Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 178

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

  1. #126
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,359
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's funny for people our age how we have transitioned. Growing up I always had this inferiority complex being constantly compared to Chicago or even St. Louis or Cincy. We were told very often that we were second rate and I don't know about you but it put a HUGE chip on my shoulder about our city and especially after going to IU and dealing with Chicago kids for 4 years, well I became really ****ing proud of this place.

    Now that chip on my shoulder has an honest to goodness world class city to go alongside it. We have 15 years of dominant NFL football, we are the college sports capital of the world, the 500 is still a draw and now the Pacers are back after what was really a relatively short absence from the national spotlight (think about how long some teams go without being even a playoff team.)

    Indy also has an amazing symphony (shout to the ISO dudes who did a kickass anthem last night BTW) and lots of other opportunities to indulge in the arts.

    Where it really hits me when I travel to other cities now is with the JW and the Conrad. These are two world class brands and hotels that most cities our size won't even have one of. We have two and there will likely be a third hotel of this modern luxury caliber built downtown in the next 3-4 years. It really is amazing. To put this in comparison, Milwaukee JUST got a Marriott and it is not a JW, just a regular Marriott. Still nice but we've had one for ages now.

    I am so proud of how this city has blown up and just continued to grow while still retaining that small town feel that I personally love.

    World class hotels, world class sports teams, world class arts, awesome growing local neighborhoods, we really do have it all and I think it's pretty cool to go from when we were only 7 or 8 years old and you had Shaq joking about how the only thing to do in INdy was Steak n Shake to now where there is a ton of stuff to do. 10 year old me would have laughed in adult me's face if I had gone back in time and told him there would be a Super Bowl hosted in Indy.

    Love this city so much.
    I would like some more non-chain restaurants but by and large this is a great place to live. (Thinking of taking the wife to The Bosphorus tomorrow evening).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:


  3. #127
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dunno, got hit in the chin caused him to bite his tongue. Perhaps blood loss made him woozy? He was already exerted out there in a tough game.
    One of the signs for a concussion is loss of memory. Not being able to remember the play, isn't a good sign.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  4. #128
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,743

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I dunno, I was a bit surprised too. Frank said today that Roy had no lingering effects this morning so hopefully we are lucky.
    Yeah, I saw that too, but to be honest I'm not sure I actually believe it. I mean, it's possible, but normally lights go out when your brain hits your skull, which is exactly what a concussion is. He wasn't just stunned, he was completely out. Some of the lingering effects are headaches, loss of balance, etc, so there's a lot of subjectivity with the patient. Just hopefully Roy takes it easy for a few days. Not likely to get another concussion, but it's extremely dangerous to get one when you're still having issues with the first. Like permanent brain damage. Just makes me nervous dealing with it.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  6. #129
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,180

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like some more non-chain restaurants but by and large this is a great place to live. (Thinking of taking the wife to The Bosphorus tomorrow evening).
    If you stay away from the shopping malls and go to places like BroadRipple or Mass Ave you get a pretty good range of non-chain. Out in the 'burbs, though, yeah it would be nice to have a few more interesting restaurants.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  7. #130
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,551

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Will Carroll ‏@injuryexpert 4m

    Aha. Hibbert did go back to locker room, was checked and returned to game. Sounds like they followed protocol. Not sure what test NBA uses.
    Expand

    Reply
    Retweeted
    Favorite

    Will Carroll ‏@injuryexpert 9m

    I don't remember looking at Hibbert and thinking concussion last night. Am I wrong here?


    I thought concussion initially, but if our trainers cleared him to return, then I trust their judgment.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  9. #131
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    I think the officiating was bad at times last night, but not bad as in I thought they were in the Heat's pocket or anything. Just bad as in they fell for very veteran, savvy acting in some cases and might have been a little quick on the whistle. I think they adjusted well; and, when they got a chance to take a good look at it, they made the right calls. We certainly got lucky with some calls, too, just on the basis that they are very hard calls to get right - like where Wade almost stepped out of bounds on the three but didn't.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:


  11. #132
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like some more non-chain restaurants but by and large this is a great place to live. (Thinking of taking the wife to The Bosphorus tomorrow evening).

    Indy has some FANTASTIC non-chain restaurants and you can find about any sort of ethnic food here. It's true that you see chain after chain when you drive down an 86th street, US 36, or Co. Line Road, but if you do a little bit of digging and googling, you can find unique fantastic food all over the city of multiple varieties.

    You've already hit one of the best with The Bosphorus - one of the best places I've ever been to.

    On West 38th street, there are multiple delicious ethnic restaurants located in a bland strip mall-ish area. I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant there about a year or so ago. Abyssina I think it was. There's also a good Vietnamese place near there, as well as a few other things.

    Downtown, you should take your wife to Saffron Cafe. Delicious Moroccan food.

    Greek - Athens on 86th, Greek Islands, Santorini

    Italian - Mama Corollas.

    Soul Food - Kountry Kitchen

    Gourmet Burgers - Bru on Mass Ave.

    These are just places that I've been to personally. Barely scratched the surface of Indy's food offerings.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-27-2014 at 04:32 PM.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  13. #133

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the officiating was bad at times last night, but not bad as in I thought they were in the Heat's pocket or anything. Just bad as in they fell for very veteran, savvy acting in some cases and might have been a little quick on the whistle. I think they adjusted well; and, when they got a chance to take a good look at it, they made the right calls. We certainly got lucky with some calls, too, just on the basis that they are very hard calls to get right - like where Wade almost stepped out of bounds on the three but didn't.



    That 2nd quarter was one of the worst officiated things I've seen. Killed our momentum.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:


  15. #134
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,603
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    I always watch the ESPN version or the other teams announcers if possible, I like to hear other opinions. I miss my hacked satellite, I could watch all the other teams announcers.

    Also the sound of Quinn has been like nails on a chalkboard for quit some time, I'm so sick of him I wish he would just go away. Austin is not that great, but better than Quinn. I like the play by play by Denari, but we need a new color guy.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  16. #135

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always watch the ESPN version or the other teams announcers if possible, I like to hear other opinions. I miss my hacked satellite, I could watch all the other teams announcers.

    Also the sound of Quinn has been like nails on a chalkboard for quit some time, I'm so sick of him I wish he would just go away. Austin is not that great, but better than Quinn. I like the play by play by Denari, but we need a new color guy.
    I actually like Quinn, but I guess im one of the few

  17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  18. #136
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually like Quinn
    And rightfully so.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  19. #137
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,470
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually like Quinn, but I guess im one of the few
    Are you one of the few? I really like Quinn. Don't get me wrong, I think he defends officials too much at times, but I love his attitude and the fun he has. Aside from all of this he seems like a great guy, which may not mean much to some, but it means something to me.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  21. #138
    The Chef! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,195

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quinn is great. I think Chris could be better at times, but he is super well prepared always.
    @qandrews9428

  22. #139
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching Oden attempt to move on defense is depressing.
    I haven't watched Oden at all this season, but if last night's mobility was typical, I don't see him lasting beyond the end of this year. I am beginning to wonder about Bynum as well. Is his pain/swelling chronic enough that he will have to call it quits?

  23. #140

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quinn is great. I think Chris could be better at times, but he is super well prepared always.
    My one complaint on Chris is his "is that the one?!." Comments

  24. #141
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,835

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My one complaint on Chris is his "is that the one?!." Comments
    He's told to say that, so it's not his fault.
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  26. #142

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This time of year the rule of thumb is look at the loss column to see where your team stands. The Heat have two more loses then we do, so if we would both win out we would win by two games. Thus that's our actual lead until something changes in the loss column.

    We lead 2-1 in head to head games, so if they win at their place we will be 2-2. The good thing is we now control our own destiny. Even if they beat us, if we win the rest of our games there is nothing they can do, we will win by one game even if they win all their remaining games.

