Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 345

Thread: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

  1. #51
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet he fell off the wagon long before this incident.

    I suspected he was using again(or never really stopped)
    Second one.

    Look guys, the guy has really needed help for 20 years. The idea that he was recovered was never true. It was PR, and it ignored getting him help and it was irresponsible management at best and downright negligence at worst. I am glad he's finally gotten caught, it is for his own good. The guy is only 54 and he looks like he is about 65.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  3. #52

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Second one.

    Look guys, the guy has really needed help for 20 years. The idea that he was recovered was never true. It was PR, and it ignored getting him help and it was irresponsible management at best and downright negligence at worst. I am glad he's finally gotten caught, it is for his own good. The guy is only 54 and he looks like he is about 65.

    65 is generous.. I'd say 70s

    I was hearing chatter that Goodell could take a draft pick as a possible punishment. Which face it would be a far bigger blow than losing an SB bid.

  4. #53
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's just stupid if the entire community gets penalized with the Super Bowl after hitting it out of the park in 2012. Screw Goondell. I've always thought that Minny was going to get it bc of the new stadium, but still.
    He's the owner of the team man. He's supposed to be one of the NFL's main reps if they bring the bowl here again, you can't ignore this sort of thing. Especially with how anal the NFL is about their rep right now.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,331

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    65 is generous.. I'd say 70s

    I was hearing chatter that Goodell could take a draft pick as a possible punishment. Which face it would be a far bigger blow than losing an SB bid.
    If they would take our second round pick away that would a huge below to this team and our chances of making a run next year. The NFL is going to come down on us some how because of this. As TJ said Irsay is the main rep for the Colts and would of the major faces in the bid for the Super Bowl. Having that person driving 10 mph in a 35 high off anxiety drugs is just not something you can ignore.

  7. #55
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    I mean Irsay would almost certainly be part of the group repping INdy to the NFL in coming months for 2018, how do you roll him out there now? You can't. 2018 is dead IMO. Zero chance we get it now.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. #56
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,233

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    C'mon Jim.....drunk driving is never right.....but of all the counties to do it in? I get harassed around here for jogging at night for crying out loud. Police will make up stories to have a reason to stop you. Don't tell me I'm wrong. I know there are good ones, but the ones I've encountered are mostly power hungry a**es.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:


  10. #57
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,046

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's the owner of the team man. He's supposed to be one of the NFL's main reps if they bring the bowl here again, you can't ignore this sort of thing. Especially with how anal the NFL is about their rep right now.
    Does bountygate hurt New Orleans when they bid for Super Bowls? Does the NFL tell NBC that Al Michaels can't broadcast the Super Bowl because of his DUI? It would be silly for the NFL to penalize Indy because of this.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  12. #58
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does bountygate hurt New Orleans when they bid for Super Bowls? Does the NFL tell NBC that Al Michaels can't broadcast the Super Bowl because of his DUI? It would be silly for the NFL to penalize Indy because of this.
    I really don't know how the owner of the Saints was involved in bounty gate, but an owner who is addicted to prescription drugs and has erratic behavior seems like a different situation.

    You can't trust Jim Irsay in front of a camera as an NFL representative right now if you're the league. Frankly it would be the first good decision they've made about their rep in a long time.

    Irsay is a great winner, but this is the kind of dice you roll with him as your owner.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  14. #59

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    C'mon Jim.....drunk driving is never right.....but of all the counties to do it in? I get harassed around here for jogging at night for crying out loud. Police will make up stories to have a reason to stop you. Don't tell me I'm wrong. I know there are good ones, but the ones I've encountered are mostly power hungry a**es.
    I agree with this I was pulled over in Carmel I kept my cool though and played nice but it was broad daylight and they made up some lame excuse that I was "swerving" between lanes(even though I never changed lanes at all) they let me go but yeah I don't have a high regard for the Carmel PD

  15. #60
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't know how the owner of the Saints was involved in bounty gate, but an owner who is addicted to prescription drugs and has erratic behavior seems like a different situation.

    You can't trust Jim Irsay in front of a camera as an NFL representative right now if you're the league. Frankly it would be the first good decision they've made about their rep in a long time.

    Irsay is a great winner, but this is the kind of dice you roll with him as your owner.

    It's not like Irsay hosts the SB himself or even owns Lucas Oil Stadium. He's just a tenant. It's hosted by the city, put together by a committee, and if Irsay is part of that committee (I honestly can't remember), he's only one person on it. There's no real logical reason why this would impact our SB bid as a city.

    Hell, if he truly was a member of the 2012 committe and was high as a kite, you can't argue against the results, lol.... it was a phenomenal Super Bowl.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  17. #61

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    I see Bob didn't waste much time writing this one

    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...-help/6523925/

    Kravitz: Jim Irsay fighting for his life, needs help

    In a twisted way, Jim Irsay's friends have been praying for this day. They've been praying for the day when he'd reach rock bottom and be forced to come to terms with a drug problem that he's battled for some time.

    "He's a sick, sick man,'' one source told me. "He desperately needs help.''

    There was a sad inevitability to what happened Sunday night in Carmel. Irsay faces four felony counts after being arrested on preliminary charges of driving under the influence and possession of a controlled substance. For years, Colts insiders have known that Irsay was struggling again with drugs. For years, they fought to get him into rehabilitation. At the very least, they fought to get him a driver in the hopes of keeping away from getting behind the wheel.

    IRSAY: Colts owner faces four felony counts after DUI arrest

    REACTION: Local, national media on Irsay's arrest

    The Colts have been cleaning up Irsay's messes for years now. Time and again, Irsay dismissed the concerns of his close friends and confidantes, even if his increasingly gaunt physical appearance sent up red flags throughout the community.

    I asked him two months ago about his weight loss, which has brought him from 235 pounds to 165 pounds, and he insisted that the doctors wanted him to lose weight to keep the strain off his troublesome back and hip.

    I suspected otherwise.


    Those of us who are around Irsay on a semi-regular basis suspected otherwise for a very long time.

    So why didn't you write it?

    That's a fair question. But it's much like the baseball players during the steroid era. Suspicions cannot be the basis for news stories. My feeling all along has been, "Unless he gets arrested for drugs, or acts erratically in a public setting while obviously under the influence, it will remain nothing more than an educated guess.''

    Now he's been arrested.

    The game has changed.

    He has two big problems, besides the obvious drug issue: He's crazy rich and he has lots of free time. That is a dangerous cocktail for a man with a genetic predisposition to substance abuse.

    That doesn't make him a bad man, just a troubled one, one who has been in and out of rehab on multiple occasions, one who needs to get himself some help again if he wants to be alive for the Colts next Super Bowl.

    This is not written in anger. It's written with compassion – although if he'd hurt someone while driving, it would take on a different tone. This is a man in the throes of addiction, a disease he's been fighting for years and years with mixed results.

    Now comes the wake-up call.

  18. #62
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,046

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't know how the owner of the Saints was involved in bounty gate, but an owner who is addicted to prescription drugs and has erratic behavior seems like a different situation.

    You can't trust Jim Irsay in front of a camera as an NFL representative right now if you're the league. Frankly it would be the first good decision they've made about their rep in a long time.

    Irsay is a great winner, but this is the kind of dice you roll with him as your owner.
    It doesn't matter if the Saints owner personally knew about that stuff. All that matters is that the organization itself was viewed by the league of flagrantly violating the integrity of the game, and then was handed some of the stiffest penalties ever. The organization had a tremendous black eye. But I don't think anyone cares about that when the city hosts the Super Bowl, nor should they.

    How many times did Ir$ay speak publicly during the Super Bowl two years ago? I don't remember him doing it much, if at all. All people care about is the two teams playing and the city itself. No one really cares about the franchise who makes a home in the host city. Two years ago was a bit of an exception because Manning was going out the door and his bro was playing, so naturally people were interested. But I don't remember seeing much of Woody Johnson or John Mara this year when it was in NY/NJ.

  19. #63
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not like Irsay hosts the SB himself or even owns Lucas Oil Stadium. He's just a tenant. It's hosted by the city, put together by a committee, and if Irsay is part of that committee (I honestly can't remember), he's only one person on it. There's no real logical reason why this would impact our SB bid as a city.
    He is the owner of the host team. I'm not saying the NFL couldn't remove him from consideration (easy enough to say that Jim is not allowed on TV during the super bowl week), but I think they will definitely consider it and they probably should. Sucks, but what can you do.

    Either way, super bowl or not, I hope Irsay finally gets some real help.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. #64
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,615

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    I feel bad for Irsay, but not as bad as I would feel for some working class stiff that has the same problems. Irsay seems to have pretty much unlimited money and no day-to-day responsibilities, so if anyone can come back from this, it would be a guy with financial access to any rehab facility and the ability to make getting better his full-time job.

    And I hate to be morbid, but what the hell would happen to the Colts if something bad happened to Irsay and he could no longer own the team?

