Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One can still be charged with OWI/DUI while under the effects of a medication for which he was prescribed legally. I see it quite a bit. The issue is now how impaired he was (and you are correct, this can and will probably be used in his defense, if he was legit prescribed the meds). One can correlate blood levels with a dose of drug and dosing regimen. So, with the help of a forensic toxicologist, they will be able to tell (with some caveats and assumptions) how inebriated he was and if his blood levels correlate with the prescribed medication regimen. Did he take too much medication? It will be able to be determined, if necessary. Of course, tolerance must always be taken into account.
    Also the defense can argue an unanticipated reaction to drug interaction IF we're talking legally prescribed meds. Having legally prescribed meds does give you a legal defense to an OWI charge if no other factors are there (like a .08 BAC). But a legal defense isn't the same as a get out of jail free card (it just means you have an argument that can be made). OTOH, a billion dollar nest egg will give you access to the best legal defense, including attorneys and experts, that money can buy. As well as an excellent PR firm to spin the story for the jury pool. And make sure that the doors are always open to political power brokers too.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    Apparently he checked into rehab last night. I hope he is able to have success defeating this.
    Listening to the talking heads, they're saying how wonderful this is and how strong Jimmy is for doing this and .....................

B.S.. He checked in because he got caught. He wouldn't have done this if he got home without incident last nite. The people that I have respect for are the ones that realize their problem by themself. Not with the assistance of the law. Didn't we hear about him going thru rehab 6-8-10 whatever years ago ?? And not too long ago, he tweeted that he hasn't had a drink in 15 years.

Yeah - sure Jimmy. Ok.

Whatever he goes thru has about a 5% chance of sticking.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Listening to the talking heads, they're saying how wonderful this is and how strong Jimmy is for doing this and .....................

B.S.. He checked in because he got caught. He wouldn't have done this if he got home without incident last nite. The people that I have respect for are the ones that realize their problem by themself. Not with the assistance of the law. Didn't we hear about him going thru rehab 6-8-10 whatever years ago ?? And not too long ago, he tweeted that he hasn't had a drink in 15 years.

Yeah - sure Jimmy. Ok.

Whatever he goes thru has about a 5% chance of sticking.
    A wakeup call is a wakeup call though.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    A wakeup call is a wakeup call though.
    Yeah. His wakeup call is the damage this does to whatever image he has left over and the image of the Colts.

Get the scriipt from the PR person: I'm sorry for what I have done, it's embarassing, it's a bad example, yada-yada ........... I just don't buy into it - pretty much when ANYBODY says it. Sadly, I say that from experience.

There are some that do recover and kudos to them. Addiction is a B.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    But it didn't leave the impression that the Indy SB did.

Again, it had nothing to do with the team. Taking draft picks away from the team is completely separate from 1 person getting into legal problems completely unrelated from the organization. League personal misconduct usually only results in personal fines and suspensions. They have stated he is subjected to the same rules. I really think you're taking it way farther than logically reasonable.

But you said it was a long time ago 8 years to me wasn't that long ago that was my point.

As for what the punishment will be for Jim apparently the Giants co-owner Steve Tisch thinks that the NFL will punish him what that means I don't know. All I do know is that fining him won't do anything and neither will suspending him it won't be much of a punishment and he'll go back to what he did before. My point of the draft pick or maybe taking away part of the Colts salary cap is that it will be something that won't go away so easily for him. I don't get how you can say the owner getting popped for a DWI is unrelated to the organization when he owns said organization and the people working for him have to put out statements and talk to the press about what may happen to him.

Personally I think he'll just get probation and a fine but it is a distraction for the Colts just like if any player got arrested.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...223505475.html

Report: Jim Irsay's daughter, Carlie, to take over Colts' day-to-day operations

Carlie Irsay-Gordon (middle) will take control of the Colts in her father's absence. (AP Photo/AJ Mast)
    Indianapolis Star columnist Bob Kravitz wrote a heartfelt plea for Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay to get help when he was arrested for driving under the influence, and Kravitz tweeted on Tuesday that Irsay will cede day-to-day control of football operations to his daughter, Carlie Irsay-Gordon, while the owner is in rehab getting help.

While Jim is in rehab, one of his daughters, Carlie, will fill Jim's role. Will sign off on trades, acquisitions, etc.
    — Bob Kravitz (@bkravitz) March 18, 2014
    So who exactly is Carlie Irsay-Gordon? She's the 33-year-old daughter of Jim and Meg Irsay — one of three from the couple (who divorced last fall) whom Jim has said previously will have equal shares of team ownership when he dies.

The most famous sister might actually be Casey Irsay, who is married to racecar driver A.J. Foyt IV.

But Irsay-Gordon, who has attended NFL owners meetings for nearly a decade, will be in charge while Irsay gets the help he needs. It will be interesting to see if she speaks at all at next week's owners' meetings in Orlando. Jim Irsay is typically very visible at the events, almost always stopping to speak to media members.

According to the bio on the team website, Irsay-Gordon interned with the Colts in the football and marketing departments while pursuing her undergraduate degree, later graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in religious studies with a minor in geoscience from Skidmore College in 2005.

She and her husband moved from Chicago to Indianapolis with their three children.

There has been speculation for the past few years that Jim Irsay might dial back his involvement in the team on a daily basis, even with as much as he loves the Colts. Perhaps Irsay-Gordon had been preparing for this day. Clearly, the team has faith in her abilities or she would not be overseeing this role.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Glad he checked in and is getting help. Hopefully his family stays strong and makes him complete it and not just go until this blows over. It is a shame it took this for him and his family to take his addiction seriously. I do not see how his family just ignored this as I am sure this is not the first time he has done this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Glad he checked in and is getting help. Hopefully his family stays strong and makes him complete it and not just go until this blows over. It is a shame it took this for him and his family to take his addiction seriously. I do not see how his family just ignored this as I am sure this is not the first time he has done this.
    Addiction + a ton of money is a really toxic combo and a lot of them hire enablers they probably didn't want to be cut out of the Colts fortune either.

Fortunately for Irsay if he's seriously committed to sobriety that is its not over because he's still alive can't say the same for Whitney Houston, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and so many others.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

When your star quarterback hurts his neck you lose a lot of games.
    When you lose a lot a games you fire your president.
    When you fire your president, you hire a first time general manager.
    When you hire a first time general manager you trade your first round pick for Trent Richardson.
    When you trade your first round pick for Trent Richardson you do drugs.
    When you do drugs you end up lost in front of Adam Vinateri's old house.
    Don't end up lost in front of Adam Vinateri's old house.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Except I think Irsay was doing drugs way before Manning was gone for the 2011 season. Although I can see why someone would be on drugs after watching that debacle.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Except I think Irsay was doing drugs way before Manning was gone for the 2011 season. Although I can see why someone would be on drugs after watching that debacle.
    Thanks for the buzzkill!!! Lol just kidding

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Pain medication has a rough road to recovery. From experience I was taking over 20 Vicodin a day for nearly a decade prescribed by my good old doctor at the VA hospital for injuries incurred while I was in the Army. The withdraws were very rough and I was so miserable I thought about ending it all. I got through it though and I pray that Jim will get better too. I had one relapse as well when I had shoulder surgery and was given Percocets, my Hydrocodone and Valium 6 times daily after shoulder surgery. That time I was able to do the weaning off myself after I had an incident of talking to a balloon for an hour thinking it was my daughter. I actually had the doctor ask me if one point we needed to switch to Oxycontin or Methadone and I saw the light and got as new doctor there and now I am down to six of the 5/325's a day now and am feeling much better. Even though most likely I will never be completely off of pain medication I am glad to say my quality of life has improved.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So just like a few of us have been saying... this won't impact the SB bid:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...espnapi_public

NFL: Irsay's arrest won't impact 2018 bid

March, 18, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has meant so much to the organization and city over the years.

But his arrest late Sunday night comes at a time when Indianapolis is trying to land the 2018 Super Bowl. Indianapolis is in the running with Minneapolis and New Orleans for the Super Bowl.

Irsay faces four preliminary counts of felony possession of a controlled substance.

"It will not impact the bid process," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "The NFL owners vote individually on the award of a Super Bowl after evaluating the presentations of each competing city."

There's an NFL owners meeting in Orlando, Fla., next week. They'll meet again in May to vote on which city will host the Super Bowl in 2018.

Indianapolis hosted the 2012 Super Bowl at Lucas Oil Stadium. The city got high marks for how well it hosted the event that ended with the New York Giants beating the New England Patriots.

Allison Melangton, president of Indiana Sports Corp. and the head of Indy's Host Committee for 2012 Super Bowl, issued a statement.

"Jim Irsay has created one of the best franchises in the NFL," she said in the statement. "He and the franchise have made immeasurable contributions to the City of Indianapolis and State of Indiana. We don't have any detailed information about the incident and it would not be appropriate to comment on this further."
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-19-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

So just like a few of us have been saying... this won't impact the SB bid:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...espnapi_public
    If by impact that I don't think the Colts weren't going to get it before this happened then yes I agree.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lol... I just respectfully disagree then, I'm not much in conspiracy theories and drama. It doesn't make sense that it would impact it, on a pure business-level, and then they come right out and concur with that sentiment. It's your choice to go chasing other theories.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I was never under the impression that Indy was going to get the 2018 bowl bid especially with New Orleans 300th anniversary(as if they didn't get an SB just a couple years ago but hey at least its not the Katrina excuse) and Minnesota building a new stadium. I see them getting preference over us.

Of course if they don't get the bid it will be spun because of Irsay's arrest when I don't believe it was a real factor to begin with.

Has nothing to do with a conspiracy theory its logic here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know I already didn't think we were going to get it, I've stated it. My entire point was that Irsay's drama would have zero impact on it, whether we had a chance or not. I was just getting the feeling from you that you didn't believe that. So if I read that wrong, then I apologize.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope Ir$ay gets the help he needs. You don't see Bobby Kraft or John Mara getting arrested while driving in an upscale subdivision.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I hope Ir$ay gets the help he needs. You don't see Bobby Kraft or John Mara getting arrested while driving in an upscale subdivision.
    They're just better at hiding it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    At least Jimmy never have his Super Bowl ring to Putin.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rsay/#comments

Steve Tisch believes Goodell will “make a statement” in disciplining Irsay

Plenty of NFL owners will be asked about the Jim Irsay situation when they gather in Orlando for the annual league meetings next week.

One got a head start on the process by talking to a guy on the street with a camera, from TMZ.

Giants co-owner Steve Tisch said he believes Commissioner Roger Goodell will take action in this situation.

“I feel he’s gonna do something, and I think he’s gonna make a statement,” Tisch told the unidentified reporter who tried to interrupt the surprisingly talkative Tisch several times during the 90-second-or-so session. “Again, you know, Jim’s got some felony charges against him.” (Four, to be exact.)

Tisch made it clear that he’s merely commenting on the league’s rules and precedents, not attacking or judging Irsay.

“Jim’s a great guy, and I think a lot of people are wishing him all the best,” Tisch said. “Certainly me included. And I think he’s getting the help that he needs, and it’s gonna make his life a lot better.”

To the extent a double standard is suspected regarding players and owners, Tisch doesn’t seem to believe two sets of rules will apply.

“An owner is just as vulnerable to disciplinary actions as a player,” Tisch said. “By putting ownership as well as coaches and players in the bylaws, it’s gotta be applied equally.”

It’s still unclear how to apply the rules equally between players and owners, especially when the owner has a net worth of $1.6 billion.

For a first-offense DUI, players routinely lose two game checks. Under that standard, maybe Irsay should lose two weeks of his own paycheck from the league, via the team’s share of TV and other revenue that gets carved up and divided among the 32 franchises.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    At least Jimmy never have his Super Bowl ring to Putin.
    I don't think Kraft "gave" it to him... Putin just flat out took it, lol.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...expensive-ring

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I don't think Kraft "gave" it to him... Putin just flat out took it, lol.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...expensive-ring
    Yeah, Putin lots to grab things.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...iscipline-him/

Dungy feels for Irsay, but says Goodell has to discipline him

Former Colts coach Tony Dungy felt terrible when he learned that his old boss, Jim Irsay, was arrested for driving while intoxicated and drug possession.

“I was heartbroken,” Dungy said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “I’ve known Jim Irsay for 13 years now. He’s a special guy to me — a person who is very self-sacrificing and would do anything for you. He did some unbelievable things for me, for my family, for the city of Indianapolis, and I just want him to do well. He’s struggling with some prescription painkillers and other medications — he made a big mistake. I was sad to see that but I’m hoping that this will be the silver lining in the cloud — he will reach out and get some help and grow from this.”

But while Dungy has sympathy for Irsay, he said there’s no doubt in his mind that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will hand down discipline, considering that Goodell has disciplined players, coaches and team executives who were arrested.

“I think they have to,” he said. “If the commissioner doesn’t step in with something I don’t think it will be good, so, yeah, something has to be done and hopefully everyone benefits from it.”

Dungy is right. We can simultaneously say that we hope Irsay gets the help he needs, and say that it’s totally unacceptable to get behind the wheel while intoxicated. Irsay deserves support while he gets that help, and he deserves the discipline he will surely get from Goodell.