Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what point does it become more than a "slump?"

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default At what point does it become more than a "slump?"

14 games left to figure it out before the playoffs.

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: At what point does it become more than a "slump?"

Would you rather just proclaim that the team sucks and declare the season lost?

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is this in any way, shape, or form, relevant to what Shade posted?

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

You must have missed this thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...014-edition%29

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

The reason people like me are optimistic and calling this a slump is because we don't like thinking about the alternative. The Heat are slumping just as hard as we are right now. It happens, some times for longer than others.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The reason people like me are optimistic and calling this a slump is because we don't like thinking about the alternative. The Heat are slumping just as hard as we are right now. It happens, some times for longer than others.
    the heat are two time defending champs. this team does not deserve the benefit of the doubt like the heat. the reality is we got an inflated record because we play the EC. when the pacers played 3 straight nba finals.. then the fatigue excuse has merit.

I honestly don't know what everyone is so worried about. The Knicks got lucky last night. Indy got some bad calls in the first half, Raymond Felton chucks a three and banks it in off the window. Even though Indy didn't shoot particularly well, the Knicks had to pull out every ounce of magic they had just to win that game at MSG, all the while riding the Phil Jackson "wave". IF they even make the playoffs, they're out in 5 games tops.

I said it in the game thread and I'll repeat it here.

I have lost faith in this team. I love them, but I've lost faith in them.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1) Road game
    2) NY is hot
    3) They just got Phil Jackson
    4) NY hit some circus shots.

Really not a big deal. File it, move on.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

WTF???
    Bottom third in the league of scoring in the paint!?
    With as much size as you can wish for.

That must be fixed.

Hill is no kind of passer.
    At least two or three times every game I see make-able passes to deeply posted players that just aren't thrown.

Hibbert has the confidence of a puppy.

PG has the confidence of Larry Bird... and the outside shooting of... (someone far, far inferior).

DWest is the only consistent scorer, but hey we need to feed our superstar (3 for 18 tonight maybe?) MOST of them stupid shots.

We can't pas the ball more than twice per possession without a turnover!!

We have never scored on a possession after a called time out. I think we're 0 for 346.
    HIRE A GOOD O COACH!!

Every first quarter we start out with the attitude "well I couldn't toss it in the ocean yesterday, but today i'll be money".

I barely recognize this team from the one that started the season.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Tonight I thought we could have played a lot better. That said, we played a hot team on the road. Even when we were playing "good" basketball, it took a foul on a Paul George 3 point attempt to send the game into OT for us to win against these guys earlier this year. That's also when the Knicks were playing some terrible basketball, too.

We lost 5 of 6 last year to finish the season, including ugly losses at home to OKC and Brooklyn, and road smashings at the hands of the Knicks and Wizards.

I still have complete faith in this team come playoff time.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    We lost 5 of 6 last year to finish the season, including ugly losses at home to OKC and Brooklyn, and road smashings at the hands of the Knicks and Wizards.

Exactly. I don't know how many times I have to say that we lose faith in this team every year during the regular season only for them to elevate their play when the playoffs come around. The sky isn't falling until the Pacers are eliminated from the playoffs.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

losing 5 of 6 last games of the regular season and playing like **** for over 2 months are completely different things.

I don't know if it's a slump anymore, maybe we just aren't that good?

The all-world defense is no longer there, and our offense is a train wreck. It would be one thing if guys were worn out and had tired legs, but I'm not seeing the same energy and effort for a team that preaches "Blue Collar. Gold Swagger". It's a long season, but these guys better find whatever it is soon. Time is running out.
    Last edited by PR07; 03-19-2014 at 10:00 PM.

So now we aren't title contenders? Damn man I need to take a break from this board. We slump and it's over the season is a lost cause. The heat slump and we hear "Well they won the title the past two years so they don't count!!"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Slump all they want, I know come playoff time, everyone freakin' out now will not be singing the same tune. They'll get it goin.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Slump all they want, I know come playoff time, everyone freakin' out now will not be singing the same tune. They'll get it goin.
    This proverbial switch that many speak of should "already be on"......cuz we are not only racing the Heat for the best record in the Eastern Conference...but the best record in the NBA for HCA throughout the entire NBA. We are also trying to beat out the Spurs and the Thunder.....with the Spurs on a 11 game winning streak ( and a 1.5 game lead over us ) and the Thunder only a 1/2 game back of us in the League Standings.

They were easily able to find the proverbial "switch" at the beginning of the season...but now appear to be struggling to find it in the dark. Especially with all of this "Play for HCA throughout the Playoffs" mantra.....the way that this Team has been playing since the ASB.....they are not inspiring confidence in myself ( and many others ) that they have a switch that they can simply turn on during the Playoffs.

The bottom line that I see right now is that we are not playing the way that we were playing in the beginning of the season.....and it concerns me that the Team is struggling to find that "swagger" before it is too late.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-20-2014 at 01:14 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I asked this in another thread, but if the point is to just shrug your way through the end of the regular season and "turn it on" come postseason -- why the heck keep playing Scola through an elbow injury, running David West into the ground, giving starters crazy minutes?

If the strategy is to play for the postseason, they're doing a good job ensuring some of these guys won't be able to give 100% in the postseason.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I asked this in another thread, but if the point is to just shrug your way through the end of the regular season and "turn it on" come postseason -- why the heck keep playing Scola through an elbow injury, running David West into the ground, giving starters crazy minutes?

If the strategy is to play for the postseason, they're doing a good job ensuring some of these guys won't be able to give 100% in the postseason.
    This is a fairly gross misinterpretration of my statement. You're implying that they are sleep-walking on purpose, so they can flip a switch come playoff time when they actually "start trying to win". I never once stated that a switch would be flipped, and "they just start trying". It's more of, they are truly struggling... but come playoff time, they will get it worked out. There's a massive difference between just struggling, and doing it on purpose. I personally don't believe that they are doing it on purpose. They are playing Scola et al because they truly are trying to work it out.

They have 14 games... which to most folks on here is evidently an impossibly short period of time... whereas, I think 14 games is an eternity in NBA-time. A team can get it together in 3-4 games. It can happen slowly, it can happen fast -- sometimes it happens in one game. Especially when a team gets a real good scare, like... a playoff elimination game and their backs get up against a wall. It's just how the ebb and flow of NBA chemistry and teamwork goes.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-20-2014 at 11:10 AM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I don't understand this myself. Championship level teams do not play down to the level of their competition. At different points during the last couple of weeks we have trailed to the Sixers (twice), the Celtics, the Pistons (by 25!!!), and the Bucks. We have lost to the Bobcats, the Rockets, and Mavericks (who all leveled us). We are better that this; These games should not be hard for us, and wouldn't be if we just played the we know we can. We need to figure this out and soon...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    Championship level teams do not play down to the level of their competition.
    Yes, they do. They do it all the time. Just look at Miami. Look at the Lakers in the 00-01 season. No team goes 100% throughout the regular season. Only the Bulls do that.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Yes, they do. They do it all the time. Just look at Miami. Look at the Lakers in the 00-01 season. No team goes 100% throughout the regular season. Only the Bulls do that.
    The difference between us and Miami is that if Miami wanted to blow out a team they could do it with out thinking twice. Miami isn't playing down to the level of their competition they just don't care until the playoffs. We have stated on several occasions that we want the #1 seed in the East and are willing to kill our selves to do it. However i doubt right now that we could blow out a team if we really wanted to...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    The difference between us and Miami is that if Miami wanted to blow out a team they could do it with out thinking twice. Miami isn't playing down to the level of their competition they just don't care until the playoffs. We have stated on several occasions that we want the #1 seed in the East and are willing to kill our selves to do it. However i doubt right now that we could blow out a team if we really wanted to...
    You just have to love that line of thinking..
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

By the way, we also missed 8 free throws last night. We make those we win.