Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncle Buck speaks....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Uncle Buck speaks....

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The biggest trend amongst our dialogue seems to be blame either Paul or Lance, with a smattering of you have to look at both. I'm in this latter camp, and I suspect the truth is closer to this middle ground that at either extreme. It has to be their developing profiles, increased attention, and larger roles on the team, particularly offensively.

Although I will freely admit that Hibbert is maddening and it may well be that "bad" Hibbert stretches are more the norm and "good" Hibbert stretches the exception. Not long ago many of use were touting this as our foundational core for years to come. Now they are all playing poorly and apparently they cant get along at all. Is this turning into a JO/Ron-Ron situation where two guys can't find a way to negotiate being "the man" with the best interest of the team and winning? Sounds like a bunch of unprofessional, immature behavior. Somebody has to step in and get those three straightened out or it is about to spiral out of control.
    I don't think Lance wants to "be the man". I think he knows and realizes this is Paul's team right now. I also think that Lance gets the "little brother" treatment from the other 4 starters. Last year he had the least amount of FGA among the starters, and he was essentially the 5th option, glue guy. He now feels (rightfully so) that he's outgrown that place on the totem pole, and is wanting a more prominent role within the team..especially offensively.

I think this is affecting D.West, Roy, and Hill more than it has affected PG. PG knows he's going to get his FGA regardless (good FGA be damned) The other three starters have been knocked down the totem pole by a player that up until this year was seen as a complimentary piece as opposed to a featured piece.

I think everyone is professional enough to accept their role and accept the erratic/demonstrative play of Lance when we are winning 65-70% of our games. But now that we have hit a rough spot, they don't seem to be quite as accepting of their new roles within the offense, and they're wanting Lance to play more within the team. In Lance's defense, he had to wait two years of being buried on the bench to get his chance, and last year he sacrificed individual numbers in order to be that glue guy I mentioned before. Now he's shown that he's a player in this league, and he doesn't want to go back to a reduced role.

So now what do we have? We have PG who is struggling with defenses concentrating on him, Lance trying to show that the offense should run through him more (as it did earlier in the season), and 3 other starters who are trying to prove that they should be a more focal part of the offense as they were last year when we were a game from the NBA finals. This all equates to too much ISO ball, too much holding the ball (or dribbling in Lance's case) and not enough passing/facilitation.

Just my opinion of course
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 03-25-2014 at 02:20 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Then why are we giving Lance an out, brining up his FG%, when talking about his performances? His shot selection has been down right AWFUL.
    Has his shot selection been downright awful for 3 months? And I'm not giving Lance an out BTW. He hasn't been that good lately, he holds on to the ball too long, he looks for the highlight reel, he has had bad shot selection recently, and his defense was poor last night.

That being said, in the month of March, Lance is still averaging 47.8% from the field. He is taking 11.35 field goal attempts per game this month. This is compared to 15.28 attempts per game in March for PG on 37.4 FG%.

It's not even close. Paul George's shooting is a much bigger detriment than Lance's. This month, PG has been shooting 10% worse than Lance, yet takes 4 more shots per game. That's not to say that Lance doesn't have plenty that he deserves to be criticized on, including shot selection, but he continues to make way more of his shots than PG.

This PG cold spell isn't some slump that's merely been going on for a couple of weeks. No, this is THREE MONTHS worth of hideous shooting percentages.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Has his shot selection been downright awful for 3 months? And I'm not giving Lance an out BTW. He hasn't been that good lately, he holds on to the ball too long, he looks for the highlight reel, he has had bad shot selection recently, and his defense was poor last night.

That being said, in the month of March, Lance is still averaging 47.8% from the field. He is taking 11.35 field goal attempts per game this month. This is compared to 15.28 attempts per game in March for PG on 37.4 FG%.

It's not even close. Paul George's shooting is a much bigger detriment than Lance's. This month, PG has been shooting 10% worse than Lance, yet takes 4 more shots per game. That's not to say that Lance doesn't have plenty that he deserves to be criticized on, including shot selection, but he continues to make way more of his shots than PG.

This PG cold spell isn't some slump that's merely been going on for a couple of weeks. No, this is THREE MONTHS worth of hideous shooting percentages.
    Yes, it's giving him an out because, Lance is getting his at the detriment of the other players.

Lance's shooting FG% means zip, if they don't win. Allowing Lance to dominate the ball, while allowing PG to dominate the ball, while allowing Evan Turner dominate the ball, is absolutely horrible for the rest of the team. It really doesn't matter, to me, what each guy is shooting because even if they (PG/ET) were shooting better, I still don't think they'd win. They still looked like crap last night, when PG was hovering around 50%.

I just don't understand being unhappy with the way PG is playing, but being satisified with the way Lance is playing, when they're playing the exact same. Sure, Lance's FG% hasn't dipped, but the rest of the team has.

PG's FG% is really the least of the problems I'm worried about. Getting him to playing the style he played earlier in the season will fix that. Getting Lance to play the style he was earlier in the season will go a long ways to fix a lot of the other issues too. It starts and ends with both of them, not just one.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

He could have asked for a trade and gotten the hell out of here.
    True, but that doesn't mean he would have been granted one
    Sittin on top of the world!

Ace's post about building a team to combat superstars, only to revert to superstars carrying the team was 100% spot on. I think it's impossible to get closer to the mark. It's completely went to PG's/Lance's head.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Bird clearly did not understand the problem. If he did he would have traded Lance. You would have to be blind to think the main problem isn't Lance. It was prior to the All-Star break, and still is. Yeah Paul hasn't been great, but the guys have bought into him being a great player. They like him and respect him. Lance they don't. I also think Paul has respect for the other players on the team as well, where Lance clearly does not. Paul's play clearly isn't helping, but it starts and ends with Lance.
    Really?

Do you not recall when Lance got his first tipple double how the whole bench was up cheering and high fiving him when he came out the game?

I think they like Lance , although I will say I dont see Hill and West as his best buddies
    Sittin on top of the world!

Is Paul George not allowed to call Danny Granger anymore? I mean Danny didn't even always travel with the team. They can still talk.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Is Paul George not allowed to call Danny Granger anymore? I mean Danny didn't even always travel with the team. They can still talk.
    Oooooh, that's what the picture taking device is really for....

who knew?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seeker80 For This Useful Post:

Dudes, this is the biggest cry-baby thread yet!!! I guess we can't wait for our play off performance before we blow up the team??!! This **** gets unbelievable at times.
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, do you think our little drama play has affected Lance's potential number$?

Wait, its the NBA, we throw stupid money over and over again at guys like Ron World Peace.

Nevermind.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I can only get so frustrated with a wing who is shooting 50% on the season. He's not perfect. He makes mistakes, holds the ball too long, and likes to focus on getting on the highlight reel. But he's also been our most consistent player this year and is a huge reason why we won so many games. He's been way better at his role than PG has at his lately.

Our biggest problem is that we allow a guy who has been shooting about 40% for three months to hog such a disproportionate amount of our shots.
    The issue with creation is a serious one though. For a team that needs any ounce of easy scoring they can get, Lance's assists going down by 2 a game over the past few months, along with Roy's rebounding going down by one offensive board a month is a major issue. Paul's shooting % doesn't help and I think you'll obviously see I'm not letting him off the hook, but Lance has definitely changed his game since he got snubbed.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WInslow22 View Post
    Dudes, this is the biggest cry-baby thread yet!!! I guess we can't wait for our play off performance before we blow up the team??!! This **** gets unbelievable at times.
    This is the worst stretch of basketball this team has ever played together for no apparent reason. It is not an overreaction at this point. Even with the slow start in 2012-2013 last year, there was a tangible thing, Paul was not ready to step in for Danny yet. Now we don't have anything tangible to point to and the car is falling apart around us.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WInslow22 View Post
    Awesome signature. Can't believe my band is still around after 40 years.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Where do things go from here? Sounds like the players have had meetings, I'm sure the coaches and players have had meetings. We don't know anything the players and coaches didn't know weeks ago. So this is not new to them. But what they have done so far doesn't seem to have righted the ship.

We can still get homecourt in the east. We can still beat the Hawks in the first round, and the Nets or Bulls in the second (although that would likely go 7 games) we can still get to the Heat in the ECF. Is the ECF's where the chemistry issues stop the season? Maybe the players can put their deferences aside for the playoffs. My experience tells me things don't work like that in the NBA - other teams are too good.

I honestly don't know where we go from here. I suppose I expect us to keep muddling through. I don't expect us to suddenly turn it around now or in the playoffs. And I don't expect the wheels to come completely off as in lose 10 of our last 12 and in 5 games first round.

I suppose I see us being in real trouble in the second round of the playoffs against the Bulls, Nets, or Raptors.

Hopefully Paul George wasn't texting pictures of his dick to somebody else's significant other. One of Bill Simmons rules for what always cause unrest in the locker room other than card games.

Here's this:
    Quote Originally Posted by @ScottAgness
    Roy Hibbert says the team had a great practice today and changed a few things up. May play inside more with force - like they used to.
    Hopefully the genie isn't too far out the bottle.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Here's this:

I mean does it really seem as simple as "Just going to what we used to do" at this point? I feel like they said something similar to this right after the 4 game losing streak.

Here's this:

Maybe it's like 2008 Boston Celtics where they went a little above .500 for the 2nd half the season, had two seven game series and then won the finals.

Missing the point entirely.

You do not **** around with the chemistry on championship caliber teams. Period. Larry should have known that. They should be able to pull themselves out of it. But if they don't, my finger points here.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I actually kind of expected this. The team played above their heads last post season and without a Major bench improvement(which was hopeful but didn't happen), this team is going to remain a good team not capable of winning a Title. I think there would be a slight chance if everybody was totally committed to team ball and leaving it all on the court every game, but I don't see that happening at this point. Guys started believing the early season success and media hype and you see the result.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I've wondered if Lance's assists went down after the all the talk of turnovers being such a problem.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I mean look, if Roy can't dominate tomorrow after all this talk about specifically getting him the ball over the past week, then the whole thing is screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Missing the point entirely.

You do not **** around with the chemistry on championship caliber teams. Period. Larry should have known that. They should be able to pull themselves out of it. But if they don't, my finger points here.
    The Pistons added RASHEED WALLACE to their team and won a title that year.

Chemistry is the most overrated thing in sports. It is nice to have, but not necessary. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal were 3 of the biggest douches in sports over the past 2 decades and also 3 of the most successful.

This team could maybe stand to get on each other a little bit more in practice and during the games instead of waiting til afterward. We used to even see little spats on the bench, but now there is almost nothing. Like UB said, it is like they don't care.

And if the rule was hard and fast that you don't **** with championship teams and Danny leaving was going to just **** us this hard well then that pretty much says all I need to know about this group of guys. And if that makes me callous so be it, I don't pay to sit the stands so I can be their shrinks.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-25-2014 at 03:09 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Great practices are nice, but I would hope they would have a great practice the day before the Heat game. I don't think the players have quit, but what happens is within a game when things start to go bad our ability to correct things within a game which was so good during the first half of the season is now just not there. Remember how we dominated almost every third quarter?

I remember watching games earlier in the season and thinking if we are within 9 or less at halftime we have this game. Now I am surprised when we keep it close on the road. I was thrilled last night early in the Bulls game that were weren't down 28-15 after the first quarter. As I watch games now especially on the road I keep waiting for the collapse to occur.

If the Heat win tomorrow night I do not expect to gain homecourt in the east. In order to get homecourt in the east I consider it a must win.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-25-2014 at 03:04 PM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

This is the worst stretch of basketball this team has ever played together for no apparent reason. It is not an overreaction at this point. Even with the slow start in 2012-2013 last year, there was a tangible thing, Paul was not ready to step in for Danny yet. Now we don't have anything tangible to point to and the car is falling apart around us.
    Yeah, we're playing pretty ******....But we did just beat the Bulls last week (convincingly at that). I'm pretty confident that we'll play up to speed in the post-season. I'm also pretty sure that our team just wants to get on w/ the regular season.....They're over it. They want to make sure they don't get hurt, conserve a little energy, etc. And I'm pretty sure they're just a little sick of one another. It happens. But "talk" about getting rid of two of our starters before we've even played one post-season game is just, well, dumb.
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

39. The Following User Says Thank You to WInslow22 For This Useful Post: