Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Indiana Fever Thread

Default Re: 2014 Indiana Fever Thread

A record setting debut for Natasha Howard!

First-round draft pick Natasha Howard had a notable pro debut on Friday. She scored 16 points on 6-of-16 shooting and added 10 rebounds, three steals, two assists and six blocked shots. The blocks tied the Indiana franchise record and set a new standard for blocks by a rookie. She became only the second rookie in Fever history ever to record a double-double.
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/previ...am-140517.html

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

The results of the 2014 GM survey are in. It's a fun read. I didn't read all the text on the front page, I just clicked on the result categories.
    http://www.wnba.com/news/2014_wnbacom_gm_survey.html

Natasha Howard was great again tonight. But she needs to improve her free throw shooting. Bad team FT shooting cost us the game.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Natasha Howard was great again tonight. But she needs to improve her free throw shooting. Bad team FT shooting cost us the game.
    That, and vets you would expect to be steady played careless, Z in particular. It was interesting to see Dunn ride Carter for the majority of the second half and OT. I was wondering why we didn't see more Coleman in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    The results of the 2014 GM survey are in. It's a fun read. I didn't read all the text on the front page, I just clicked on the result categories.
    http://www.wnba.com/news/2014_wnbacom_gm_survey.html
    Kind of dumb that Cheryl Reeve was voted the top coach. Must be hard coaching all those Olympians.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

New backup center.
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/fever...al-thomas.html

Fever Waives Jasmine Hassell; Signs Krystal Thomas

Official Release | May 19, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Fever has waived second-year forward Jasmine Hassell and signed free agent center Krystal Thomas, it has been announced by Fever President and General Manager Kelly Krauskopf.

Hassell spent most of the 2013 season with Indiana and appeared in its first two games of 2014.

Thomas is a 6-5 center out of Duke who spent the past three WNBA seasons between Phoenix and Seattle, averaging 3.7 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. Originally drafted by the Storm in 2011, she was signed by the Mercury late in her rookie season. She started 25 of 29 games in 2012, and appeared in all 34 games last season for Phoenix. After a coaching change, she was waived when Phoenix finalized its roster last week.

Thomas brings size to a post rotation that includes Tamika Catchings, Erlana Larkins, standout rookie Natasha Howard and 6-4 reserve power forward Lynetta Kizer.

Erlana Larkings grabbed 22 rebounds today as the Fever picked up a rare win in Atlanta, 82-77 in OT.

Fever beat the Sun 79-65 in Katie Douglas's return to Indianapolis tonight. KT has been playing more minutes than any Connecticut starter so far, but she hasn't been shooting well. With the Sun currently 1-4 and in a state of flux, I'm wondering if she regrets leaving the Fever. But with her numbers so far maybe the Fever are better off?

Is it time to be worried about Tamika yet?

The Fever don't seem to be. Four straight wins now after starting 0-3, with a 64-61 win in Washington tonight. Avenges a 16-point home loss to the Mystics two weeks ago.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Kind of dumb that Cheryl Reeve was voted the top coach. Must be hard coaching all those Olympians.
    And not having to hear a band of psychopaths behind the Minnesota bench in Indiana on a regular basis....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am pretty excited. I am working a camp up near chicago and we are taking the kids to the Sky game tomorrow. I get the chaperon duties, I was so excited to find out the Skyy play the Fever.

I watched the Sky play the Sparks a few weeks ago, Candance Parker is so nasty. She plays like Boris Diaw with a lot more explosiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I am pretty excited. I am working a camp up near chicago and we are taking the kids to the Sky game tomorrow. I get the chaperon duties, I was so excited to find out the Skyy play the Fever.

I watched the Sky play the Sparks a few weeks ago, Candance Parker is so nasty. She plays like Boris Diaw with a lot more explosiveness.
    It's too bad Delle Donne is currently out because of Lyme disease. If you haven't seen her play and are still around the Chicago area, check her out when she comes back. Special player. Absolutely ridiculous shooter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It's too bad Delle Donne is currently out because of Lyme disease. If you haven't seen her play and are still around the Chicago area, check her out when she comes back. Special player. Absolutely ridiculous shooter.
    Yepp everyone was out tonight Catch, Fowles, and Delle. When Delle played vs the Sparks she had a career high. She is pretty flawed on defense, but a lot of that is due to the cross matched she is forced to play.

It was a nail biter tonight the Fever hung on. Not the best basketball tonight, but a good strong finish.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I understand the versatility comparison, but I'd say the WNBA version of Boris Diaw is more like Janel McCarville.

I was really impressed with the fight from the Fever last night against Minny, even though they lost. Christmas and Larkins were just relentless. It's interesting to see that Coleman and Carter have basically dropped out of the rotation to make way for Lucas and Clarendon. I initially thought Marissa would play a huge role here because of her versatility in lineups, but I think the coaches realized she probably looks for her shot too much considering how inconsistent it is. When Maggie came into the league, the opposing team tried to isolate her on D a lot, but I thought she did a great job against the stronger and savvy Whalen last night, particularly in the 3rd quarter. If she can continue to develop into a capable defender, with her outside shooting, she can be a very good player for the Fever. Also, I know Dunn has been trying to mold Layshia into a PG for a couple years now, but I really don't think it's going anywhere.

Overall, we're in a good place right now. As long as we have a playoff spot, home court or no home court, once Catch gets back we'll be a contender in the East. The fact that we've had to push Lucas into more minutes right now will pay off in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I understand the versatility comparison, but I'd say the WNBA version of Boris Diaw is more like Janel McCarville.

I was really impressed with the fight from the Fever last night against Minny, even though they lost. Christmas and Larkins were just relentless. It's interesting to see that Coleman and Carter have basically dropped out of the rotation to make way for Lucas and Clarendon. I initially thought Marissa would play a huge role here because of her versatility in lineups, but I think the coaches realized she probably looks for her shot too much considering how inconsistent it is. When Maggie came into the league, the opposing team tried to isolate her on D a lot, but I thought she did a great job against the stronger and savvy Whalen last night, particularly in the 3rd quarter. If she can continue to develop into a capable defender, with her outside shooting, she can be a very good player for the Fever. Also, I know Dunn has been trying to mold Layshia into a PG for a couple years now, but I really don't think it's going anywhere.

Overall, we're in a good place right now. As long as we have a playoff spot, home court or no home court, once Catch gets back we'll be a contender in the East. The fact that we've had to push Lucas into more minutes right now will pay off in the postseason.
    I really like Maggie, I was excited when Phoenix (one of the WNBA teams I root for) drafted her, but the Mercury have an over abundance of shooters, and she would have gotten lost in the shuffle. I'm glad she's on a good place with the Fever.

This draft class was really good. Chiney and Hartley have been fantastic. Shoni and Sims have been really good. McBride, Dolson, Howard, Thomas, Gatling and Liston have been solid. When Grey and Anchonwa join this class it'll be incredibly deep..(especially considering players like Lucas and likely Bias who could develop into pretty good players from the second round.)

I'm not sure if there are any stars like last seasons Diggins, EDD, and Griner..but I see a bunch of potential All Stars.

Players like Elena Delle Donne seems to be a current trend in Women's basketball. Penny Taylor really was a similar player before Delle Donne came on the scene, although she was/is a much more physical player. (Stewart, the best High School player also has a similar game.) I'm not sure what NBA player would be an adequate comparison. Sort of..slow oversized guards that end up playing power forward.
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-24-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Sports Logo

I really like Maggie, I was excited when Phoenix (one of the WNBA teams I root for) drafted her, but the Mercury have an over abundance of shooters, and she would have gotten lost in the shuffle. I'm glad she's on a good place with the Fever.

This draft class was really good. Chiney and Hartley have been fantastic. Shoni and Sims have been really good. McBride, Dolson, Howard, Thomas, Gatling and Liston have been solid. When Grey and Anchonwa join this class it'll be incredibly deep..(especially considering players like Lucas and likely Bias who could develop into pretty good players from the second round.)

I'm not sure if there are any stars like last seasons Diggins, EDD, and Griner..but I see a bunch of potential All Stars.

Players like Elena Delle Donne seems to be a current trend in Women's basketball. Penny Taylor really was a similar player before Delle Donne came on the scene, although she was/is a much more physical player. (Stewart, the best High School player also has a similar game.) I'm not sure what NBA player would be an adequate comparison. Sort of..slow oversized guards that end up playing power forward.
    Agreed. This is one of the deepest drafts I can remember. I like Maggie too because you can tell she's just an absolute gym rat. You know she'll work to shore up her weaknesses and continue adding to her game.

Btw, Birdie's back! First to 4,000 and 2,000. Almost at 1,000 rebounds. She's been my favorite player to watch over the years (right up there with Catch), so watching her come back like this has been awesome... and I'm sure you agree

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Agreed. This is one of the deepest drafts I can remember. I like Maggie too because you can tell she's just an absolute gym rat. You know she'll work to shore up her weaknesses and continue adding to her game.

Btw, Birdie's back! First to 4,000 and 2,000. Almost at 1,000 rebounds. She's been my favorite player to watch over the years (right up there with Catch), so watching her come back like this has been awesome... and I'm sure you agree
    Sue is the reason I'm a basketball fan in the first place. So yes..very.. Although she isn't my favorite basketball player any longer (Would probably make the top 5 though.) She's my idea of the perfect point guard.

And it's getting to the point where she's like Kobe or Manu for me. I'm trying to catch as many games as I can of hers because I know she's getting closer to retirement.

Sports Logo

Sue is the reason I'm a basketball fan in the first place. So yes..very.. Although she isn't my favorite basketball player any longer (Would probably make the top 5 though.) She's my idea of the perfect point guard.

And it's getting to the point where she's like Kobe or Manu for me. I'm trying to catch as many games as I can of hers because I know she's getting closer to retirement.
    I hope she gets a real shot at another championship before she retires. I figure she has at least two years left barring another serious injury, but still... that Lynx dynasty out West makes it tough.

Out of curiosity, who's your top five (in the W I mean)? I'd go Sue, Becky Hammon, Catch, EDD and CP3. With an honorable mention to Bri

Speaking of CP3 though... what a disaster out in LA. So much talent, but where's the urgency? You'd think after that defeat in the playoffs last year that they'd come back hungrier than ever. Did they make too many changes? Or have they just started to tune out Carol Ross?

Pretty epic collapse by the Fever tonight, losing at home to Tulsa in overtime after leading by 11 with 3:35 to go and being up 4 with 11 seconds left.

Catchings' back must be awfully sore to keep her out this long.

I hope she gets a real shot at another championship before she retires. I figure she has at least two years left barring another serious injury, but still... that Lynx dynasty out West makes it tough.

Out of curiosity, who's your top five (in the W I mean)? I'd go Sue, Becky Hammon, Catch, EDD and CP3. With an honorable mention to Bri

Speaking of CP3 though... what a disaster out in LA. So much talent, but where's the urgency? You'd think after that defeat in the playoffs last year that they'd come back hungrier than ever. Did they make too many changes? Or have they just started to tune out Carol Ross?
    I mean, LA has two huge issues. Their interior defense and their shooting. I'm not sure why they surround Parker with guards that can't shoot. It's such a fundamental aspect of basketball. You gotta be able to put the ball in the basket..and LA's guards can't do that. I expect them to be significantly better when Toliver gets back, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. Their interior defense..I'm not sure if CP3 is laterally slow or lazy, but it's easy for team's to score on her. She obviously makes up for it, but the combination of it being easy for team's to score in the post and poor shooting is not good.

I'd love to see Sue and Lauren get one more go at it..but with Minnesota and Phoenix (plus, I'm not sure that Lauren will ever be back.) I doubt it'll happen.

My top 5 would be Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Bria Hartley, Penny Taylor, Skylar Diggins...I think.....there's a lot of honorable mentions..Erin Phillips, Hammon, Bri, Toliver, Griner, I'm sure Shoni will find herself on there..loved her in college.

Skylar has a way of stealing games. The Fever were just her latest victims. (I would know..Uconn was a victim of that for three freaking years.)
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-25-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Humm, so what is you take on the Lucas trade at this point in the season?
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Humm, so what is you take on the Lucas trade at this point in the season?
    Good trade for all, I think. Especially Lucas.

Lucas is one of the best pure shooters in women's college basketball history. I think she was over 50% in some of seasons of her college career. Crazy numbers for a guard that isn't the most athletic and was taking quite a few shots. It's never a bad thing to have a great shooter. So, Indiana certainly won there.

Phoenix? She wasn't going to make the team. Not because she isn't a good player, but they needed a backup point guard more have cap issues and she didn't have a guaranteed contract. They have Taurasi, Taylor, Phillips, and Jekabson..all great shooters. So they got a little something back for her, and gave her a real opportunity. They did the same thing for Leilani Mitchell years ago.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good trade for all, I think. Especially Lucas.

Lucas is one of the best pure shooters in women's college basketball history. I think she was over 50% in some of seasons of her college career. Crazy numbers for a guard that isn't the most athletic and was taking quite a few shots. It's never a bad thing to have a great shooter. So, Indiana certainly won there.

Phoenix? She wasn't going to make the team. Not because she isn't a good player, but they needed a backup point guard more have cap issues and she didn't have a guaranteed contract. They have Taurasi, Taylor, Phillips, and Jekabson..all great shooters. So they got a little something back for her, and gave her a real opportunity. They did the same thing for Leilani Mitchell years ago.
    Yeah I guess she really does not get many minutes so it is hard to really figure out what type of role she can have in the future, So just to make sure she was a 2nd round pick and we traded her for a 2nd correct? if she were just going to be dropped I guess we could have still traded away Phillips for a future pick and signed her before she signed overseas.

Either way I guess it was a need for us after the injury.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah I guess she really does not get many minutes so it is hard to really figure out what type of role she can have in the future, So just to make sure she was a 2nd round pick and we traded her for a 2nd correct? if she were just going to be dropped I guess we could have still traded away Phillips for a future pick and signed her before she signed overseas.

Either way I guess it was a need for us after the injury.
    I believe so. And really, a second round pick in this draft is worth far more than a second round pick in the next class. Someone as good as Lucas would probably be a lottery pick in next years draft. I guess Indiana could have waited for her to be waived, but that would be a little risky, and she really is a pretty good player, it was just that she was in the wrong place in Phoenix. (And Phoenix picked her because she was the best player available.)

Sports Logo

I mean, LA has two huge issues. Their interior defense and their shooting. I'm not sure why they surround Parker with guards that can't shoot. It's such a fundamental aspect of basketball. You gotta be able to put the ball in the basket..and LA's guards can't do that. I expect them to be significantly better when Toliver gets back, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. Their interior defense..I'm not sure if CP3 is laterally slow or lazy, but it's easy for team's to score on her. She obviously makes up for it, but the combination of it being easy for team's to score in the post and poor shooting is not good.

I'd love to see Sue and Lauren get one more go at it..but with Minnesota and Phoenix (plus, I'm not sure that Lauren will ever be back.) I doubt it'll happen.

My top 5 would be Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Bria Hartley, Penny Taylor, Skylar Diggins...I think.....there's a lot of honorable mentions..Erin Phillips, Hammon, Bri, Toliver, Griner, I'm sure Shoni will find herself on there..loved her in college.

Skylar has a way of stealing games. The Fever were just her latest victims. (I would know..Uconn was a victim of that for three freaking years.)
    Which is weird because between CP3, Nneka, Gruda and Lavender, you'd think they'd have one of the best bigs rotations in the league, at least on paper. Rebounds, points in the paint, these are things they should be dominating every night. Agreed about their outside shooting though.

I don't think Lauren comes back either. She just had another surgery, right? I think she just focuses on int'l ball from here on, and plays overseas to stay fit, since that's where the money is.

Bria to me looks like the best player from this draft. She was a steal. I know Chiney is a double double machine, but having a point guard with that confidence and shot making ability is a game changer. She doesn't play like a rookie. She sees the floor and feels the tempo like a vet.

As for Really?'s question about Lucas, I think she can have a Katie Douglas-like impact on this franchise. Her shooting is already there, team defense awareness is improving. The next step for her in the offseason is to improve her handle so she can use her outside shooting threat to lure the defense in and break them down off the dribble when they get too close.

Also about Phoenix and LA, whatever happened to Sammy Prahalis? It seems like all these teams that cut her were in need of abilities that she should provide? Something non-basketball related, right? Because she was a pretty good rookie. I blame Evan Turner.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 06-26-2014 at 02:54 AM.