Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Coming to indiana tomorrow!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I'm Coming to indiana tomorrow!!!!

My 8 year old son and I will be traveling to indiana tomorrow from Anguilla for the heat pacers game, granted we'll be in the bleachers we are extremely excited. I'd love to meet you guys also

This will be my second pacer game live but my first in indiana. If you guys have any tips to make my visit a better one please don't hesitate to say.
    Impossible Is Nothing

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I'm Coming to indiana tomorrow!!!!

You picked an interesting time. Tomorrow will be the annual "What? I thought it was SPRING!!" snow (though it isn't supposed to be very much).

Where will you be staying? If you have time during the day at all, you MUST take your son to the Children's Museum.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No tips to make it better, as I bet you'll have a blast doing anything other than just sitting in your hotel room. Indy is a great, clean city so just go out and enjoy yourself. (Bring warm clothes though as it's supposed to be 30-40s) If you do happen to rent a car, the Indiana Basketball HOF is only about a 30-40min trip straight east. Knightstown where they shot the basketball scenes for Hoosiers is in that direction too, so if there is any desire it's not a bad round trip to make. (It's inbetween the HOF and Indy, but a little futher north)
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Any ideas what you want for dinner? I've made this post like 100 times, a good thread to have stickied would be like a "So you're visiting Indy" thread, locals could update it with good restaurants, bars, hotels, etc.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Where are you staying? Downtown Indy is a very charming area - full of wonderful bars, restaurants, and walkable streets. Will you be renting a car? If not, you could always take a cab or bus up to the Children's Museum. The Indianapolis Museum of Art is an utterly lovely place as well, and it's completely free. It's a true world class art museum. You could also always go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Msueu. But if all you want to do is stay downtown, then there should be plenty to keep you busy. The NCAA Museum is downtown and your son would probably like that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks everyone. We get in around 10 pm and leave the morning of the 27th at 5 am. It was a last minute decision made possible by some great co workers covering for me.

We are gonna be staying at
    Holiday inn
    Indianapolis Dtn-Conv Ctr Area
    410 South Missouri Street

I'll be free the entire day of the 26, I'm open for anything. I also just upgraded my seats to lower level baseline 20.
    I'll definitely check out your thread joe thanks for the dinner offer how bout we change that to lunch? Haha, and the museum sounds like a great idea,I'm sure my son will love it.

So it's suppose pd to snow tomorrow? Great! My son has never seen snow he is gonna lose his mind lol.

Thanks for everything I'll keep you guys posted
    Impossible Is Nothing

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question can I bring a sign/poster to the game?

Can I entire on an electronic ticket on my phone or do I have to have it printed?

How early can I enter the stadium? Can I watch the pregame shoot arounds etc?
    Impossible Is Nothing

OK. Somebody here knows someone that can get these guys a few perks at the Fieldhouse.

Hook them up ...............

niceee! Hopefully one day i can go to indy and watch a pacer game.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LeRyan07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LeRyan07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    niceee! Hopefully one day i can go to indy and watch a pacer game.
    It's my dream, im from Portugal, in my Honeymoon i will go to Indiana just to watch a Pacers game

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LucasRL13 For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LucasRL13 View Post
    It's my dream, im from Portugal, in my Honeymoon i will go to Indiana just to watch a Pacers game
    Honeymoon in Indiana

I love you guys
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    Thanks everyone. We get in around 10 pm and leave the morning of the 27th at 5 am. It was a last minute decision made possible by some great co workers covering for me.

We are gonna be staying at
    Holiday inn
    Indianapolis Dtn-Conv Ctr Area
    410 South Missouri Street

I'll be free the entire day of the 26, I'm open for anything. I also just upgraded my seats to lower level baseline 20.
    I'll definitely check out your thread joe thanks for the dinner offer how bout we change that to lunch? Haha, and the museum sounds like a great idea,I'm sure my son will love it.

So it's suppose pd to snow tomorrow? Great! My son has never seen snow he is gonna lose his mind lol.

Thanks for everything I'll keep you guys posted

You'll be staying a chip shot away from the Colts' stadium (Lucas Oil Stadium). It's very close to the NCAA headquarters and multiple museums on the canal (Eiteljorg, Indiana State Museum), as well as Bankers Life Fieldhouse and the main downtown core. That hotel is a great location. The Children's Museum however is about 30 blocks away from downtown, so you'll need some mode of transportation to get there. You'll have plenty to keep you occupied near the hotel though.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

There are som NCAA tourney games Friday & Sunday (?). L'ville, KY, Michigan, Tenn ........ Downtown will have a really good vibe.

(Lots of people from Kentucky will be here. Don't judge us through them.)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

You're in walking distance of St. Elmo's and Harry & Izzy's (assuming your son is up for the hike). St. Elmo's is the place to go in Indy if you like steak and want the Indy experience, I don't believe they are the best steaks in the city per say, but the atmosphere and the history is worth it if you're here just for a night or two, and no it's not a tourist trap. Locals do still eat there, so the food is fine and the service is great. Harry & Izzy's next door is owned by the same people and has a lot of the same things, but in a slightly more casual atmosphere. Harry & Izzy's is one of my favorite lunch or dinner places in Indy. It's a really versatile restaurant if you're worried about your kid in a sit down steak house like Elmo's but want to get similar food owned by the same people, H&I is a great way to go.

A place I don't usually recommend, but will now since you're coming out of the country is Steak n Shake. This is another brand that is pretty synonymous with the Hoosier state (the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University is named after the original founder). It's really just a fast food joint, but the steakburgers are alright and your kid would probably love the milkshakes, plus I doubt it is something you can get in Anguilla. It is a really good option for lunch especially if you're going to be in the Circle Centre mall, there is one right there and it has been there for years. It spawned a famous quote from Shaq many years ago early in his career that Steak n Shake was the only thing to do in Indianapolis (not true anymore, but still a funny quote nonetheless).

There is another steakhouse place that is good for before games called Prime 47. It is literally right next to the Fieldhouse and is my regular hangout before games. The service is great and if you sit in the lounge it is extremely kid friendly (the restuarant is too, but the lounge is louder and has a little more going on). Its location cannot be beat.

There is a pretty good regional sub place on the circle called Pot Belly's that might be worth hitting for lunch too.

I don't know if you're wanting to use cabs or not, but the Mass Ave area downtown also has a bunch of great restaurants to eat at, but it is probably worth springing for a cab if you're going to head out there (it is walkable though so if you think you're up to it more power to you.) It's a little bit more of a bar area, especially the later the night goes, but there are some good restaurants on it as well that if you went there before a game would be fine for a kid.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, there are a lot of cool places in and around downtown so this doesn't even begin to cover it.

Oh and a suggestion for you, try our local beers if you're a beer guy at all. Indy is a booming craft beer town, Sun King, Triton, and Flat 12 are the three biggest right now. You pretty much can't go wrong with brews from any of those places and you will find them being served at most restaurants in downtown Indy. Three Floyd's and Upland are two other strong Indiana breweries but they are not based downtown (Three Floyd's is in Munster up near Chicago and Upland is based in Bloomington, the home of the Hoosiers), even though neither of them is based downtown they are both great breweries. Three Floyd's is nationally recognized, if you tell beer people that you're from Indiana they will immediately bring it up. Upland isn't quite on the same level, but I Have a soft spot for the beers from there as I consumed many a pitcher of the stuff during nice college days in spring. If you want specific beer suggestions from each brewery I can make a post on that, but you may not be a beer guy at all so I don't want to bore you for no reason.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Can I entire on an electronic ticket on my phone or do I have to have it printed?
    No, you don't have to print them. They'll scan the barcodes off your phone.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Weber Grill is another great restaurant that serves high quality American food.

Napolese is a great new trendy pizza place.

Alibabas near the Capitol on Market St. are the best Gyros I've ever had.

There are a lot of great ethnic restaurants in Indy, but most of them are outside of the immediate downtown core. There is a phenomenal Greek restaurant called "Greek Islands" near Shapiro's Deli (also worth a try) on South Meridian. That area is walkable from where you'll be staying.

There is an out of this world restaurant called The Bosphorus (SE of downtown) that serves phenomenal Turkish food.

King David Hot Dogs downtown (located in M&I bank building) are some of the best hot dogs on the planet.

Indy is an extremely underrated restaurant city. A lot of people write it off as being "Chain City USA", but there are a TON of great local restaurants.

http://www.aroundindy.com/tomorrow.php

It's a bit pricey, but I'd suggest eating at www.cafepatachou.com for breakfast or brunch (Bynum is a fan). It will be chilly, so I'd just stick with the State Museum, Circle Center Mall, The Civil War Museum or even the City Market for lunch (all inside stuff that's within walking distance). It's a chain restaurant, but having lunch at www.fogodechao.com could be a memorable experience for your son. You can shop at the Pacer store at the Fieldhouse. And then try to score some autographs, I think around 45 minutes before tip-off, at the bottom of section 1 when they're warming up.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We're at the kids museum now ita awesome!
    Impossible Is Nothing

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

We're at the kids museum now ita awesome!
    Luckily they close at 5 so you won't have to pry your son out to go to the game
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Looks like ESPN is at the Fieldhouse all day... Wish I was there! If you get to talk to them, please tell the ESPN lady that it is Bankers Life FIELDHOUSE...Not Arena!

One note if you see this - some of the PD folks gather as people are leaving the game to talk about the game. We're usually in the entry pavilion over by the window that looks down to the practice court - somewhere in front of the steps going down to the suites level that are just beyond the bank of elevators. Come by and introduce yourself!
    BillS

Didn't catch you after the game - there weren't many of us hanging around so don't know if you tried to find us or not.

How did everything else go (besides the game, which was great, of course)? Did your son enjoy himself?
    BillS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'll guys the trip was great, I had an awesome time and so did my son. We were on espn pre game shouting and screaming in the cam, kids museum was great, we went to lids at the mall just down from Lucas oil stadium and they had buy one get one half off , dam we bought a million pacer gear lol, it was a great feeling just being able to buy it from a store, something that simple, I've never seen our gear in a store before.

Sorry I didn't see your post at the game bills, I tried using the wifi but it wasn't allowing me to browse. It was an amazing atmosphere, I wish games were within reach all the time, I got really loud, next time I think I'll sit in the bleachers, seems like a lot more fun, some people were looking at me like I was crazy for having fun, the folks sitting next to me even missed the entire first half..... Wtf?

I was surprised at the amount of people wearing heat gear , at the mall and the game, they drew a lot of cheers whenever the heat scored also, I Feel. Hills gripe.

By the end of the game I completely lost my voice. after the game I went court side and took pics. I don't think I could've chosen a better game to attend, those hill misses gave me a migraine tho, can't say I was surprised though.

I was really surprised by the size of west hibbert and mahimi, geez those guys are huge. It was also frustrating seeing lebron get those phantom calls up close and personal, it's frustrating to say the least.

Indiana is a great place, I'll definitely be back, weather really sucks tho, couldn't handle that all year, everyone was really nice, extremely polite and mannerly, so much different to the bigger cities.there was a shuttle to the game from my hotel that helpd, made a few friends at the game and at the hotel, my son ask why was everyone white? Kids say the darnest things.

Thanks for everything guys, definitely a dream come true, I'll try to make it back for the playoffs and hopefully we can all meet
    Impossible Is Nothing

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

I was really surprised by the size of west hibbert and mahimi, geez those guys are huge.
    it's funny, that in your mind you know these dudes are 7 feet tall, but it's still shocking in real life.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Man I really F***ed this up Romsey. I assume this is Romsey from the Star days that once saw JO when he visited the Carribean. If so then it sucks I wasn't keeping up with PD enough cause I work right by the hotel you stayed in and would have done some around town stuff with you and your boy. Plus my game seats aren't that far from where you were sitting, I would have tracked you down during the game.

Glad you got to the Children's Museum cause it's really nice. It's good that you stayed downtown because it's silly not to, there is too much good stuff nearby.

As for good seats with people missing chunks of the game, that's normal. That's why I kept adjusting my season tix till I was down by the bench where that happens less and I can get to know most of my neighbors. In the 2000 playoffs vs the Sixers a guy and his sister missed the whole 1st quarter which included Geiger landing on me on an OOB play. Nothing worse than the flakes that have been given tix and don't really care.

Heat fans - it was better than normal, though the playoffs were a bit better (less Heat fans) last year.

I've been hanging with Trader Joe for a lot of post games so I haven't been in the PD after game much myself. Not intentional, just how it's worked out.

Awesome that you got to do that trip. I love it when PD people get into town. CableKC did it a couple years ago, Francisco (@bomber559) did it last year for OKC (unfortunately), just so many and it's always fun to see them experience BLF for themselves. I haven't been to a better arena yet.

The weather - well this year was especially bad and we are all sick of it, but it's never the Caribbean.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: