Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will be extremely disappointed if the Colts lose a draft pick over this. I have been a 10 year season ticket holder and have spent thousands over the years supporting the team and the NFL, not to mention the emotional investment. The loss of a draft pick would hurt the fans like us a lot more than Irsay himself. The NFL can throw the kitchen sink at Jim for all I care, but they shouldn't do anything that hurts the fans.
    I agree, a draft pick seems ridiculous. Hit him in his pocket book.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post

That shirt looks like he was out honky tonkin......maybe doin some boot scoot boogie.

IF he really blew a .01 (or a blood test says .01) and IF he can come up with a prescription for the meds he had with him and was taking, then this will play out far differently than how it's currently charged.

I'm talking as in charges even potentially 'dropped'.....

If that .01 was a typo or misreported then that changes thing. OTOH, that would seem to back up Irsay's claims of not drinking in 15 years and would indicate he quite possibly hasn't fallen off the wagon in regards to alcohol. He could still be intoxicated on drugs. But if those drugs were legally prescribed that changes things in the eyes of the law and gives his attorney some serious ammo to fight the charges which is extremely helped by a .01 BAC.

Of course no prescription or illegal drugs and that changes things the other direction...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I feel bad for Irsay, but not as bad as I would feel for some working class stiff that has the same problems. Irsay seems to have pretty much unlimited money and no day-to-day responsibilities, so if anyone can come back from this, it would be a guy with financial access to any rehab facility and the ability to make getting better his full-time job.

And I hate to be morbid, but what the hell would happen to the Colts if something bad happened to Irsay and he could no longer own the team?
    The team appears to be in good hands with his daughters who are all working with the Colts and are being groomed to take over the family business...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I am shocked that there are people on twitter who are shocked by this.
    No kidding. Anyone who's ever read his tweets could tell that he was on something.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    IF he really blew a .01 (or a blood test says .01) and IF he can come up with a prescription for the meds he had with him and was taking, then this will play out far differently than how it's currently charged.

I'm talking as in charges even potentially 'dropped'.....

If that .01 was a typo or misreported then that changes thing. OTOH, that would seem to back up Irsay's claims of not drinking in 15 years and would indicate he quite possibly hasn't fallen off the wagon in regards to alcohol. He could still be intoxicated on drugs. But if those drugs were legally prescribed that changes things in the eyes of the law and gives his attorney some serious ammo to fight the charges which is extremely helped by a .01 BAC.

Of course no prescription or illegal drugs and that changes things the other direction...
    I wonder how it works if he does have a prescription that hasn't expired that accounts for at least some of the medication. Even if he most likely took them all and got more from another source, that may be difficult to prove. Is there a law that says controlled medication has to be kept in their original bottles? I'm guessing that if he was in fact prescribed something, he would make sure to travel with the original bottle even if he was buying more them on the street, just in case he got caught. The legal ramifications aside, he needs help. Bob K is right, there's a life on the line here.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    That shirt looks like he was out honky tonkin......maybe doin some boot scoot boogie.
    Nah. It's an Affliction button-up.

You know you've got to be on something to pay $100+ on crap like that.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Keep it classy Jim.

With all that money you think this guy could afford to pay a driver when he wants to go out and have a good time. Thankfully, he did not kill anyone.
    yeh, no kidding. with all the crazy, crazy cash he's got- he should have a driver on his payroll 24/7 just for when he feels like partying and doesn't want to be arrested. just ridiculous.

You guys are assuming he was partying. He was just being who he is and has been.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...l-bid/6529331/

Expert says Jim Irsay problems won't hurt city's Super Bowl bid

A longtime consultant to cities and team owners on NFL issues said the arrest of Colts owner Jim Irsay will have little impact on the city's chances to land another Super Bowl.

NFL owners vote in May on the host city for the 2018 Super Bowl. Indianapolis is competing against New Orleans and Minneapolis.

"Whether the entire bid rises or falls because Jim may have the potential of a suspension by the commissioner — that's not the way the owners look at Super Bowl votes," said Marc Ganis, president of SportsCorp, a Chicago-based sports consulting firm.

KRAVITZ: Jim Irsay fighting for his life, needs help

HOLDER: Irsay's arrest could lead to discipline by NFL commissioner

"I could count on one hand — and still have fingers left over — the number of times the Super Bowl was granted to a city because of an owner."

Irsay was arrested Sunday night by Carmel police, who said he was driving under the influence and had multiple prescription drugs in his vehicle. Irsay faces four preliminary counts of felony possession of controlled substances. No formal charges had been filed as of 2 p.m.

Even before the incident, Ganis thought the odds were against Indy landing the 2018 Super Bowl. He thinks New Orleans will get the 2018 Super Bowl. New Orleans has hosted several Super Bowls and wants to use the event as part of the city's tricentennial celebration. Ganis thinks Minneapolis will get the 2019 Super Bowl as payback for building a publicly-financed stadium.

Irsay's ability to lobby the decision-makers is vital to Indy's chances, Ganis said.

"There's no greater cheerleader for Indianapolis than Jim Irsay," Ganis said. "That's the loss — if he can't be there and lobby the other owners fully."

Allison Melangton, president of the Indiana Sports Corp and head of Indy's Host Committee for the 2012 Super Bowl, issued a statement through a spokesman:

"Jim Irsay has created one of the best franchises in the NFL," the statement said. "He and the franchise have made immeasurable contributions to the city of Indianapolis and state of Indiana. We don't have any detailed information about the incident and it would not be appropriate to comment on this further."

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where's the public outcry and people not being Colts fans anymore because the owner is out of control? I guarantee if Simon had this happen during the bad Pacer years recently, the Pacers would've been pretty much done for sure.

Irsay shouldn't be so stupid, but it's not really a surprise to anyone that's seen him, heard him on twitter, etc.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Nah. It's an Affliction button-up.

You know you've got to be on something to pay $100+ on crap like that.
    Affliction needs to go the way of Ed Hardy and disappear.

Irsay really looks like hell for someone his age, I mean he looks older than my grandfather who admittedly looks somewhat young for his age but is still in his mid-late 70's and has never lived a remarkably healthy lifestyle.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

News blurb a bit earlier on WIBC said the pills in some of the bottles didn't match what was on the prescription label.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Where's the public outcry and people not being Colts fans anymore because the owner is out of control? I guarantee if Simon had this happen during the bad Pacer years recently, the Pacers would've been pretty much done for sure.

Irsay shouldn't be so stupid, but it's not really a surprise to anyone that's seen him, heard him on twitter, etc.

The story has been all over the national and local news, so I'd say it's been pretty embarrassing for the Colts. But as far as the Pacers are concerned, they put out a garbage product from 2004-10 that ran off their fans. If Hostess sold cupcakes with razors, then people would stop buying them. That's akin to the quality of Pacer basketball over that 6 year period. The Colts OTOH have an almost impeccable 15 year run of being one of the best run franchises in the NFL, which includes two Super Bowl appearances and a world championship. You reap what you sew, and the Colts have built up more than enough cred to easily absorb this. It's an embarrassing to Ir$ay, but the Colts will be unscathed. They are one of the best run organizations in sports.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post

There is a big difference between guys being involved in shootouts in downtown Indianapolis or at strip clubs versus the owner being high as a kite and going 10 mph in a car. Leave the inferiority complex at the door. The Pacers made their bed during that time and they had to sleep in it.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    News blurb a bit earlier on WIBC said the pills in some of the bottles didn't match what was on the prescription label.
    Could easily say that they are used up pill bottles, and he splits his pills up so he can make sure he has them handy. Its not an indication of any crime. If the guy has a prescription for those pills, doesn't matter what he totes them around in.

I think most people who abuse prescription drugs do not walk around with a pill bottle handy. They have them tucked away in ziplock bags in there pockets as to avoid any inquiry. Though most people are not billionaires either. So who knows what this cat does.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Could easily say that they are used up pill bottles, and he splits his pills up so he can make sure he has them handy. Its not an indication of any crime. If the guy has a prescription for those pills, doesn't matter what he totes them around in.

I think most people who abuse prescription drugs do not walk around with a pill bottle handy. They have them tucked away in ziplock bags in there pockets as to avoid any inquiry. Though most people are not billionaires either. So who knows what this cat does.
    I'm not 100% sure on the State of Indiana, but that would be illegally possessing a controlled substance, in some states. I'm pretty sure IN uses a similiar statute. Here it is for Texas.

http://www.houstoncriminaldefender.c...ription-pills/

You could get charged with a controlled substance for having pills from an expired prescription.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-17-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I am sure the league is going to make an example of him which will be something of the order that he is suspended and has no involvement with the team for a good period of time. Just the same as any player. He has daughters who can be the face of the team so the Colts will not be affected. There is no reason to lose draft choices such that the team is punished for a guy who is medically incompetent.

However he could get some jail time in a country club type facility or have to admit himself to a rehab center.
    Last edited by speakout4; 03-17-2014 at 06:51 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Behind closed doors I'm sure these things are being mentioned/discussed...

Nobody was injured
    No alcohol was involved
    Prescription meds are involved
    A legitimate medical procedure and rehab/recovery could be partially or fully to blame for falling off the wagon
    Charges and/or conviction would be a PR problem for the Colts that could include being an image problem for the city
    A conviction could lead to league sanctions that could hurt the team which would hurt the city
    And of course all of the good things the Colts have meant for the city will be mentioned as well as pointing out how charges and court would be a regular mention on Sunday football programs, Sunday football, Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, and Thursday Night Football as well as all of the cable sports programs. And it will be argued that negative PR for the Colts is negative PR for the city.
    A conviction, or prolonged legal battle, could negatively effect the city's SB bid

There will be talk of a vigorous defense against the charges. There will be talk of the costs of taking this to trial on taxpayers in light of the defendant's ability to mount a legal defense. There will be talk and offers of preemptively enrolling in rehab. Donations to public programs will be mentioned (and implied that will happen only if that money doesn't have to be deferred for legal expenses).

This all assumes Irsay doesn't destroy his own case on Twitter.....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Behind closed doors I'm sure these things are being mentioned/discussed...

Nobody was injured
    No alcohol was involved
    Prescription meds are involved
    A legitimate medical procedure and rehab/recovery could be partially or fully to blame for falling off the wagon
    Charges and/or conviction would be a PR problem for the Colts that could include being an image problem for the city
    A conviction could lead to league sanctions that could hurt the team which would hurt the city
    And of course all of the good things the Colts have meant for the city will be mentioned as well as pointing out how charges and court would be a regular mention on Sunday football programs, Sunday football, Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, and Thursday Night Football as well as all of the cable sports programs. And it will be argued that negative PR for the Colts is negative PR for the city.
    A conviction, or prolonged legal battle, could negatively effect the city's SB bid

There will be talk of a vigorous defense against the charges. There will be talk of the costs of taking this to trial on taxpayers in light of the defendant's ability to mount a legal defense. There will be talk and offers of preemptively enrolling in rehab. Donations to public programs will be mentioned (and implied that will happen only if that money doesn't have to be deferred for legal expenses).

This all assumes Irsay doesn't destroy his own case on Twitter.....
    No alcohol, no one got hurt, Irsay wasn't speeding, and did not act in a manner that indicated he would be a threat to anyone. I think this will be looked at more as a medical situation and i just don't see this as hurting the Colts that much. Yes there will be sanctions but irsay will bear the brunt rather than the Colts. Likely no SB but irsay's worst reputation is that he is an addicted twitterer rather than an arrogant fool. Most people will see this for what it is , a man addicted to prescription drugs and a good lawyer with a good PR firm will generate lots of sympathy for him.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Still don't see why any logical person would flip their opinion of a SB in Indy because of this. He's a small part of the overall effort, if at all.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Listening to a report on tv last evening said it wouldn't hurt Indy's chances at all, but Indy has a slim chance anyway. New Orleans is front runner to get it since they'v e held so many and it ties in with some anninversary down there. They didn't think we had much chance for the next one either as Minnesota is due a reward for building a new taxpayer funded stadium.

I just wish I could remember where I heard that.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

33. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah I can agree with that. It shouldn't hurt our chances much, but our chances weren't great to begin with.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.