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  22. #65

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    After the good week that we had last week it sucks that this is going to be the big talking point. I think this is the best thing because now maybe he is forced to get some help. Everything I've heard about him is that he's a really likable and nice guy, and he does great things for the fanbase and community. I hope he gets help
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  23. #66

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    How many times did Ir$ay speak publicly during the Super Bowl two years ago? I don't remember him doing it much, if at all. All people care about is the two teams playing and the city itself. No one really cares about the franchise who makes a home in the host city. Two years ago was a bit of an exception because Manning was going out the door and his bro was playing, so naturally people were interested. But I don't remember seeing much of Woody Johnson or John Mara this year when it was in NY/NJ.
    And that's when we heard from Irsay and well to a lesser extent Manning you know how he was going to stay here if he was healthy(even though Irsay made up his mind to let him ago long before that but I digress) and then we found out that Manning was medically cleared that was more of a focal point than the actual teams playing(and that's saying something since it was the Pats/Giants) And of course Rob Lowe's tweet about Manning retiring so yes we did hear from Irsay that week.

  24. #67
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,646

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is the owner of the host team. I'm not saying the NFL couldn't remove him from consideration (easy enough to say that Jim is not allowed on TV during the super bowl week), but I think they will definitely consider it and they probably should. Sucks, but what can you do.

    Either way, super bowl or not, I hope Irsay finally gets some real help.
    There's not really a host team. The city hosts it. I know what you're saying... but when the SB is in Miami, you don't relate the Dolphins to the SB. You relate it to Miami and the stadium. The host team has nothing to do with it, except they play there. The effort is so much bigger than the host team... the entire city takes on the responsibility and the profit.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  25. #68

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel bad for Irsay, but not as bad as I would feel for some working class stiff that has the same problems. Irsay seems to have pretty much unlimited money and no day-to-day responsibilities, so if anyone can come back from this, it would be a guy with financial access to any rehab facility and the ability to make getting better his full-time job.

    And I hate to be morbid, but what the hell would happen to the Colts if something bad happened to Irsay and he could no longer own the team?

    $$ doesn't cure addiction it has to come from within. Until he fixes that nothing will work.

    Putting that aside I think at one point Irsay almost lost the team for something similar and then he went to rehab and was supposedly better.

    I'm guessing if its not taken away from him his daughters would run it.

    If he loses the team entirely yeah that's a good question who would come and save the team from leaving Indy at that point.

  26. #69
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,047

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    I'm not disagreeing that Indy is much more involved than the Colts, but we know that often **** flows down hill. Well the owner of the team just had a pretty big flub and it's going to be fresh in everyone's minds when they sit down soon.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  27. #70
    Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,823

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    I will be extremely disappointed if the Colts lose a draft pick over this. I have been a 10 year season ticket holder and have spent thousands over the years supporting the team and the NFL, not to mention the emotional investment. The loss of a draft pick would hurt the fans like us a lot more than Irsay himself. The NFL can throw the kitchen sink at Jim for all I care, but they shouldn't do anything that hurts the fans.

  28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:


  29. #71
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,046

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $$ doesn't cure addiction it has to come from within. Until he fixes that nothing will work.

    Putting that aside I think at one point Irsay almost lost the team for something similar and then he went to rehab and was supposedly better.

    I'm guessing if its not taken away from him his daughters would run it.

    If he loses the team entirely yeah that's a good question who would come and save the team from leaving Indy at that point.

    The team isn't leaving Indy under any circumstances. They have one of the most lopsided stadium deals in the entire planet. That's the thing about Irsay. He might be troubled, but the Colts have done nothing but thrive under his watch, both financially and on the field.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  31. #72

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will be extremely disappointed if the Colts lose a draft pick over this. I have been a 10 year season ticket holder and have spent thousands over the years supporting the team and the NFL, not to mention the emotional investment. The loss of a draft pick would hurt the fans like us a lot more than Irsay himself. The NFL can throw the kitchen sink at Jim for all I care, but they shouldn't do anything that hurts the fans.
    I think that's a realistic possibility I mean if Goodell goes soft on him he won't hear the end of it (of course that's never stopped him before) I mean its not like the Broncos execs last off season you could suspend them they don't own the team they're employees.

    He's an owner the only way to hurt him is either take away the SB bid or lose a draft pick. Nothing else will do it(I don't think he'll serve any time for this just get probation and a hefty fine)

    We the fans are collateral in all of this

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  33. #73
    Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,823

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's a realistic possibility I mean if Goodell goes soft on him he won't hear the end of it (of course that's never stopped him before) I mean its not like the Broncos execs last off season you could suspend them they don't own the team they're employees.

    He's an owner the only way to hurt him is either take away the SB bid or lose a draft pick. Nothing else will do it(I don't think he'll serve any time for this just get probation and a hefty fine)

    We the fans are collateral in all of this
    I can't say I disagree with anything you said but I will still feel betrayed if this happens.

  34. #74

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving



  35. #75

    Default Re: Irsay in jail for suspected drunken driving



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •