Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing that annoys me about Lance's ejection is that after the 2nd T was called Wade started walking toward Lance staring him down and started clapping right towards him. Why was Wade not also assessed a second T?
    I assume that's a rhetorical question?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

We don't normally post the Indystar post-game article, but I thought this was interesting:

"I'm a very emotional player," Stephenson said after he scored 15 points and added two assists and two rebounds in nearly 34 minutes. "I play aggressively. I let my teammates down by doing that. I was wrong."
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-heat/6945109/

Good for Lance. I think that kind of acceptance of responsibility without making an excuse goes a long way in the locker room.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Lightbulb Re: Odd Thoughts: Beating the Heat & the refs

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Another point I wanted to make - all I want from the bench is for them to be able to hold their ground. This bench did that for the most part - the major run against them was when Miami actually had 3 of 5 starters on the floor. They may not have been spectacular, but they kept us in and let us rest the starters.

Bench would be better if Vogel would replace Scola with Copeland and CJ returns healthy. I mean Scola at least didn't turn the ball over last night but Copeland's ability to shoot the 3 is needed to stretch leads vs. Miami. But yeah we beat the refs last night too. The 2nd quarter was particularly aggregious.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    They weren't going to call flagrants on Ian or Scola til Baby Bron got his binkie and blankie and whined like the little ***** he is...the only reason it was even up for review is because he put on the show of the century and then stuff cotton up his nose even though he wasn't bleeding.
    I completely disagree. Both were questionable calls, that I would say are called flagrant 40% of the time

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I assume that's a rhetorical question?
    Correct, the issue is Wade has had the run of the refs much longer than Lebron has even. Wade is a master liar and manipulator. He could teach a college level course on it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I completely disagree. Both were questionable calls, that I would say are called flagrant 40% of the time
    The refs were not going to review the Scola one for certain until Lebron complained to them.

Can't believe no one brought up Evan Turner's "foul" on Wade where Wade's leg kicked up and ET touched him on the knee. I had no problem with the way they were calling the Pacers end in the first half, but have lots of problems with the touch fouls on the other end. Shameful. Shouldn't take a halftime worth of video examples for these chuckleheads to figure out how badly they look. Anyways.

I've been on Lance for the past week, and I've got to say, I've got 0% problems with Lance last night. I give him a pass for last night, as it was 3weeks of pure emotion just pouring out against your most hated opponent. That's the Lance I love. Quick decisions, being a pure bull, and then asking for more. Loved it. I hope he, and the rest of the guys, use that as a chip on their shoulder for the rest of this year.

That's also the PG I love. Straight line drives, not trying to cross someone up, just beating them off the dribble and then showing your athleticism.

I think that was the best win all year, considering all the crap surrounding the game. Gotta keep this momentum up for sure, but that one is one of those games that will stick with you forever.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Lance played well. But it helps when he can hit his outside shots. I still think he probably took a couple more outside shots than he should have.

One play did make me mad though. It was in the second half. Pacers turned it over and it was the one where Wade has a fastbreak and has to pump fake and ends up giving the ball to Lebron for an easy layup right at the rim. My problem is Lebron started out the play about 5 feet further away from the other end than Lance, and yet Lebron easily beats Lance down the floor as Lance is just sort of trotting back and never really makes it across midcourt. There was no reason lance didn't get back on defense on that play and he would have stopped an easy Lebron layup

Last night is a prime example of why it's impossible not to yearn for Bynum. With the way that the Heat struggle defending Hibbert, can you imagine what Bynum could do? I think that we can eliminate the Heat no matter what happens with Bynum, but man I'd really be high on our chances if we had him. He would just be a lethal asset against them. For $1 million, Bird just had to take that risk.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

It's amazing how bad Hill is at the FT line to finish the game when he's so good everywhere else at the end.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    It's amazing how bad Hill is at the FT line to finish the game when he's so good everywhere else at the end.
    In fairness, didn't he hit some huge free throws at the end of Game 2 in Miami last year?

But yeah, him missing key free throws at the end of the game has happened multiple times.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm going to piggyback off of Peck's post here and pick on his lowest graded player of the evening, Luis Scola.

I was excited about that trade at the time, thought it was a huge pickup and that Scola would help immensely. I think he's been at least partially misused all year on offense (he needs to be closer to the basket and operate very much as a center on that end of the floor), but if he is playing the pick and pop Tyler role...I'm sorry Luis, but Tyler was better. Luis makes more of the shots, but Tyler wrestled away a lot of offensive boards, hustled well, played vastly superior defense, got under opponent's skin, and got to the foul line a decent amount. He did a lot of those Jeff Foster things. I think we miss that at times.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Oh, and **** LeBron. Saying he'd have to be a kung fu master to jump in the air, throw an elbow, then get the shot off. Hey douchebag, you didn't get the shot off. Spare me the unintentional part, considering you forgot to release the ball before you came back down to the floor, and then gave it a little shove like a two-handed shotput.

