Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So they were fighting in the stands last night?

Default Re: So they were fighting in the stands last night?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just about every Bears fan I've ever encountered from northwest Indiana hates the Colts. And I mean HATES them. They all feel like the Bears were Indiana's team until the Colts arrived on the Mayflower. Then you have to consider Colts' games are shown on TV instead of Bears games, the Colts win a lot, and oh yeah, beat them in a Super Bowl too.
    Use to visit my father at the VA in Danville, Illinois. Amazing split in that town between Bears fans and Colts fans.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Fact: Most of the dorks you see in Heat jerseys at Pacers games in Indiana are just tools from somewhere in Indiana or the Midwest (generally not the Indy area) that are lame bandwagon fans. Very few are from Miami.
    Really cool ad from the Memphis Grizzlies that calls those types of guys out:

3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ASkin_ANight For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm suprised kids from Decatur and Southport (Heat fans) were able to get into the game.

@Pacers24Colts12

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Much of the blame for these Chicago fans is the failure of the Pacers and FSI to bring them into the foal. I would like to see the Pacers coverage be on TV from Cinn. to Louisville and Lexington as well as north to at least the state line. IMO, these are fertile ticket and merch markets and we should cultivate them.
    IIRC The Pacers aren't allowed to. Uncle Buck and others might remember better but I believe every team has a mileage-from-stadium limit that they are allowed to do local broadcasts and/or certain marketing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

75 miles.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ASkin_ANight View Post

Freakin brilliant! I love the look-over and mini-slap. Great stuff

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Use to visit my father at the VA in Danville, Illinois. Amazing split in that town between Bears fans and Colts fans.
    Yep, and when you head south you hit the trifecta...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    IIRC The Pacers aren't allowed to. Uncle Buck and others might remember better but I believe every team has a mileage-from-stadium limit that they are allowed to do local broadcasts and/or certain marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post

Pacers head honcho Jim Morris also understands marketing opportunities, but is hamstrung quite often by the idiotic policies of the NBA big wigs in New York.

While the Colts are getting front page headlines for doing something minimal today, the Pacers have been a sponsor of the IHSAA for much longer....how many of you knew that?

The Pacers in fact last year implemented an outstanding program designed to help out young basketball players. It is on their team website, and was distributed in a press release that only a few ever saw across the state. In it, the Pacers buy uniforms for and sponsor entire youth basketball teams and organizations, hang banners in the participating facilities, and provide merchandise and even game tickets for young participants from ages 5 on up, both boys and girls. I suspect that they are even having some people in the organization make appearances, although I don't know that for sure.

This Pacers "youth basketball" drive is admirable, and a great idea to help promote the game, the team, and the NBA. And it is also great that the Pacers discreetly help out the IHSAA. But most of the state doesn't know anything about it.....why is that?

It's because of one of the dumbest rules in all of sports, the NBA's "75 mile marketing rule"! This rule states that the team can't promote outside a 75 mile radius from Indianapolis. How insane is this?

This rule means the Pacers can't advertise in southern Indiana, which is a fertile potential fan base. It means they can't market their own great youth program in communities like Marengo, Evansville, New Albany, or even Larry Bird's home town of French Lick.

This also means that cities infected with Hoosier hysteria can't hear a peep fron the Pacers in the north as well, as anyone more than about an hour away from Conseco Fieldhouse is excluded from the program.

Imagine if the Pacers could hang banners in every high school gym in the state, sponsor the Indiana All Stars, invite teams from all 4 corners of the state (or even entire communities) to games as special guests, have players make appearances in small rural towns that love the game, provide tshirts and wristbands and hats to every elementary basketball player, host the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame members for a game, get mentioned in every high school game radio broadcast as a sponsor, or provide balls and equipment to poorer YMCA's and Boys/Girls Clubs south of Paoli or north of Lafayette. Think we might have some more young fans developing a love for the team? Instead, kids in these areas either don't follow the NBA or they end up being fans of other players or teams.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...alysis-preview

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    Yep, and when you head south you hit the trifecta...
    Your sarcasm is amusing.
    @qandrews9428

15. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers24Colts12 View Post
    I'm suprised kids from Decatur and Southport (Heat fans) were able to get into the game.
    Or as my Dad calls them, hayseed Heat fans.

So now is it a rivalry?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Your sarcasm is amusing.
    It hasn't always been easy rooting for the Heat...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

I'm not a confrontational guy at all and the only fight I've ever been involved in was in the 1st grade, but I was very close to losing it a couple years when the Pacers played the Heat in the playoffs. These two "Heat fans" sitting behind me, both from Indiana, would simply not shut up, would not stop making threats, and would not stop with their profanity filled rants. They went on and on and on all night long. Jordan fans were never this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Just about every Bears fan I've ever encountered from northwest Indiana hates the Colts. And I mean HATES them. They all feel like the Bears were Indiana's team until the Colts arrived on the Mayflower. Then you have to consider Colts' games are shown on TV instead of Bears games, the Colts win a lot, and oh yeah, beat them in a Super Bowl too.
    Speaking as a bitter South Bend area Colts fan, I can tell you that the Colts games up here are only on TV if they don't conflict with the Bears games. That and I have to put up with Neil Funk and Stacey King whenever the Pacers play the Bulls. *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    Things are definitely improving Pacers-wise in NE Indiana. I have been a BnG fan my whole life, as well as my family--some distant, included--but I remember being younger and I was about the only one in middle school, high school, etc. I teach college courses up here now, and many of my students are Pacers fans. I can't attest to whether they are bandwagon or not, but they are starting to exist again.

P.S. I loathe Chicago sports teams to the point of hate.
    I remember feeling like the only pacers fan a couple years ago. A lot of Pacers gear in Fort Wayne now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

23. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    I'm not a confrontational guy at all and the only fight I've ever been involved in was in the 1st grade, but I was very close to losing it a couple years when the Pacers played the Heat in the playoffs. These two "Heat fans" sitting behind me, both from Indiana, would simply not shut up, would not stop making threats, and would not stop with their profanity filled rants. They went on and on and on all night long. Jordan fans were never this bad.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttt?????????

My God are you kidding me? I can remember sitting there one night in 88 in a sea of red with just my wife near me and other than the Bird era Celtic fans there was nothing more obnoxious than a front running Jordan jock sniffer.

For God's sake we had a Pacer fan stab and throw a Bulls fan from the 6th level all the way down to the 3rd level at MSA.

It is horrible when they come to town.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttt?????????

My God are you kidding me? I can remember sitting there one night in 88 in a sea of red with just my wife near me and other than the Bird era Celtic fans there was nothing more obnoxious than a front running Jordan jock sniffer.

For God's sake we had a Pacer fan stab and throw a Bulls fan from the 6th level all the way down to the 3rd level at MSA.

It is horrible when they come to town.
    I mean, with the Bulls it's hard to tell who's a Bulls fan, who's simply a Jordan fan, and who was just a bandwagon fan given the proximity to Chicago. Even today, home games against the Bulls end up being close to 40/60 in attendance. Whereas, we all know that any Heat fan seen as a Pacers game is a LeBron James bandwagon douche.

I say Jordan fans were never that bad because my assumption is that most of those fans who were attending games at MSA were likely Bulls fans to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    I mean, with the Bulls it's hard to tell who's a Bulls fan, who's simply a Jordan fan, and who was just a bandwagon fan given the proximity to Chicago. Even today, home games against the Bulls end up being close to 40/60 in attendance. Whereas, we all know that any Heat fan seen as a Pacers game is a LeBron James bandwagon douche.

I say Jordan fans were never that bad because my assumption is that most of those fans who were attending games at MSA were likely Bulls fans to begin with.
    Actually I had a test for them to take and I'd say the vast majority of them failed miserably.

To test who was a true Bulls fan vs. who was a Jordan front runner I would simply ask them who the "A-Train" was. If they knew the answer (Artis Gilmore) they were a Bulls fan. However when most of them would look at me like I was speaking in tongues they were horrible horrible front running Jordan fans.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Best thing was the dude walking out behind me in a Lebron jersey yelling about how there's a whole lot of dick riders in Indiana.
    Technically, he was right, since it does take one to know one....

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    To test who was a true Bulls fan vs. who was a Jordan front runner I would simply ask them who the "A-Train" was. If they knew the answer (Artis Gilmore) they were a Bulls fan. However when most of them would look at me like I was speaking in tongues they were horrible horrible front running Jordan fans.
    G2 did the same last year during one of the Heat regular season games. We gave up after none of the Heat "fans" could tell us who Tim Hardaway or Alonzo Mourning were.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

G2 did the same last year during one of the Heat regular season games. We gave up after none of the Heat "fans" could tell us who Tim Hardaway or Alonzo Mourning were.

Lmao, damn that's pretty inexcusable. Not surprising though. Most of the Heat fans at BLF reside in Indy. They just get a kick out of being annoying a-holes and enjoy being Lebron frontrunners who sport the flame Heat merch.

I have to admit....sometimes I have to remind myself it's just a game when opposing team fans hit a nerve. I've come close a few times to getting in an @ss kicking contest and not care how many of the enemy I'll be taking on.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    It isn't. They think they are in a Chicago suburb.
    It depends where in Northern Indiana you are talking about since East Chicago is in Indiana.

I live further west of that and yeah its mostly a Chicago fandom I however hated all Chicago teams and it sucked living there during the Jordan era.

However when it came to Bears/Colts the fandom split in the middle.

As far as the fight in the stands as long as our players don't jump in I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ASkin_ANight View Post

The funny thing to me is, the Pacers are one of those teams now.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Actually I had a test for them to take and I'd say the vast majority of them failed miserably.

i remember the jordan bulls era. here in bloomington during that time, jordan jerseys and bulls stuff was very, very popular. I'd suspect that at least 90% were the jordan jock-sniffers. and yes, they were ultra-annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The funny thing to me is, the Pacers are one of those teams now.
    Most teams fall into the category at some point in time. Not the teams fault at all. Just comes with success or having an extremely popular player.

I think most Bears fans in Indiana are still just leftovers from prior to the Colts moving here. (i.e. prior Bears fans or grew up with parents who were Bears fans) When you go to Southern Indiana you find more Cincy fans too, although not as many since the Bengals do not have any kind of tradition of success. I doubt we will ever win over Gary, Merryville, East Chicago, etc. since their proximity to Chicago is about the same as Anderson is to Indy, if not less. Everything else though, there is still hope for them to come over to the light side.

That 75 mile rule is crap. Pacer fans should be dominating Indiana, Kentucky, Southern Illinois, and Western Ohio. I think teams should be able to advertise anywhere within the state they are located, plus areas in surrounding states that are not within 75 miles of another team. The 75 mile rule should be a rule of domination not a rule of restriction.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 03-28-2014 at 03:52 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: