Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

I've never understood why everyone pisses and moans about Irsay tweeting. Most of the time all they are are random giveaways featuring Colts tickets/merchandise and money, then it's just random *** song lyrics tweets and roster updates.

Given how out of touch the NFL führer is, I figured he'd be banned from his team for a year at the least, maybe more
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Next time Irsay should just knock his wife the f**k out on camara and he'd only get 2 games. I don't care how rich he is, $500,000 seems excessive to me.

That's because you are judging it from your net worth, Irsay is a billionaire, I mean when he was arrested he was carrying 29K in cash (and apparently it wasn't enough to get a cab to prevent all of this to begin with) so 500 K is like $100 to him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    No him not Tweeting is the best thing to come out of this.....

The rest? Isn't much of a punishment for him.
    No, Irsay's clearly an addict, has been for decades. Other than him hurting no one him being subject to drug testing from the law and the NFL is far and away the best thing to come from this, the only good thing. Quit being such a cynic. I'm not a fan of the guy, but he LIVES for the Colts. Other than blowing cash on Kerouac manuscripts he doesn't seem to have much more that he cars about, him being away from the team and finally getting some kind of consequence for the stupid **** he's done will hopefully wake him up and stop endangering the lives of Indy citizens.

And $500k was the most he could get fined under the CBA without Goodell getting unanimous (I think, may be majority but think unanimous) approval for something more from all the other owners.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No, Irsay's clearly an addict, has been for decades. Other than him hurting no one him being subject to drug testing from the law and the NFL is far and away the best thing to come from this, the only good thing. Quit being such a cynic. I'm not a fan of the guy, but he LIVES for the Colts. Other than blowing cash on Kerouac manuscripts he doesn't seem to have much more that he cars about, him being away from the team and finally getting some kind of consequence for the stupid **** he's done will hopefully wake him up and stop endangering the lives of Indy citizens.

And $500k was the most he could get fined under the CBA without Goodell getting unanimous (I think, may be majority but think unanimous) approval for something more from all the other owners.

Considering this is the same guy that rolls around with 29 K cash, 500 K won't matter to him doesn't mean I'm opposed to the amount he was fined just that compared to his wealth its not much.

And no a 6 game suspension for an owner means nothing as well since his daughter is running the team she can always give him a call about what to do the NFL can't stop that. Him not tweeting is the worst thing you could do to him because that's something he enjoys and he can't have.

Yes he's an addict so are millions of other people but there's not a whole lot of sympathy for them either if they get behind the wheel and endanger the lives of others in the process.

He can be subjected to all the drug tests the NFL offers it won't really matter because he'll find away to get around it. He never stopped taking drugs he just got caught and fortunately didn't kill anyone in the process. If you think this was an incentive for him to suddenly stop I'm going to disagree. Now if this actually gets him to take a cab next time then that's something.

I know this is against the grain but I think 'suspending' an owner is about the most idiotic thing I can possibly think of. Fining him for tarnishing the image of the shield, requiring drug testing... sure... Those make sense. But 'suspending' an owner? Now??? And over a misdemeanor OWI? And it's for punishment at this point. Pure idiocy.

Happening immediately after the arrest you can argue it's to make sure there's a clean mind running the organization.... But at this point. It's simply a looney tunes 'punishment' that is silliness at best. Let the man watch the games from his suite. Let him visit his Colts Complex. Let him talk to the players and coaches that he pays out of his pocket.

It's understandable how a player can be suspended. It actually makes some sense. But an owner? It's stupid. If I was an owner and this happened to me, I wouldn't stand for it. We'd probably have to forfeit games because I would not abide by it. Certainly we'd be in court over it.

That's what I think....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Irsay like the players is under the NFL umbrella. He was hurting the brand. When he became an owner he signed up for all the rules that come with it.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Let him talk to the players and coaches that he pays out of his pocket.....
    And where does he get that money in his pocket ?? The NFL.

If I was an owner and this happened to me, I wouldn't stand for it. We'd probably have to forfeit games because I would not abide by it. Certainly we'd be in court over it.....
    I doubt that. The 'punishment' does pretty much nothing to the team itself. Why risk getting additional penalties like losing a draft pick or 3 ?? Or whatever else Goodell might come up with. The smart owner just sucks it up and moves on. Oh - and ask Donald Sterling how threatening court action worked out for him.

Irsay got dinged - and pretty much nothing happened to the Colts. I wouldn't **** & moan about that at all.

You can't compare any/all legal processes with Donald Sterling. It would be like someone being charged with murder and saying "Oh yeah, well how did prosecuting OJ turn out?"

Suspending an owner is just dumb, in general. There's better options out there. How about making him do 100hrs of community service? Why not make him donate that $500,000 to MADD? Why not make him/Colts start an anti-driving under the influence campaign in Indy? Why not make him do all 3 of those things? Instead of hiding him, and hoping everyone forgets, make him an example. The Colts would be a great platform to get survivors or family memebers of accident victims of others driving drunk/high to let them tell their stories? How about PSA's that are aired in LOS during pre-game, end of quarters, halftime?
    Last edited by Since86; 09-04-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

I would assume any penalties would have to be connected to the NFL. Therefore, community service, donating to another charity, etc. would be out of the NFL's jurisdiction.

I'm not trying to defend or stand up for Irsay. He's a nutjob with a wad of cash - courtesy of his father and the NFL. Your typical 'born with a silver spoon in his mouth'. All he's done is ride the gravy train that the NFL is driving. And I'm not faulting him for that - pretty sure we'd all do the same thing. This just further proves that money does indeed buy freedom (or whatever you want to call this).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

The NFL donates fine money to charity anyways. So even if they couldn't order Irsay to donate to, say, MADD directly, they could simply take the check and then fork it right over to MADD all in the same press conference or something.

I just thinking suspending an owner, telling him to stay away from the team/twitter, is basically trying to sweep the whole thing under the rug. They have the opportunity to actually bring good out of a bad situation, instead of just hoping "out of sight, out of mind" happens.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

^^ Pretty much what we expected from the start.

The 'system' comes thru once again.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    This feels really gross. I don't know why anyone needs to know any of this.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

It took me a long time to read that. And I'm not sure I still get the point of that article.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I didn't bother reading the article but I doubt anything in that article is all that surprising either.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The end of the article seems to indicate that Jim has the support of Kim's family, which is all I really need to know. It seems like nothing more than a side relationship that Jim had, maybe a little weird, but sounds like he supported her in many ways. They both had their personal struggles and seemed to bond by that. I don't see a big deal about it; sounds like it's none of anyone's business.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 10-15-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Hopefully Jim has learned his lesson and scrapped that Toyota Highlander...

------

-John Wooden

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully Jim has learned his lesson and scrapped that Toyota Highlander...
    You have issues.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Irsay have lived about the weirdest life anyone can imagine. Yes it is easy to dismiss the concerns of rich people when so many people in America are dirt poor, but many people with as much money as Jim cross this certain threshold and are super weird and troubled. I think Jim has tried to be a good person in the best way he can.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post: