Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Any large modern suburban city is going to have a lot of chains on its wide main roads. Go to an Atlanta or Dallas and they'll have a billion chains too.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I like Quinn a lot, maybe its having watched so many of the other announcers around the league in the early days of league pass but I really appreciate what he brings. You have no idea how bad most of the leagues color commentators are. Sure there are some good or even great ones out there but most are TERRIBLE and major league homers who's players never ever do anything wrong (think heat fans)

I miss the raw feed version of league pass it was really fun seeing the behind the scenes stuff.

On the Indy food thing I live in Fort Wayne and we have a ton of great local restaurants but I still like coming to Indy and trying their locally owned restaurants. I don't even live there and I have found lots of great places to eat in Indy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

LeBron and Wade clearly focus on Lance's antics. The thing is... I bet they'd love to have him on the Heat. Honestly, LeBron + Lance would be absolutely devastating.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know why people have a problem with Quinn honestly
    Because he is constantly sticking up for the officials, even when the make the most terrible of calls. He will just say "well they just missed it" as if its so nonchalant. Even when perpetual nice guy Denari seems to be getting fed up with officials, Quinn just shuts him down. "Well thats the call he seen at the time". I get that Quinn has a point, and that officials rarely change a call....well except when Lebron or Wade tell them to. But he needs to acknowledge to the fans that yes the Pacers have been told to bend over this quarter, and there is nothing they can do about but just play through it. He likes to focus on the "Just play through it" part.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Because he is constantly sticking up for the officials, even when the make the most terrible of calls. He will just say "well they just missed it" as if its so nonchalant. Even when perpetual nice guy Denari seems to be getting fed up with officials, Quinn just shuts him down. "Well thats the call he seen at the time". I get that Quinn has a point, and that officials rarely change a call....well except when Lebron or Wade tell them to. But he needs to acknowledge to the fans that yes the Pacers have been told to bend over this quarter, and there is nothing they can do about but just play through it. He likes to focus on the "Just play through it" part.
    No, I don't want Quinn to be a homer like you are proposing. HE criticizes the officials when necessary.
    @qandrews9428

8. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    So you want our commentators to be as annoying as the Celtics/Bulls commentators?
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Any large modern suburban city is going to have a lot of chains on its wide main roads. Go to an Atlanta or Dallas and they'll have a billion chains too.
    Indianapolis has long been a testing ground for chain restaurants in the Midwest. A better judge of the chain stores in a city, IMO, is how many don't stay open. Indy folks know good food and will not support an eatery that doesn't keep it's standards high regardless of price.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quinn sometimes drives me nearly insane with that silly giggle of his, but the point of view he still has as a non-superstar point guard on a championship caliber team is refreshing. Quinn still sees the game through a players eye, IMO and not so much from a fan's point of view. I get really upset at referees(I was born a UK fan) and angry when their opinion doesn't match mine, but I don't think they are sold out to any team.(Although some of the calls Miami gets makes my faith waver)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    So you want our commentators to be as annoying as the Celtics/Bulls commentators?
    Except that is not what he said.

He said Quinn sticks up for refs and their missed calls too much. He did not say that Quinn should be an outright homer.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The reason I don't like Quinn as an announcer has nothing to do with homer-ism or officials. He's knows basketball, he is a very nice man, it's not that.

He is a HORRIBLE communicator, he bumble and stumbles everything. Drives me freaking crazy, seems like a dozen times a game he will say "he did that" or "he was going to do this" then he always says "He meaning whom ever he was talking about". Just say the freaking name to begin with, he's not being paid by the word and the viewers knows whom the hell he's talking about in the first place. He over explains most everything and then glosses over things that he maybe should explain. Every other word out of his mouth has something to do with rhythm, whether it applys to the situation or not. He laughs uncontrollably at the silliest stuff.

I could make a very long list of the things I hate about his announcing, but I won't. It's just my opinion I don't care if everyone on the planet likes him, I DON"T. The dislike just grows larger every game.

