Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FSI's picture is great on my tv.
    On my TV it's fine when there's no other option, but ESPN's is just on a completely different level. Theirs is perfect.

I do like JVG and Tirico. They're good for most of the time, but I think it's in all ESPN contracts you have to first give talk about the Heat and then you can go on to their opponents. Their twitter feed is the worst. "LeBron scores 50 kajillion points, has 9 highlights, he's showing everyone why he's the best in the world!1!1!!!11 Heat barely lose 98-84"
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I don't know how you can watch the Lebron-Roy replay and not think it was intentional. Live it was debatable, but when you slow it down you see a clear, unnatural hitch that sends Lebron's elbow up and Lebron was in a position to get a good view and land it. Do I think he intended necessarily to catch Roy square on the chin? No, but I do think he was doing it intentionally to clear space. I believe that if those shoe was on the other foot Lance would have been ejected had he done the same thing to let's say Bosh. Of course then Bosh would have to defend a play straight on so that will probably never happy.

I don't think it was malicious per say, but it was intentional, it was out of frustration and it was 100% reckless.
    And to take it a step further, think about the implications.

-Hibbert is LeBron's kryptonite near the basket. LeBron attacked the basket what, five times total when Hibbert was in during last season's playoffs?

-The refs are still respecting the verticality rule, albeit less.

-You're LeBron James, and so far nothing you've done to attack Hibbert has worked.

-It's getting close to the playoffs, and you want to set the tone for the playoffs.

You've got the ability to deck Hibbert with an elbow, while sending him a message, all while making it look like a basketball play. What do you do?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

I always watch FSI over BSPN and the N-BRON-A channels. I like that we have a channel that shows almost every game we play. The only time the other 2 channels show us is when one of their CHOSEN teams are playing us. F@@k them and their advertisers!
    Last edited by Cousy47; 03-27-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Our commentating team is good, but even they have habits that get annoying after listening to them every game, season after season. Plus watching on ESPN meant that I didn't have to see Denari's Kinetico water commercial, George Hill's Indiana Credit Union Commercial, Marsh food pyramid health lectures, and a bunch of Bob Rohrman/Terry Lee/Ray Skillman/Tom Wood car commercials.

I also like hearing what national people have to say about the Pacers and Fieldhouse atmosphere. Mike Tirico ALWAYS gushes about how great the Fieldhouse is, and he has said multiple times that it's his favorite gym in the league. I think Van Gundy makes a lot of great observations, like when he disagreed with the Lance tech.

But like I said, for me it all comes down to the HD. I'd switch from ESPN to FSI in a heartbeat if the HD was reversed. The ESPN HD is just pristine, while the FSI HD is honestly kind of weak by 2014 standards.
    Exactly. FSI is 720, ESPN is full 1080i.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I heard this morning that Lance is two technicals away from being suspended a game
    I heard he had 14 and was 1 tech away...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I heard he had 14 and was 1 tech away...
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...technicalFouls

Looks like he has 14 and is two away. Right? 16 does it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ColeTheMole; 03-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    DG for 3

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    And to take it a step further, think about the implications.

-Hibbert is LeBron's kryptonite near the basket. LeBron attacked the basket what, five times total when Hibbert was in during last season's playoffs?

-The refs are still respecting the verticality rule, albeit less.

-You're LeBron James, and so far nothing you've done to attack Hibbert has worked.

-It's getting close to the playoffs, and you want to set the tone for the playoffs.

You've got the ability to deck Hibbert with an elbow, while sending him a message, all while making it look like a basketball play. What do you do?

Granted, I didn't think about this. Those of you who were not at the game, they showed a different angle of the play on the jumboscreen where you could clearly see LeBron cocking back and swinging his elbow, clear as day. It wasn't shown on the ESPN broadcast, but you can hear the reaction at 1:24 in the video below. Most people had stopped watching the replay board, but the ones who saw it were appalled.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...technicalFouls

Looks like he has 14 and is two away. Right? 16 does it?

That number resets for the playoffs right? That's just regular season?

It was interesting how many Heat players have been practicing the floater. We got to see at least one from every single wing player, if I remember correctly.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

And now Indy immediately shifts to hosting these huge college basketball games. Indy is just always in the national sports spotlight. When you combine Pacers-Heat with this weekend's college games, think of all of the big sports names who will have come through here in just the span of a few days

I normally defend the trainers, but I'm beyond shocked Roy came back into the game. I cannot believe he passed the concussion test. Roy saying he couldn't remember the play, suggests a concussion. Probably at least a Grade II concussion, based on the amount of memory lost. Just listening to Grady's podcast and Roy asking the trainer if he knew where he was with "Yeah, I'm in trouble" is hilarious, after the fact.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I normally defend the trainers, but I'm beyond shocked Roy came back into the game. I cannot believe he passed the concussion test. Roy saying he couldn't remember the play, suggests a concussion. Probably at least a Grade II concussion, based on the amount of memory lost. Just listening to Grady's podcast and Roy asking the trainer if he knew where he was with "Yeah, I'm in trouble" is hilarious, after the fact.
    That's a rule that has to be changed

Now when you are fouled but can't shoot the free throws due to injury, I think the opposing coach picks someone from your bench to shoot them.

If the injury was due to a flagrant foul and may involve a concussion, then no way so he be going back out there to shoot, and no way the team committing the flagrant should be REWARDED for the injury by picking a bad shooter to take them
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    Exactly. FSI is 720, ESPN is full 1080i.
    Where's the green font?

Sorry, not to be a wise guy but both ESPN and ABC's basketball games are broadcast in 720P.
    Last edited by RWB; 03-27-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I dunno, got hit in the chin caused him to bite his tongue. Perhaps blood loss made him woozy? He was already exerted out there in a tough game.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    That's a rule that has to be changed

Now when you are fouled but can't shoot the free throws due to injury, I think the opposing coach picks someone from your bench to shoot them.

If the injury was due to a flagrant foul and may involve a concussion, then no way so he be going back out there to shoot, and no way the team committing the flagrant should be REWARDED for the injury by picking a bad shooter to take them
    JVG made the same point and I think it is a good one. Otherwise someone is going to use a guy like LaVoy to take a really hard foul on a guy like Wade for just that reason. Trading an end of the bench guy for a couple of games for a star player is too 'easy' a choice to reward it by taking the FT's away also.

I keep hearing and reading about whether Lebron's elbow was intentional. Well that doesn't really matter. Whether a foul is intentional or not is not a factor in the NBA when it comes to flagrant fouls.

So if Lebron elbow was 100% intentional or it was a complete accident that doesn't determine whether it is a flagrant or not

The rule is simple

A flagrant foul-penalty (1) is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent.

A flagrant foul-penalty (2) is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I heard this morning that Lance is two technicals away from being suspended a game
    I thought the paper said one.....$5000 fine and 1 game suspension. Does that reset during the PO's?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I keep hearing and reading about whether Lebron's elbow was intentional. Well that doesn't really matter. Whether a foul is intentional or not is not a factor in the NBA when it comes to flagrant fouls.

So if Lebron elbow was 100% intentional or it was a complete accident that doesn't determine whether it is a flagrant or not

The rule is simple

A flagrant foul-penalty (1) is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent.

A flagrant foul-penalty (2) is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent.
    I totally agree. Players are responsible for their elbows. James his Roy in the head with his elbow. That is a flagrant. Pretty simple

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I thought the paper said one.....$5000 fine and 1 game suspension. Does that reset during the PO's?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    And now Indy immediately shifts to hosting these huge college basketball games. Indy is just always in the national sports spotlight. When you combine Pacers-Heat with this weekend's college games, think of all of the big sports names who will have come through here in just the span of a few days
    It's funny for people our age how we have transitioned. Growing up I always had this inferiority complex being constantly compared to Chicago or even St. Louis or Cincy. We were told very often that we were second rate and I don't know about you but it put a HUGE chip on my shoulder about our city and especially after going to IU and dealing with Chicago kids for 4 years, well I became really ****ing proud of this place.

Now that chip on my shoulder has an honest to goodness world class city to go alongside it. We have 15 years of dominant NFL football, we are the college sports capital of the world, the 500 is still a draw and now the Pacers are back after what was really a relatively short absence from the national spotlight (think about how long some teams go without being even a playoff team.)

Indy also has an amazing symphony (shout to the ISO dudes who did a kickass anthem last night BTW) and lots of other opportunities to indulge in the arts.

Where it really hits me when I travel to other cities now is with the JW and the Conrad. These are two world class brands and hotels that most cities our size won't even have one of. We have two and there will likely be a third hotel of this modern luxury caliber built downtown in the next 3-4 years. It really is amazing. To put this in comparison, Milwaukee JUST got a Marriott and it is not a JW, just a regular Marriott. Still nice but we've had one for ages now.

I am so proud of how this city has blown up and just continued to grow while still retaining that small town feel that I personally love.

World class hotels, world class sports teams, world class arts, awesome growing local neighborhoods, we really do have it all and I think it's pretty cool to go from when we were only 7 or 8 years old and you had Shaq joking about how the only thing to do in INdy was Steak n Shake to now where there is a ton of stuff to do. 10 year old me would have laughed in adult me's face if I had gone back in time and told him there would be a Super Bowl hosted in Indy.

Love this city so much.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-27-2014 at 02:08 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good because I could see the Heat baiting Lance into a suspension otherwise. And a one game loss of Lance then would be devastating.
    Quinn spoke to how they may have done the P's a big favor last night by tossing Lance. Maybe he'll realize his **** can have consequences. (although I rather enjoy the fact we have someone with a bit an attitude so long as it doesn't cause another Detroit situation).

May I offer a caution....let's not get ahead of ourselves with all of the finals talk. Facing Chicago in the PO's worries me, so please, one step at a time.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Yeah I dunno, I was a bit surprised too. Frank said today that Roy had no lingering effects this morning so hopefully we are lucky.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    We gotta get as much of the house bouncing as humanly possible. I get ****ing goosebumps EVERY time I watch the pre-tip once Seven Nation Army kicks on and they show us bouncing around.

We get the rest of the building going..... HOLY ****. Some of the East teams might crap their pants in fear.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It's funny for people our age how we have transitioned. Growing up I always had this inferiority complex being constantly compared to Chicago or even St. Louis or Cincy. We were told very often that we were second rate and I don't know about you but it put a HUGE chip on my shoulder about our city and especially after going to IU and dealing with Chicago kids for 4 years, well I became really ****ing proud of this place.

Now that chip on my shoulder has an honest to goodness world class city to go alongside it. We have 15 years of dominant NFL football, we are the college sports capital of the world, the 500 is still a draw and now the Pacers are back after what was really a relatively short absence from the national spotlight (think about how long some teams go without being even a playoff team.)

Indy also has an amazing symphony (shout to the ISO dudes who did a kickass anthem last night BTW) and lots of other opportunities to indulge in the arts.

Where it really hits me when I travel to other cities now is with the JW and the Conrad. These are two world class brands and hotels that most cities our size won't even have one of. We have two and there will likely be a third hotel of this modern luxury caliber built downtown in the next 3-4 years. It really is amazing. To put this in comparison, Milwaukee JUST got a Marriott and it is not a JW, just a regular Marriott. Still nice but we've had one for ages now.

I am so proud of how this city has blown up and just continued to grow while still retaining that small town feel that I personally love.

World class hotels, world class sports teams, world class arts, awesome growing local neighborhoods, we really do have it all and I think it's pretty cool to go from when we were only 7 or 8 years old and you had Shaq joking about how the only thing to do in INdy was Steak n Shake to now where there is a ton of stuff to do. 10 year old me would have laughed in adult me's face if I had gone back in time and told him there would be a Super Bowl hosted in Indy.

Love this city so much.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: