Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

He really hasn't been shooting more. He's averaged 11 shots a game for every month this year except January where he averaged 12. And that coincidentally has been his best month so far, averaging 16, 8 and almost 6 assists, while shooting 52% from the field.

He is however, down to just under 4 assists from being just over 5 earlier in the year. I think that's because of a lack of transition opportunities more than anything.

His turnovers were about 2.6 thru November & December. The last 2.5 months he's averaging 2.88, in more minutes per game.

I don't see what everyone is saying about Lance hogging the ball at all. He seems pretty consistent to me.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll say it here and now so I can have the fun of pointing back to it later this summer: Larry Bird will not fail to re-sign Lance. He will trade Hibbert—and even PG if he has to—before he lets Lance walk.

This current disruption could lead to that very thing.

I completely disagree. If lance is causing chemistry issues whether that a fair or unfair. Bird will either let him walk or do a sig and trade. No doubt in my mind

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I completely disagree. If lance is causing chemistry issues whether that a fair or unfair. Bird will either let him walk or do a sig and trade. No doubt in my mind
    It's almost like Roy and Paul are just looking for reasons to not bring the effort every game. As it stands, Lance is the only player on our roster who has brought consistent energy all season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll say it here and now so I can have the fun of pointing back to it later this summer: Larry Bird will not fail to re-sign Lance. He will trade Hibbert—and even PG if he has to—before he lets Lance walk.

This current disruption could lead to that very thing.
    Why in the hell would he trade one of two all star players, one of which will have made the all NBA twice by the time this season ends, before letting Lance walk? We have been a successful team before Lance became the player he is today. We got to within a game of the finals with those two players in a leading role and Lance being a 5th option glue guy. Barring a trade that is a complete win for us; there's no way we trade one of these guys in order to keep Lance.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    It's almost like Roy and Paul are just looking for reasons to not bring the effort every game. As it stands, Lance is the only player on our roster who has brought consistent energy all season.
    This is really true, but if Lance is becoming a bad apple...we all know what is necessary. I'm fighting to drive the Lance Stephenson bandwagon, but if he's not open to criticism and willing to adjust, it will be time to push that eject button.

With that said, here is another 7'2" Georgetown C who had no problem rebounding at a high rate while defending the rim very, very well.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...mutomdi01.html
    Source: Basketball Reference

I like Roy and everything, but it's about time to stop making excuses for his shortcomings and instead recognize them for what they are. Don't be mouthing off after putting up your first decent effort on offense in a month. It's unbecoming, quite frankly.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Knicks switch everything, but does that take away the pass? Yeah it probably does, but you can get easy mismatches
    Thats they first thing i thought when I read that quote. mismatches should be able to be exploited, but of course they aren't when your 2 wings are dribbling around going ISO for 80% of their shots.

How alarming is it that Paul George is attempting as many 3pa per game at this stage in his career as Reggie Miller did throughout his ENTIRE career?
    Not really, this is the new era of the NBA. The 3pt shot is quite valuable. Every team has higher attempts than their counter parts of 10-15 years ago.

THis I can agree with. PG takes lazy shots. Roy won't fight for position. Lance certainly brings the energy, but its not a focused effort.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Just because Lance is trying doesn't mean he should get a pass. Tons of guys off the street would try their hearts out too. Being an NBA player is about having talent, the knowledge to use that talent and the drive to put it all together.

Lance has two of those things. But his head is so thick sometimes, I seriously question if he will ever have a high enough basketball IQ to really really help a team consistently.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Not really, this is the new era of the NBA. The 3pt shot is quite valuable. Every team has higher attempts than their counter parts of 10-15 years ago.
    No, it's actually not, especially when it becomes your focus. Why? Because there is 0 consistency with the 3pt shot. The consistency is in the low post and mid range game, which are both becoming non-existent in the NBA and to the detriment to the league. And we've seen evidence of this from the first part of the year when we played inside-out, vs now with us playing outside-in.

No, it's actually not, especially when it becomes your focus. Why? Because there is 0 consistency with the 3pt shot. The consistency is in the low post and mid range game, which are both becoming non-existent in the NBA and to the detriment to the league. And we've seen evidence of this from the first part of the year when we played inside-out, vs now with us playing outside-in.
    Both are quite valuable. I am no 3pt fan, but there is a place for it. The Spurs even shot it when they were really good. Yes, they are good now but it's fake. Even MJ added it to his arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    He really hasn't been shooting more. He's averaged 11 shots a game for every month this year except January where he averaged 12. And that coincidentally has been his best month so far, averaging 16, 8 and almost 6 assists, while shooting 52% from the field.

He is however, down to just under 4 assists from being just over 5 earlier in the year. I think that's because of a lack of transition opportunities more than anything.

His turnovers were about 2.6 thru November & December. The last 2.5 months he's averaging 2.88, in more minutes per game.

I don't see what everyone is saying about Lance hogging the ball at all. He seems pretty consistent to me.
    It's easy to look at stats and make a claim. But you should look at those stats a little more in depth.

Lance had his best month during a 14 game stretch in January where he averaged 15.7, 8.3, and 5.6 on 52% shooting. During that month he attempted 173 FG, 34 3s, and 48 FT's.

In 11 games in February, Lance averaged 14, 8, and 4 on 50% shooting. He took 121 FG's, 34 of which were 3's. He also attempted 34 FT.

During the 11 games In March he's averaging 14, 7, and 3.6 on 46% shooting. He's taken 128 FGs, 46 3's (over 4 Att/game) and only 27 FTs.

I pointed out his 3pt and FT attempts to demonstrate where his shot attempts are coming from. It seems that he's scoring and rebounding about the same (14 ppg is about his ceiling right now). He also seems to be taking it to the rim and passing less, while shooting, and shooting from deep more. This has caused his efficiency to take a bit of a dip as well.

Again, stats never tell the entire story. But I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that these comments are coming from Roy following a stretch where Lance began channeling his inner 3pt shooter, as opposed to taking it to the rim and sharing the ball with teammates.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    We have been a successful team before Lance became the player he is today. We got to within a game of the finals with those two players in a leading role and Lance being a 5th option glue guy.
    Glad to see I am not the only person who remembers last season.

The play of this team started to go down when Paul George and Lance Stephenson started to play more selfish. Lance went from most an opportunistic scorer, to a dribbler. Paul went from playing humbly, to an undeserving entitled player.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 03-20-2014 at 10:33 PM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

The play of this team started to go down when Paul George and Lance Stephenson started to play more selfish. Lance went from most an opportunistic scorer, to a dribbler. Paul went from playing humbly, to an undeserving entitled player.
    Lance leads the team in rebounds, FG% and assists. Without him, the starting unit isn't as good as last year. Hill, Roy and DWest are not better. Paul is better, but Evan Turner isn't as good as last year's version of Lance simply because of defense.

Never forget this. With Lance, we have the talent to advance.

All teams, even great ones, go through bad spells. Vogel has always shown he has the ability to right the ship. This team will come out of it's funk. (And some funk..still #1 in the East...)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    All teams, even great ones, go through bad spells. Vogel has always shown he has the ability to right the ship. This team will come out of it's funk. (And some funk..still #1 in the East...)
    "We've been bad, but it doesn't matter because we have a record that is on pace to be the lowest amount of wins for a one seed in a long time."
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post
    But how many of those point guards exist now? Seems like before he PG was the dominant position on getting everyone to play the right way, but now there seems to be a handful that do that and that may still be slim.
    True. Not many of those around. We definitely don't have a player who huddles everyone together and says "listen, this is how it's going to be".

23. The Following User Says Thank You to greyhound80 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

That's exactly right and our coach has allowed this to happen. It put way too much trust into those two.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyhound80 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Lance leads the team in rebounds, FG% and assists. Without him, the starting unit isn't as good as last year. Hill, Roy and DWest are not better. Paul is better, but Evan Turner isn't as good as last year's version of Lance simply because of defense.

Never forget this. With Lance, we have the talent to advance.

I'll agree with a lot that you've posted but I don't agree on how good Lance is. It's hard to compare how good someone is when they play different positions but I'd say Paul, Roy, and West are all better then Lance. Lance has a lot of talent but of all 4 players Lance means less to the win column the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    It's easy to look at stats and make a claim. But you should look at those stats a little more in depth.

Lance had his best month during a 14 game stretch in January where he averaged 15.7, 8.3, and 5.6 on 52% shooting. During that month he attempted 173 FG, 34 3s, and 48 FT's.

In 11 games in February, Lance averaged 14, 8, and 4 on 50% shooting. He took 121 FG's, 34 of which were 3's. He also attempted 34 FT.

During the 11 games In March he's averaging 14, 7, and 3.6 on 46% shooting. He's taken 128 FGs, 46 3's (over 4 Att/game) and only 27 FTs.

I pointed out his 3pt and FT attempts to demonstrate where his shot attempts are coming from. It seems that he's scoring and rebounding about the same (14 ppg is about his ceiling right now). He also seems to be taking it to the rim and passing less, while shooting, and shooting from deep more. This has caused his efficiency to take a bit of a dip as well.

Again, stats never tell the entire story. But I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that these comments are coming from Roy following a stretch where Lance began channeling his inner 3pt shooter, as opposed to taking it to the rim and sharing the ball with teammates.
    I don't disagree over the last 11 games he hasn't played his best basketball. All I'm saying is that he hasn't been a ball hog.

Regardless those numbers are not alarmingly inconsistent at all, yes he's taken more threes and 7 less free throws but that's nothing to be overly concerned about. A lot of that is because our offense has become stagnant.

But how can you compare those numbers to Paul's and not see the difference?

If any other teams best player had been shooting 40% for 2.5 months, almost half a season, they wouldn't blame the 2nd best player for taking 1 more 3 a game. They would blame the best player who takes the most shots.

People are ignoring Paul's struggles and calling it a slump and passing the buck to Lance, and it's unfair. This "slump" is over 30 games long now.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 03-20-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Lol to all of us, myself included, that thought PG was better than Carmello and Harden.
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Lol to all of us, myself included, that thought PG was better than Carmello and Harden.
    He is.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

He is.
    He has a higher ceiling. But no, as a whole this year he is not better than Carmelo.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is.
    While I agree, his defense alone makes him more valuable, but if he settles into this role as a chucker it won't matter either way as they will all be on the same tier.

Its frustrating.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan View Post
    "I usually don't run the court like that but I said, if I have to be the first big guy down the court to get the ball, I'll start (running) to try and change it," Hibbert said. "Usually I'm not a sprinting type but tonight, I tried to do it."

So basically Roy said that he doesn't usually hustle but since they were losing he decided to try that to spur the team? That speaks volumes imho. Hibbert has been a huge part of the problem lately, as has Lance and PG. Lance and PG try to do it themselves but they have had to at times because Hibbert is getting shoved out of the paint. Last night in the 2nd half Roy decided to put forth some effort and it got the team back in the game. The 1st half? Chandler was killing Hibbert, out rebounding him, keeping out of the paint.
    Yeah, that's more or less what he said. And it makes absolute sense. Roy cannot go all out on both ends of the floor in the RS. The strain is too much for his huge body and it can lead to injuries. That's why Roy has been told to give it his all in the defensive end, contesting shots and let the rest of the team handle everything else (from rebounding the ball when he's boxing out to scoring). Roy shouldn't do it all himself. No players should do it all himself. Everyone should do its share and Roy's share in the RS is to defend the rim.

The playoffs are a different story, though. Roy will go all out in the playoffs on both ends. We saw that last year and we will see it again this year.

Roy really shouldn't be the first one to run down the floor in order to touch the ball. Our guards could always set him up if they wanted to. They just prefer to take the shots themselves.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Maybe Lance would throw Hibbert the ball more if Roy could catch. Guy has stone hands
    I love Lance but the truth is that he is more inclined to pass the ball to Ian than he is to Roy. And we all know that Roy's hands are a lot better than Ian's. For whatever reason Lance does not have a good chemistry with Roy.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Lance needs to be our primary ball handler. Lance needs to run the offense. When he does, our offense does well. (Sure, he makes a mistake now and then, but the over is better than the under.) When Hill runs the offense, nothing happens. When PG runs it, it's either a nice shot, a bad percentage shot, or a turnover (more of the the last two than the first).

If the players had more practice with Lance running the offense, they wouldn't be so unfamiliar with what's going to happen. (For instance, when Roy get's the ball from Lance in his hands, he would learn to squeeze--just kidding, couldn't resist.)

This is a problem that will go from bad to worse unless Vogel steps in and does the obvious in terms of what's best for the offense. I have a feeling I know Bird's opinion.

Another twist: If Lance isn't allowed to run the offense—the obvious best choice for this team—I don't see him wanting to come back next year. Some of you might like that idea, but it would be a disaster for the Pacers, imo.
    McKey, you know that I was with you from the start when it came to Lance having the ball in his hands. You know that I'm in the "give Lance as much money as he wants" camp as well.

But I have an honest question.

Do you really think that Lance is playing like he wants to be a part of this team? Ever since he didn't get the All-Star nod his attitude seems a bit weird.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post: