Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Miller

Default Reggie Miller

I was a Pacers fan before Reggie Miller, I will be a Pacers fan after Reggie Miller retires.

Out of all of the seasons he's played for the team I can only think of about 2 years where he was my favorite Pacer. In truth during the 90's he ranked probably no higher than 3 on my fav. list.

I couldn't stand his trash talking when he was young. I wanted to kill him when he bowed in Chicago & then Kukoc hit the game winner. I could never stand the fact that the man shot to many damn three's. I will always believe he could have scored 5-8 more ppg if he would have taken the mid-range game that he ruled at. I couldn't stand the way he baited the refs., nobody in the history of the NBA has more "T's" after getting the benefit of a call. Early on I could not stand the way he played defense. I will always beleive that Reggie could have been more. He was every bit as good as Alex English was & if he would have dedicated to the mid-range game more he would have been even better.

At the end of the day that is where I was always at with Reggie, I wanted more from him because I thought he was capable of giving it.

But for all of his faults, for all of my complaints I will say this. I have never been prouder of a Pacer.

There has never been a player more identified with this franchise than Reggie & there has rarely been a better spokesperson for the community & for our team.

I often underestimate how popular Reggie really is. I've been so used to him for so long that I have often taken him for granted. But even right here in our own forum all you have to do is look for the young kids who weren't even born when Reggie came here & see their fanatical loyalty to him to understand this isn't an ordinary player. Even J.O. just got a dose of this at his press conferance for the charity thing when that little 5 year old though he was Reggie.

To this day you can go to a game & we could win or lose by 20 & Reggie could be 0-10 from the field but if he pulls up & hits a three it's like everybody in the fieldhouse just won the lottery.

So I'm going to take this vow. Since it is really over & there is nothing higher to aspire to for Reggie I will say this.

From this day forward I will not say anything critical of Reggie Miller. I will just be a fan & try & enjoy what days we have left together. If the team wants to start him & let him play 40 min. a game that's fine with me. If I thought we had a chance to see him win it all then I would feel differantly, but since we don't have that chance I just want Reggie to do what Reggie wants to do.

Now on a personnal note I really wish there was some way to bring Dale home right now. I wanted Dale & Reggie to out together.

So from this day forward it's nothing but R.A.S. for me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Reggie Miller

.. No really, I just got something in my eye.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

3ptmiller

3ptmiller

EVERY STEP YOU TAAAAKEE....
    EVERY MOOOVEE YOU MAKEEE...
    EVERY SINGLE DAY..
    EVERY TIME I SEE SPIKE LEE IS GAY...
    WE WILL BE MISSING YOUUUUUUU

Since Dale's coming back, let's pry Mark Jackson away from ESPN.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel the way Peck does, in the fact that Reggie could have averaged more points per game had he not just settled for 3's.

I will always respect that Reggie was a key player that helped bring this team out of mediocrity. I just don't think he deserves the title "best clutch player ever" that so many give him when he never won a championship. It just bothered me that he was sometimes put over Micahel Jordan or Larry Bird. Most of Reggie's great moments came in the early games of playoff series', and alot of those series' were series' in which the Pacers lost.

But, I can't describe how weird it will be to not see him next year. I was born on 8/13/87 so I have never even been alive in a season when Reggie wasn't on the Pacers. As a young kid back in 95, I remember wearing my Reggie jersey, thinking he was the greatest thing ever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

pretty much sums up the way I felt about Joe Dumars six years ago. I'd spent my whole life as a Pistons fan watching him start at SG, It felt REALLY awkward in his last season, because it was hard to fathom Joe Dumars NOT being part of the team. Watching him walk off the court in that last game was pretty painful. However, i started to get over it, because I'll always have the memories of a short, slow, stocky SG that couldn't jump over a phone book, yet managed somehow to start for the same club for 15 years, and shut down players that were bigger, faster, and MUCH more athletic than he was. Thats how I'll always remember Joe Dumars, no matter how successful he is off the court.

Guys that become mainstays with your team for nearly two decades don't ever go away, wether they're retired or not.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I'll ask this question specifically to Peck, but others please intervene to answer.

Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton get compared a lot, even though Reggie is the master of the clutch 3 and Rip is the master of the mid-range jumper. I'm just curious, based on Peck's comments, could Reggie have been as good a mid-range shooter as Rip is?

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll ask this question specifically to Peck, but others please intervene to answer.

Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton get compared a lot, even though Reggie is the master of the clutch 3 and Rip is the master of the mid-range jumper. I'm just curious, based on Peck's comments, could Reggie have been as good a mid-range shooter as Rip is?
    Better... Think about it.. Reggie is 40% from 3PT... 90% from FT range... 60% near basket... he could like averaged above 30 ppg? hehe...

At some point in time Reggie got caught up in the role as a 3 point gunslinger and tossed aside the midrange game. He could've been better than Rip because he was taller and had better range in the first place.

I'm not sure whether the image as a 3 point gunslinger became a monster that needed fed and Reggie couldn't walk away from it, or if a coach (or coaches... ) or management wanted it for some reason. In any case, Reggie was happy to oblige.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

I think Reggie still would've had the better shooting % from midrange. Rip, however, has such a quick release (he's like the Marino of basketball), that he can get the shot off quicker, which may open up more unconstested opportunities. So Rip gets the shot off right off the screen. Reggie has (had the patented floater... diferent styles complimenting a similar skill.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    pretty much sums up the way I felt about Joe Dumars six years ago. I'd spent my whole life as a Pistons fan watching him start at SG, It felt REALLY awkward in his last season, because it was hard to fathom Joe Dumars NOT being part of the team. Watching him walk off the court in that last game was pretty painful. However, i started to get over it, because I'll always have the memories of a short, slow, stocky SG that couldn't jump over a phone book, yet managed somehow to start for the same club for 15 years, and shut down players that were bigger, faster, and MUCH more athletic than he was. Thats how I'll always remember Joe Dumars, no matter how successful he is off the court.

Guys that become mainstays with your team for nearly two decades don't ever go away, wether they're retired or not.
    Kind of funny how it's intertwined between these guys. Reggie took so much from playing against Dumars (2nd only to, if not more than MJ) and years later, Rip takes from Reggies game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    I was a Pacers fan before Reggie Miller, I will be a Pacers fan after Reggie Miller retires.

Out of all of the seasons he's played for the team I can only think of about 2 years where he was my favorite Pacer. In truth during the 90's he ranked probably no higher than 3 on my fav. list.

I couldn't stand his trash talking when he was young. I wanted to kill him when he bowed in Chicago & then Kukoc hit the game winner. I could never stand the fact that the man shot to many damn three's. I will always believe he could have scored 5-8 more ppg if he would have taken the mid-range game that he ruled at. I couldn't stand the way he baited the refs., nobody in the history of the NBA has more "T's" after getting the benefit of a call. Early on I could not stand the way he played defense. I will always beleive that Reggie could have been more. He was every bit as good as Alex English was & if he would have dedicated to the mid-range game more he would have been even better.

At the end of the day that is where I was always at with Reggie, I wanted more from him because I thought he was capable of giving it.

But for all of his faults, for all of my complaints I will say this. I have never been prouder of a Pacer.

There has never been a player more identified with this franchise than Reggie & there has rarely been a better spokesperson for the community & for our team.

I often underestimate how popular Reggie really is. I've been so used to him for so long that I have often taken him for granted. But even right here in our own forum all you have to do is look for the young kids who weren't even born when Reggie came here & see their fanatical loyalty to him to understand this isn't an ordinary player. Even J.O. just got a dose of this at his press conferance for the charity thing when that little 5 year old though he was Reggie.

To this day you can go to a game & we could win or lose by 20 & Reggie could be 0-10 from the field but if he pulls up & hits a three it's like everybody in the fieldhouse just won the lottery.

So I'm going to take this vow. Since it is really over & there is nothing higher to aspire to for Reggie I will say this.

From this day forward I will not say anything critical of Reggie Miller. I will just be a fan & try & enjoy what days we have left together. If the team wants to start him & let him play 40 min. a game that's fine with me. If I thought we had a chance to see him win it all then I would feel differantly, but since we don't have that chance I just want Reggie to do what Reggie wants to do.

Now on a personnal note I really wish there was some way to bring Dale home right now. I wanted Dale & Reggie to out together.

So from this day forward it's nothing but R.A.S. for me.
    Will you change your mind if Ronnie is let back and we're able to contend for the title again?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not to sound like a homer, but Reg could have been even better. His step-in off the fake and those crazy floater-esque shots he hits with consistency.

hmmmmmmmmm,

shoulda done it 4 years ago though.

s.i.g.h.

Have you ever noticed whenever people retire that they always "could've been better." I do the same thing myself, but it never ceases to amaze me how common it is. Smits could've been better, McKey could've been better, and now Mr. Pacer himself could've been better.

There isn't a single player that has played the game, including Michael Jordan, that could've been better. But, at some point, maybe what we see is as good as those players could be in the system they were in. Lord knows that Reggie has played for lots of coaches, and since he isn't a "Popeye speech guy," I think it is safe to say he played the way coaches wanted him to play.

I think the only thing that will forever bother me about Reg is that he was by and large a streak shooter. When he was on, he could hit it from anywhere. From the layup line to the three point line he had a variety of shots. The pick and roll three, pull up three, floater, and the occassional but rare slam.

But there were times he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Not only parts of games, but there were entire games he would disappear. As great as he was in the playoffs, some of his most unfortunate performances were there. And since most of our early teams were so reliant on his offense, we would die by the sword as we had lived by it. And I guess that is where most of us would have liked to see him drive and take advantage of his FT %.

Reggie was always Batman, but rarely did he have a Robin. By the time Jermaine got here... Jermaine was Batman and Reggie was becoming a role player. (Sigh) Timing is everything in life including basketball.

However, I think it is a pretty tough call to complain about his offensive game. A few years ago I was told he was the most efficient scorer per shot in the history of the game. Fans think players shoot too much or too little... rarely does anybody achieve that perfect equilibrium we look for. There were years with Jax, Reg, Smits etc. that we would play "the beautiful game" on offense.

Wow... it probably won't fully take effect until next year.

About Reg's mid-range game. His mid-range game was a 3 pointer when the line was moved in. That really changed the game a bunch when even George McCloud could hit 40% of his 3-pointers.

When the line was moved back out, he did get caught up in the 3 point shot a lot more. I still think even today that teams keep a man on him most of the game to make sure he doesn't get that wide open shot. He could be a decoy until he is 50.

Quote Originally Posted by tseramid
    About Reg's mid-range game. His mid-range game was a 3 pointer when the line was moved in. That really changed the game a bunch when even George McCloud could hit 40% of his 3-pointers.

When the line was moved back out, he did get caught up in the 3 point shot a lot more. I still think even today that teams keep a man on him most of the game to make sure he doesn't get that wide open shot. He could be a decoy until he is 50.
    Take a look at Magicrats photo's. You will see that Reggie is all alone in the corner. Take a look at almost any Magicrat photo from this or the previous season & you will see that team do not cling to Reggie. Do they at the end of the game? Sure, but not all game long. They pack the lane in on us.

Now to the question about Reggie & the mid-range game.

I almost have to apologize for being a homer on this one but IMO, it wouldn't even have been close. Reggie was a master around the basket from anwhere from about 10-15'. Only Alex English or Eddie Johnson were better that I ever saw from that range. That's what has always made me that much sadder is that IMO Reggie could have scored more points in his career than he did. A lot more IMO.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

In the end, I'm sure Reggie wouldn't have minded scoring 10,000 less points in order to win 1 championship.

My point on both issues were that when they collapsed the three point line in, it also collapsed the defense as well. The mid-range game of nearly everyone vanished because the spacing was much more difficult than it was prior to the line. The people who were able to keep the mid-range game were those who were able to create extra space for themselves. Reggie came into the league with a nice floater, which promptly vanished midway through his career. Maybe it is coincidence...i am willing to concede that.

I'll look for the defensive presence on him again, but it seems like when the ball is coming from him to the post, his man never leaves him. The double down comes from the PG or the SF's man. I remember a quote earlier this year from a coach that said that they plopped a man on Reggie to make sure he didn't get the open shot. I interpreted this as, if the ball is on the far side, he was allowed to roam, but the coach figured that Reggie cannot create his own shot as he used to, so simply closing him off when he gets the ball should be good enough defense to stop Reggie.

Right now the Offense is so spread out with JO in the post, other teams can literally pick who they want to double down with because they know JO is probably not going to swing it out quickly.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Since Dale's coming back, let's pry Mark Jackson away from ESPN.
    And we can get Rik to come out of retirement and have Derek McKey come out of the Conseco studio. We could go from being one of the youngest teams in the league to the one that needs canes and portable oxygen to get up and down the court.

Hey Hicks--I was going to do something really cute with the old guy smilie but it comes up like this ld:

Going by percentages, Reggie's better than Rip RIGHT NOW. He's shooting over 50% from inside the line. He's almost automatic on that floater or the step-in two.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    In the end, I'm sure Reggie wouldn't have minded scoring 10,000 less points in order to win 1 championship.
    Yes you are so correct, he would give away everything just for a ring. That is what he wants and it breaks my heart so a Human like Reggie not geting a ring and somebody like Ben "The Darth Vader" Wallace gets it. Its just so sad

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Hey Hicks--I was going to do something really cute with the old guy smilie but it comes up like this ld:
    This fixes it: Was "old" now it's "geezer"