Thread: What would you do?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What would you do?

If you were coach Vogel right now, what would you do to motivate this team? Honestly tomorrow night, there's not much you need to do to motivate the team as they are playing the best team in the NBA and a chance to get back on track. But for the rest of these games, what do you do?
    Smothered Chicken!

Default Re: What would you do?

If the coach has to motivate the team at this point we are in bigger trouble than I feared.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Tell the team to play inside or don't play at all.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Mood

I am not sure there is much Vogel can do. When the entire team is on a prolonged slump we will have these results.

How does a coach even reprimand a team in a players league NBA? With the fragile psyche's of so many players on this team it seems, how would that sit with the team or even the fans if Vogel were to bench PG for jacking up to many stupid shots or something along those lines. Vogel deserves some criticism, but ultimately the players deserve more.

just remind them of our championship hopes.... They will turn it around.. No doubt in my mind, whether that starts tomorrow vs San Antonio or at the beginning of the playoffs, its going to happen

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just remind them of our championship hopes.... They will turn it around.. No doubt in my mind, whether that starts tomorrow vs San Antonio or at the beginning of the playoffs, its going to happen

You don't think he has grilled that into the players heads before just about every game lately? These games mean a lot right now and the team is playing with no heart.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    You don't think he has grilled that into the players heads before just about every game lately? These games mean a lot right now and the team is playing with no heart.
    I understand that, and like I said, we will turn it around

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's time for drastic changes he has to know we can't win plaing this way.. Out turner in the starting lineup. Have Roy take steroids and testosterone... Let lance run the bench... Try a different offensive concept.. You continue to do the same thing you'll get the same results... Lower PGs responsibility...

Practice shooting jumpers and layup drills. A lot of them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I understand that, and like I said, we will turn it around
    Well.....I hope you're right but I disagree. These games are like playoff games right now, so I don't think they can just flip a switch when the actual playoffs start. Flip the switch now is what I say. Very few games left.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I don't think it is a motivation issue. They may even be trying TOO hard to share (too many extra passes leads to not enough clock or a forced shot), passing up shots and putting too much pressure on themselves every shot they DO take.

I don't think the offensive sets this afternoon were horrible - there were a lot of open looks that guys simply bricked. I don't know how you fix that part. I do know that drastic lineup changes aren't the answer.

Maybe I'd have them start the game tomorrow night running that countdown fast attack we saw in the last few minutes before the starters sat today.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Practice shooting jumpers and layup drills. A lot of them.
    I suspect that they are pretty good at drills. They need to have some kind of drill that forces them to miss so they can get it into their heads that each shot is a new drill rather than getting into the mental funk. I'd also maybe have the starters playing 5-on-6 on the big guys in the deep bench so they get lots of contact and have to learn to ignore it instead of complaining about no-calls.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Millertime3131 View Post
    It's time for drastic changes he has to know we can't win plaing this way.. Out turner in the starting lineup. Have Roy take steroids and testosterone... Let lance run the bench... Try a different offensive concept.. You continue to do the same thing you'll get the same results... Lower PGs responsibility...
    Bench Lance... really??? Lance is the only Pacer to show up every game and display even a little bit of fight. I've been saying this for a while, but we have 0 leadership from the point guard position, yet we are paying Hill $8mil per year. The man contributes very little to our team and it's becoming more and more clear that we'd likely be better off with a cheap, but true point guard like Watson starting.

One thing that is continually occurring with the Pacers franchise is that ever since Reggie retired, we have been so quick to pay and label our next franchise player without them ever having proven it on the court...JO, Granger, and now Paul. Great, they each had a solid year statistically, but leadership must be earned, not given away. Paul George has simply not earned the right to play as if he were an established superstar, taking 17 shots per game without repercussion. Could he grow into the role? Possibly. But it should have never been handed to him without it first being earned.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ask them how they want to be remembered? A really talented team that could never quite get it together or a great team that played within itself and together? Great teams do a lot of the small things really well and trust one another. This is basketball. You can dress it up and make it fancy with bells and whistles, but it's the same simple game they've played their whole lives. Focus on the simple and small things, play together, and let the rest take care of itself.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

I listened to some of the post game show on Pacers radio network. Denari said Vogel showed more frustration than he ever has publicly. Denari said the players are sitting in the locker room with blank looks on their faces. They have no answers. The folks who follow the team and are around them every day are VERY concerned. Denari said what a lot of us have said for quite a while. "THIS PROBLEM STARTED WITH THE MINNESOTA GAME RIGHT AFTER THE ALL STAR GAME." That's right when one undeserving player made the team and one deserving player did not. That's right about the time the national media was touting them as the best team in the league. It's been a mud slide since then and none of us know why. Only the guys in that locker room know.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to greyhound80 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Bench Lance... really??? Lance is the only Pacer to show up every game and display even a little bit of fight. .
    he may display fight but I don't believe its all in the sincere best interests of the team concept. it is a contract season and I believe lance has got this in the back of his mind all along. just seems like to me lance's interests are all in vain. hope im wrong about that.

either way, willing to see Vogel let Lance be the man on the bench cause right now its complete rubbish the production were getting.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    I listened to some of the post game show on Pacers radio network. Denari said Vogel showed more frustration than he ever has publicly. Denari said the players are sitting in the locker room with blank looks on their faces. They have no answers. The folks who follow the team and are around them every day are VERY concerned. Denari said what a lot of us have said for quite a while. "THIS PROBLEM STARTED WITH THE MINNESOTA GAME RIGHT AFTER THE ALL STAR GAME." That's right when one undeserving player made the team and one deserving player did not. That's right about the time the national media was touting them as the best team in the league. It's been a mud slide since then and none of us know why. Only the guys in that locker room know.
    Who was deserving who didn't get in? And who was undeserving who did?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I would send anyone causing issues to Fort Wayne. If half the team is the problem, I would bring in scrubs from Fort Wayne and tank the rest of the season. I would rather see a bad team try to win games than a good team not trying to win.

Here is an idea. Have the starters take a couple of games off where instead of playing the game they are practicing their offensive sets. Going through them 100 times all the way through every option before moving on to the next, and only if they are completing the set absolutely perfectly.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

With, what, 8 games to go before the playoffs, I don't think there's time for drastic changes. Anything major like sitting a starter (or the whole starting 5!!) has as much potential to hurt as it is to help.

I also suspect that Coach Vogel has used up all the motivational tricks in his arsenal. You'd think he's pulled out all the stops by now. If he's saving anything, it's probably for the playoffs.

Just to stick to basics, hope the players remember how they used to play. Not sure what else can be done.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post: