Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Oh he'll get a helluva fine/suspension, don't think anyone doubts that.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I think what people are going to doubt is how severe the punishment is going to be a fine and suspension really doesn't do anything to an owner I mean after all he holds the purse strings and could tell his daughters what decisions to make. He can get fine and suspended but there will be people who will balk at that considering that doesn't hurt an owner much in the long run.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't really care, lol. He may have a **** ton of money, but you can't dock his team for his private life indiscretions when they had no connection at all to the team.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-20-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't really care, lol. He may have a **** ton of money, but you can't dock his team for his private life actions.
    Except his private life is affecting the team since he's got arrested and is going to rehab(allegedly) and his daughter has to take over a player does this and we aren't nearly as sympathetic (unless he's a good player).

Players get fined and suspended over games when they haven't even been charged for the same situation Irsay found himself in that doesn't affect the team?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Except his private life is affecting the team since he's got arrested and is going to rehab(allegedly) and his daughter has to take over a player does this and we aren't nearly as sympathetic (unless he's a good player).

Players get fined and suspended over games when they haven't even been charged for the same situation Irsay found himself in that doesn't affect the team?
    It's affecting the team but his team isn't related to the crime. I don't really know why this is so hard to understand. If Mark Cuban or Paul Allen go and get a DUI, you don't dock the Mavs or Blazers a bunch of draft picks. The punishment lies entirely outside of the team. Irsay himself could get fined/suspended by the league for personal misconduct, but to take any further action against his team which had nothign to do with the crime would be unprecedented, ridiculous, and uncalled for.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Booger McFarland(a blast from the past) weighs in

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And that falls in line with what I've been saying... fine him, suspend him. That's as far as it goes. The team will suffer no direct penalties other than "his absence". By the way, sorry "Booger", but I'd be shocked if he was banned for a year. Especially considering he wasn't drunk, if he truly blew a .01... didn't have any illegal drugs on him, except for some possibly unprescribed Valium, lol. (They said he had Schedule IV controlled substance, which is defined as having a "low potential for abuse"). I honestly don't see this entire thing going very far, assuming we've learned all there is to know. Just not a lot to go on. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the charges are lessened or dropped.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-20-2014 at 01:17 PM.

It's affecting the team but his team isn't related to the crime. I don't really know why this is so hard to understand. If Mark Cuban or Paul Allen go and get a DUI, you don't dock the Mavs or Blazers a bunch of draft picks. The punishment lies entirely outside of the team. Irsay himself could get fined/suspended by the league for personal misconduct, but to take any further action against his team which had nothign to do with the crime would be unprecedented, ridiculous, and uncalled for.
    The NFL did this to themselves with the conduct policy (which the NBA doesn't have) they put this on players and apparently management and the owners have to abide by it as well.

However this is the first time an owner has done this so yes Goodell has a tough decision to make here. Personally I don't see anything beyond a fine and suspension for him since he works for the owners after all however I do see why players would be resentful because if it were them there's a separate set of rules in place.

And that falls in line with what I've been saying... fine him, suspend him. That's as far as it goes. The team will suffer no direct penalties other than "his absence". By the way, sorry "Booger", but I'd be shocked if he was banned for a year. Especially considering he wasn't drunk, didn't have any illegal drugs on him, except for some possibly unprescribed Valium, lol. (They said he had Schedule IV controlled substance, which is defined as having a "low potential for abuse"). I honestly don't see this entire thing going very far, assuming we've learned all there is to know. Just not a lot to go on.
    He was charged with 4 felony counts of possession of a controlled substance so I'm guessing he had something on him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He was charged with 4 felony counts of possession of a controlled substance so I'm guessing he had something on him.
    Yea, like I said, Schedule IV controlled substance. Xanax, Soma, Valium. We're hardly talking cocaine. Unless they've changed their story and I missed it, but last time I read, it was Schedule IV "low potential for abuse".

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It could be something as "little" as taking non-prescribed Ambien/Lunesta.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This may shock a few since it is coming from me, but he has a history of addiction to pain killers. Shouldn't this be handled as an illness rather than a crime? "Sentence" him to long term treatment if you do anything (you=NFL). Make sure the sentence is for a truly effective period of time. I don't think 2 weeks at Betty Ford is nearly long enough to treat the psychosis. Two weeks may dry out the person but does not attack the cause of the addiction. Give him a large fine to quiet the wolves but to really help him, include long-term treatment.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This may shock a few since it is coming from me, but he has a history of addiction to pain killers. Shouldn't this be handled as an illness rather than a crime? "Sentence" him to long term treatment if you do anything (you=NFL). Make sure the sentence is for a truly effective period of time. I don't think 2 weeks at Betty Ford is nearly long enough to treat the psychosis. Two weeks may dry out the person but does not attack the cause of the addiction. Give him a large fine to quiet the wolves but to really help him, include long-term treatment.
    Except there's a slippery slope here yes he's an addict but that doesn't absolve someone of committing a felony. Which is what Irsay did with his DWI so that's why its being treated as a crime here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rsay/#comments

Ryan Grigson says Colts business as usual without Jim Irsay

With owner Jim Irsay in a treatment center after his arrest on DWI and drug charges, things can hardly be described as normal.

But Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson is trying to keep the focus on the football and not the sideshow.

Grigson told Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star that Irsay was helpful, but wasn’t so involved that he’ll be missed in terms of the day-to-day operations.

“I don’t know if many people really realize, but Jim is so experienced and so weathered in football experience, being around the game his whole life,” Grigson said. “But he’s never been a micromanager, never really meddled or anything like that. He really leaves football decisions up to myself and the head coach [Chuck Pagano] and really has been great in that respect.”

Asked specifically about his boss, Grigson said he had nothing but praise, adding “Everyone in the building loves the man and we’d all run through a brick wall for him. We just wish him a full and complete recovery. We’re all really pulling for him.”

Grigson emphasized the trust that Irsay put in him when he was hired gave him a solid base. And if you’re going to trust a man to help you move on from the Peyton Manning era, asking him to handle a draft while the boss is out of town doesn’t seem like an insurmountable task.

Mood

Except there's a slippery slope here yes he's an addict but that doesn't absolve someone of committing a felony. Which is what Irsay did with his DWI so that's why its being treated as a crime here.
    But as alluded to before, the DWI is a misdemeanor. Since we are talking about the cause being non-alcoholic, it will be somewhat difficult to prove that his erractic driving was a result of the pills found or that its not accidental. The four felonies hinge on if he has prescriptions for the pills or he doesn't have any other defense. There might be a "crime" here but we have to wait.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Those are valid points here but my point was just because he's an addict doesn't mean he didn't break the law I mean they did arrest the guy.

That's why this is being treated the way it is.

Mood

Those are valid points here but my point was just because he's an addict doesn't mean he didn't break the law I mean they did arrest the guy.

That's why this is being treated the way it is.
    My point is that there is a difference between being arrested for something and actually being charged for what you were arrested for. Then there's the challenge of a jury or judge convicting you if it even goes to trial. The story has just started, there may very well be damning information or series of events for Irsay or the arresting cops. Regardless of the aftermath or the punishment, the fact remains that he needs help that could needed until he dies. That applies for anyone facing addiction, if they have a dollar in their account or a billion.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

That may be so but that's never stopped the NFL from punishing players that were never charged with a crime by having them suspended for a few games. I don't get why an owner should be different even if he's an addict.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    There's no problem with treating it as an illness, but you can't discard the crime aspect of it. He was endangering people by his actions. Sure he was only going 10 MPH or whatever it was when he was caught, but we don't know where he had been driving before he entered that ritzy subdivision. At some point, he likely had to be on a fairy busy road doing a speed at which a wreck would cause injury. Badell will definitely make an example of him.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-21-2014 at 09:52 PM.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

can't it be both a crime (if convicted obviously) and an illness? if he'd gotten busted at his house, or he'd been the passenger, it'd be different. but the guy was (allegedly) driving under the influence. if he's found/pleads guilty he needs to be sentenced to treatment along with whatever other punishment they see fit.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    can't it be both a crime (if convicted obviously) and an illness? if he'd gotten busted at his house, or he'd been the passenger, it'd be different. but the guy was (allegedly) driving under the influence. if he's found/pleads guilty he needs to be sentenced to treatment along with whatever other punishment they see fit.
    I don't think anyone was arguing that the crime, or the fact that he was in that situation at all, should go unpunished. The punishment should not be "Mission Accomplished". He appears to have a severe personal problem that could very well stem from other personal problems like pain or depression. I personally don't care if the NFL throws the book at him, but selfishly I hope it's not something that would cause the Colts to ever leave Indianapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    I don't think anyone was arguing that the crime, or the fact that he was in that situation at all, should go unpunished. The punishment should not be "Mission Accomplished". He appears to have a severe personal problem that could very well stem from other personal problems like pain or depression. I personally don't care if the NFL throws the book at him, but selfishly I hope it's not something that would cause the Colts to ever leave Indianapolis.
    Nothing selfish about not wanting the Colts to get punished for Irsay's actions. To me it's very simple, this is a personal problem NOT a football problem. Any punishment should be designed to affect Irsay personally (fine + suspension) and hopefully help him get on the right track (Rehab+ drug testing). It would not be right for the NFL to punish the fans who spend money because of the owners personal problems.

I realize this wasn't the case with bountygate and spygate but those were football related and the NFL had no choice but affect the football operations of those teams to prevent other teams from engaging in that type of behavior. I don't think any other owner is going to start doing drugs because the Colts didn't lose a draft pick. This is fairly unprecedented.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think a fine, a suspension, and a permanent ban from Twitter would be great. If we can only get one I'll take the Twitter ban.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...irsay/6689971/

Kravitz: NFL should require drug testing for Colts owner Jim Irsay

Whatever Roger Goodell does to Jim Irsay – a fine and suspension seem like the minimum punitive actions at this point – the NFL commissioner must also protect the franchise and the franchise's fans.

And that means requiring Irsay to undergo random drug testing as a prerequisite to maintaining control of the Indianapolis Colts.

The bottom line is this: If Irsay remains in the throes of drug addiction, it's not fair to the franchise or its fans to have him in charge of the club, which is, after all, a billion dollar asset.

While it's understood that a football team is a private business first and foremost (as Baltimore fans found out in 1983), it's also a quasi-public enterprise. Every dollar Irsay has made over the years has come directly or indirectly from the fans who support his team or who helped him build Lucas Oil Stadium.

As taxpayers, as fans, we have the right to know that the person who is running the show is in his right mind – not some of the time, as has been the case during Irsay's tenure, but all the time.

13_SPCOLTS12.186573
    FILE - Colts owner Jim Irsay listens as Ryan Grigson talks with the media Jan. 11, 2012.(Photo: Matt Detrich / The Star)
    I am not a fan of drug testing for street drugs unless it involves people in safety-sensitive positions. But Irsay is in complete charge of a public trust, and those whose dollars have helped enrich him have the right to know that he's handling their team, and their dollars, with a clear mind.

When a player, such as Pat McAfee, has an alcohol-related indiscretion, he is forced to go through an entire after-care program, which includes a year or two of drug and alcohol testing. Irsay should not only be forced to submit to drug testing for a period of time, but for perpetuity, for as long as he wants to run the Indianapolis Colts.

This isn't done for punitive reasons. This is done to protect the franchise and the fans of the franchise.

A fine? Absolutely. If the late Bud Adams got $250,000 for flipping the bird at fans, what's Irsay's mistake worth? Half a million? A million? More? Executives should be held to a higher standard than the players. The bottom line is, he endangered his own life and the lives of others by getting behind the wheel while impaired. That is inexcusable.

A suspension? Absolutely. He should not be allowed to attend a couple of Colts games next year. Again, he put others at risk. A suspension would hurt a whole lot more than a fine; the Colts are Irsay's second love, right after his family, and being away from his franchise will be one of the toughest things he's ever done. But it's got to be done. (And yes, the Players Union is going to be watching Goodell very closely here, just to make sure he comes down as hard on one of his employers as he does on his players).

But the best thing Goodell can do – and he can do this – is require random drug testing.

If Irsay doesn't want to comply, or can't comply, he can give the team over to his daughter Carlie, who is handling his business while he's at a rehabilitation facility.

We saw how poorly the Colts were run when Irsay's father, Bob, was dealing with his alcoholic demons. While Jim has been a terrific owner by most accounts, what's to say that his addled condition wouldn't put the franchise in some kind of peril? What if he's not in his right mind and suddenly, foolishly decides to fire his front office or his coaching staff after an egregious loss?

Irsay isn't a do-nothing owner who sits in his office and listens to Eagles' CDs all day. He's very active in every conversation regarding the football team. True, he's been very good at hiring top football people and letting them take care of the football business, but he's much more than a simple rubber stamp.

He's the one who hired Bill Polian.

He's the one who hired Tony Dungy.

He's the one who jettisoned Peyton Manning and chose to draft Andrew Luck.

He is not Jerry Jones and has no aspirations of becoming Jerry Jones, but he's the final decision-maker.

You think about it, it's remarkable how well Irsay has run this franchise even while in and out of his addictive phases. I mentioned Polian, Dungy, Luck for Manning. The record under Irsay speaks for itself. Even in his worst times, like in the early 2000's and the last few years, he's still had the right instincts. Which tells me he's a very good football owner, regardless of his demons.

Just imagine him clean and sober.

Irsay has a responsibility to himself, his friends, his loved ones and Colts fans to get it right this time. He should know by now how lucky he is, gaining ownership of a football team and enjoying riches beyond most of our comprehension as a winner of the genetic lottery.

He's also fortunate he has the resources and the access to the best rehab treatment in the world. There are scores of troubled souls out there who have the same problems, but lack the wherewithal to get the help they need.

He is blessed, even if I'm quite sure it doesn't feel that way at this particular moment.

Goodell, though, has to do more than pummel him with a fine and a suspension. He has to think of the franchise and the franchise's fans. He has to hold Irsay accountable to the scores of people who have a right to know he's operating in a sober manner

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I think a fine, a suspension, and a permanent ban from Twitter would be great. If we can only get one I'll take the Twitter ban.
    I think sobering up would auto-fix the Twitter thing.