Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert calls out Lance and maybe George Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure we can call Lance selfish when he leads the team in assists
    I think that's a simplistic view, similar to thinking a guy with few assists never passes.

Lance is good at finding the guy in scoring position. When there is no one in between or when it isn't easier to just try the shot himself. He just won't give up the ball unless there is immediate reward.

That's what makes him so frustrating. If he would pass to the guy in position to change the direction of the play, rather than only choosing between "dribble", "shoot", "assist", he'd be the greatest team player ever, over and above any individual skills.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

How anyone can blame somebody other than Frank Vogel, Roy Hibbert or PG is beyond me. Paul has been shooting 40% since January 1st. And Roy has been averaging 4.5 rebounds over the last 11 games, lol. Pathetic.

There is our two all stars.

Coincidentally, we've been struggling since about the time PG started shooting 40%.

Btw Lance is taking the same amount of shots he was early in the year, his role hasn't changed at all.

I think Roy was referring to the trade, but either way he needs to shut up.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 03-20-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It's one truth amongst many truths, and it conveniently absolved himself of blame. I never said that his statements were false anyway. I just think that veiled shots should stay behind closed doors. If you're going to take veiled shots at someone, then I hope that you yourself are at least playing well. West has more cred since he has been playing his a** off for two months, but it's just hard for me to take Hibbs' quotes seriously when he's letting no named scrubs outmuscle him.
    Did he absolve himself from blame? Just because it's not quoted there, doesn't mean he didn't add in a "but I need to be playing better." Which I'm pretty sure I've seen a quote from Roy over the past few weeks with him saying that anways.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    Not sure we can call Lance selfish when he leads the team in assists
    Lance is averaging less than 3 assists over the last 6 games. His season stats are indicative of how he's played over the course of the season, not how he's playing right now.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I agree with him. Just because everyone on here is freaking out doesn't mean it's the truth or going to solve anything, lol.
    You agree with him that they're "playing pretty well"? Optimism works sometimes, but it couldn't be more disingenuous or misplaced here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Did he absolve himself from blame? Just because it's not quoted there, doesn't mean he didn't add in a "but I need to be playing better." Which I'm pretty sure I've seen a quote from Roy over the past few weeks with him saying that anways.
    Yeah, I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy 3/18/2014
    I just haven't been playing the best,” he said after scored eight points and grabbing five rebounds. “I have to do better. But we're winning and I'm happy for that. It was just good to see one of those baskets go in.”

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think that's a simplistic view, similar to thinking a guy with few assists never passes.

Lance is good at finding the guy in scoring position. When there is no one in between or when it isn't easier to just try the shot himself. He just won't give up the ball unless there is immediate reward.

That's what makes him so frustrating. If he would pass to the guy in position to change the direction of the play, rather than only choosing between "dribble", "shoot", "assist", he'd be the greatest team player ever, over and above any individual skills.
    So what is he doing with the ball? Cause he's only taking around 10 shots per game, leads the team in assists, shoots a good % and averages about 2-3 turnovers a game. He moves the ball just fine, people are just talking out of their butts.

With everything going on with the team, people are basically complaining about 1 turnover too many from 1 guy, who is easily our most consistent player. C'mon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I thought so.

Fair enough, good find. I still don't like him taking veiled shot at teammates because that's against what this team has been about over the last two years, but I'm sure everyone will get over it. Collectively, I just think that this team's ego got a little too big. Taking Miami to Game 7 last year and then starting out on a tear this season and reaping all of that national praise would obviously go to anyone's head, especially when you're young and experiencing the greatest success of your life. We all know that the talent is clearly there on this team. This thankfully isn't an issue of ability. I still think that this slump will ultimately be a good thing for them and I'll still be shocked beyond belief if we aren't in the ECF's.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Btw Lance is taking the same amount of shots he was early in the year, his role hasn't changed at all.
    8 shots isn't always equal to 8 shots.

I've already given the stats about how Lance is depending more and more on the 3pt shot. At the beginning of the year, Lance's shots were mostly set shots off of kick outs or it was him driving the length of the court and getting buckets in transition. Now it's him pounding the ball for 5-6 seconds, and jacking up a contested 2pter, or pounding the ball waiting for his man to make a wrong step and then getting to the rim.

His turnovers a problem, because he's more worried about making a highlight play than just delievering the freaking ball. That pass with 2mins to go where he turned into Jenny Finch for a hot second, is the perfect example. GHill standing wide open, and Lance can't get the ball to him because he wants to be pretty.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

8 shots isn't always equal to 8 shots.

