Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

I don't care if he has a gazillion dollars, a million is still a very steep fine. That he can afford it doesn't matter. Then tack on the 6-8 game 'suspension' and whatever that would mean financially.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care if he has a gazillion dollars, a million is still a very steep fine. That he can afford it doesn't matter. Then tack on the 6-8 game 'suspension' and whatever that would mean financially.
    I hope one day that owners and players are treated equally and a player is fined a million dollars...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of those changes would potentially apply to first-time DUI offenders. According to ProFootballTalk, a player "deemed legally responsible" for his first DUI offense would be hit with a one-game suspension and a fine of one game check.
    Under the league's current policy for substance abuse, a first-time offender generally faces a fine of two game checks, but no suspension.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-dui-offenders

How does the player policy vs Irsay's reported punishment, fit into the "racist" argument?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regardless of the DUI part he was also carrying 29K in cash and had a bunch of drugs on him that also raises red flags to me at least.

Then there's that dead woman in the house he bought for her.

If his name was Jim Schmo instead of Jim Irsay yes I think this would've been handled differently. A black kid from Pike would be under the jail right now and not perceived as someone who needs help but a hardened criminal.
    1) It's not illegal to have $29,000 in cash on you. 2) What does the dead woman have to do with anything? There's nothing that ties back to anything in regards to Jim being pulled over high as a kite.

And someone said above that they'd be put away for 5+ years if in the same situation ---- huh uh. Ain't happenin.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...more/10282707/

Bob Kravitz exclusive: Jim Irsay opens up about alcoholism, addiction and more

His eyes are clear, clearer than before. His posture, which saw him stooped over like an old man, is much improved. His complexion, once red and blotchy, has been replaced by a healthy looking tan.

In his first extended interview since his DUI arrest in March, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay remained circumspect about what happened that night and what he's been through since then. But he addressed several topics on the record with The Star, which may or may not shed light on his current state of mind as he deals with the ongoing disease of addiction, not to mention the chronic pain he feels in his hip and lower back as a result of old injuries and surgeries.

"These diseases, both alcoholism and addiction, much like bipolar or depression and different illnesses, are still not seen as real diseases," Irsay said during a two-hour interview in his office Monday. "People shy away from seeking help because it's viewed as being somewhat morally off the path, that they've lost their way. I really think the disease aspect gets lost when you're talking about alcoholism and addiction; it's not like you're battling leukemia or a heart problem; it is that. But even in 2014, there's still this stigma.

"...That stigma gets carried forward and it's unfortunate because people die and families get affected and people don't seek treatment. It's an unusual disease in the sense that the person has to diagnose himself. He has to realize that there's this genetic disease you have to deal with through treatment. My grandfather and father both died of the disease, and you realize you've spent a lot of time on this path. Certainly, I have. But with the disease, surgery and pain management can be very tricky waters."

Irsay wouldn't get into specifics, but suffice to say, he believes that because of his significant pain issues he began to lose his way with pain medication. This is not very different from what's happened in the past, what happens with millions of people in this country who deal with chronic pain. One day, a single Vicodin does the trick. Down the road, it takes several Vicodin. And Oxycodone. And more. And next thing you know, you're in the throes of addiction once again.

After attending rehab in several spots around the country in recent months, Irsay acknowledges he is still on some pain medication for his hip and back, but he's having it closely monitored by his doctors, who will eventually wean him off those meds if the pain abates. (Which might require surgery, but that's a different story.) He also has agreed to random drug testing with the prosecutor's office, with those results being shared with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's office.

Meanwhile, Irsay says he has remained alcohol-free for more than a decade and continues to attend AA meetings around town and around the country.

"It's all been a blessing, just being able to focus on my health and redouble the efforts on recovery,'' Irsay said. "It's been a long path. I still have chronic pain. But it was the good thing… In some ways, (going through rehab) is my greatest moment. It takes courage to try and overcome the difficulties you have. For some reason, it's seen as unheroic. When someone beats cancer, it's like, `Wow, that's so heroic,' but when someone has this illness, it's treated like you're a leper because that person is morally corrupt, and that's not the case.

"... It's an ongoing thing in one's life when recovering from any disease. The disease never sleeps so you have to be proactive when dealing with it. But the journey is great because it forced you to grow spiritually. There's a lot of gratitude and spiritual growth. And it's rewarding because it makes you more virtuous when you have success."

Irsay describes the meds he is taking for pain as "the least invasive from an addiction standpoint and the most helpful from an orthopedic standpoint."

Of course, none of this answers some of the questions we wanted answered:

What exactly happened the night he was arrested? Was he addled on pain medication? Why did he fail field sobriety tests? Irsay declined to discuss the details for public consumption. (Sorry.)

What have his conversations with Goodell been like, and is there any credence to Adam Schefter's ESPN report that Irsay will be hit with a 6- to 8-game suspension and a $1 million fine? Again, he declined to discuss on the record.

Will he reach a plea deal or fight to clear his name? At this point, that's still all up in the air and between him and his lawyer, James Voyles.

There were other questions asked in his office Monday, but Irsay was understandably disinclined to answer them publicly. Two reasons: One, the case is still pending; two, recovery is a very private, personal thing.

He did, however, shed some light on some other subjects.

Like the 29 grand he had in his vehicle when he was arrested. Fact is, Irsay said, it's not unusual for him to have that kind of cash. Unafraid of making the point, he showed me a briefcase on his desk. When he opened it, I saw stacks and stacks of $100 bills.

"I don't know why that was leaked to the press or what it had to do with anything," he said. "You're talking about someone who is extremely generous, and I say that humbly. That's the way I try to live my life and it has nothing to do with the law. What's been reported out there, there's been a sensationalizing about things that have nothing to do with the law. It shouldn't be an issue."

He was asked what he would like to say to Colts fans who've been concerned about his welfare and his ability to run the franchise.

"I'd say my focus is on the season, my focus is on making the Colts the best team in the NFL," he said. "I'm completely engaged and have always been engaged, even when I was in rehab. Your paper acted like my kids were running the team and I was in some kind of coma and that's just not the truth."

Technically, his daughters stepped in to run the team in his absence. But Irsay said he was still very much engaged in the team's operations.

"You don't tell a player you can't monitor your investments for a month," he said. "There's no way you're going to have a billion-dollar investment and never fail to monitor it for a period of time.

"I would also say I'm deeply invested in continuing to make the Colts great. All my passion and efforts have been behind that. And I really appreciate all the support they've shown me writing letters, sending notes, people saying they wanted me to be healthy and ready to go, and that's where I'm at. I really appreciate everything. I've always felt like I had a personal relationship with fans. I'm not afraid to be emotional or vulnerable or humble. Mostly, though, I want to say that this journey we've been on, heading into another generation of greatness, I'm truly excited about this year and where we're at."

I asked him if he felt he needed to apologize, to Colts fans, to the league, to anybody.

"I don't think that's something I'll address right now," he said. "There are certain things I want to say that I can't say. We need to let the process go forward and I'll address that later. I'm a human being; if there's something I have to apologize for, I would, but at this point, it wouldn't be appropriate. It sets me up, like if you don't say you're sorry, then why aren't you saying you're sorry, and if you say you're sorry, then you must have done something wrong."

On whether an owner should be held to a higher standard than a player:

"Being an owner, I hold myself to the highest of standards. As a father, as a grandfather, as someone who by nature of their work has this public stage, my nature is to always take that standard seriously."

But should Goodell come down harder on an owner than he does on, say, a player who is charged with a DUI?

Irsay had an opinion, but not one he wanted to share with the public.

After all of this, he turns 55 years old Friday.

He smiled.

"I'd like to think I have many good years left," he said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-pushed-back/

Irsay’s operating while intoxicated trial pushed back

Colts owner Jim Irsay may get his court date pushed back, but he’s expected to have to face charges while his team is playing this season.

According to the Indianapolis Star, Irsay’s court date on operating while intoxicated charges will likely come in late October or early November.

His attorney asked for a continuance, and the D.A. is not opposed to the move.

But before that one, he may have to appear at a conference involving the custody of two children who live with their mother in a million-dollar home Irsay paid for earlier this year.

The case was brought by the ex-husband of the mother, who said he was concerned about the safety of the children in Irsay’s presence.

“As a father, I do not want my children subjected to this type of behavior and lifestyle,” Greg Martin wrote in a letter to the court. He added that “money does not buy morals or self-respect.”

The league has only said that Irsay was “under review,” as many wonder whether they’ll apply the same firm standards to an owner as they do players.

The silence from New York as to whether that’s true seems deafening, but the delay at least gives Roger Goodell time to consider how to punish one of his 32 bosses.

And here we go with the legal game. Postpone, divert, yada-yada.

Eventually, it'll fade from view and he'll end up with next to nothing as punishment for the whole thing. Yeah - money can take care of things like this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate to tell you guys this, but usually people get a slap on the wrist for first time DUI's. For example, I had a roommate in college who got a DUI, and I kid you not, blew over a .3. His license was suspended for 90days and he was sentenced to 40hrs community service. It turned into a group joke after a different friend was picked up for public intox/underage drinking and his sentence was pretty much everything friend#1 got, outside of the suspended license, and friend#2 was just stumbling his way home.

I've got a couple of other ancedotal examples from other friends/customers, as I work auto insurance. Hell, most of the time they give multiple offenders slaps on the wrist.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah Irsay getting a slap on the wrist for a DUI is nothing new. Given the amount of people who get popped for DUI is just so high that the courts and jails would not have the capacity to hold them that long. It sucks because it feels like society does not take impaired driving that serious even though it kills thousands of people a year. Irsay got lucky that he did not hurt anyone, but him getting a slap on the wrist will be no different than your regular joe who gets their first DUI.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-october-30/

Irsay trial postponed to October 30

Colts owner Jim Irsay has received a two-month reprieve in a court of law. That may not matter much in the Court of Goodell.

Per the Associated Press, a judge has postponed from August 28 until October 30 Irsay’s trial on misdemeanor charges of driving while intoxicated and driving with a Schedule I or II controlled substance in his body.

For a player with a first offense, the NFL typically would defer the imposition of discipline until after the criminal case is resolved. With the NFL hoping to show that owners are held to a higher standard, Commissioner Roger Goodell possibly will impose a suspension or other discipline on Irsay before the start of the 2014 regular season. Adam Schefter of ESPN previously reported that league insiders believe a six-to-eight-game suspension will be imposed.

And while that indeed would amount to a higher standard for owners, the NFL has declined to address whether Irsay will be placed in the same substance-abuse testing program that applies to plays. If/when that ever happens, Irsay would be subjected to the same protocol of up to 10 urine tests per month, and eventually a one-year suspension, if violations would continue.