    If they catch us, here's the tiebreakers. We are ahead at the moment. The #4 tiebreaker is higher winning percentage in conference games [We are 35-9, .795 with 8 to play. Heat are 28-14, .666 with 10 to play]
    Another way to look at it is that the Heat have to win 4 more games than us to tie. They have to win 5 more than us to get the #1 seed, as long as we keep the tie breaker.

    So if we go 5-5, they have to go 10-2.

    If we can manage 6-4 then they have to go 11-1.

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  28. #143
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like some more non-chain restaurants but by and large this is a great place to live. (Thinking of taking the wife to The Bosphorus tomorrow evening).
    Went to Bosphorus Tuesday night. Had the appetizer platter for two and the Bosphorus special plate (samples of many of the meat offerings). The wife had the chicken/asparagus kabob. Yum.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  30. #144
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,359
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to Bosphorus Tuesday night. Had the appetizer platter for two and the Bosphorus special plate (samples of many of the meat offerings). The wife had the chicken/asparagus kabob. Yum.
    Um, tomorrow won't work for the Bosphorus...it's Friday (Lent.....Catholic....meatless Fridays), but soon. And that sounds like what we had the first time we went (the last time it was too). I LOVE VERY STRONG COFFEE....if you know what Cuban coffee is like, that's what I like. Didn't appreciate all the sludge in the coffee I had a the Bosphorus (was that an annomily?)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  31. #145
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,255

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indy has some FANTASTIC non-chain restaurants and you can find about any sort of ethnic food here. It's true that you see chain after chain when you drive down an 86th street, US 36, or Co. Line Road, but if you do a little bit of digging and googling, you can find unique fantastic food all over the city of multiple varieties.

    You've already hit one of the best with The Bosphorus - one of the best places I've ever been to.

    On West 38th street, there are multiple delicious ethnic restaurants located in a bland strip mall-ish area. I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant there about a year or so ago. Abyssina I think it was. There's also a good Vietnamese place near there, as well as a few other things.

    Downtown, you should take your wife to Saffron Cafe. Delicious Moroccan food.

    Greek - Athens on 86th, Greek Islands, Santorini

    Italian - Mama Corollas.

    Soul Food - Kountry Kitchen

    Gourmet Burgers - Bru on Mass Ave.

    These are just places that I've been to personally. Barely scratched the surface of Indy's food offerings.
    Lot of good places around Broad Ripple as well. I'm particularly a fan of Flatwater and Brugge. I've also heard really good things about Delicia on 52nd and college but I haven't tried it yet.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:


  33. #146
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to Bosphorus Tuesday night. Had the appetizer platter for two and the Bosphorus special plate (samples of many of the meat offerings). The wife had the chicken/asparagus kabob. Yum.
    The Bosphorus is probably my favorite place in town. I highly recommend it.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  35. #147
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    3,163

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quinn is great. I think Chris could be better at times, but he is super well prepared always.
    I don't know why people have a problem with Quinn honestly
    Smothered Chicken!

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:


  37. #148

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like some more non-chain restaurants but by and large this is a great place to live. (Thinking of taking the wife to The Bosphorus tomorrow evening).
    Two thoughts here...

    1. I think there are more original eateries downtown than most realize; you just have to head in the correct direction. As others have mentioned, Mass Ave is a good bet. A lot of great, original options in that direction.

    2. Even Times Square area in NYC is all chain restaurants. The closer you get to the heart of a downtown, the more that's probably the case.

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  39. #149
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,795

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just can't wait until Lebron and Wade get old.
    I don't want to wait that long. I want the Pacers to de-throne their butts THIS YEAR!

  40. #150
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like some more non-chain restaurants but by and large this is a great place to live. (Thinking of taking the wife to The Bosphorus tomorrow evening).
    See I know we have a bit of a rep as a chain city, but I disagree. Mass Ave, Fountain Square, and even B-Ripple and downtown have plenty of local places to munch at. I could go a whole month without eating at a chain and never get bored of what I was eating.

    Mass Ave in particular is just one home run after another and I have really high hopes for the Fountain Square area as it keeps evolving.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-28-2014 at 10:16 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •