Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 309

Thread: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

  1. #151
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,022

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    +1 I'm getting in on this

    PG would be off limits to Bird IMO, but I agree with the rest. He'd ship out Roy if he has to choose between em.
    Wow this is getting ridiculous. Bird isn't an idiot, and you would have to be an idiot to chose Lance over Hibbert.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  3. #152

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Everyone of the player's deserve some blame, some more than others, but shouldn't the coach be getting more heat than he is for the way we're playing right now on offense? I mean, there's a quote in the article from George saying we basically didn't know what to do after they switched everything. Isn't that on the coach?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  5. #153

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow this is getting ridiculous. Bird isn't an idiot, and you would have to be an idiot to chose Lance over Hibbert.
    We shall see. Hopefully it doesnt come to that

  6. #154

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone of the player's deserve some blame, some more than others, but shouldn't the coach be getting more heat than he is for the way we're playing right now on offense? I mean, there's a quote in the article from George saying we basically didn't know what to do after they switched everything. Isn't that on the coach?
    Depends on if the coach addressed the problem in shoot around. Remembering and acting on what the coach said is on the players.

    JMO, but one of the problems the Pacers have is the youth and, therefore, the inexperience of Lance and Paul. They have a tendency to catch and look for what to do next instead of knowing what to do before the catch. Not always, but sometimes. At some point, they will get better at it, but it's going to take time. The learning curve is the learning curve.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  8. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,920

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone of the player's deserve some blame, some more than others, but shouldn't the coach be getting more heat than he is for the way we're playing right now on offense? I mean, there's a quote in the article from George saying we basically didn't know what to do after they switched everything. Isn't that on the coach?
    This I agree with. Vogel knows the recipe for success but isn't coaching that way. When this team plays from the inside out it's the best team in the NBA. He seems more like an observer watching the players do what they want then a coach giving direction. At the end of the season if the team comes back together and plays like they're capable then Vogel is the man. If he can't get our wing players to start defending again and get the ball into the paint more then we'll be bounced in the second round and it's time to find a coach that can get through to these guys. From what I've seen in the past 2 months, I question if Vogel is the right coach for Lance.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  10. #156
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    We have focused on what Roy said, but how about what Lance said?

    The Knicks were forcing you to play one-on-one? They took away the pass? They're awful on defense and will break down after two or three passes.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  12. #157
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    I'm not a real big fan of brutual honesty in the press, but sometimes it needs to happen.

    But there's a clear picture of the situation IMHO. Roy described Lance to a tee. West went the PC way of saying it. Paul just said they need to be smarter, which I would have preferred an "I" statement somewhere in there.

    And then there's Lance. They forced me to play one-on-one. I wonder if Roy's comments were before or after that. Probably would explain the harshness.

    And I'm of the thought Bird was talking about Lance, when he talked about Frank should be thinking aboit changing tactics to prove your point.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-20-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  14. #158

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends on if the coach addressed the problem in shoot around. Remembering and acting on what the coach said is on the players.

    JMO, but one of the problems the Pacers have is the youth and, therefore, the inexperience of Lance and Paul. They have a tendency to catch and look for what to do next instead of knowing what to do before the catch. Not always, but sometimes. At some point, they will get better at it, but it's going to take time. The learning curve is the learning curve.

    If they're not following directions shouldn't they be pulled then? I know his thing is positivity, but he's dealing with people and people respond differently to coaching. If certain player's are tuning him out he should try punishing them instead of letting them run the asylum if that's what's even happening. It's all speculation at this point.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is if he can't get this group of really good ball players to play together and play an above average brand of offense then there needs to be a change. Wether that's a coaching change or personnel change I don't know, but this offense is unacceptable.

    I'm hoping this is just a bump in the road, but it's certainly worrisome.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  16. #159
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,360

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they're not following directions shouldn't they be pulled then? I know his thing is positivity, but he's dealing with people and people respond differently to coaching. If certain player's are tuning him out he should try punishing them instead of letting them run the asylum if that's what's even happening. It's all speculation at this point.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is if he can't get this group of really good ball players to play together and play an above average brand of offense then there needs to be a change. Wether that's a coaching change or personnel change I don't know, but this offense is unacceptable.

    I'm hoping this is just a bump in the road, but it's certainly worrisome.
    If Vogel yanked Lance every time he didn't listen this board would be unreadable with the amount of "Vogel should be fired for the way he's mishandling Lance he's gonna run him out of town and it's gonna cost us a title" posts.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:


  18. #160
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Roy just need to zip it in the press and take it up with his teammates. Didn't see West revealing who should have the green light and who needs to reign it in. Win as a team, lose as a team. I guess we know why they haven't been playing together now.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  19. #161
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    You can't come out and say I respect Paul George so he's got a green light. Who are you? The coach of the team? Not to mention Paul's played like crap a lot recently, but, hey, he doesn't need to think about his approach or how he could play better within the team.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  21. #162
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,436
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't come out and say I respect Paul George so he's got a green light. Who are you? The coach of the team? Not to mention Paul's played like crap a lot recently, but, hey, he doesn't need to think about his approach or how he could play better within the team.

    Yes, Paul has played like crap lately and his play has left much to be desired, but who would you rather have shooting the ball 18 times per game? My biggest issue isn't the fact Paul has the green light, it is his shot selection.

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  23. #163
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,551

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Roy said he trusted PG and West. He didn't even say they always played well. He didn't say anyone not named Hibbert, West, or PGeorge was terrible. He phrased something focusing on the positive. We and the media have taken what he didn't say and made up words to fit it. Now all our criticism is based on those words that Roy never said - including being upset that he said what he didn't say.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  25. #164
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,920

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Vogel yanked Lance every time he didn't listen this board would be unreadable with the amount of "Vogel should be fired for the way he's mishandling Lance he's gonna run him out of town and it's gonna cost us a title" posts.
    Those comments wouldn't be coming from me. I'd love to see Vogel sit Lance when he gets out of control and doesn't follow the coaches direction. I'm not sure if he's getting that direction though.

  26. #165

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Like you say, it is all speculation by us. Clearly Frank feels that coaching like JOB would be counterproductive. Getting after guys publicly by taking them out can work out or it can spark adolescent behavior, especially in young guys. Assuming that it is Lance or Paul that is messing up, who is going to replace them. Evan, the guy whose been here a couple days? Rasual, the guy that wasn't in the league last year? Solo, the guy that can't play well enough to make the active roster. There just are not a lot of choices here. Especially with CJ out. That leaves the best choice stuck at PG for 35 mpg. I don't really see any good choices here.

    Especially since both Lance and Paul have made a real effort to do their job on the team. And both have made real improvements in their games. Not saying they both don't have a long way to go, but it is easy to see the effort to be part of the team.

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they're not following directions shouldn't they be pulled then? I know his thing is positivity, but he's dealing with people and people respond differently to coaching. If certain player's are tuning him out he should try punishing them instead of letting them run the asylum if that's what's even happening. It's all speculation at this point.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is if he can't get this group of really good ball players to play together and play an above average brand of offense then there needs to be a change. Wether that's a coaching change or personnel change I don't know, but this offense is unacceptable.

    I'm hoping this is just a bump in the road, but it's certainly worrisome.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  28. #166
    Member Taterhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,288

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll say he's doing an awful lot of passing to people at the last second, for one thing.

    The thing that really makes me wonder is that everyone on the team and the coaching staff seems to be concerned about Lance's play except Lance. That either means:

    1) Lance has some issues, or
    2) Lance is so misunderstood that 16 other people want to unfairly blame him for everything.

    We tend to see that Lance makes a big flashy play, but when he throws a 100 mph pass to a guy who wasn't looking for it because he was moving, if the pass hits hands the TO isn't given to Lance - yet that's the very definition of not being in synch with the rest of the team. Ian has stone hands, but does everyone?

    Lance is a great individual player, but I don't think he pays much attention to what anyone else on the floor is doing unless he can do something right away.
    I don't think anyone would argue with what you are saying. Lance definitely makes the game much harder than he should. But he's our youngest player, and he'll get better. I just don't think he's the cause of our problems recently.

    My point is, he has always done that, all year long. He was doing it when we were crushing everyone too. And there is no reason to think it's causing us problems winning games, or creating locker room drama.

    On the other hand you have PG, who came out of the gate looking like the next big thing playing great defense and offense, and over the last 2 and a half months, he has regressed to being an inefficient chucker who plays just good defense at times.

    Lance on the other hand, has been surprisingly steady for such a young player. And I think it's a BIG mistake to try and reel him in and turn him into just another guy in the offense and someone afraid to make a mistake.

    What you see with Lance on offense, describes PG on defense perfectly the last few months. He gambles too much. He always goes for the steal. He doesn't just play fundamentally sound ball.

    And that is our identity. We've always struggled on offense, but defensively is where we are special. That has hurt us big time. PG is the key to that potential, IMO. Roy is gonna be Roy, but we need PG to form that dynamic duo again.

    This is the problem with having a young team depend so much on two extremely young talented players.

    I see PG as being the guy that is causing the slump more than anyone. He has bought into his own hype and it shows in his game. He isn't moving the ball, he isn't locking down on defense, and he's settling for too many jumpers and shooting a horrible percentage.

    And as a team, we aren't getting out in transition at all, we aren't going inside enough and we are allowing too much penetration on defense.

    All of it is fixable. As long as the guys believe that and forget about pointing fingers at each other.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:


  30. #167
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have focused on what Roy said, but how about what Lance said?

    The Knicks were forcing you to play one-on-one? They took away the pass? They're awful on defense and will break down after two or three passes.

    Knicks switch everything, but does that take away the pass? Yeah it probably does, but you can get easy mismatches

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  32. #168

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Knicks switch everything, but does that take away the pass? Yeah it probably does, but you can get easy mismatches
    Not quickly attacking mismatches is one thing that drives me crazy watching the Pacers play. It seems such an obvious play and one that the Pacers used as the primary offense in the strike year. I wish I knew if it was just slow recognition or reluctance to change the play. But it happens all the time it seems.

  33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:


  34. #169

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    All of these quotes point to the fact that this team is still young and immature. No way it can contend with these issues. We have NO TRUE POINT GUARD and it is showing right now. Your point guard, your leader, your captain makes sure plays get run CORRECTLY. They make sure people don't resort to chucking jumper after jumper. They make sure to keep the big guys happy. We don't have that by a damn sight.

  35. #170
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Man, tomorrow's game against Chicago is so big. Things could get pretty ugly if we lose at home with a bunch of their lowlife scumbag fans in attendance. OTOH, it will be a VERY NICE feeling if we pull it out. Big big game.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  37. #171

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    How alarming is it that Paul George is attempting as many 3pa per game at this stage in his career as Reggie Miller did throughout his ENTIRE career?

  38. #172
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,171

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Roy is clearly talking about Lance. Lance has been shooting more, dishing less and turning it over more.

    At the same time, Roy has been terrible for months on offense and has no room to talk. Yes, he can protect the rim but he's not rebounding well. Lance leads the team in assists, FG% and rebounds. Yes, more rebounds than our 7'2" center. Oh, I know his role is to protect the rim and let the guards clean up. Whateva...smh.

    Also, while Paul might have Roy's confidence I think Paul is not only the bigger ball hog, he has more turnovers, less assists and less rebounds than Lance. He's better than Lance, but without Lance handing out assists this team's offense is really another level of bad.

  39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  40. #173
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,834

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    All of it is fixable. As long as the guys believe that and forget about pointing fingers at each other.
    This is my point. And pointing fingers publicly only makes it that much worse. Stop with the petty crap. Win as a team, lose as a team. Resolve issues in the locker room.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  42. #174
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All of these quotes point to the fact that this team is still young and immature. No way it can contend with these issues. We have NO TRUE POINT GUARD and it is showing right now. Your point guard, your leader, your captain makes sure plays get run CORRECTLY. They make sure people don't resort to chucking jumper after jumper. They make sure to keep the big guys happy. We don't have that by a damn sight.
    But how many of those point guards exist now? Seems like before he PG was the dominant position on getting everyone to play the right way, but now there seems to be a handful that do that and that may still be slim.

  43. #175
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,171

    Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is my point. And pointing fingers publicly only makes it that much worse. Stop with the petty crap. Win as a team, lose as a team. Resolve issues in the locker room.
    The team is showing their youth. West and Bird need to hold a summit.

  44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •