Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 258

Thread: Uncle Buck speaks....

  1. #101
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember watching games earlier in the season and thinking if we are within 9 or less at halftime we have this game. Now I am surprised when we keep it close on the road. I was thrilled last night early in the Bulls game that were weren't down 28-15 after the first quarter. As I watch games now especially on the road I keep waiting for the collpase to occur
    We, my GF and I, kept talking last night about how awful the Pacers looked and yet they were only down 5-11 pts pretty much the entire way. I said it the other day, after the Knicks game, it really shows you just how much talent the Pacers have to be able to play like complete *** for an entire game and still have the ability to eek out a win. Even more impressive when you look at what the Knicks/Bulls have been doing to the rest of the league the past 2-3 weeks.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  3. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,022

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Lance wants to "be the man". I think he knows and realizes this is Paul's team right now. I also think that Lance gets the "little brother" treatment from the other 4 starters. Last year he had the least amount of FGA among the starters, and he was essentially the 5th option, glue guy. He now feels (rightfully so) that he's outgrown that place on the totem pole, and is wanting a more prominent role within the team..especially offensively.
    Rightfully so? He was at his best this season when he was playing as a glue guy still. The team was at its best when he was playing as a glue guy. Lance is great as a super-glue guy, he is not so great for a team's offense when he is not a glue guy. He hasn't learned how to be a main guy and still play within an offense.

  4. #103
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Check out their last two months and even their January http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2...vericks_season

    Actually kind of interesting.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. #104
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean does it really seem as simple as "Just going to what we used to do" at this point?
    ORLANDO JOHNSON IS NOT WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR!
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  7. #105
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rightfully so? He was at his best this season when he was playing as a glue guy still. The team was at its best when he was playing as a glue guy. Lance is great as a super-glue guy, he is not so great for a team's offense when he is not a glue guy. He hasn't learned how to be a main guy and still play within an offense.
    Did anyone else happen to catch Kenny Smith talking about when the Rockets added Mario Ellie last week on NBAtv?

    He talked about how certain players thrive in certain situations. He used Houston's pickup of Mario to illustrate it saying people thought they were crazy when Houston thought he was the missing piece, and it turned out he was. Ellie's ability to play a certain way, freed up everyone else. Put him on another team, and his value goes down, but he was the perfect pickup for them with the role they needed filled.

    Lance had the perfect role, played it beautifully, and then somewhere along the line his role changed and the value he brought to the team plummeted.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  9. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    This team's turned into hot garbage and will be lucky to make it out of the first round.

  10. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,022

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Missing the point entirely.

    You do not **** around with the chemistry on championship caliber teams. Period. Larry should have known that. They should be able to pull themselves out of it. But if they don't, my finger points here.
    I agree, this team isn't lost, but they need to start playing smart and within themselves again.

  11. #108
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought this was interesting

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1730415

    Buried in an article about Phil Jackson and the Knicks:

    Regarding Indiana’s post-All-Star break mediocrity: We’ll chalk some of it up to the fact they weren't a great team to being with, even if they did go 39-10 in their first 49 games. More recently, Paul George is learning how to be a superstar. His recent subpar play tells you that it can be a struggle, especially if there are off-court issues involved. The Pacers are saying, privately, that George is going through the same maturity issues all young players go through and they’ll work themselves out.
    But hasn't PG been having a bunch of subpar performances all season, thing is they were a GOOD TEAM, but individually, none of them are strong enough to carry any club.

    Yeah this season could turnout to be a waste of potential, from best record in the NBA to early round exit...smh
    Why so SERIOUS

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


  13. #109
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Check out their last two months and even their January http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2...vericks_season

    Actually kind of interesting.
    It is interesting, but I bet they didn't look horrible in most of their losses......and they do play in the West after all.

  14. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,022

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thing is they were a GOOD TEAM, but individually, none of them are strong enough to carry any club.
    Exactly, Paul and Lance are not good enough to be Durant and Westbrook or Lebron and Wade.

  15. #111
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    At this point they have 2 problems that need to be addressed before they get back to playing that team ball and dominating...

    1. PG and Lance have to share the ball, and make smart decisions, and quit ball stopping and going 1 on 1.
    2. Guys like West and Hibbert need to stop forcing shots when they actually do get the ball now because they think they have to do something with it. So their counter selfishness to PG and Lance's selfishness has to stop. They have to trust in making the smart play.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  17. #112
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,208

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rightfully so? He was at his best this season when he was playing as a glue guy still. The team was at its best when he was playing as a glue guy. Lance is great as a super-glue guy, he is not so great for a team's offense when he is not a glue guy. He hasn't learned how to be a main guy and still play within an offense.
    Rightfully so in his mind. I agree, our team was at it's best when that was his role. I will say, I think his talent equates to more than a 5th option glue guy, but I also think the rest of team suffers the further he gets from playing that role. Someone within the starting 5 has to take on that role. Initially it was Paul (go figure) until Danny went down. Then it was Lance. And now its....idk.

  18. #113
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is interesting, but I bet they didn't look horrible in most of their losses......and they do play in the West after all.
    Since Jan 1 the East has been just as good as the West, honestly.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  20. #114
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But hasn't PG been having a bunch of subpar performances all season, thing is they were a GOOD TEAM, but individually, none of them are strong enough to carry any club.

    Yeah this season could turnout to be a waste of potential, from best record in the NBA to early round exit...smh

    I think we still need to acknowledge that PG's defense is generally outstanding. On Lance's best day he might be as good as PG is every game defensively. That has to account for something.

