Thread: Calling Larry Bird...we need you!

Default Calling Larry Bird...we need you!

Larry Legend has built this team...he studies every play of every game. He watches other teams and players. He knows how to win it all. It's time for him to help Frank Vogel, our young, somewhat inexperienced coach, in his first coaching crisis. Marquee players are used to the spotlight, they thrive on it. Lesser known players suddenly thrust into the limelight don't know how to handle the glare, the praise, the media attention. Most of our players are better than average, but when tied together as a single unit they are among the best starting five in the league. But all this sudden praise has made us individuals again, reading our press clippings and thinking we're on a level with Lebron and Durant. If we can't get tied back together into a single cohesive unit in the next two weeks, it's quite possible we won't make it out of the first round of games. Larry, here's the ball, please take it and save our season.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NashvilleKat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Calling Larry Bird...we need you!

I am sure Larry and Frank talk basketball all the time. I am sure if there was something Larry felt he could be doing to help the team he would currently be doing it.

No, Larry is not the coach, and if he does anything right now to undermine Frank at all in the slightest, this whole thing could fall apart. He needs to back Frank 100% in every way possible.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I'm the biggest Bird apologist there is. I want no one else running this team and as a sports fan, i love him more than anyone. However, has any one else noticed that we started slumping when he came out to the media and talked about how turnovers were going to kill us. Maybe he shouldn't be so open to the media on how he would coach the team. Maybe he shouldn't be there at every practice. I know that turnover's seemed to be a bigger problem at the beginning of the year yet we were more dominant.

Sports Logo

He probably wasn't sitting in the dark, watching how the team falls apart, then he steps up in some heroic way, takes over and gets them rings... I'm sure he has already gotten involved, but it's not like Larry's on court... Nothing he could do
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Unless Bird can convince Carlisle to quit and resurrect Dick Harter he doesn't have much of value to offer Frank.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No, Larry is not the coach, and if he does anything right now to undermine Frank at all in the slightest, this whole thing could fall apart. He needs to back Frank 100% in every way possible.
    Exactly! If Larry has to step in to make a difference, then it means that Vogal has lost the team. Just like Carlisle did. And once that happens, bye-bye coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Exactly. If Larry comes out to the players/media and undermines Frank and what he is wanting to do you might as well kiss the season goodbye. Having your GM come to save the day just undermines the authority and control that your coach has. If you think the players are tuning him out now. Just wait until you have the GM coming down saying to do this and that to save the day and your coach is pushed to the side.'

Larry needs to back Vogel 100% and show that Vogel is in charge 100% and they better listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
    Larry Legend has built this team...he studies every play of every game. He watches other teams and players. He knows how to win it all. It's time for him to help Frank Vogel, our young, somewhat inexperienced coach, in his first coaching crisis. Marquee players are used to the spotlight, they thrive on it. Lesser known players suddenly thrust into the limelight don't know how to handle the glare, the praise, the media attention. Most of our players are better than average, but when tied together as a single unit they are among the best starting five in the league. But all this sudden praise has made us individuals again, reading our press clippings and thinking we're on a level with Lebron and Durant. If we can't get tied back together into a single cohesive unit in the next two weeks, it's quite possible we won't make it out of the first round of games. Larry, here's the ball, please take it and save our season.
    I posted this exact same thing in Shade's "slump" thread and I still think it's the main culprit for the Pacers bad play. In my view the Pacers have zero players that fall into the Superstar category including PG. In their minds, I think probably 3 or 4 different Pacers think they are there or have the potential to be there and started believing the early press hype. It's become about individual stats and individual perception over putting the team and winning first. I still don't look at the Pacers as serious contenders, but the only way the have even a slight chance is to play all out team ball and stick together. Hard to convince young, chest pumping, starry eyed players of this fact. Karma is a b****. I feel that a few of our players became too cocky and selfish at a certain point and it's come back to bite them in the a**. Here's hoping they wake up before it's too late.

I agree this is up to the team to figure out. Only way Bird really helps at this point is if he suddenly deages to 25 years old and moves into the starting lineup.