Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Indiana Fever Thread

Default 2014 Indiana Fever Thread

We traded Erin Phillips!!!

Someone needs to evaluate this trade for me!

Fever Lands Additional First Round Pick and Post Player In Trade with Phoenix
    Indiana Owns No. 5 and No. 9 Selections in Upcoming WNBA Draft

Official Release | March 11, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Fever has acquired a first-round draft pick and power forward Lynetta Kizer from the Phoenix Mercury in a trade announced today that sends combo guard Erin Phillips to Phoenix along with Indiana’s second-round pick in the upcoming WNBA Draft.

The Fever adds the No. 9 pick in the draft to go with the No. 5 choice it already owns, marking only the second time in franchise history the club will own two first-round selections. The Fever’s No. 5 pick is its highest since 2005. Phoenix receives the 17th overall pick with its second-round pick from Indiana.

“I want to thank Erin for all she did for our franchise,” said President and General Manager Kelly Krauskopf. “She is a tremendous professional both on and off the court. She played an integral role in helping us win a WNBA Championship in 2012. I wish her nothing but continued success.”

Krauskopf continued, “Erin is going into the final year of her contract and this trade allows us to bring in another young player through the draft, as well as add a young post player with Lynetta Kizer. Lynetta is a 6’4” post player who can score inside and out. She gives us significant help with interior scoring and rebounding.”

A power forward who starred at the University of Maryland, Kizer begins her third WNBA season in 2014. She is an athletic, dominant rebounder who averaged 9.9 minutes per game in 27 games with the Mercury last summer. She split her rookie campaign between Tulsa and Phoenix after a third-round draft selection in 2012. Kizer currently plays for European power Good Angels Kosice in Slovakia. Since joining the club in the past month, she averages 8.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in the Middle European League, and 12.5 points with 7.5 boards in EuroLeague competition.

“We are excited to welcome Lynetta Kizer, a young physical post player who can play the 4 or 5 spot for us,” said Fever coach Lin Dunn who is scheduled for induction in the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in June. Echoing Krauskopf’s sentiment, Dunn added, “We appreciate all that Erin did for our franchise and we wish all the best in Phoenix.”

Phillips enters her seventh WNBA season which included a starring role on the Fever’s 2012 WNBA championship team. She played three seasons in Indiana, but missed much of the 2013 season with knee problems.

After opening training camp April 27, the Fever hosts a preseason game with the Washington Mystics on Monday, May 5 (12:00 p.m.). The Fever opens the regular season at Chicago on May 16 before hosting its home opener against the Atlanta Dream on Saturday, May 17 (7:00 p.m.)
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/fever...e_phoenix.html

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 Indiana Fever Thread

Are we allowed to play without an Aussie?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

As a Phoenix Mercury fan..thanks for Erin.

Maybe Indiana can get Hartley? I'm not sure if she'll be around at 9, but she's one of my all time favorite Huskies.

Katie Douglas signs with Connecticut.

Time for the Fever to rebuild.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...agent/6821677/
    Last edited by Strummer; 03-24-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Katie Douglas signs with Connecticut.

Time for the Fever to rebuild.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...agent/6821677/
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Sad, but completely the right decision by Indiana.

There's a lot of quality combo guards in this year's draft and Indy has two picks in the top 10. Katie is a 34 year old vet with injury concerns. She wasn't worth the max contract. I can't blame her for taking it, but it was the right call from Indiana's perspective.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Sad, but completely the right decision by Indiana.

There's a lot of quality combo guards in this year's draft and Indy has two picks in the top 10. Katie is a 34 year old vet with injury concerns. She wasn't worth the max contract. I can't blame her for taking it, but it was the right call from Indiana's perspective.
    That's why rather than
    BillS

Sad to see her go, but understand it was necessary. Douglas is damaged goods at this point, and even though she helped the Fever reach the Finals she's never really been able to shake the stigma that she tends to disappear in the postseason.

I'm interested to see what the Fever do with two first round picks. #5 is the team's highest pick in almost ten years.

Chicago signed Jessica Breland. I thought she played well for us last year.
    http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/3/27...ee-agency-2014

And Jessica Davenport appears to be retiring.
    http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/3/24...rom-basketball

The Fever signed free agent G/F Marissa Coleman. Says she was a restricted free agent.
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/versa...ith-fever.html

Versatile Forward Marissa Coleman Signs Free Agent Deal with Indiana Fever

Official Release | March 28, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Fever has signed veteran forward Marissa Coleman to a multi-year contract. Coleman was a restricted free agent who has spent five WNBA seasons between Washington and Los Angeles. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed.

Coleman is one of the WNBA’s most versatile forwards and posted her best season in 2011 when she averaged 8.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game with the Mystics. Traded to the Sparks prior to the 2012 season, Coleman was a part of playoff teams in Los Angeles the past two seasons. She averaged 4.6 points in 2013 while playing behind league MVP Candace Parker.

PHOTOS: Marissa Coleman Career Gallery »

“Marissa helps us spread the floor with her perimeter shooting and size from the wing,” said President and General Manager Kelly Krauskopf. “She adds depth to our back court. We are very happy to have her in Indiana.”

A 6-1 guard-forward, she can play interior and perimeter positions and should bolster the Fever’s versatility. Last season, she was one of the league’s top shooting small forwards, hitting 40 percent from 3-point range and 43 percent overall. A career 36 percent 3-point shooter, Coleman should help spread the floor on offense, with the absence of shooting guards Katie Douglas and Erin Phillips.

The second overall pick in the 2009 WNBA Draft, Coleman was selected by Washington behind top selection Angel McCoughtry and ahead of college teammate Kristi Toliver. During an All-America career at Maryland, Coleman helped the Terrapins to a national title as a freshman in 2006, and became the first player in Atlantic Coast Conference history with 2,000 career points, 1,000 rebounds, 400 assists, 200 steals, and 100 blocks.

She recently completed play in South Korea where she and the KB Stars advanced to the semifinals of the league tournament. She averaged 6.0 points and 3.4 rebounds over 36 games last winter. She has previously played overseas in Italy, Hungary, France and Spain.

Indiana opens training camp April 27, prior to hosting a preseason game with the Washington Mystics on Monday, May 5 (12:00 p.m.). The Fever opens the regular season at Chicago on May 16 before hosting its home opener against the Atlanta Dream on Saturday, May 17 (7:00 p.m.)

Re-signed restricted free agent Erlana Larkins. It's interesting that they list her as PF in the story. I thought she played (undersized) center for us.
    http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/erlan...-to-fever.html

Sports Logo

Sad to see Katie and Erin go, they brought us some great memories over the years. I'll always be thankful for their time here.

I love the Marissa Coleman pickup, though. A versatile forward who can defend and knock down the three? Yes, please.

I want Alyssa Thomas at 5. She's going to be a perennial all-star. Of course, that's considering she even drops to 5. But if she's there...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    Sad to see Katie and Erin go, they brought us some great memories over the years. I'll always be thankful for their time here.

I love the Marissa Coleman pickup, though. A versatile forward who can defend and knock down the three? Yes, please.

I want Alyssa Thomas at 5. She's going to be a perennial all-star. Of course, that's considering she even drops to 5. But if she's there...
    The problem with that is that Thomas, Coleman, and Tamika are all similar players. I guess the Fever could play them at the 1, 2, an 3..and obviously if Thomas is there at 5, she'll likely be the best player available. (Unless teams get really stupid.) But that's a lot of talent that all does the same thing. Indiana needs post players and guards.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    The problem with that is that Thomas, Coleman, and Tamika are all similar players. I guess the Fever could play them at the 1, 2, an 3..and obviously if Thomas is there at 5, she'll likely be the best player available. (Unless teams get really stupid.) But that's a lot of talent that all does the same thing. Indiana needs post players and guards.
    Well, let's see.

Bri and Z are locks for the 1 and 2. Clarendon can play some 1. Karima and Pohlen can play the 2. And as you said, even Coleman and Thomas could rotate there if we want to go bigger.

Catch can play 3 or 4. Pohlen can play some 3. Coleman and Thomas can play both.

Larkins is our 5. I'm very interested to see what Kizer can bring to the table, but I agree that it looks like bigs are our biggest weakness right now.

The great thing about this roster is how they're so versatile that it really opens us up to take the best player available at 5 and even 9. It's depressing to think about, but Catch is 34 with a lot of miles on her body and with the way she leaves it all out there every game... we've got to start laying the foundation for the future as well. Thomas, to me, is the ideal pick to have Catch mentor and mold in her image.

PS...with the 5th and 9th pick, The Fever could conceivably take Dolson and Hartley. (The question is really whether Hartley lasts that long). If the Fever does this, I'll officially have an East Coast team.

Sports Logo

The first two picks are probably a lock with Chiney and Odyssey. It could get interesting if SA takes Dolson at 3, Laimbeer then takes McBride at 4... leaving Thomas for us

Sports Logo

One pick away... ugh. I don't know too much about Howard.

What a coup for Connecticut though. To rebuild with Chiney and Alyssa in the same draft... I honestly think they won that trade. Let's see if Cappie and Tina can co-exist.

And how about Bria to Seattle? Great opportunity to learn under Sue. No better mentor for point guards in this league, and a fellow Husky nonetheless. Geno stories on team trips for days.

HUGE fan of Achonwa at 9. Here's to a speedy and full recovery.

Seems like we might have drafted two PFs.

Here's what the Fever web page had to say about them in a prospect ranking:

7. Natasha Howard, Florida State
    Long, athletic, not as demanding or as confident as she should be in calling for ball on the block; runs the best of all post players in draft; will defend and rebound; in space and with the way game is officiated with the three-second rule on defense, she will score in 1-on-1 situations; I think her basketball IQ is better than being advertised and she will work her butt off to be a great pro.

11. Natalie Achonwa, Notre Dame
    Athletic, international toughness, good handle, good passer, good scorer from low block; smart player and someone who will handle a high-level scouting report; has trail 3 potential in the W.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/ident...014-draft.html

Here's a Natasha Howard video that goes along with this article:
    http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/3/11...natasha-howard

I know she's injured this season, but Natalie is a fantastic pick up.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's a Natasha Howard video that goes along with this article:
    http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/3/11...natasha-howard

Cool that she can put the ball on the floor, and she has really good footwork, I think her defensive presence will be really good.

Also I am excited about Natalia hopefully she is healthy enough and can make the team, that injury at the end of the season, probably made her fall down a few slots. I think she will be a hard worker for us once healthy.
    Why so SERIOUS

Michelle Voepel gave the Fever an A for the draft.

Indiana: A

Florida State forward Howard has upside by the bushels, and she'll apprentice with a great teacher in Tamika Catchings. Dunn hopes Howard can progress to where she'll be a player who at least resembles the likes of Catchings, Minnesota's Rebekkah Brunson and Atlanta's Sancho Lyttle.

"We felt like she was not only what we needed, but also the best player available at [the fifth spot]," Dunn said of Howard. "With her athleticism and length, she's a big that can run the floor just about better than anybody in the draft."

And with the No. 9 pick, the Fever were very happy they could get Achonwa of nearby Notre Dame. She just suffered an ACL injury in the NCAA tournament and won't be able to play until 2015, but the Fever can afford to wait for her.

"The key thing for us is to get some post help," Dunn said. "We've looked at the 2015 draft, and it's not very good. Achonwa, if she were in that draft, would go top three or so."
    http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/1...-way-draft-day

Here's my take on the depth chart pre-camp.

• PG Briann January

• Layshia Clarendon
      • Jennifer Schlott

• SG Shavonte Zellous

• Jeanette Pohlen
      • Haiden Palmer

• SF Marissa Coleman

• Karima Christmas
      • Jennifer George

• PF Tamika Catchings

• Natasha Howard
      • Jasmine Hassell

• C Erlana Larkins

• Lynetta Kizer
      • Ziomara Morrison

Red Shirt: Natalie Achonwa

My predicted cuts in italics.
    Rookies in bold.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's my take on the depth chart pre-camp.

• PG Briann January

• Layshia Clarendon
      • Jennifer Schlott

• SG Shavonte Zellous

• Jeanette Pohlen
      • Haiden Palmer

• SF Marissa Coleman

• Karima Christmas
      • Jennifer George

• PF Tamika Catchings

• Natasha Howard
      • Jasmine Hassell