    Maybe we need another dynamic scorer either at the 1 or the 2 to take the pressure off of PG. let PG concentrate on being Scottie Pippen instead of trying to be Jordan. Of course some of you are saying why can't it be Lance - I don't think it can be now

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  22. #115
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Yes, Paul's D is still other worldly. Lance's D is still often getting run around by Mike Dunleavy.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  24. #116
    Member Handoverfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    171

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    [QUOTE=graphic-er;1811645]At this point they have 2 problems that need to be addressed before they get back to playing that team ball and dominating...

    1. PG and Lance have to share the ball, and make smart decisions, and quit ball stopping and going 1 on 1.
    2. Guys like West and Hibbert need to stop forcing shots when they actually do get the ball now because they think they have to do something with it. So their counter selfishness to PG and Lance's selfishness has to stop. They have to trust in making the smart play.[/QUOTE completely agree.

  25. #117
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At this point they have 2 problems that need to be addressed before they get back to playing that team ball and dominating...

    1. PG and Lance have to share the ball, and make smart decisions, and quit ball stopping and going 1 on 1.
    2. Guys like West and Hibbert need to stop forcing shots when they actually do get the ball now because they think they have to do something with it. So their counter selfishness to PG and Lance's selfishness has to stop. They have to trust in making the smart play.
    Yes, but more than that I would love to see them run their offense beyond the first or second option. I see plays break down if the first or second option isn't there and then they go one-on-one. But this goes back to the trust issue - they don't trust each other anymore. Lance is thinking in the back of his mind if I pass the ball i ain't getting it back and that thought process is permeating the starting 5.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-25-2014 at 03:38 PM.

  26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  27. #118
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If..and I do mean..IF there is an actual irreversible problem. I blame Larry Bird. He screwed with the team that had great chemistry. And quite possibly made it clear to the players over how much loyalty the Pacers are actually going to show to them... People here wanted Granger gone, wanted a new toy. Danny wasn't a toy to the players. He was, at the very least, an important personality to the team..and sure looks like he could have helped on the court too.
    This is the very heart of the problem. Danny was the heart and soul of this team the year they stood up to the Heat and took them to 6 games. He was the one rooting them on last year and he stayed in Paul's ear the entire way. This year he was the one that willingly took a backseat and sacrificed his minutes for the betterment of the team. Bird traded away the one player that everyone on the team respected and listened too. He also brought in doubts, new faces, players they don't trust, and put some of the starters on notice - namely Lance, Mahinmi, and Hibbert by bringing in guys that could challenge them for minutes. This was a radical change in chemistry and disrupted the lockerroom. The only person that seems to have responded to the challenge is Mahinmi. Roy, Lance, and PG have barely resembled themselves since the trade.

    PG also started playing bad the moment the info about his alleged baby-mama hit the press. I'm wondering if he took a lot of flack from the team internally and his play is the result of sulking and pouting. I also wonder if he's still working as hard as he was this past offseason on getting shots up and focusing on his game.

    Well, they still have plenty of basketball left to play and they can still turn it around. Unfortunately, they have to do it by facing Miami twice, the red-hot Spurs, and OKC on the schedule. If they can just focus on sharing the ball and playing basketball, they can turn it around. They looked so good against the Bulls last Friday and against Denver a few weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  29. #119
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since Jan 1 the East has been just as good as the West, honestly.
    I'm talking about 2010-11. The West overall was much stronger than the East is now. Sure, Dallas finished a little shaky, but they were probably playing better teams overall than the Pacers are currently playing.

  30. #120
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,360

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've wondered if Lance's assists went down after the all the talk of turnovers being such a problem.
    His turnover numbers sure didn't.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:


  32. #121
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm talking about 2010-11. The West overall was much stronger than the East is now. Sure, Dallas finished a little shaky, but they were probably playing better teams overall than the Pacers are currently playing.
    I don't know, and I really don't have the time to compare records of teams, but my overall point was, here is a team that farted through the season after January 1 after starting 24-5 and still won the title.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  33. #122
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know, and I really don't have the time to compare records of teams, but my overall point was, here is a team that farted through the season after January 1 after starting 24-5 and still won the title.
    Not in Feb. They were like 10-1. They were 9-6 in March I think. Not exactly horrible. I do see your point though. It can be done.

  34. #123
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Let me ask point blank. lets say we trade PG, re-sign Lance and team lance with Hill, West, Roy and whoever we get for PG - so pretty much the same team without PG. Does anyone think that is the way to go? I sure don't.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-25-2014 at 08:43 PM.

  35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  36. #124
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me ask point blank. lets say we trade PG, re-sign Lance and team lance with Hill, West, Roy and whoever we get for PG. Does anyone think that is the way to go? I sure don't.
    I say let Lance walk and hope to God PG matures at some point.(and keeps working) I don't think Lance and PG can co-exist and I think that Lance causes issues with other players more. Get a good player with the money alloted to re-sign Lance.

  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:


  38. #125
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we still need to acknowledge that PG's defense is generally outstanding. On Lance's best day he might be as good as PG is every game defensively. That has to account for something.

    Maybe we need another dynamic scorer either at the 1 or the 2 to take the pressure off of PG. let PG concentrate on being Scottie Pippen instead of trying to be Jordan. Of course some of you are saying why can't it be Lance - I don't think it can be now
    Exactly, but since we can't get consistent offense it won't matter much in the playoffs with regards to winning.

    I am with you on that idea of a dynamic scorer, but what direction do we go, I thought George could be a scorer, but we don't use him like that (if you look at him when he was with the Spurs he was pretty efficient, he could drive or pullup and hit shots all over), if we had a guy that could and was allowed to play that role by his teammates we would be better off.

    But honestly all I think we really need is to start playing smart team ball again, if we can figure that out someone over the next few games, and come together in the playoffs we maybe able to salvage the potential of this group for this season, atleast that is what I feel.
    Why so SERIOUS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •