11) Detroit 4-12
    11) Orlando 3-11
    13) Boston 3-12
    14) Milwaukee 3-14
    15) Philadelphia 1-15

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Eastern Conference records for March

This is why myself and others are worried. I don't get the logic that "this team will turn it on come playoff time" which some posters seem to have. I hope I am wrong, but the way we are playing doesn't give me a ton of confidence in the team heading in to the playoffs.

I'm not worried about the record, I am worried about how they are losing. At this point in the season you'll see top teams resting, maybe not going as hard, and they might lose some games they don't usually because of it. While other lesser teams are making a hard push to make the playoffs or get a better seed.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is why myself and others are worried. I don't get the logic that "this team will turn it on come playoff time" which some posters seem to have. I hope I am wrong, but the way we are playing doesn't give me a ton of confidence in the team heading in to the playoffs.
    At this point, that and HCA (if we can keep it) are really all we can hang our hat on. Because gone is the confidence this is our year. Maybe it can still be our playoffs...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Average March & April winning % for the last 10 NBA Champions = .703. Surprising how many of those losses came in the last two games of each season. Presumably after the playoff seeds were wrapped up.

No team has won a championship in the last decade after finishing March & April at .500 or below. Closest was 2010 Lakers at 12-10. Only other team to win a championship in the last 10 seasons with a March/April win % under .600 was the 2012 Heat at .593 (19-13).

Pacers need to finish with a good April otherwise history is not on their side.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

What were your feelings last season when we headed into the playoffs on a 1-5 skid?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'll be just fine.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    What were your feelings last season when we headed into the playoffs on a 1-5 skid?
    Oh im sorry did that team win the NBA finals. Because if not thats a poor example. Unless our goal is to lose in the ECF

you seriously think going 1-5 at the last 6 games of regular season and playing bad for 2 months (lately plain awful) are the same? if you do i admire your optimism.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    you seriously think going 1-5 at the last 6 games of regular season and playing bad for 2 months (lately plain awful) are the same? if you do i admire your optimism.
    Actually, I thought last year was far more concerning. Particularly the game against the Knicks where Roy Hibbert was getting shut down by Chris Copeland.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

So who is winning the east? Brooklyn? Or does the logic that a team "can't turn it on" apply to everyone but Miami?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Mood

Somewhat concerned, but not at this level. We have played bad for 2 months, not six games.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    So who is winning the east? Brooklyn? Or does the logic that a team "can't turn it on" apply to everyone but Miami?
    I am not Nostradamus, but it looks like it won't be the Pacers. I hope the magic switch is able to be turned on which some of you maintain exists.

This season reminds me a bit of the JO team that won 61 games and imploded in the playoffs. Immaturity was the #1 issue at the time. Perhaps Paul and Lance just aren't ready. That is really too bad because DWest isn't getting any younger...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This season reminds me a bit of the JO team that won 61 games and imploded in the playoffs. Immaturity was the #1 issue at the time. Perhaps Paul and Lance just aren't ready. That is really too bad because DWest isn't getting any younger...
    That 61 win team got to the ECF's and lost to a Detroit team that was just better after the Sheed addition.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Actually, I thought last year was far more concerning. Particularly the game against the Knicks where Roy Hibbert was getting shut down by Chris Copeland.
    Well, I think we've seen enough of Copeland this season to know that Roy definitely was NOT shut down by Chris Copeland. Roy was shut down by Roy, it's just that Copeland was the opponent on the floor assigned to Hibbert when Hibbert became so inept.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Well, I think we've seen enough of Copeland this season to know that Roy definitely was NOT shut down by Chris Copeland. Roy was shut down by Roy, it's just that Copeland was the opponent on the floor assigned to Hibbert when Hibbert became so inept.
    That's just one example. I felt that there plenty of other things they were doing in that 6 game span that were much more concerning than anything I've watched this year.

Our shooting is bound to improve eventually and when that happens, games like last night we'll win. Looking back at the tape, we really got some excellent looks in the first half against the Wizards that just didn't go down. Once we got down double-digits in the second half, our players started forcing shots and playing ISO/hero ball because we were running out of time. If we knock down a few of those open 3 point shots we had in the first half, we're probably leading at halftime and that makes it a totally different game going forward. Despite how poorly we shot in the first half, it wasn't like we were taking highly contested shots every time down the court. That said, Lance should probably realize when the 3rd open three point shot in a row misses that he might want to look to pass or drive instead of jacking up a few more outside shots.

This coming week will tell a lot about where we are heading into the playoffs. We could potentially go 5-1 heading into the final matchup against the Heat, but there's also the possibility of going .500 or worse. I'm hoping for the former.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Are you referring to when we lost to Detroit w/ the newly acquired Wallace? If so, that was hardly an implosion. Detroit won the championship title that year; or at least the year thereafter....At any rate, Detroit was better than us.
    Last edited by WInslow22; 03-29-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WInslow22 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That 61 win team got to the ECF's and lost to a Detroit team that was just better after the Sheed addition.
    Oops. I was thinking of the prior year when we were favorites and lost to a Celtic team that had a sub .500 record. Nobody thought they could beat us but we had a young, immature but talented team and shoved right out in the first round. JO, Brad Miller, Al Harrington, Artest, Miller, Tinsley were all on that team.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Roy's having a rough March. We are lucky to be .500.

9.6ppg
    4.4boards
    44% FG%

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

My feelings were they just went 8-1 with a 4-0 West Coast trip that included 2 playoff teams, and the the "5" in that 1-5 was the last game of the season when no starters played. So they went 13-9 from March 1 on and then literally didn't try to win the Sixers game to end the season.

That's not 8-8, and 3 of the 1-5 losses were vs teams that won 60, 54, 49 games. The Heat aren't even going to win 60, let alone Washington or Memphis or Chicago. Last year they beat a 56 and 45 win team on the road in mid-March.

They were +3.6 point differential in March/April. They were 7-5 on the road in March/April with a +4.5 pts differential.

This year in March/April they are -2.9 pts diff and 8-8. On the road they are 3-7 with a -8.1 pts diff. That's 7-5 vs 3-7 (so far) and a 12 points per game swing....so this false narrative of 1-5 to finish doesn't fly. It's not even remotely close to what's happening now. And it didn't even start at March 1, it's been a mess since February.

In fact in 2014 the Pacers are 9-13 on the road.. They were 6-1 on the road in November and 4-3 in December for a 10-4 2013 road record.

They didn't lose a road game to a team currently under .500 till they lost in Atlanta on Jan 8. Not a single loss to a sub-500 caliber team on the road in 2013. The road losses in 2013 were Chicago, Miami, OKC and Portland. They beat SAS and LAC on the road in 2013, plus Brooklyn twice for 4 road wins over +.500 teams. 4 +500 wins vs 0 -.500 losses on the road.

In 2014 they have lost 6 games to sub-500 teams on the road in 2014 with 1 road win vs a +.500 team. So 1 +.500 wins vs 6 -.500 losses on the road. A massive swing from 4-0 to 1-6 records of good wins vs bad losses.

Last year the team had some tough losses very late vs very good teams. This year the team is falling apart vs teams like Orlando and New York and have to go to OT to beat teams like Sacramento and Detroit. The 3 2014 road wins are against 2 teams that might not win 20 freaking games and a team that might not win 30.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    My feelings were they just went 8-1 with a 4-0 West Coast trip that included 2 playoff teams, and the the "5" in that 1-5 was the last game of the season when no starters played. So they went 13-9 from March 1 on and then literally didn't try to win the Sixers game to end the season.

That's not 8-8, and 3 of the 1-5 losses were vs teams that won 60, 54, 49 games. The Heat aren't even going to win 60, let alone Washington or Memphis or Chicago. Last year they beat a 56 and 45 win team on the road in mid-March.

They were +3.6 point differential in March/April. They were 7-5 on the road in March/April with a +4.5 pts differential.

This year in March/April they are -2.9 pts diff and 8-8. On the road they are 3-7 with a -8.1 pts diff. That's 7-5 vs 3-7 (so far) and a 12 points per game swing....so this false narrative of 1-5 to finish doesn't fly. It's not even remotely close to what's happening now. And it didn't even start at March 1, it's been a mess since February.

In fact in 2014 the Pacers are 9-13 on the road.. They were 6-1 on the road in November and 4-3 in December for a 10-4 2013 road record.

They didn't lose a road game to a team currently under .500 till they lost in Atlanta on Jan 8. Not a single loss to a sub-500 caliber team on the road in 2013. The road losses in 2013 were Chicago, Miami, OKC and Portland. They beat SAS and LAC on the road in 2013, plus Brooklyn twice for 4 road wins over +.500 teams. 4 +500 wins vs 0 -.500 losses on the road.

In 2014 they have lost 6 games to sub-500 teams on the road in 2014 with 1 road win vs a +.500 team. So 1 +.500 wins vs 6 -.500 losses on the road. A massive swing from 4-0 to 1-6 records of good wins vs bad losses.

Last year the team had some tough losses very late vs very good teams. This year the team is falling apart vs teams like Orlando and New York and have to go to OT to beat teams like Sacramento and Detroit. The 3 2014 road wins are against 2 teams that might not win 20 freaking games and a team that might not win 30.
    how people are saying this year and last year are similar is beyond me. if even this post won't convince them the situation this year is completely different, i don't know what will.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

This is no time for factual analysis. This is the time for sheer panic and RAGE! If you aren't celebrating a win halfway through the 4th quarter, then you have failed. Good day.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Oops. I was thinking of the prior year when we were favorites and lost to a Celtic team that had a sub .500 record. Nobody thought they could beat us but we had a young, immature but talented team and shoved right out in the first round. JO, Brad Miller, Al Harrington, Artest, Miller, Tinsley were all on that team.
    Not to get too off topic but that team's collapse covered much of the 2nd half of the season. They finished with the 3rd or 4th seed after being top of the east in the first half.

Basically what I get from that record over February is that both the Heat and Pacers are cruising to the playoffs. I just don't see Toronto or Brooklyn or Chicago beating either of them in a 7 game series.

Mood

Again, everyone around the team on the radio (Boyle, Buckner, Denari, Brunner etc.) mentions that they are worried about the direction of the team and the play of late. When a poster on here does that they are seemingly dismissed by some. I don't get it.

Yes, I think we will play Miami in the Conference Finals. But with the way we are playing that matchup is not the immortal lock it looked to be in November.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post: