Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still don't see why any logical person would flip their opinion of a SB in Indy because of this. He's a small part of the overall effort, if at all.
    I could see the NFL spinning it as their excuse to not give Indy the SB even though they probably weren't planning for it to begin with but it will be spun as "See Irsay's actions caused Indy to lose the SB bid" even though they probably weren't going to get it anyways.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why though. By all accounts, they loved having it in Indy. Doesn't make sense that they'd need an excuse.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think Indy will get this Super Bowl (has nothing to do with Irsay), and I honestly don't think we will get it for a long time. The NY one working out well opened the door for outdoor cold cities like Chicago, Boston, Washington, etc, to place bids. My guess is that there will be a rash of new cities bidding on Super Bowls. Cherish the memories from 2012 because it might be a long time before Indy gets it again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm okay with Indy not getting the SB I rather the Colts win it than host it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't think Indy will get this Super Bowl (has nothing to do with Irsay), and I honestly don't think we will get it for a long time. The NY one working out well opened the door for outdoor cold cities like Chicago, Boston, Washington, etc, to place bids. My guess is that there will be a rash of new cities bidding on Super Bowls. Cherish the memories from 2012 because it might be a long time before Indy gets it again.
    I wasn't under the impression NY did near as well as Indy.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Indy got rave reviews for its SB (thank you weather) and I'm willing to bet they might eventually get another one. But 2018 is NO's 300th anniversary so that won't happen, and the NFL will make up for it the following year by giving it to Minny's new stadium. It might be awhile.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I actually hope Minnesota does get a SB. I don't know the specifics, but I know the tax payers are paying for a majority of that stadium and they deserve it.

I wasn't under the impression NY did near as well as Indy.
    Maybe not, but it did well enough to ensure that other large outdoor cold markets will bid. A Super Bowl in Chicago would be hard to turn down.

Maybe not, but it did well enough to ensure that other large outdoor cold markets will bid. A Super Bowl in Chicago would be hard to turn down.
    Until someone gets shot that is.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Until someone gets shot that is.
    Don't have the time to look at the stats now, but I bet Indy is statistically more violent in 2014 than Chicago and that 2013 was close. Chicago obviously wins on totals because of size, but per capita it's pretty close. Not much crime takes place in the loop itself, just like most of indy's crime isn't downtown.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, Indy probably achieved that more than NY. Indy knocked it out of the park, opening the doors for any cold markets.

Honestly, Indy probably achieved that more than NY. Indy knocked it out of the park, opening the doors for any cold markets.
    Detroit, Minnesota who are cold markets also hosted SB's before Indy did and like Indy had indoor stadiums.

So now (some) talking heads and fans are saying the only way to punish the Colts for Irsay's mistake is to take away draft choices. Should be interesting to see where Goodell goes with this.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Detroit, Minnesota who are cold markets also hosted SB's before Indy did and like Indy had indoor stadiums.
    I know, but they were awhile ago and Indy sort of led the revival of cold market SBs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    So now (some) talking heads and fans are saying the only way to punish the Colts for Irsay's mistake is to take away draft choices. Should be interesting to see where Goodell goes with this.
    Once again... doesn't make any sense. The only recent occurrences of teams being docked draft picks, to my memory, were the "Gates" --- Spy Gate and Bounty Gate. Those were both incidents involving organization-wide efforts to cheat at the game of football for advantageous gain. Jim Irsay getting toasted on his own time in no way involved the team, nor the actual game of football. I just don't see that movement going anywhere.

About the most I see coming of this, assuming this is *all* that happened.... is Irsay gets fined and has to do some community service, possibly a ban from NFL activities for a month or two. Irsay on a personal level will probably be in some sort of rehab period during this. They'll hit him in his large pocketbook. He'll sober up. Everyone lives happily ever after.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-18-2014 at 12:53 PM.

The NFL needs to put a moratorium on SB games in New Orleans (and Miami) so that other cities have a more realistic shot of getting a SB. New Orleans has had their share... and then some...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The NFL needs to put a moratorium on SB games in New Orleans (and Miami) so that other cities have a more realistic shot of getting a SB. New Orleans has had their share... and then some...
    Yea, NO will be 300? Who cares? What's that gotta do with the NFL?

New Orleans doesn't need much of a reason to party. "New Orleans should get the Super Bowl in 2018 --- because today is Tuesday."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    The indystar article said there schedule IV prescription pills. According to the DEA website, that's mostly likely anti anxiety medicine like Valium or Xanax. Most painkillers are schedule II or III.
    Yes, Schedule IV substances include benzodiazepines, carisoprodol, phenobarbital, Z-drugs (zolpidem, zaleplon, zopiclone), phentermine, some other rarer stimulants.
    Last edited by Stryder; 03-18-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling

I know, but they were awhile ago and Indy sort of led the revival of cold market SBs.
    Detroit was 8 years ago not that long ago.

Once again... doesn't make any sense. The only recent occurrences of teams being docked draft picks, to my memory, were the "Gates" --- Spy Gate and Bounty Gate. Those were both incidents involving organization-wide efforts to cheat at the game of football for advantageous gain. Jim Irsay getting toasted on his own time in no way involved the team, nor the actual game of football. I just don't see that movement going anywhere.

It would be an actual punishment and show that others are affected by his actions fair or not. Fining him won't do much he's a billionaire who probably won't serve any jailtime either will probably get probation after he pleads guilty pays a fine and he'll go back to drugs after that. Suspending him won't either I mean he's still the owner regardless.

If Goodell goes soft on him he'll be shown as an empty suit(which I think he is regardless) I mean if a player does this there's not much sympathy for him being an addict and he'd be suspended for a few games whether he gets charged or not. If a player has to be held to that high a standard then what about an owner?

Regardless of my issues with Goodell I don't envy him here when it comes to making a decision.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 03-18-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    IF he really blew a .01 (or a blood test says .01) and IF he can come up with a prescription for the meds he had with him and was taking, then this will play out far differently than how it's currently charged.

I'm talking as in charges even potentially 'dropped'.....

If that .01 was a typo or misreported then that changes thing. OTOH, that would seem to back up Irsay's claims of not drinking in 15 years and would indicate he quite possibly hasn't fallen off the wagon in regards to alcohol. He could still be intoxicated on drugs. But if those drugs were legally prescribed that changes things in the eyes of the law and gives his attorney some serious ammo to fight the charges which is extremely helped by a .01 BAC.

Of course no prescription or illegal drugs and that changes things the other direction...
    One can still be charged with OWI/DUI while under the effects of a medication for which he was prescribed legally. I see it quite a bit. The issue is now how impaired he was (and you are correct, this can and will probably be used in his defense, if he was legit prescribed the meds). One can correlate blood levels with a dose of drug and dosing regimen. So, with the help of a forensic toxicologist, they will be able to tell (with some caveats and assumptions) how inebriated he was and if his blood levels correlate with the prescribed medication regimen. Did he take too much medication? It will be able to be determined, if necessary. Of course, tolerance must always be taken into account.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure on the State of Indiana, but that would be illegally possessing a controlled substance, in some states. I'm pretty sure IN uses a similiar statute. Here it is for Texas.

http://www.houstoncriminaldefender.c...ription-pills/

You could get charged with a controlled substance for having pills from an expired prescription.
    You most definitely can charge someone under these circumstances, but the charges won't stick. Any good defense attorney would get those dropped in a hot minute.

It would be an actual punishment and show that others are affected by his actions fair or not.

If Goodell goes soft on him he'll be shown as an empty suit(which I think he is regardless) I mean if a player does this there's not much sympathy for him being an addict and he'd be suspended.
    By that same token the player does get reinstated and will eventually play. The only way taking away a draft pick would be comparable is say the Colts lose a 4th rounder this year. However they are given back that 4th rounder (reinstated) the following year. Thus the Colts were punished by not having that player available for this coming season.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Nerd.
    Mood

What is still bewildering to me is that possession of a Schedule IV controlled substance (not Schedule I or II or III) is a felony, while operating while intoxicated (OWI) is a misdemeanor.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Detroit was 8 years ago not that long ago.
    But it didn't leave the impression that the Indy SB did.

It would be an actual punishment and show that others are affected by his actions fair or not. Fining him won't do much he's a billionaire who probably won't serve any jailtime either will probably get probation after he pleads guilty pays a fine and he'll go back to drugs after that. Suspending him won't either I mean he's still the owner regardless.

If Goodell goes soft on him he'll be shown as an empty suit(which I think he is regardless) I mean if a player does this there's not much sympathy for him being an addict and he'd be suspended for a few games whether he gets charged or not. If a player has to be held to that high a standard then what about an owner?
    Again, it had nothing to do with the team. Taking draft picks away from the team is completely separate from 1 person getting into legal problems completely unrelated from the organization. League personal misconduct usually only results in personal fines and suspensions. They have stated he is subjected to the same rules. I really think you're taking it way farther than logically reasonable.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-18-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Apparently he checked into rehab last night. I hope he is able to have success defeating this.