Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Sixers Post Game Thread Even the Crowd Was Asleep

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Sixers Post Game Thread Even the Crowd Was Asleep

I am to the point where I just come to expect us to struggle against small, athletic teams. We played hard, but Philly, as bad as they are, is a team we just don't match up well with.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, our next stretch of games might go differently if we keep playing at this level.

BUT, even if we aren't playing 'great' - but we manage to find a way to win those games... Are we still going to throw the team under the bus?

That's what I just don't get.

We haven't been playing great. We haven't been facing good competition. I understand that. But we've won 4 games in a row. We're maintaining and expanding our slim lead on the #1 seed.

*IF* our play slacks and we lose to higher quality competition, I'll be the first one to be frustrated and wish we would fix some things.

But we're not there yet. The games have yet to be played and already everyone is predicting doom for the upcoming stretch.

Just wish the team would get the benefit of the doubt around here more. I think they've earned it.
    well first of all imo if we play like this we won't find a way to win those games. but even if we do, it will only ease my worries not completely make them go away. because i'm more worried about the way we play than wins/losses. this slump has been going on for a long time and i'm getting more and more worried everday that we won't be able to turn it around when playoffs come. we are not looking at what east used to be earlier in the season. there are teams that will push us at the playoffs. a trip to the conference finals won't be a walk in the park as it used to look like earlier.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Seems like the ultimate "stats" vs "eye test" - the W/L stat has us in the race for the championship. The "eye test" has us in the race for Wiggens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Last night was the first time in a while I've felt all the rush to bash Hibbert was, well, fair.

Most of the time, I roll my eyes at posts on this board pertaining to Hibbert, especially ones that aren't made in the heat of the moment -- I understand why his play frustrates in real-time. But usually when you pull the curtain back on a game, you see he made a difference at the rim and changed the shots the other team was willing to take, and in the end, that's what he's paid to do.

But last night, I thought, was just a pathetic effort from Hibbert, on both ends really. Vogel must have agreed...he yanked him after that "I guess I don't want to dunk this ball after all" stunt.

I really don't say or feel that often, but last night, Hibbert just didn't even show up until the and-one at the end, which hardly made up for his play on the boards (which is unfairly criticized often, but should have been fairly criticized last night), that dunk-it-or-not crap, his love of the mid-range jumper and getting blocked from behind by a freaking guard...

Hey, I still think last night was the exception to the rule, and if he is the usual Hibbert in the playoffs, none of us will remember. But to me, there's a difference between having an off night, and just not ever showing up in the first place, and it concerns me when a player does the latter, as I really thought Hibbert did last night.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Regarding Hibbert, sometimes and that's usually from Lance, the latter don't do him favours with his passes. I get that. Sometimes though it is his fault that he demonstrates his inner Mahinmi in regards to catching the ball.

As for the game, it was a bad one from us I think. So bad that I fell asleep in the 4th quarter despite being close. There are no excuses having such a bad shooting night against such a crappy team. Yes we take the win of course but come on, are we really keep saying that against teams like Philly? You wanna see some good basketball from your team.

TMJ31 has a point that such games will not matter in the end of the regular season if we have secured the 1st place but let's say I am not buzzing either after watching such displays. It's been like that for quite some time now.

Hoping and I think we will change our tune come playoffs time, I just hope such performances against good teams won't cost us the HCA.

That 3rd quarter offensively was a mess
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have never wanted a game to end more in my entire life. Those last 40 seconds felt like 40 minutes. When MCW committed the second out of bounds foul at the end of the game I wanted to go down and punch him in the face.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Hibbert sure did look disinterested in that game even after the and-1 towards the end of the game he had no sort of emotional reaction whatsoever and that's kind of troubling to me for someone who plays with as much emotion as Roy does/has. Sure it's just one play and you can't read too much into it but that moment in particular stuck out to me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Our offense and particularly our shooting was a bit of a blooper reel tonight. Contrasted with the Sixers hitting everything until crunch time, it was like watching surgery without any good looking people holding the scalpel. The best moment of the game wasn't Mullen's kicking the ball in frustration and getting the technical foul. But his teammate MCW halfheartedly kicking the already-kicked ball back across the court away from the players in a second act of defiance. I've watched this play about seven times and I can't tell if MCW is kind of mad, just being supportive, or really into kicking things.

Ian Report: He's back and the IR is back. Come at me, bruv! Though Mahinmi does lose points for those really bad free throws in the first half, he showed why this team should be at the top of the defensive standings with his shot blocking and maneuvering. Frank put Scola on Mullens and Ian on Thad, and though TY made some shots (because he's really good), Ian still managed to defend the paint. It was against 10-day dudes, but you could tell the second unit was trusting each other a lot more than the starters as a group, and I believe part of that is Ian's veteran (!) presence in his well-defined role. I'm glad for him that he found some touch around the basket and did NOT lose any more teeth on that vicious Wroten drive. I do want to give Lance a wag of my finger for not only throwing that terrible pass in the second quarter, but shaking his head at Mahinmi. If only he was as nice to the French as he was to the Irish. 'A-'
    Video?

Posters can talk about how they looked bad all they want. If West makes even half of his gimmies, that game would have been a 15pt win going away.

People say they want to see improvements, yet we saw plenty of them. Turnovers weren't a problem, defense stayed solid even with crappy offensive performance (which wasn't always the case over the last 2-3 weeks), PG was way more aggressive. There were others, but it's not as easy as just throwing up your arms and getting peeved.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Turnovers weren't a problem
    This is so, so key. If this team stays single-digits in turnovers, I guarantee they will beat any .500 or under teams 99 times out of 100. I thought that was why they won last night, actually.

Now, vs >.500 teams, they need a little more than that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Come on folks. They're 50-17 now. Not 49-18.

You'd probably complain about the mole on Kate Upton's face too - wouldn't you ??

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

You'd probably complain about the mole on Kate Upton's face too - wouldn't you ??
    Wait she has a mole?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Roy's effort on the boards at this point is pathetic and I'm not really sure why it is so bad. Please do not tell me that it is Lance's fault either, because that is just bologna at this point (both statistically and if you actually watch the games).

His inability to establish position in the post is also a major issue as it used to be his biggest strength, but now he is just so willing to shoot those terrible mid ranger jumpers. He used to look to create passing opportunities out of those situations and now it is just like if he gets the ball with even an inch of space in the mid range that shot is going up and that is not how you should be talking about your 7'2" center especially since Roy is only a mediocre shooter.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Posters can talk about how they looked bad all they want. If West makes even half of his gimmies, that game would have been a 15pt win going away.

People say they want to see improvements, yet we saw plenty of them. Turnovers weren't a problem, defense stayed solid even with crappy offensive performance (which wasn't always the case over the last 2-3 weeks), PG was way more aggressive. There were others, but it's not as easy as just throwing up your arms and getting peeved.
    Agreed, Paul attacked the hoop much better. He is not whining as much (still more than he should), but considering 10 days ago he was the most infantile star in the league he has made an improvement. Hopefully he has learned that just playing hard and in attack mode will get him far more calls than *****ing to the officials every time.

Plus Holis Thompson and Thaddeus young shot 8-12 from 3 last night. These are two guys who are shooing like a combined 33% on the season. You take away 4 of those 3s and it's not even a game late.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Wait she has a mole?
    We need to photoshop some Pacer logos on that pic. It can be our "UGLY WIN" picture.

Like the Wolf says in Pulp Fiction after they clean the car, "lets not start sucking each other's ***** quite yet." I'm cautiously optimistic after the four game winning streak, but these have been four garbage teams and we had to squeak some of them out by the skin of our teeth. I want to see how this squad does against some better competition.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Wait she has a mole?
    she has a face?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Funny thing about that, that's the phraseology (usually sub-out d**k with something else, or just imply it) when I hear commentators ramble on about how good player Y is.

No, no d**k sucking here. Denari used the word "underwhelmed" at half time, which stuck with me because I thought it was pretty spot on. I would have went with "uninspired." The full energy wasn't there, but there were lots of positives last night. Outside of Roy just plain sucking, and West not being able to buy a bucket, I thought it wasn't too bad.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    His inability to establish position in the post is also a major issue.
    This! This! This!

I know that PG, Lance, and Hill aren't the best passers in the game, but when alot of posters come here and complain about Roy not getting the ball enough, or that so-and-so isn't passing him the ball, it's because of THIS! Roy gets hip-checked out of position too easily. I'm not sure if it's his frame, his stance, or what. I've seen on more than a few occasions where Roy is in position to get the ball, and the second whomever is passing releases the rock, Roy's defender muscles him out of position using mid/lower strength, and is able to intercept or get a good swipe at the ball. Or if Roy does get control of the ball, he's been pushed out and away of the basket.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    tired of this excuse. yeah there's a little bit to it, but our talent absolutely dwarfs Philly's. our average game should crush them unless they hit 15 threes or something.

say whatever you want, this team is playing like crap. so much standing around, so many careless plays, so many close games against crappy teams. if they dont turn it around quick, we're getting blown out by teams like CHI and MEM on the road
    I'm tired of *this* stuff: "If we were playing CHI and MEM, we'd get killed."

There's absolutely no proof of this. Philly has played us tough; they may have lost 20 in a row, but that was not a bad team out there, they played with a lot of pride, and we're a BIG target these days. Winning sure has spoiled some of us. Basketball is a past-time; I've enjoyed watching this team through thick and thin. Winning is a bonus. It's not a guarantee, and it's absolutely nothing you can demand of this team. It's absolutely hilarious that people get on here all high and mighty as if this team is "disappointing them". Being "upset" and acting like this team isn't "meeting your standards" because we only won by 9 is just hilarious. Get a grip. Team is 50-17, for Pete's Sake, and there's this contingency of folks pissed off? Would you like to go back to 2007, and the JOB days?
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-18-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

It's been a long time since I've felt disappointed by a win, but I must say last night's game left me disappointed.

Watched the whole game twice, and I guess I'd simply say that the team wasn't playing together at all. A lot of individual efforts against a team that clearly is nowhere near as talented from top to bottom. The fact that this game was even a contest in the 4th is just off, IMO.

If I were to write a prescription for our starting 5, I'd order the following:

Hill: Become more multidimensional offensively... driving works almost every time for the team, what's up with being parked on the perimeter most of the game lately?

Stephenson: Slow the roll/flash and concentrate on accuracy. At this point in the season, he knows his teammates. When does it start becoming his fault when he slings these bullet passes to players who have shown repeatedly that they can't handle them? When a couple of these circumstances happen, he then feels the need to go hero/iso mode in response. Fail. Lance, we know you're talented... please just focus on team wins. Something's up with him. He plays to me like he's auditioning for his next contract for another team.

George: More humility in his style, and playing within himself. He needs to stop believing that he's so skilled that all shots, no matter how contested they are, are shots he can make. Yes, he's insanely talented... but so is Lebron, and we don't see Lebron trying to drive to the post on Hibbert anymore, do we?

West: Practice layups, particularly in transition. Without question, the best midrange shooter on our team, but he's had a steady decline on simple plays in the post... last night was a good example of this. Given his size, he should be a 60-65% shooter in the post, IMO.

Hibbert: Get out of his own head. It's becoming too predictable to not be real: when Hibbert starts feeling bad about himself, he shrinks. What's making it worse lately is all of the social media and places like this board suggesting that Bynum is a better player than he is. Mahinmi OTOH, seems to fight harder when his position in the pecking order is at risk. Hibbert starts disengaging and playing small.

The talent is there in spades, and they've shown that when they play together that they are almost unstoppable.

It's frustrating to see these kinds of regressions, and to not see more passion. How can they follow up the Detroit game with this display? I don't get it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

This game showed Vogel still has no clue on his rotations off the bench. He should've played Allen at backup center. The guy went 6 for 6 vs. Philly last Friday! Copeland instead of Scola, let Solo play back up 2, Evan moves to backup PG, and Butler at backup SF. That bench would've built us a major cushion going into 4th quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    West: Practice layups, particularly in transition. Without question, the best midrange shooter on our team, but he's had a steady decline on simple plays in the post... last night was a good example of this. Given his size, he should be a 60-65% shooter in the post, IMO.
    Admittedly, this makes me a bit nervous. If anyone remembers West vs MIA last year, his rim game was just gone, missed layups left & right. Dude had no legs left. I'm a bit worried Vogel has asked too much of him this year, and he'll again be taxed by the time he would prospectively even reach the ECFs.

Also highlights how dumb it is going to be if this team DOESN'T close out the home stretch by locking down #1 in the East. Will have sacrificed rest for nothing.