Thread: Prediction: March 16th return date for Ron

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Prediction: March 16th return date for Ron

I believe David Stern has positioned himself to allow for a late season return for Ron Artest, and here's why:

Reggie Miller - Now that Reggie has decided to retire after this season, we have a compelling story. An NBA Championship has eluded Reggie for all of his 18 seasons, and to see him go out with a Ring would be good television. Regardless of all the conspiracy theories out there that claim Stern and the NBA would never let the Pacers win a championship, I believe rewarding a guy like Reggie with a championship on his way out would be something Stern could get behind. Reggie is one of the last, if not THE last holdover from the "olden days" of the NBA, from the days of Bird and Magic and Jordan. I think Stern would welcome the inevitable flash backs to the 80's and 90's that would be a part of a Pacer run for the title.

Ratings Part I - This ties in with Reggie's retirement plans and here's why: The only way it's going to be even remotely possible for Reggie and the Pacers to compete for a championship this year is if Ron Artest is allowed to return to the team. And not just for the playoffs, but for a few weeks before the playoffs so they have time to work him back into the game plan and allow the team to get on a roll to end the season. Reggie's storybook ending will never happen unless Ron is on the team.

Ratings Part II - Starting with the March 20th game vs the Nets, the Pacers are scheduled to appear on 3 of the last five Sundays on ABC, including the last two Sundays of the year vs the Knicks and the Heat. They also play the following games on national television to end the season:

Mar. 18th vs Lakers ESPN2
    Mar. 31st vs Miami TNT
    Apr. 5th vs Cavs ESPN
    Apr. 13th vs Nets ESPN

With the flurry of nationally televised games to end the season, I can see Stern doing all he can to assure the best possible ratings for those games, especially the ABC games. Is anyone really going to care to see the Pacers play the Heat April 17th if the Pacers are out of the playoffs? Who would care? But, with Artest back in the mix and a resurgent Pacer team looking to prove itself against the best in the East in a possible preview of the ECF series, people will care.

Ratings Part III - The East is looking to be pretty boring come playoff time. Right now it's a two team race between Miami and Detroit. Washington and Cleveland are close, but I doubt they'll really be able to challenge this year. It's not going to be much fun watching Detroit and Miami waltz through the EC playoffs on the way to their inevitable ECF matchup. The NBA needs more intrigue than that. Throw the rejuvenated Pacers back into the mix and we have a better story to market.

AND, it's Reggie's last year. AND, people will watch to see if Artest is going to go wild again.

Time Served - By March 16th, Artest will have sat out 52 games. That's quite a punishment. Not only to Artest, but to the Pacer organization and its fans. Ron seems to have been doing all the right things during his suspension, which helps. The truth is, he could have gone off the deep end, gotten arrested, hit his girlfriend, got caught with drugs, etc. and nailed his coffin shut. He hasn't done that. The Pacer organization has done all the right things, too, their latest press conference regarding their charity donations the most evident among them. Ron has done his time with grace and dignity and that has to count for something.

Stern's refusal to shut the door - Last, but not least, all this speculation is fueled by Stern leaving the door open to Ron's return. He very easily could have answered recent questions about Ron's possible return by saying, without a doubt, that Ron is suspended for the year and will not be back. He did not do that. And I think he didn't do that for all the reasons I've outlined above. We know that things like ratings and money motivate Stern. That's a given. Because of that, I believe he's going to do what's best for the ratings and let Artest return sometime in mid-March.

Default Re: Prediction: March 16th return date for Ron

A solid argument and I really hope you are right.
    If it happens it will be one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

If Stern lets Ron back, the greatest reason will be because the five million lost salary for Artest was excessive.

Like almost everyone else, I'd imagine Stern likes Ron Artest, personally, but the situation in Detroit required decisive spin to lessen a public relations disaster that was spiraling out of control.

The potential in the spike in ratings also doesn't hurt.

Props for your post. You make your case extremely well.

Great post, but however I don't think it will happen.

If he does come back, I think it would at least be after the last Detroit game.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Good post, A-Train. One small thing I'll add is this:

What the Pacers have said - Until recently, Carlisle or anyone else asked, said they had no hope of him coming back, assuming he's not, etc. But the day of that press conference, Montieth mentioned this in his latest Q&A:

Nobody from the Pacers is going to criticize the commissioner, though, because there seems to be hope that Artest will be allowed to come back this season.
    Now the Pacers are hopeful. This reminded me of what Carlisle said the day before the arbitrator initially ruled JO's suspension needed to be reduced:

"I believe we're going to hear something soon but I don't know when," said Coach Rick Carlisle. "I'm hopeful that it'll be something that's positive for us."
    Could be nothing, but I noticed it right away when MM said it, because the Pacers hadn't shown any signs of "hope" or of being "hopeful" about Ron until now.

_PD_

dream world

Quote Originally Posted by _PD_
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    dream world

My world, my dream !!

sweabs

I think another reason that was left out would have to deal with the CBA signing in the summer.

But I still don't think Artest will be back...

I also forgot this one:

Politics - Take it away, Angry Rodent of Justice!

I hear that the owners are upset with him because he showed he's willing to decimate a franchise with suspensions. He might want to appease them. He also might want to appease the players association a bit heading into negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement.

I think we'd alll love to see Artest come back early and finish out Reggie's last season with the team, but I just don't see it happening. If Stern lets Artest back into the league this season, he sets a dangerous precedent for himself, i.e. if you do something bad and are punished for it, you might not have to serve all of your time. This takes power out of Stern's hands, and allows other players to think that even if they do something wrong and are punished, there's a chance they can get off. I think Artest's suspension was too long, but for Stern to overturn this would really hurt his (Stern's) standing going into this offseason's collective bargaining agreement talks

It isn't going to happen.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think there is a small chance Ron will be back. I hope so, I really do, for Reggie's sake.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AND, people will watch to see if Artest is going to go wild again.
    I think this is the winner right here. Same reason people watch the Indy 500.

Seriously, great post, A-Train. You know what we should do? Send it out as a "Why Stern Should" type post. Send it to a bunch of different beat writers/columnists in different cities, and say in the email that you don't mind if they print it as their own. There's always writers that need material, and when you're against a deadline you use what you've got.

I think this is also a factor:

The Knee-Jerk Factor: When Stern announced the suspensions, public opinion (outside Indiana) was reasonably positive. As time has passed, though, people have been reassessing the degree to which the punishment fit the crime. Detroit's own prosecutor said the brawl was instigated by the fan, not by Artest. National observers have begun to say how nice it would be for Ron to come back.

In order that the Pacers organization and the Indiana fans not be punished for one man's mistake, what about a compromise? While Ron will be allowed to play, and thus he will recieve his salary, Ron will be fined 100% of his salary for the remainder of the season. That way Stern can show he's not "letting Ron off easy," yet he also gets to show that he cares about the little guy. Best of all, from his perspective, he also gets to screw the Pacers, because he can take the remainder of Ron's salary for the NBA, while currently the Pacers are pocketing it. What's not to like?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Very good arguement and I guess we shall see.

PacersFan

Here's something I already sent

How would you feel if your team was competing for a title and had all their hopes dashed because of a commissioner who handed out suspensions like it was a fast food joint. His decisions were obviously without much review because he actually missed another player fighting, and tryed to make it look he'd seen it all along. His decisions were based on pure emotions. Otherwise, how can you explain Ron Artest getting a longer suspension then Latrell for trying to choke his coach, or for all the guys that have been caught with drugs. Or what about Vernon Maxwell? The guy got 10 games for doing the exact thing that Ronnie did. I'll admit that Ronnie has a past, and the fight did escalate....but does that really warrant 63 more games then a guy who did the exact same thing and where a precedent was set? I think not.

Plus, what exactly has happened to all those fans soaking the players with drinks and throwing trash at them? Nothing I've heard about. What about the Palace not having enough security? Nothing I've heard about. Does Stern really think putting all the blame on the players and non on the fans or the Palace will make it go away that much faster? Does Stern really not care for the players that much, only caring about his precious money from the fans.

Most all Pacers fans thought all the players should get punished for their actions. Maybe even for 30 games and 40 at the most, but by suspending Ron for the season, Stern has cut his bridge to all Pacers fans around the globe. And believe me, Pacers fans for generations onward will never forgive what he did to this francise. Does he not understand that Indiana is the mecca of everything basketball related? This state revolves around basketball. By taking away the Pacer's hope for a title, he has made many fans in Indiana very very upset.

I just hope for his sake that he doesn't hope on coming to Conseco fieldhouse anytime soon, because he will NOT be greeted warmly. If the Pacers go on to win the title anytime soon, does he really want the whole world to see hom being booed by the whole arena before he gives them the trophy? I think not. All this does not have to happen though. Most all Pacers fans are willing to forgive him if he lets Artest back soon after the Allstar break. Tell him, it won't work if he only brings him back a few games before the playoffs or just when the playoffs start because Pacers fans are smart enough to realize something worthless when they see it. Sorry I rambled on, but I really just needed the feelings of all Pacers fans to be heard. And if you can, can you please send this to Stern and help him truly realize the effect of the suspensions on Pacers fans.

I know it's not the best post post in the world, but while I was writing it I came up with some other reasons Stern might want to get Ron back if he heard of reasons that might specifially hurt Stern himself.

There is an edit button
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

PacersFan

thanks, just fixed it

ReggieMiller8325

guys artest will be back trust me it will happend.

It will happened?

The most difficult part of time travel is the grammar.