I've already given the stats about how Lance is depending more and more on the 3pt shot. At the beginning of the year, Lance's shots were mostly set shots off of kick outs or it was him driving the length of the court and getting buckets in transition. Now it's him pounding the ball for 5-6 seconds, and jacking up a contested 2pter, or pounding the ball waiting for his man to make a wrong step and then getting to the rim.

His turnovers a problem, because he's more worried about making a highlight play than just delievering the freaking ball. That pass with 2mins to go where he turned into Jenny Finch for a hot second, is the perfect example. GHill standing wide open, and Lance can't get the ball to him because he wants to be pretty.
    I agree, but that was our first turnover in the second half. He'll get better, no doubt.

You are focusing way too much on 1 play, when the TEAM is getting out played for an entire half most nights.

Is it Lance fault we get behind double digits every night? His 3 turnovers are doing that?

I think people get too rapped up in how dynamic Lance Stephenson plays and not what he's actually producing on the court. You'd think that Lance Stephenson leads the team in turnovers, shot attempts, and usage rate the way some people talk about him here. He's been the same player from the beginning of regular season up to this point. We start losing and for some reason it makes sense to point fingers at him while our best player struggles to be efficient some games.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'll say it here and now so I can have the fun of pointing back to it later this summer: Larry Bird will not fail to re-sign Lance. He will trade Hibbert—and even PG if he has to—before he lets Lance walk.

This current disruption could lead to that very thing.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

22. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'll say it here and now so I can have the fun of pointing back to it later this summer: Larry Bird will not fail to re-sign Lance. He will trade Hibbert—and even PG if he has to—before he lets Lance walk.

There is no situation, circumstance, or power on this Earth that will get Bird to trade PG after the season. None. Zero.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    So what is he doing with the ball? Cause he's only taking around 10 shots per game, leads the team in assists, shoots a good % and averages about 2-3 turnovers a game. He moves the ball just fine, people are just talking out of their butts.

With everything going on with the team, people are basically complaining about 1 turnover too many from 1 guy, who is easily our most consistent player. C'mon.
    I'll say he's doing an awful lot of passing to people at the last second, for one thing.

The thing that really makes me wonder is that everyone on the team and the coaching staff seems to be concerned about Lance's play except Lance. That either means:

1) Lance has some issues, or
    2) Lance is so misunderstood that 16 other people want to unfairly blame him for everything.

We tend to see that Lance makes a big flashy play, but when he throws a 100 mph pass to a guy who wasn't looking for it because he was moving, if the pass hits hands the TO isn't given to Lance - yet that's the very definition of not being in synch with the rest of the team. Ian has stone hands, but does everyone?

Lance is a great individual player, but I don't think he pays much attention to what anyone else on the floor is doing unless he can do something right away.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Please clarify your post. You're saying that Bird would trade Hibbert or even PG24 before letting Lance walk. I'd say that trading Hibbert or PG24....both defensive keystones on this team...would cause a greater disruption than what we are seeing now much less simply letting Lance walk.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, but I thought it goes without saying that Roy should have kept his trap shut to the media about this. I think we all agree with that. What I am discussing is not whether Roy should have said it, I think it is much more interesting to discuss what Roy said and whether this is tearing the team apart to a certain degree or not.

I think the content of what Roy is saying is worth discussing and it is worth giving full merit.

IMO Roy has given us a very clear glimpse of what is going on with the team.
    I'd normally agree about not airing your dirty laundry but in this case I think Roy needs to say something to put some pressure on Vogel. We don't know if he's already spoken with Vogel or not, but most agree that we need to play from the inside out and while Vogel has also said this he's done nothing at all about the direction our offense has gone. Vogel has many times that we need to get the ball into the paint more and establish our inside game but it's been lip service to this point. I hope getting this out front will put prod Vogel to give some direction to our wing players to move the ball inside.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

I don't think I've could disagree more. If it ever came to choosing between PG, Hibbert or Lance then Lance wouldn't even be in Larry's thoughts other then trying to move him in a sign and trade.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Roy may not be wrong, but Roy is wrong to present this the way he has. For his entire tenure with this club everybody other than Satan has fallen all over themselves to keep Roy's ego boosted and never called him out for his often times inconsistent weak play.

This problem goes well beyond one player or one person and Roy was wrong to single out Lance. Paul got his carte blanche play on offense last night and proceeded to crap all over the floor. David West has not been stellar lately either.

Is Lance a problem? Sure, but then again so is Roy. His Shawn Bradley imitation is getting pretty stale to me and please let's not confuse the fact that he tore up Cole Aldrich be anything more than what it was. The other night vs the 76ers he somehow managed to make Henry Sims look like David Robinson.

Look there are plenty of fingers to point around to everybody here but Roy should not be insinuating in the press because some day someone might decide to ask why a 7'2" who weighs 280+ can't establish a consistent low post presence or grab rebounds. Please spare me the "Lance and Paul steal them from him" speech. I watched Thad Young move around him for an offensive rebound because Roy didn't bother to actually box out an once touched while in the air fell as though he had been struck by Mjolner and laid on the ground. This happens often btw.

Look I'm not placing the blame at Roy's feet, I'm just very disappointed in how he chose to reveal his issues.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Look I'm not placing the blame at Roy's feet, I'm just very disappointed in how he chose to reveal his issues.
    I understand, but when you look at what he ACTUALLY said, he really didn't name names except to give Paul a pass. The media and fans are doing all the speculating and discussing.

There's only so long a player like Roy can get away with saying "it's me, it's me" or "it's the whole team". I'm pretty sure the interviewers probably pushed him for more details and this is as close as he was willing to get to naming names.

To me, I appreciate knowing what players and coaches are really feeling. I hate vague references that cause fifteen different interpretations of what was actually said. Given that Roy DID change how he was playing to make it easier for him to get the ball, I feel some justification that he had some right to point out that others didn't adjust as much.

Just imagine if this had been Antonio Davis
    BillS

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    No he's not. He just takes too much threes Imo. And bad shots. I'm sure he takes more threes a game than reggae did.
    And I think he does this because he's trying to rest... He did the same thing last season... Albeit much later in the year... He was jacking threes like crazy til the end of the season and then in game 1 of the Playoffs he began attacking much more...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I understand, but when you look at what he ACTUALLY said, he really didn't name names except to give Paul a pass. The media and fans are doing all the speculating and discussing.

There's only so long a player like Roy can get away with saying "it's me, it's me" or "it's the whole team". I'm pretty sure the interviewers probably pushed him for more details and this is as close as he was willing to get to naming names.

To me, I appreciate knowing what players and coaches are really feeling. I hate vague references that cause fifteen different interpretations of what was actually said. Given that Roy DID change how he was playing to make it easier for him to get the ball, I feel some justification that he had some right to point out that others didn't adjust as much.

Just imagine if this had been Antonio Davis
    As long as he is just as understanding in the future if someone else decides to call him out for his missed bunnies or dropped passes. I'm just saying the problem is that there are a myriad of issues and he is one of them as much as anyone else.

I actually listened to Montieth after the Philly game on the way home and he said then that Roy was disgruntled about his lack of touches, which is fine I also would prefer we go back to a more inside out game. But I just know that people have gone out of their way to make sure Roy's confidence is never shaken and here we are in some trouble and he seems to be passing out sacks of stone instead of life jackets.

But that's just my take on it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

As long as he is just as understanding in the future if someone else decides to call him out for his missed bunnies or dropped passes. I'm just saying the problem is that there are a myriad of issues and he is one of them as much as anyone else.

I actually listened to Montieth after the Philly game on the way home and he said then that Roy was disgruntled about his lack of touches, which is fine I also would prefer we go back to a more inside out game. But I just know that people have gone out of their way to make sure Roy's confidence is never shaken and here we are in some trouble and he seems to be passing out sacks of stone instead of life jackets.

But that's just my take on it.
    Yeah. I get it. But maybe Roy has been giving them the kid glove treatment for a while and watching the 3-pointers continue to sail over his head. In reality, this hasn't been all about Roy for a while, but this is the first time he's said anything other than "we" or "I".
    BillS

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+1 I'm getting in on this

PG would be off limits to Bird IMO, but I agree with the rest. He'd ship out Roy if he has to choose between em.

Yeah. I get it. But maybe Roy has been giving them the kid glove treatment for a while and watching the 3-pointers continue to sail over his head. In reality, this hasn't been all about Roy for a while, but this is the first time he's said anything other than "we" or "I".
    Well let's hope for his sake that if he is given more touches that he produces. Doing this the day before you play Joakim Noah is either going to look ballsy or idiotic and probably nothing in between because Joakim is one hell of a defender.

Last Odd Thoughts: January 19 (when our record was 32-7)

Win/Loss Since: 18-11

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post: