Thread: Falcons WR Roddy White tries to get out of March Madness season tickets bet

Default Falcons WR Roddy White tries to get out of March Madness season tickets bet

What a tool nobody made him tweet this. Celebs and social media do not make a good combo

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-bet/#comments

Roddy White tries to get out of March Madness season-ticket bet

Falcons receiver Roddy White plans only to partially pay off a March Madness bet he made with a fan on Twitter.

After White tweeted that he thought Duke would win the NCAA Championship, he heard from a fan on Twitter named Dylan Hoyt who said that Mercer (located 90 miles south of Atlanta) would beat Duke in the first round. White told Hoyt that wasn’t happening, and White said he was so confident that he’d buy Hoyt season tickets if it really happened.

But Mercer did beat Duke, and White began to reconsider the “bet” he had made. White instead said he would buy Hoyt tickets to one game, against the Bears, saying that Hoyt is a Bears fan.

There are two problems with that: First, it’s not what White promised. He said he’d buy Hoyt season tickets, not tickets to the Bears game. Secondly, Hoyt is an Atlanta Falcons fan, not a Chicago Bears fan. (White didn’t seem to realize that when Hoyt was tweeting “Go Bears,” he was referring to the Mercer Bears, the team that upset Duke to get this whole thing started, and not the Chicago Bears.)

White heard it from fans on Twitter who said he should pay what he originally promised to pay, but he called that “crazy.”

White is right that Hoyt had nothing riding on the bet, but so what? White said he would give the fan season tickets, and he should give the fan season tickets. White has made tens of millions of dollars in his NFL career, so it’s not like he can’t afford it. White should do the right thing. And next time, he should watch what he tweets.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Falcons WR Roddy White tries to get out of March Madness season tickets bet

At least Roddy White didn't send the guy a picture of his d***. They need to make all athletes take social media classes. So many times they make themselves look stupid lol.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Falcons WR Roddy White tries to get out of March Madness season tickets bet

Don't be a ***** Roddy White. You have a 6 year/$42 mil deal, season tickets are a drop in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least Roddy White didn't send the guy a picture of his d***. They need to make all athletes take social media classes. So many times they make themselves look stupid lol.
    Well he has that going for him personally I think celebs shouldn't be on Twitter I mean there are many who aren't or have an official Tweeter so they don't post anything stupid themselves.

Twitter is a great tool for celebrities, if they know how to use it properly. And I'd say for the majority of them, its been successful for them. But then you get things like this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What a damn tool. Any ounce of respect I had for him is definitely gone. Your a ****ing millionaire and your trying to back out of a bet with a fan worth what amounts to pennies for you. Piece of ****.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that when he learns the guy is a Falcons fan and not a Bears fan that he then follows thru with season tix. I can only partly understand him not wanting to buy a Chicago Bears fan season tix to the Falcons. OTOH, he still shouldn't have said it if he didn't mean to follow thru. It's just good PR to follow thru. I can understand not wanting to pizz away money but that ship had all but sailed when he made the comment. And it's not like season tix are even going to make a dent in his bankroll.

Reading the story posted I can understand how White thought the guy was talking about the NFL Bears and not the Mercer Bears. I could see him thinking he'd be wasting Atlanta tix on a Chicago Bears fan. So from that POV I cut him a tiny bit of slack if he then ultimately comes thru learning the guy is a Falcons fan.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You can probably get 2 season tickets for 1000$, which is manageable for White. The bad PR he will take for not buying the guy a season ticket is worse than ponying up the money and just buying the tickets.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

If the guy is indeed a Falcons fan this is pretty sad on White's part. Buying season tickets for him is a drop in the bucket. The PR hit he is going to take with his own fans is worth buying the guy his season tickets.

If he is a Bears fan getting him tickets to the Bears game is enough.

Roddy White following through on bet

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ta-falcons-fan

Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White is paying up for the Twitter bet he lost.

White, who told fan Dylan Hoyt he would give him season tickets on the 50-yard line if 14th-seeded Mercer beat third-seeded Duke in the NCAA basketball tournament, ended up following through with his promise days after Mercer upset Duke, 78-71. A team official confirmed White would present Hoyt with two seasons tickets and two Super Bowl tickets.

Hoyt also will receive pregame sideline passes to any one game and will be a guest of White's at training camp, where he'll sit in the VIP section and talk to players after practice.

White didn't want to make a big deal about the story, but it took on a life of its own after the receiver was attacked on Twitter for not following through on the bet. The team mentioned how White was willing to follow through because Hoyt was such a class act about the whole matter.

"I'm a man of integrity and definitely a man of my word, and the kid is a great kid," White told ESPN.com. "We have talked about it for days while people were just speculating. And being a father, you have to be responsible for your actions. I have always been a 'say what you do and do what you say' type of guy. And I wanted to add some incentives because he was so cool."
    Last edited by vapacersfan; 03-27-2014 at 06:42 PM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

How much do Mercer Bears season tickets cost?
    Last edited by hoopsforlife; 03-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-madness-bet/

Roddy White pays up on March Madness bet

After initially backing out of a promise to buy season tickets for a fan over a March Madness bet, Falcons receiver Roddy White has been shamed into paying up.

White brought 20-year-old Dylan Hoyt to training camp this week to pay off in person on his vow to give Hoyt season tickets if Mercer beat Duke in the NCAA Tournament. When that upset happened, White initially said he had no intention of paying up, but he has since thought better of it.

“Never bet anything unless you’re willing to pay up,” White told the Atlanta Journal-Consitution.

In fact, White went further than just giving Hoyt season tickets. White is also hooking Hoyt up with two Super Bowl tickets and sideline passes to a Falcons game, in addition to the training camp visit.

For his part, Hoyt says he didn’t think White had to do any of it. Hoyt says that although he’s a Mercer fan, he wasn’t really expecting his team to beat Duke, and he also didn’t think White was serious when he engaged in some good-natured Twitter trash talk before the game.

“Honestly, I didn’t think Mercer was gonna win,” Hoyt said. “I just thought, why be that fan who just wants to get free stuff? I didn’t want to be that guy. I was cool with nothing. Next thing you know everybody [on Twitter] just jumped on his case.

Those people jumping on White’s case got him to do the right thing — and then some.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Good for him for making it right - but the crap about being man of his word was bull. You weren't going to do squat if people didn't get on your case.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    How much do Mercer Bears season tickets cost?
    probably a "show your student ID" deal I imagine. well, last year anyway.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    probably a "show your student ID" deal I imagine. well, last year anyway.
    We got Purdue SPORTS season tickets for like $300-400.