There are very few players I dislike personally, and LeBron and Wade are on the tip top of that list.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Another point I wanted to make - all I want from the bench is for them to be able to hold their ground. This bench did that for the most part - the major run against them was when Miami actually had 3 of 5 starters on the floor. They may not have been spectacular, but they kept us in and let us rest the starters.
    Plus, the fact that it didn't cause a 10 point differential. I thought, besides not scoring alot, they held their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Oh, and **** LeBron. Saying he'd have to be a kung fu master to jump in the air, throw an elbow, then get the shot off. Hey douchebag, you didn't get the shot off. Spare me the unintentional part, considering you forgot to release the ball before you came back down to the floor, and then gave it a little shove like a two-handed shotput.

There are very few players I dislike personally, and LeBron and Wade are on the tip top of that list.
    Yeah, that was an absurd comment. I am not a professional athlete. In a basketball game, I could consciously elbow somebody in the face while going up for a shot at the rim and still fling the ball towards the rim. It's really not that hard.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm going to piggyback off of Peck's post here and pick on his lowest graded player of the evening, Luis Scola.

I was excited about that trade at the time, thought it was a huge pickup and that Scola would help immensely. I think he's been at least partially misused all year on offense (he needs to be closer to the basket and operate very much as a center on that end of the floor), but if he is playing the pick and pop Tyler role...I'm sorry Luis, but Tyler was better. Luis makes more of the shots, but Tyler wrestled away a lot of offensive boards, hustled well, played vastly superior defense, got under opponent's skin, and got to the foul line a decent amount. He did a lot of those Jeff Foster things. I think we miss that at times.
    Yeah, how many times recently have we watched Scola charge to the basket for a rebound immediately after releasing a jumper because he knows that the shot is going to come up tragically short? It's genuinely befuddling. This guy was sooooo smooth in the first two months of the season and our second unit was nasty when he was hitting shots.

I agree, I kind of miss Tyler at times too.

Oh, and I haven't dove through these post-game/Odd Thoughts threads too much yet, but we need CJ Watson back.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Lance played well. But it helps when he can hit his outside shots. I still think he probably took a couple more outside shots than he should have.

One play did make me mad though. It was in the second half. Pacers turned it over and it was the one where Wade has a fastbreak and has to pump fake and ends up giving the ball to Lebron for an easy layup right at the rim. My problem is Lebron started out the play about 5 feet further away from the other end than Lance, and yet Lebron easily beats Lance down the floor as Lance is just sort of trotting back and never really makes it across midcourt. There was no reason lance didn't get back on defense on that play and he would have stopped an easy Lebron layup
    I was very worried for a while that after Lance hit those 3 3s we'd never see the ball leave his hands again. Glad to see that did not happen.

And on defense, I've seen the same things. He doesn't get "beat" as such, because that would mean he was trying to get there. Not sure if it is something about his views of playing defense or if he's too focused on a defensive "assignment" to pay attention to any kind of ad-hoc help defense.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, how many times recently have we watched Scola charge to the basket for a rebound immediately after releasing a jumper because he knows that the shot is going to come up tragically short? It's genuinely befuddling. This guy was sooooo smooth in the first two months of the season and our second unit was nasty when he was hitting shots.

I agree, I kind of miss Tyler at times too.
    Shooting and charging the basket? That's called "following your shot" and is one of the good things Tyler was known for. Not sure why it's a bad thing when Luis does it.
    BillS

Shooting and charging the basket? That's called "following your shot" and is one of the good things Tyler was known for. Not sure why it's a bad thing when Luis does it.
    I think you misunderstood me. It's great that he shows the hustle to do it. But what's bad is that a guy whose shot was so locked in early in the season is now at a point where he's charging the basket because he knows immediately that his shot is going to come up short. The fact that this has happened multiple times recently shows just how off his shot is.

Last night is a prime example of why it's impossible not to yearn for Bynum. With the way that the Heat struggle defending Hibbert, can you imagine what Bynum could do? I think that we can eliminate the Heat no matter what happens with Bynum, but man I'd really be high on our chances if we had him. He would just be a lethal asset against them. For $1 million, Bird just had to take that risk.

It's been like a week and a half since he's sat so what's Bynum's status these days? Playoffs are in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    It's been like a week and a half since he's sat so what's Bynum's status these days? Playoffs are in 3 weeks.
    Out indefinitely. I'm guessing we've seen the last of him this season.

I think you misunderstood me. It's great that he shows the hustle to do it. But what's bad is that a guy whose shot was so locked in early in the season is now at a point where he's charging the basket because he knows immediately that his shot is going to come up short. The fact that this has happened multiple times recently shows just how off his shot is.
    Fair enough, but I'm old school enough that I want my midrange guys following their shot pretty much every time, no matter what their shooting percentage is.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Out indefinitely. I'm guessing we've seen the last of him this season.
    Vogel has seemed to imply Bynum will be back at some point. Considering history, though, you can take that for what it's worth.
    BillS

37. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

He often sacrifices a set shot to do it. He is in his own head. Thinks the shot is going to miss so he changes his body's momentum before the shot ever leaves his hand to start towards the hoop. It's a major issue.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: