Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Indiana Fever Thread

Default Re: 2014 Indiana Fever Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which is weird because between CP3, Nneka, Gruda and Lavender, you'd think they'd have one of the best bigs rotations in the league, at least on paper. Rebounds, points in the paint, these are things they should be dominating every night. Agreed about their outside shooting though.

I don't think Lauren comes back either. She just had another surgery, right? I think she just focuses on int'l ball from here on, and plays overseas to stay fit, since that's where the money is.

Bria to me looks like the best player from this draft. She was a steal. I know Chiney is a double double machine, but having a point guard with that confidence and shot making ability is a game changer. She doesn't play like a rookie. She sees the floor and feels the tempo like a vet.

As for Really?'s question about Lucas, I think she can have a Katie Douglas-like impact on this franchise. Her shooting is already there, team defense awareness is improving. The next step for her in the offseason is to improve her handle so she can use her outside shooting threat to lure the defense in and break them down off the dribble when they get too close.

Also about Phoenix and LA, whatever happened to Sammy Prahalis? It seems like all these teams that cut her were in need of abilities that she should provide? Something non-basketball related, right? Because she was a pretty good rookie. I blame Evan Turner.
    Yea, LA's post rotation should be better. But Parker's never been particularly good at defense.

I'm biased with Hartley, so I won't go there. But I'll just say that I always thought she was one of the most underrated Uconn players ever, even by the fanbase. When she would play against Sims, Diggins, McBride etc..she often outplayed them, even if her team lost. She wasn't really a typical Uconn guard though.

From what I've heard, Sammy has some personality issues. And, as fun as she can be too watch, she's too little and light to guard anyone, and her vision is obstructed. A lot of the smaller players are at least solid, Sammy's the size of a normal girl. (I think she's like 5'4 125lb) And she's not incredibly athletic. The size probably hinders her more than the personality issues. And then she's not the best shooter either.

Really tough to watch the Fever lately. A lot of fouling and a lot of turnovers. January had as many turnovers tonight (8) as Phoenix's entire team.

In both losses this week, the Fever had double digit leads in the second half. Without Catchings, they just can't seem to finish.

Anyone know why Natasha Howard hasn't been playing much lately?

During the game last night they said that Catchings is practicing. Sounds like she'll be back soon.

Sports Logo

Gritty win in Atlanta last night. That was right up there with our road win in DC a month or so ago. Plus, it's always good entertainment when we can throw Angel off her game and frustrate her. It feels like a healthy rivalry is brewing between these two teams. From watching how physical that game was last night, you get the feeling the Fever wouldn't mind running into this Dream team in the playoffs, especially with Catch back.

I'm looking forward to attending the game in DC tonight. Hopefully we can keep this win streak going and improve our playoff positioning against a Mystics team that's right there with us in the standings.

The return of Tamika Catchings was spoiled by yet another fourth quarter collapse. Up by 13 with 5:35 to go, the Fever got outscored 17-3 the rest of the way and lost by one.

Five losses this year when leading by at least 10 at some point in the game.

Sports Logo

Catch in vintage, throwback, classic "watch me do it all!" mode in Tulsa tonight. 23 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks and no turnovers. Oh yeah, and 1 game winner. Such a joy to watch this woman play basketball. So much heart, so much passion, so much toughness. Fever reclaim 2nd in the East.

If that's the Catchings we get for the rest of the season, there's plenty of reason to be excited.

The Fever were in the midst of yet another fourth quarter collapse tonight, after leading by 13 at the start of the fourth. A 24-11 Tulsa run and three Fever technicals later and the game was tied. Catchings must have felt like the shackles finally came off when she made that game winner.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Disappointing performance from the Fever last night. The Fever played as if they were at home and having Catchings back would cause Atlanta to lay down and die.

Atlanta is the best rebounding team in the league, but with that said they outworked us all night. The zone to open things up in the 2nd half was good, wish Lin would have tried this when we were getting drilled in the 2nd quarter.

Dunn put a terrible lineup on the floor (five bench players) at the start of the second quarter and Atlanta went on an 18-3 run. The starters cut a 21 point deficit to 10, and Dunn put the same group back in only to watch Atlanta regain control. Not one of her better games.

The race is on for the #2 seed in the East. Fortunately the Fever are in a good spot in terms of tiebreakers.

Sports Logo

I initially thought Connecticut won the Tina Charles trade by getting Chiney and AT, but I didn't expect Connecticut to be this good so soon. With Bentley at the point, the Sun has a great point-wing-big core to build around for years to come. Great job by them for the quick rebuild.

I initially thought Connecticut won the Tina Charles trade by getting Chiney and AT, but I didn't expect Connecticut to be this good so soon. With Bentley at the point, the Sun has a great point-wing-big core to build around for years to come. Great job by them for the quick rebuild.
    They need a new coach though.

The Fever just don't have the playmakers they had 2 or 3 years ago. Just amazing how a team can blow so many double digit leads and fall apart in crunch time.

Also, I can't remember the Fever ever being this bad at home. Now 1-6 in the last seven at BLF.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    The Fever just don't have the playmakers they had 2 or 3 years ago. Just amazing how a team can blow so many double digit leads and fall apart in crunch time.

Also, I can't remember the Fever ever being this bad at home. Now 1-6 in the last seven at BLF.
    It took a truly heroic, MVP-like performance from the best player in the world to drop the Fever tonight. Candace was just unstoppable. She's hitting tough shots even after puking on the court and twisting her ankle pretty badly.

And the funny thing is, this could be one of the most talented Fever teams in recent memory, top to bottom. I think it's just a matter of having it all click. Gotta remember Catch has only played five games, and right when Catch comes back, January goes down. One is the heart and soul of the team, and the other is an All-Defensive standout.

That said, one of our biggest weaknesses is at backup point guard, and Bri's injury only highlights that further. We need a floor leader with the second unit, someone who can get us into our sets so we're not scrambling and running late into possessions. I've said it before, but I really don't see Clarendon as a point guard. She's more of a scorer.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 07-16-2014 at 04:44 AM.

http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/all_access_140717.html

A conversation between DT and Catch.

I'd be willing to bet that GM/Coach pairing would win a lot.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

(Anyone else get really excited when they see new posts in this thread? No one ever comes in here so seeing new posts is like )

Thanks for the share, Sookie. Two of the greatest to ever do it. I only wish that convo was longer.

That was a much-needed win at home against Chicago tonight, not just for the standings but to turn the tide with our awful home record. Catch was vintage Catch once again. I have no worries about our starting line up. I think they can play with anyone with Catch leading the way on offense and our signature defense locked in. The problem is the bench. The offense stalls and sputters out, players stand around, the ball sticks and before you know it we're forced into a poor shot with the shot clock at 3. If we can't have a floor general type point guard, we need to find a way to get more movement to create more opportunities. We have the talent on the bench, just gotta get them flowing together.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 07-18-2014 at 02:55 AM.

(Anyone else get really excited when they see new posts in this thread? No one ever comes in here so seeing new posts is like )

Assuming the Fever make the playoffs, there will probably be a lot more posts then. During the 2012 Finals it was like an actual game thread.

During Tuesday night's game, Rebecca Lobo was asked what team she felt had the best chance of getting the 2 seed in the East. She picked Chicago. I know Delle Donne being out has really hurt them, but she must be watching a different Sky team. They are seriously a mess right now.

Sports Logo

During Tuesday night's game, Rebecca Lobo was asked what team she felt had the best chance of getting the 2 seed in the East. She picked Chicago. I know Delle Donne being out has really hurt them, but she must be watching a different Sky team. They are seriously a mess right now.
    Yeah, that was puzzling. I think she was betting on EDD returning, but right now I don't know how likely that is since the symptoms can be so unpredictable. Piph, to me, doesn't even look like she wants to be there. She's in neutral at best. Sylvia Fowles is an absolute monster but she doesn't have any help. I think if anyone can overtake the Fever for the 2nd spot, it'll be Connecticut.

Assuming the Fever make the playoffs, there will probably be a lot more posts then. During the 2012 Finals it was like an actual game thread.

Yea, she must think EDD will be back. I wouldn't bet against Indiana. Heck, as good as Atlanta is, it wouldn't even surprise me if Indy beat Atlanta in the ECF.

Granted, whichever team wins that just wins the right to get slaughtered by Minny or Phoenix.

BTW. Glad someone watched that. DT and Catch are an interesting pair. The funny thing is, despite being on a different team and a different college, those two (and Bird) have sort of become a trio of a generation of women's bball players because of Team USA. It seems like they all want to go one more round together on Team USA. (I doubt very much Geno would still be the coach if Diana and Sue weren't planning to be a part of the team.)

Imagine the basketball player you could create if you could combine DT and Catch. Whatever flaw one has is the other's strength.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Yea, she must think EDD will be back. I wouldn't bet against Indiana. Heck, as good as Atlanta is, it wouldn't even surprise me if Indy beat Atlanta in the ECF.

Granted, whichever team wins that just wins the right to get slaughtered by Minny or Phoenix.
    I don't know, if Indiana beats Minnesota once there in a prospective Finals matchup, BLF will get downright raucous and I'm pretty sure there will be band of psychopaths behind the Minnesota bench raising hell with CHHHHHHHERRRRRRRRYYYYYYYLLLLLLLLL again.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

BTW. Glad someone watched that. DT and Catch are an interesting pair. The funny thing is, despite being on a different team and a different college, those two (and Bird) have sort of become a trio of a generation of women's bball players because of Team USA. It seems like they all want to go one more round together on Team USA. (I doubt very much Geno would still be the coach if Diana and Sue weren't planning to be a part of the team.)

Imagine the basketball player you could create if you could combine DT and Catch. Whatever flaw one has is the other's strength.
    Minny looks as beatable as ever in this Maya-Mone-Whalen era. Seimone's knee seems like a chronic, nagging thing. I don't know how she'll hold up in a potential WCF against Phx, but then again, in a three game series... you know she'll tough it out and she might just get hot. As great as Maya is, I think Taurasi can go shot for shot with her in the big games. She loves those moments. And I think Phx is deeper this year with Penny looking revitalized and Griner making huge strides. If the Fever can't win it, and if Sue can't win it (much less make the playoffs first), watching DT win another one would be pure joy.

DT and Catch feel like completely different personalities to me. I don't know how well they would get along outside of basketball or without basketball to unite them. But they can respect each other because they share this unrivaled passion for the game, this hunger to be the best and they both leave it all on the court. It'll be a sad day when these two (plus Sue) hang it up...

Minny looks as beatable as ever in this Maya-Mone-Whalen era. Seimone's knee seems like a chronic, nagging thing. I don't know how she'll hold up in a potential WCF against Phx, but then again, in a three game series... you know she'll tough it out and she might just get hot. As great as Maya is, I think Taurasi can go shot for shot with her in the big games. She loves those moments. And I think Phx is deeper this year with Penny looking revitalized and Griner making huge strides. If the Fever can't win it, and if Sue can't win it (much less make the playoffs first), watching DT win another one would be pure joy.

DT and Catch feel like completely different personalities to me. I don't know how well they would get along outside of basketball or without basketball to unite them. But they can respect each other because they share this unrivaled passion for the game, this hunger to be the best and they both leave it all on the court. It'll be a sad day when these two (plus Sue) hang it up...
    Yea, to be honest, I think it's Phoenix's to lose this season. (And probably until DT and Penny start showing their age.) With Griner becoming the best center in the league, it's just lethal to have that with DT. And then you have Penny playing close to what she did before her knee injuries, and Dupree is as smooth as can be. Plus, having Erin coming off the bench will be huge in the playoffs, IMO. She's shown she can be huge. Offensively, this team is playing like The Spurs with the ball movement, player movement, and shooting.

But I do agree that if Minny some how gets past Phoenix, then they can be beaten. But I'd have to imagine that if they get past Phoenix, they'd look a lot less beatable.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the WNBA all star game is more entertaining than the NBA all star game.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    I think the WNBA all star game is more entertaining than the NBA all star game.
    The second half was fantastic. I usually root for the West, but Shoni had me rooting for her today. Her and Skylar were fantastic.

It was also nice to see Sue, Katie, and Tamika all play well.

Kind of funny that the East won when everyone and their brother on RebKell acts like the East is a JV conference compared to the West.

Anyone else breathe a sigh of relief every year when this game ends and Catchings is uninjured? I know that nobody plays defense in All-Star games, but I'm always afraid she's going to land awkwardly or blow out a knee on a drive to the hoop. She's had horrible luck with injuries over the years and at the worst possible times.

I think you meant to say, if Atlanta wins they'd get slaughtered by Minnesota or Phoenix. The Fever actually look like they belong in the Finals when they get there. Atlanta is 0-9 in three appearances.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post: