Thread: Receivers 2014

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Receivers 2014

This was brought up in Mike's Mailbag a few days ago:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...espnapi_public

Lewis
    @Blessed_2bless

@MikeWellsNFL if the Colts sing Nicks or any other receiver where does that leave talents like Rodgers, Whalen and Brazill?
    Mar. 15, 2014
    • Retweet
    • Favorite

Wells: One of them may not end up making the roster depending on how many receivers the Colts keep. Nicks, Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton are the top three receivers. The Colts like Da’Rick Rogers’ potential. So that likely leaves Griff Whalen and LaVon Brazill battling it out for the fifth and final receiver spot on the roster.

Interesting thought. I almost hate to see any of these guys go. I like them all. That said, it seems to me that Rogers has probably the most physical talent, and yet the most question marks, and thus far, the least production of the three. If you take away his huge 1-game explosion against Cincy, he's done almost nothing so far. I have a soft spot for Whalen as the Little Engine That Could. He wasn't "supposed to make it in the NFL" and yet here he is, and he seems to have improved a lot, and also gotten a lot bigger. He's proven to be a good mid-range option with good hands. Brazill to me seems to be somewhere in between Rogers and Whalen, being a little more athletic than Whalen, and good hands, consistent production.

Is there any way we can keep all three? lol... I don't want to cut any of them. My biggest fear is we let one of these guys go, and then one or two of Hilton/Wayne/Nicks suffer injuries and we're regretting it big-time. I guess if it came down to it, Brazill would be the odd man out for me, but man is it close.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Default Re: Receivers 2014

I assume you can still place someone on the practice squad after the season starts? Seems Griff keeps spending time there until needed.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I'm really hoping one of them really steps up during the preseason. The problem is that they all need in-game reps with Luck to get better, and that's going to be hard if the big three stay healthy and both TE's are healthy too. Right now it's a good problem to have after last season. I wonder if Reggie will share reps early in the season to help him work his way back? I think Rogers would be best in that scenario.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think all three stay unless one gets beat out by a guy that is not yet on the roster, Nicks is on a one year deal, and honestly him and Wayne could be gone after this season. Add to the idea that we don't know how long it will take Wayne to get back up to full speed I assume all make the active Roster. Oh I should add that Allen is coming back from injury, so he may not seek as much time starting out either.

Not really too worried about this situations, even if one gets cuts there will be other Brazils or Whalens out there in the future.

Can't get attached too much to dispensable players...
    Why so SERIOUS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Griff would spend about 30 seconds on the Colts practice squad before being signed by another team.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Griff would spend about 30 seconds on the Colts practice squad before being signed by another team.
    Liar
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

I think Whalen's eligibility on the PS might be in jeopardy, due to playing time but I don't know for sure...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    I think Whalen's eligibility on the PS might be in jeopardy, due to playing time but I don't know for sure...
    It is he can no longer be on the PS Squad

of the three i think griffer is the most likely to be cut.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Liar
    Not sure why this is necessary...you don't believe it fine. No need for you to state it like this.

For my part, Griff had a better or on par season with more than a few "name" wide receivers. I think some team would pick him up if given the chance.
    Last edited by travmil; 03-18-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whalen played better than Brazill last year, but that was last year. All 3 have talent, but it depends on which one fits better in system. I don't want to let any of them go, but that's the business of the NFL
    Smothered Chicken!

There's no doubt we have some toys for Mr. Luck now. I was impressed the way Pep finally adjusted last season. I think it's mostly on him to figure out ways to maximize the talent we have. I also want to see if we can involve TRich in the passing game more too.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Not sure why this is necessary...you don't believe it fine. No need for you to state it like this.

For my part, Griff had a better or on par season with more than a few "name" wide receivers. I think some team would pick him up if given the chance.
    Lol, sorry Travmil it was a joke
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Whalen played better than Brazill last year, but that was last year. All 3 have talent, but it depends on which one fits better in system. I don't want to let any of them go, but that's the business of the NFL
    Whalen got more opportunity mostly out of comfort with Luck and a terrible OL.

Out of everyone I would prefer Rogers to get cut. He supposedly has potential, but I don't think it is any greater than Brazill's and as of the end of the season Brazill is better right now. Whalen looks like he will carve out a nice career as a slot receiver, so I would like to keep him too. Hopefully all of them will be on the roster this year. I think even without Nicks or a healthy Wayne we would have had a good receiving core, all we really needed to see them excel was a halfway decent OL. As of right now it seems our improvement will be minimal at best.

I favor Rogers over Brazill for a couple of reasons. Rogers is our tallest receiver at 6'3". That's 4" taller than Brazill. He also has one less year experience so there's more room for growth.

Also Brazill already has 2 strikes against him for illegal substances. That cost him 4 games last year. He's one mistake away from being unavailable for a significant number of games.

Whalen seems like a potentially good possession receiver.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

If it came down to Rogers or Whalen I'd have to say we would benefit the best by letting Whalen go. With Nicks here and Reggie coming back along with TY I don't see much playing time for him and Rogers excels better on special teams along with Brazill. A lot might disagree but I think we have a pretty well stocked WR core.

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'd prefer we not depend on former practice squad scrubs to fill the hole of a HOFer.

Mood

Me either, I see Nicks as an audition this year and our long-term number one receiver when Reggie decides to walk away.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'd prefer we not depend on former practice squad scrubs to fill the hole of a HOFer.
    Not sure who indicated so. We're just talking depth. We are in the rare position of being 6-deep at WR. Of course, Whalen/Rogers/Brazill are not in the category of Wayne/Hilton/Nicks... but they aren't half bad. And Wayne/Nicks have a bit of recent injury history. So one of those 4-thru-6 guys is likely to get cut, and it's just an interesting thought because I can't remember in our team history having our 4-thru-6 receivers actually being decent. Like Strummer was saying, Brazill is the one that I'd let go of first, because of his substance history. Whalen has a tremendous work ethic and drive to improve and I just can't discount that... Rogers has the talent, if he could just realize it.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I want to see Reggie come back from injury and prove he can still be productive. He and the oft injured Nicks going into the preseason as #2 and #3 on the depth chart makes me a tad nervous.

Rodgers and Brazil have shown flashes, but Whalen has outproduced both guys when given the chance.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, that's my stance on Whalen. He is the least "talented" of the three, and yet has arguably been the more consistent option, when given the chance. They keep stuffin the poor kid on the practice squad, when Brazill is out getting suspensions for substance abuse. Rogers has just been wayyy too inconsistent thus far. I see some Stokely/Welker in Whalen, and not just because they're all white. They play similarly. I like having skillsets like that around, they always seem to move the chains and make tough, critical catches.

Mood

To me it is pretty simple, harder to find a Rodgers type than a Brazil or Whalen type, so really I don't think he should be in this conversation.

Like I said I think all 3 will stay due to the status of Wayne, but if there has to be a cut it comes down to Brazil and Whalen.

Honestly as far as production both can be replaced fairly easily in my opinion so it doesn't really matter, but as far as character and off the field stuff I think Whalen clearly has the edge so most likely he would make the cut. Only thing to consider, I think with Brazil he can play inside and out, not sure if Whalen can do both so that is something to think about as well.

Sidenote, even though it still sucks Nicks has missed less than 3 games any season over his career. But there has been a big slump in his production and even though Eli was having an atrocious year you have to wonder if Nicks has what it takes still to be a #1 receiver in this league.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Yea, that's my stance on Whalen. He is the least "talented" of the three, and yet has arguably been the more consistent option, when given the chance. They keep stuffin the poor kid on the practice squad, when Brazill is out getting suspensions for substance abuse. Rogers has just been wayyy too inconsistent thus far. I see some Stokely/Welker in Whalen, and not just because they're all white. They play similarly. I like having skillsets like that around, they always seem to move the chains and make tough, critical catches.
    I wouldn't say Welker, and for Rogers I think the inconsistency is okay for now, started out at Tennessee and got suspended went to another lower level school where he could beat guys just with his gifts and probably didn't get as much coaching up in the other areas, came to the Colts without an offseason with them and was put into game action with in the first 4 weeks he was with the team I believe. If he still has a bunch of inconsistency after this year then maybe you can worry, but right now it is still a little too early.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I wouldn't say Welker, and for Rogers I think the inconsistency is okay for now, started out at Tennessee and got suspended went to another lower level school where he could beat guys just with his gifts and probably didn't get as much coaching up in the other areas, came to the Colts without an offseason with them and was put into game action with in the first 4 weeks he was with the team I believe. If he still has a bunch of inconsistency after this year then maybe you can worry, but right now it is still a little too early.
    I definitely see a lil' Welker in Whalen. The assumption you should make from my comment is that I didn't mean they are carbon-copies of each other, just that they share similarities.

I think Whalen was the benefit of fitting what the Colts needed at the time. He was the only possession receiver the Colts had at the end of last year. He reminds me more of Blair White. He's a mediocre safety valve who is probably not versatile enough to do much else. He's useful insurance and he won't kill you when he's on the field, but that's about it.

I think who gets cut should depend on injuries. If Wayne and Nicks (who IMO are both possession type receivers) look like injury risks after preseason, they should keep Whalen. If both those guys look ready to go, then there's no reason to keep a 3rd possession receiver and they should keep the higher upside guys instead.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    I think Whalen was the benefit of fitting what the Colts needed at the time. He was the only possession receiver the Colts had at the end of last year. He reminds me more of Blair White. He's a mediocre safety valve who is probably not versatile enough to do much else. He's useful insurance and he won't kill you when he's on the field, but that's about it.

I think who gets cut should depend on injuries. If Wayne and Nicks (who IMO are both possession type receivers) look like injury risks after preseason, they should keep Whalen. If both those guys look ready to go, then there's no reason to keep a 3rd possession receiver and they should keep the higher upside guys instead.
    Whalen is a survivor. The more you see him the more you like him even though he's not the most talented guy out there but doesn't make too many mistakes. Can't say that about the other 2 in the mix. Also Luck and pep obviously like to have him around. I'm guessing they find a way to keep Griff because if Nicks is really good he will want a big contract and if he isn't he is gone anyway.