I would turn the sound off and play the radio, but the delay is so much different it just doesn't work right.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Indianapolis has long been a testing ground for chain restaurants in the Midwest. A better judge of the chain stores in a city, IMO, is how many don't stay open. Indy folks know good food and will not support an eatery that doesn't keep it's standards high regardless of price.
    Indianapolis is considered one of the most representative cities in the country along with Columbus, Kansas City, Dallas, and a few others. It's quite common to see national restaurants test food items in Indy to determine if they will be successful in the rest of the country.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

The problem with Indy food is purely reputation. It doesn't have a reputation for a strong local cuisine, so people don't go out of their way to find local restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    LeBron and Wade clearly focus on Lance's antics. The thing is... I bet they'd love to have him on the Heat. Honestly, LeBron + Lance would be absolutely devastating.
    3 finals appearances, and 2 championships...it doesn't get much better than what they've already done together. The last thing the Heat need is another ball handler, they would probably love to have a stretch 4 that can guard bigs and take Shane Battier's place if anything.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    3 finals appearances, and 2 championships...it doesn't get much better than what they've already done together. The last thing the Heat need is another ball handler, they would probably love to have a stretch 4 that can guard bigs and take Shane Battier's place if anything.
    Never said anything about their accomplishments. Just saying they'd love Stephenson on their team. Wade is a walking infirmary. I think about Lance and LeBron in the open court and think "wow".
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    The reason I don't like Quinn as an announcer has nothing to do with homer-ism or officials. He's knows basketball, he is a very nice man, it's not that.

He is a HORRIBLE communicator, he bumble and stumbles everything. Drives me freaking crazy, seems like a dozen times a game he will say "he did that" or "he was going to do this" then he always says "He meaning whom ever he was talking about". Just say the freaking name to begin with, he's not being paid by the word and the viewers knows whom the hell he's talking about in the first place. He over explains most everything and then glosses over things that he maybe should explain. Every other word out of his mouth has something to do with rhythm, whether it applys to the situation or not. He laughs uncontrollably at the silliest stuff.

I could make a very long list of the things I hate about his announcing, but I won't. It's just my opinion I don't care if everyone on the planet likes him, I DON"T. The dislike just grows larger every game.

I would turn the sound off and play the radio, but the delay is so much different it just doesn't work right.
    I am not saying I disagree with you in that Quinn's grammar at times leaves something to be desired, but heck this isn't a book report! Anyways, I respect your opinion and we would have to agree to disagree about Quinn.

Just out of curiosity though, are there any color guys you do like? What I have found is that a lot of former players do not necessarily have the best grammar or speaking personalities when it comes to announcing.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Winning this game goes a long way in ensuring that we won't have to hear this during a timeout in Game 7:

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    The problem with Indy food is purely reputation. It doesn't have a reputation for a strong local cuisine, so people don't go out of their way to find local restaurants.
    True, I guess, but Indy does have it's own "schtick" food(like Chicago Style Pizza, or Kansas City style BBQ) in the jumbo tenderloin sandwich.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    True, I guess, but Indy does have it's own "schtick" food(like Chicago Style Pizza, or Kansas City style BBQ) in the jumbo tenderloin sandwich.
    Very few good tenderloins inside 465. Closest I've found is the Mug n Bun on 10th and Lynhurst.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I don't know about that. Seems to me like Wade and LeBron absolutely hate Stephenson, so I doubt they would want him on the Heat

Never said anything about their accomplishments. Just saying they'd love Stephenson on their team. Wade is a walking infirmary. I think about Lance and LeBron in the open court and think "wow".
    Seems like one too many individuals that both thrive (handling the ball, getting to the basket) and struggle (shooting the ball, spacing the floor) at the same things to me

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Very few good tenderloins inside 465. Closest I've found is the Mug n Bun on 10th and Lynhurst.
    So how is the tenderloin at the Mayberry?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ok....let's say I need more on the East side. Plenty of Mexican and Pizza joints but other than Jockamo (sp) and McGinley's Golden Ace there ain't nuttin (I will start searching out Mass Ave).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    So how is the tenderloin at the Mayberry?
    Not bad. I miss Bailey's Jury Room - they had one of the best tenderloins I ever tasted. The new place (Diesel's) is OK but a bit bland for me - it's all about the spices in the breading.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The tenderloin at Bourbon St. Distillery (near IUPUI) is the best Tenderloin I've had. Its pretty awesome.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    The tenderloin at Bourbon St. Distillery (near IUPUI) is the best Tenderloin I've had. Its pretty awesome.

Yeah, that place's grub is just straight fire across the board.