Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receivers 2014

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Receivers 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I definitely see a lil' Welker in Whalen. The assumption you should make from my comment is that I didn't mean they are carbon-copies of each other, just that they share similarities.
    I mean to me they are totally different, quickness, the way they run routes, how they are with he ball in their hands. I am more with the Blair white idea than Welker, I think that is a big stretch.
    Why so SERIOUS

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Similarities" are all subjective. I think all those guys are in the same general category; you obviously break them down even further, but I can't say they are "totally different." Everyone categorizes things differently. I still think those three guys are a lot more alike than say, Calvin Johnson... or AJ Green. Sure Welker is quicker; but they both make tough catches across the middle, make nice out route catches, run tight routes, and move the chains. They both do most of their damage in short and medium yardage situations. Whalen is a poor man's Welker. I never said they were identical, or on the same level. Just that they have similarities. Obviously Welker has produced a lot more.... but he's been around longer. Welker, like Whalen, was undrafted, and bounced around a year or two before landing some consistent playing time, and even then (like Whalen), slowly increased his production over a 2-3 year period before he took off in year 4 and 5.

I'm not comparing 2012 Welker with 2012 Whalen. I'm comparing 2005 Welker with 2013 Whalen. Not saying Whalen is going to have Welker's career, but there's nothing stopping him from having 50-75% of Welker's production, which I would happily take. Whalen actually is bigger than Welker by a few inches and a lot more muscle, especially at their respective points in their career. Welker wasn't Whalen-big in year 2.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-19-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

"Similarities" are all subjective. I think all those guys are in the same general category; you obviously break them down even further, but I can't say they are "totally different." Everyone categorizes things differently. I still think those three guys are a lot more alike than say, Calvin Johnson... or AJ Green. Sure Welker is quicker; but they both make tough catches across the middle, make nice out route catches, run tight routes, and move the chains. They both do most of their damage in short and medium yardage situations. Whalen is a poor man's Welker. I never said they were identical, or on the same level. Just that they have similarities. Obviously Welker has produced a lot more.... but he's been around longer. Welker, like Whalen, was undrafted, and bounced around a year or two before landing some consistent playing time, and even then (like Whalen), slowly increased his production over a 2-3 year period before he took off in year 4 and 5.

I'm not comparing 2012 Welker with 2012 Whalen. I'm comparing 2005 Welker with 2013 Whalen. Not saying Whalen is going to have Welker's career, but there's nothing stopping him from having 50-75% of Welker's production, which I would happily take. Whalen actually is bigger than Welker by a few inches and a lot more muscle, especially at their respective points in their career. Welker wasn't Whalen-big in year 2.
    I just think that is too open ended though there are a lot of people that do that same thing, like I said I just think it is a stretch, the key things to Welkers game is his quickness and how that causes problems and mismatches, I guess and the fact he makes circus catches at times, if another person does not have those then in my eyes they are not that similar.

Also can't even remember Welker in 2005, what is the point in comparing the two during that time? I mean I don't think Whalen has the separation skills to grow like Welker has over the years. I think there are a lot of people that have the skills you outlined, but also I don't think they are similar to Welker.

P.S. I just want you to know that I appreciate your comments, and my responses are not a personal attack but just a difference in opinion that I like to address, and I am not always against your comments either, lol
    Why so SERIOUS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sounds like you two are judging their similarities two different ways. Kid is looking at how they produce on a typical play. Really is looking at their attributes/style. The key thing here I think is that they are both slot receivers, so the comparison is legit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Sounds like you two are judging their similarities two different ways. Kid is looking at how they produce on a typical play. Really is looking at their attributes/style. The key thing here I think is that they are both slot receivers, so the comparison is legit.
    Yeah, but in that case I would just say he is a slot receiver, there are many to compare him to, but I think Welker is a special case, to me that is like saying Rogers has # 1 potential and is similar to Calvin Johnson, they have some similarities, but are still very different and the thing that makes johnson special is not seen anywhere in Rogers game.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyway, I like Whalen, I hope he sticks.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Well you would think the Colts will be picking some type of receiver in this supposed good wideout draft so someone's going bye bye.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I heard that Denver is thinking of holding training camp at Rose Hulman. The Forehead really misses the place.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I heard that Denver is thinking of holding training camp at Rose Hulman. The Forehead really misses the place.
    That would work actually. My Colts loyalty may resolve the issue whether Peyton should retire or not. Damn those golf carts and injuries.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Well you would think the Colts will be picking some type of receiver in this supposed good wideout draft so someone's going bye bye.
    Yeah possibly late, I am thinking Secondary with the first pick, I am hoping Lamarcus Joyner Falls to us, would be amazing.

At this point I am thinking we go C/G or G, Safety with the 2nd round pick.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, I've been thinking Safety. I'd love to grab Bob Sanders 2.0 in the second round again. I just feel it's a position that a rookie could come in and give us good minutes at.

Mood

Yea, I've been thinking Safety. I'd love to grab Bob Sanders 2.0 in the second round again. I just feel it's a position that a rookie could come in and give us good minutes at.
    Yeah Joyner is about the same height, a big playmaker, and a sure tackler, he is not as much of a big hitter, but he is better in coverage and can even play against slots. There is also a guy from Wyoming I believe that was mocked to us in the 5th I think but he impressed me with his combine and highlight tapes, would really love to see some game film though because highlight tapes can only show you so much you know...
    Why so SERIOUS