Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be so but that's never stopped the NFL from punishing players that were never charged with a crime by having them suspended for a few games. I don't get why an owner should be different even if he's an addict.
    Which is why Aldon Smith played against the Colts after he got a DUI and popped for pills.

The player usually chooses to wait, or to serve their suspension, but let's just pretend like there's a double standard going. At least it hasn't gone the twitter route yet, and accusing pretty much everyone in mass of being racist too.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

So when is Goondell expected to drop the hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I'm expecting Irsay to mount a legal defense to the charges (based on what we know now). So Goodell will be forced to wait on that outcome.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Which is why Aldon Smith played against the Colts after he got a DUI and popped for pills.

The player usually chooses to wait, or to serve their suspension, but let's just pretend like there's a double standard going. At least it hasn't gone the twitter route yet, and accusing pretty much everyone in mass of being racist too.
    He went to rehab and took time off you know much like Irsay did however he also didn't get a whole lot of sympathy for it like Irsay has despite being an addict himself.

However a more apt example although not dealing with drugs was Ben Roethlisberger who despite the court of public opinion was never arrested or charged and still had a 4 game suspension to serve.

So yes there's a double standard between players and owners the only horrible thing you could do to Irsay beyond banishing him from Twitter would be to take a draft pick(no I'm not advocating it but fining or suspending an owner doesn't do anything since well he owns the team a player has a limited time frame careerwise compared to an owner)

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-discipline/

Goodell on Irsay: We’ll wait for the facts, but he’s subject to discipline

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was noncommittal today when asked about Colts owner Jim Irsay’s potential discipline after his arrest for driving while intoxicated and felony drug possession.

“We obviously will want to understand the facts before we take any steps as it relates to any potential discipline,” Goodell said. “But obviously any policies, or any laws that are broken, whether you’re commissioner, owner, player or coach, those are subject to discipline.”

Goodell said he believes Irsay, who had previously disclosed that he has struggled with an addiction to painkillers, took the right step by going directly from jail to a treatment center. He also said Irsay’s daughters are capable of running the team in his absence.

“He is seeking help and he has done that voluntarily. That’s, I think, the most important step, at least initially,” Goodell said.

A future step will almost certainly include some type of suspension that forces Irsay to take more time away from the Colts. But Goodell isn’t ready to commit to that just yet.

He went to rehab and took time off you know much like Irsay did however he also didn't get a whole lot of sympathy for it like Irsay has despite being an addict himself.

However a more apt example although not dealing with drugs was Ben Roethlisberger who despite the court of public opinion was never arrested or charged and still had a 4 game suspension to serve.

So yes there's a double standard between players and owners the only horrible thing you could do to Irsay beyond banishing him from Twitter would be to take a draft pick(no I'm not advocating it but fining or suspending an owner doesn't do anything since well he owns the team a player has a limited time frame careerwise compared to an owner)
    That's weird, I thought the same thing, only reverse. Goodell said Irsay going to rehab wouldn't impact his punishment, while Goodell saying Aldon Smith going to rehab would impact his punishment. I see that as a double standard too.

http://nesn.com/2013/10/49ers-lineba...rehab-program/

Certainly, the issue here isn’t to discipline players. It’s to stop the behavior,” Goodell said. “Aldon has voluntarily said, ‘I need help.’ We’re obviously there to support him, and the 49ers did a great job getting him into a facility to try to get help. We support that.”
    Yep, no sympathy going on with that issue.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    That's weird, I thought the same thing, only reverse. Goodell said Irsay going to rehab wouldn't impact his punishment, while Goodell saying Aldon Smith going to rehab would impact his punishment. I see that as a double standard too.

http://nesn.com/2013/10/49ers-lineba...rehab-program/

Yep, no sympathy going on with that issue.

I was referring to the court of public opinion/media not Goodell I don't recall articles talking about how Aldon Smith is fighting for his life. (or about Johnny Jolly for that matter) but Goodell is arbitrary on the punishment he doles out so yes there's a hypocrisy to him as well.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97...it-aldon-smith

It all depends where you look.

We're talking about a league, and media, that has welcomed people with very highly questionable histories, like Ray Lewis, and puts them on pedestals. We're talking about a league/media that has welcomed back Mike Vick.

What Irsay did isn't right, but it's not like he's getting preferential treatment because he's a rich white guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bled/#comments

Irsay’s proposal on retractable roofs tabled

Before he was arrested for driving while intoxicated and felony drug possession, Colts owner Jim Irsay proposed that the NFL change its rules to allow teams with retractable roofs to open or close the roofs at halftime. But Irsay’s arrest and subsequent decision to check himself into a treatment facility means he won’t be there to advocate for his proposal at the league meeting.

NFL Network reports that the proposal has been tabled because the league wanted to have Irsay there to discuss the idea with the other owners before the owners vote on it.

Under current NFL rules, teams with retractable roofs must declare at least 90 minutes before kickoff whether the roof will be open or closed for that day. Teams can’t change their minds during the games, regardless of changing weather conditions. Irsay’s proposal is to permit a home team with a retractable roof to open or close its roof at halftime.

That rule could give Indianapolis (as well as the other teams with retractable roofs, Dallas, Houston and Arizona) an advantage. For instance, if the Colts were to take an early lead with the roof closed during a rainy, windy day in Indianapolis, they might open the roof at halftime on the theory that it would make it harder for the opposing team to come from behind in conditions that make it harder to pass.

So it seems like a long shot that the rest of the owners would agree to go along with a rule that aids the four teams that have retractable roofs. But until Irsay is able to attend a league meeting, the owners won’t vote on the matter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I don't think this is going to pass. I like the rule as it stands for competitive purposes.

But is it really an advantage if you have it open and bad weather moves in unexpectedly or sooner than expected so you close it at the half? I'd think that is what Irsay is wanting... That way they'd be more likely to open it even if the weather wasn't 100% sunny and clear because they know they can re-evaluate at the half just in case something has changed.

I suppose it could be argued if the Colts open it and surprise rains come that hurt the Colts own passing game then closing it would give them an advantage (or more correctly stated take away a potential advantage of the other team).

But realistically... so what? I think the rule could be specific enough to only allow you to close it for rain/snow or a certain % NWS threat of rain. Wind... no...
    And you shouldn't be able to open it at the half....
    But close it... With certain rules in place? I'd be fine with that.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

------

-John Wooden

dude was driving around lit with $29k in cash on him? wtf was he doing?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

what in the hell? $29k in cash? Thats a lot of cash...

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    what in the hell? $29k in cash? Thats a lot of cash...
    right?! I mean, at the VERY least and not insinuating anything it's just really stupid. I dunno maybe 29 damn thousand dollars is like 5 bucks of pocket change to me for a billionaire. that's honestly just nuts to me, even if it's all benjamins that's 290 bills man, that's not fitting in your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    right?! I mean, at the VERY least and not insinuating anything it's just really stupid. I dunno maybe 29 damn thousand dollars is like 5 bucks of pocket change to me for a billionaire. that's honestly just nuts to me, even if it's all benjamins that's 290 bills man, that's not fitting in your wallet.
    Yeah I don't care how much money you have, carry that much cash is just ridiculous and dumb

I draw the line at 25,000.00. I'm not carrying a penny over $25,000.00 cash on me at night. Now in the daytime I like to carry more in case I see a car I like or something.... But at night.... if I can't get by with 25,000.00 in cash on me then I just need to stay home.

------

-John Wooden

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah as bad as it looks, it's like me have a pocket full of pennies that have been cut in half.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    dude was driving around lit with $29k in cash on him? wtf was he doing?
    I hope this was a rhetorical question...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

It's still a lot of money regardless and rightfully attracts suspicion. It's not like when you're rich the price of everything increases to correlate with your income. And for practical reasons rich people rarely transact in huge amounts cash unless they have to, this is why American Express exists.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    It's still a lot of money regardless and rightfully attracts suspicion. It's not like when you're rich the price of everything increases to correlate with your income. And for practical reasons rich people rarely transact in huge amounts cash unless they have to, this is why American Express exists.

Exactly. I don't care if you're worth 80 trillion dollars - there is really no need to have $29K on you when you're rolling around the quiet suburbs of Indy......unless you're up to something screwy. It's not as if he was about to go make it rain in some South Beach night club like the Biebs.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

$14,000 in a metal briefcase? Geez, was that going to Tony Soprano or something?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe he was personally delivering one of his player's daily pay. They don't usually get home from the strip clubs til 3-4am.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I think the best part is that he was driving a Toyota
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not just a Toyota, but a highlander. That's like one step up from a corolla.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.