Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vogel has seemed to imply Bynum will be back at some point. Considering history, though, you can take that for what it's worth.
    Oh did he? I hope so. Bynum would be huge for us against Miami. Still though, like you said, considering his history, I'm not getting my hopes up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

For those who think LeBron's elbow wasn't intentional:

Imagine that's a breakaway dunk and Roy wasn't there. Does LeBron swing his elbow in only one direction (the direction Hibbert was standing) before the finish?

If he doesn't, then he was doing it with intent.

Now, to part 2: When you jump as high as LeBron and your defender stands his ground, your elbow is likely to be above the chest area of your defender. Do you think LeBron knew that?

Part 3: Do you think LeBron has extreme eye-hand coordination? If you think he's in the top 1% of the population like I do, then you probably believe he is able to control where his arms go when he's in the air.

It was an unnatural move by LeBron, who knew where he was and where Hibbert was, and was fully able to control and direct his elbow. He should be suspended.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think comnplaining about the refs is not only a waste of time I think in this case it is just wrong. There were a ton of questionable calls and a lot of went our way. The two non-flagrants could have easily been called flagrants - judgement calls even with replay.

But when Wade hit that three in the 4th quarter and was waved off because they said he stepped out of bounds in the corner, he did not (ESPN had the clear replay). That is not a judgement call, and that was 3 points right there. Plus one of James drives into Roy in the first half it should have been a foul on Roy.

Well sure a lot of calls went against the Pacers. Yes of course, but a lot of calls went the Pacers way. If I were a Heat fan and tended to complain about the refs I would have plenty to complain about. So why bother complaining. I just get sick of it. There are going to be bad calls either way - some worse than others. I bet if I broke down every play and divided the calls in bad, good and questionable. They would be about equal number that went the heat way as went the Pacers way
    This is why I hate instant replay in ALL sports. Let the officials call the game, it's part of the game.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Officials must have believed that the game was being played in "Keep it Close" mode. At least the mistakes went both ways at different times.

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

I don't know how you can watch the Lebron-Roy replay and not think it was intentional. Live it was debatable, but when you slow it down you see a clear, unnatural hitch that sends Lebron's elbow up and Lebron was in a position to get a good view and land it. Do I think he intended necessarily to catch Roy square on the chin? No, but I do think he was doing it intentionally to clear space. I believe that if those shoe was on the other foot Lance would have been ejected had he done the same thing to let's say Bosh. Of course then Bosh would have to defend a play straight on so that will probably never happen.

I don't think it was malicious per say, but it was intentional, it was out of frustration and it was 100% reckless.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-27-2014 at 01:57 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    You sir, are magic.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Synchronicity FTW!!!! Great job!

I caught a little bit of Grady and Big Schmo on 1070 today, and Big Schmo was floating out the idea of resting guys on April 11 in Miami if we have the number 1 seed mathematically clinched at that point. I thought that was an absolutely absurd suggestion. Even if we do have the 1 seed locked up, that game down there on April 11 will essentially be free practice against them. We haven't knocked this team out of the playoffs yet and need every ounce of preparation possible. Winning in Miami is difficult, and we need all the experience we can get down there. Even if we get home court, you have to assume it's likely that Miami will be able to take a game in Indy, which means that we'd have to steal one down there. I just don't think that we're going to be able to eliminate them without taking a game in Miami, but thankfully we've shown we can do it in each of the last two's postseasons. But the idea that we can just blow off that April 11 game was just dumbfounding to me.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This is why I hate instant replay in ALL sports. Let the officials call the game, it's part of the game.
    Agreed 100%. However, I think we're a vast minority. With all the reliance on technology now, they may as well just simulate the season on Madden and pick a champion that way. It isn't that bad in the NBA yet, but it's getting there.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I caught a little bit of Grady and Big Schmo on 1070 today, and Big Schmo was floating out the idea of resting guys on April 11 in Miami if we have the number 1 seed mathematically clinched at that point. I thought that was an absolutely absurd suggestion. Even if we do have the 1 seed locked up, that game down there on April 11 will essentially be free practice against them. We haven't knocked this team out of the playoffs yet and need every ounce of preparation possible. Winning in Miami is difficult, and we need all the experience we can get down there. Even if we get home court, you have to assume it's likely that Miami will be able to take a game in Indy, which means that we'd have to steal one down there. I just don't think that we're going to be able to eliminate them without taking a game in Miami, but thankfully we've shown we can do it in each of the last two's postseasons. But the idea that we can just blow off that April 11 game was just dumbfounding to me.
    Do you risk Lance catching another flying elbow to the dome? I think I would at least reduce starters' minutes if we have it locked up.

I heard this morning that Lance is two technicals away from being suspended a game

Did the audience holding up the colored signs work last night? I didn't hear any mention of it on the FSI broadcast.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Did the audience holding up the colored signs work last night? I didn't hear any mention of it on the FSI broadcast.
    You watched FSI over ESPN?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I watched the first half on ESPN but I was tired of having Van Gundy justify every garbage call the Heat got in the first half.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Do you risk Lance catching another flying elbow to the dome? I think I would at least reduce starters' minutes if we have it locked up.
    I agree...Roy took a beating last night and I wouldn't want him to again for no gain.
    DG for 3

Mood

Those pre games always give me chills. This really has been an awesome season, Indiana is 100% behind these guys and it is just amazing to see the fans are back.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    I watched the first half on ESPN but I was tired of having Van Gundy justify every garbage call the Heat got in the first half.
    I like Van Gundy, but I'd put up with Stalin calling the game on ESPN since they have such better HD. The Fieldhouse looks so pristine on that HD of theirs.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    I agree...Roy took a beating last night and I wouldn't want him to again for no gain.

I think that experience playing in Miami is a gain though. It's certainly worth more than nothing.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Always. ALWAYS. Our commentating team is awesome, and I am a Pacers fan, and ESPN ALWAYS ****ING MAKES IT ABOUT ONE PLAYER. ALWAYS. I'd rather hear earnest commentating than superstar **** sucking. Something like "LeBron goes up for the shot, oh he misses but he almost made it ZOMG GOAT HE DUNKED IT WIDE OPEN OMGOMGOMG THREE PEAT." Tirico is awesome, but the rest of their commentating staff is just **** to me.

Also, **** Van Gundy.
    Last edited by Peck; 03-27-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Not sure how that got past the censor
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

30. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Yes. I cannot stand the constant Heat slobbering. Just watching that MR video of the ESPN feed following around the Heat was enough to make me gag. I treat it like I treat another certain channel, I switch it over, get my 5-10min fill, and then change back. Then repeat the cycle in about another 30mins.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I like Van Gundy, but I'd put up with Stalin calling the game on ESPN since they have such better HD. The Fieldhouse looks so pristine on that HD of theirs.
    FSI's picture is great on my tv.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    What? Van Gundy kept questioning the officials, saying that is a "play on." At no point did he justify the calls, he disagreed with most of them. Now if Boris Burke was calling the game, the volume would have been muted. (I don't have FSI)

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HickeyS2000 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    Always. ALWAYS. Our commentating team is awesome, and I am a Pacers fan, and ESPN ALWAYS ****ING MAKES IT ABOUT ONE PLAYER. ALWAYS. I'd rather hear earnest commentating than superstar dick sucking. Something like "LeBron goes up for the shot, oh he misses but he almost made it ZOMG GOAT HE DUNKED IT WIDE OPEN OMGOMGOMG THREE PEAT." Tirico is awesome, but the rest of their commentating staff is just **** to me.

Also, **** Van Gundy.

Our commentating team is good, but even they have habits that get annoying after listening to them every game, season after season. Plus watching on ESPN meant that I didn't have to see Denari's Kinetico water commercial, George Hill's Indiana Credit Union Commercial, Marsh food pyramid health lectures, and a bunch of Bob Rohrman/Terry Lee/Ray Skillman/Tom Wood car commercials.

I also like hearing what national people have to say about the Pacers and Fieldhouse atmosphere. Mike Tirico ALWAYS gushes about how great the Fieldhouse is, and he has said multiple times that it's his favorite gym in the league. I think Van Gundy makes a lot of great observations, like when he disagreed with the Lance tech.

But like I said, for me it all comes down to the HD. I'd switch from ESPN to FSI in a heartbeat if the HD was reversed. The ESPN HD is just pristine, while the FSI HD is honestly kind of weak by 2014 standards.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    No, I don't think it worked. They showed it on the jumbotron and I couldn't see "Beat the Heat".