemire, Steve Nash and LeBron James. While I still believe he belongs somewhere else -- don't hold your breath, Bob -- Artest's value has gone through the roof.

• For the most part, the Pacers have studiously avoided playing the excuse game, but the explanations for the team's languid play recently have become tiresome.

It was fair to expect the Pacers to struggle when Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson were out, but both have been back long enough for the team to have turned the corner. No, it doesn't help that Jamaal Tinsley is always out with the crud or a bad foot, but they should be more competitive by now.

• OK, it's been 50 games and Jonathan Bender is still on the injured list.

Here's the deal: He will return and stay healthy the day I get the call to work as a Calvin Klein underwear model.

• Carlisle will disagree, and I'm guessing Abigail would follow suit -- she's not a rebellious teen yet -- but I'd love to see the Pacers run some more.

When they had two terrific post players, the grind-it-out style made sense. But now, it's too much of lobbing the ball into O'Neal and waiting around.

"When we go too fast, we don't get the ball into Jermaine, and without Jamaal (Tinsley), we've got to be a little more of a grinding team," Carlisle said. ". . . If we just went to a run-and-gun style, it would be bad for us."

That's OK. My kids don't listen to me, either.

• A couple of words about O'Neal: I'm glad he's gotten some good national publicity in recent weeks, but it's time to stop saying all the right things and start doing all the right things -- notably leading this team back from the edge of playoff extinction.

If I'm his adviser, I'm telling him to go to the All-Star game, deflect all questions about the brawl -- the more he talks, the more it sounds like a lot of rationalizing -- and re-focus on playing these final months with renewed purpose.

• It would be a lousy way for Reggie Miller to go out -- and it would cut into the Simon brothers' bottom line -- but if you're completely objective about it, missing the playoffs wouldn't be the worst thing that ever happened.

It's not like this is some young team that desperately needs postseason experience.

Anybody remember San Antonio and the Tim Duncan jackpot?

Thirty-two more games.

Ninth place.

It's like we say in the 'hood: Blecccch.

Default Re: A watershed moment: the Badger uses the phrase "like we say in the hood"

I disagree with the idea that we'll miss the playoffs. As long as we can get guys healed up (meaning Jeff and Jamaal should sit until after the ASB), we're right where we want to be if we're going to push up to the #6 seed we've been saying we want.

Still, a pretty good column by Kravitz. He's really a much better writer when everything's going poorly.

I don't want the lottery pick. The #6 seed means we get the Celtics in the first round, and we'd win that going away. We'd have the Cavs the second round, and the Pistons/Heat the third round. I think we'd make a good showing against the Cavs, but to get all the way through I think we need Ron. Still, there's no reason we can't make a deep playoff run.

Default Re: A watershed moment: the Badger uses the phrase "like we say in the hood"

He doesn't understand Tinsley's value at all.

I thought it interesting to have him say that Ron is the MVP, esp. since all he has done for the last year and a half is say he needs to go. At least he finally admits the problem we find ourselves in, that of depending on a loose cannon if we are to be a legit title contender. Without Ron we just aren't that good.

Maybe DW and LB can find a different piece to plug in to put us back on the map, kind of like Rasheed going to Detroit for nothing last year. Detroit was not a legit title contender before they got him, and right now we are either one suspended player or one very good trade away from winning it all. I do console myself with the memory that Detroit was not that good at this time last year and look what they did. There is still hope for things to come together and some really good things to happen to us. At the very least we have to be almost over the injurys(we have had way more then our share already this year), if we can get healthy I want to see what we have. Tinsley is the other key for us, and it is a terrible struggle to win without him.

Bird said a couple of days ago he hopes Reggie doesn't retire 1 year too soon, and miss out on the Championship. I really fear this may happen as next year could very well be our year. It would be sad, but if he is ready and doesn't feel he can play at a high level then he is making the right decision. There is nothing more lame then to see guys who just can't produce anymore and yet hang on. Reggie is a class act and his greatest accomplishment may be having stayed loyal to one team in today's NBA. Not many have done that.

I took it to mean he meant that, but still wants him gone because of the mess he can bring on the side.

We have one more excuse that has been commonly mentioned but yet to be proven wrong. Every other "Just wait til ________ is back" and "As soon as _____ happens" has fallen flat. That excuse is the team needing the ASG to regroup. What's left after that?

I just keep going back to that Matt Guokas article where he basically said we miss the playoffs because of all of this. Nobody wanted to take him seriously but look where we are.

And I'm not sure what magic the ASG will fix unless it serves as a wakeup call to a lot of people. Not just players but coaches (and management). Does anyone really think anything will change fundamentally after the ASG? I think Reggie will be playing the same role he is now. Harrison will still be getting minimal minutes and DNP-CD on occassion as we are told his conditioning isn't there. Foster will still be starting. JO will still be griping at the refs and taking himself out of the game mentally. The ball will still be going to JO, frustrated or not, and he will be forcing shots into double teams and taking fade-aways. The Croshere debate will continue with Croshere able to do just enough to keep both sides of the debate claiming "See? I told you!". Bender will still be a bust although we can debate whether he is a bust because he was chronically injured or because he lacked fundamental skills.

Management won't make a trade, blockbuster or minimal.

We'll be force fed some fuzzy Artest stories each time fan discontent begins to bubble over and then Pacerdom will shift to talking/thinking "Artest will be back and then we go on a roll and our season saved!"

...And then one day we'll look at our "magic number" and realize the playoffs are slipping away... Artest isn't coming back this season.... and Reggie's final season has been a season written off long ago but no one bothered to tell us.

...Or maybe we just weren't listening to the right people.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Smile Re: A watershed moment: the Badger uses the phrase "like we say in the hood"

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have one more excuse that has been commonly mentioned but yet to be proven wrong. Every other "Just wait til ________ is back" and "As soon as _____ happens" has fallen flat. That excuse is the team needing the ASG to regroup. What's left after that?

I just keep going back to that Matt Guokas article where he basically said we miss the playoffs because of all of this. Nobody wanted to take him seriously but look where we are.

And I'm not sure what magic the ASG will fix unless it serves as a wakeup call to a lot of people. Not just players but coaches (and management). Does anyone really think anything will change fundamentally after the ASG? I think Reggie will be playing the same role he is now. Harrison will still be getting minimal minutes and DNP-CD on occassion as we are told his conditioning isn't there. Foster will still be starting. JO will still be griping at the refs and taking himself out of the game mentally. The ball will still be going to JO, frustrated or not, and he will be forcing shots into double teams and taking fade-aways. The Croshere debate will continue with Croshere able to do just enough to keep both sides of the debate claiming "See? I told you!". Bender will still be a bust although we can debate whether he is a bust because he was chronically injured or because he lacked fundamental skills.

We'll be force fed some fuzzy Artest stories each time fan discontent begins to bubble over and then Pacerdom will shift to talking/thinking "Artest will be back and then we go on a roll and our season saved!"

...And then one day we'll look at our "magic number" and realize the playoffs are slipping away... Artest isn't coming back this season.... and Reggie's final season has been a season written off long ago but no one bothered to tell us.

-Bball
    Boy do I hope you are wrong but I have to acknowledge it could go down like this. I still think some good things are going to come together for us, have to keep up hope until there is no hope left! Count me on the sunshine brigade, I guess.

Those two are currently linked... we all said we could be competitive without Ron as long as we had Jermaine, Jax, and Tinsley. We still haven't had all three. The first time we do will be the first game after the all-star break.

-Bball
    i hope you have a job that allows you to write because you are one excellent writer.

Quote Originally Posted by abington
    i hope you have a job that allows you to write because you are one excellent writer.
    Isn't he though?

I mean, he's WRONG, but he sure can write purty.

I knew what I was doin' getting him and Kegboy as PD article writers back in the day *stretches bowtie* Remember those days?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden