Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bynum Makes Big Impact (Mark Montieth article)

Default Bynum Makes Big Impact (Mark Montieth article)

I bolded a few things that caught my eye. Lot's of praise from his teammates. There are interview videos if you follow the link.

Bynum Makes Big Impact
    by Mark Montieth | askmontieth@gmail.com

March 11, 2014

He's listed at 285, five pounds less than Roy Hibbert. He's listed at 7-foot, two inches shorter than Hibbert.

But something's wrong here. Andrew Bynum is so big, Hibbert could pass for his younger brother. Bynum is so big, the Pacers are going to have to either invent a new nickname for him, or downsize Hibbert's.

“He's huge,” Paul George said after Bynum's encouraging debut with the Pacers Tuesday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. “He's bigger than Roy. We call Roy the Big Dawg, but Bynum's probably bigger than Roy.”

No, he is bigger than Roy. Has to be, regardless of what the roster stats show.

“Humongous,” David West said. “He's enormous. I'm glad he's on our side.”

Bynum officially joined the Pacers' side in their streak-busting 94-83 victory over Boston, and wasted no time making an impression – a big impression on those fans in attendance, who had yet to see him in uniform. A quick impression, too.

Entering the game to an eager ovation with 4:22 left in the first quarter, Bynum wasted no time making his presence felt. He cleared room for David West to score on a driving left-handed shot in the lane on his first offensive possession. He scored on a dunk on his second, and then he grabbed a rebound on the other end. Two offensive plays later, he scooted a bounce pass from the left block to West on the right wing for a driving layup.

It went on like that, and by the time the period ended Bynum had contributed four points, five rebounds and an assist in his 262 seconds. He finished the game with eight points on 3-of-4 shots and 10 rebounds in 15:37. Many questions remain to be answered, but the opening act was as encouraging as it was intriguing.

The bench, which had contributed just four points in the previous game, a loss at Dallas, scored 31 points in this one. Bynum was a major part of that, because his mere presence created opportunities for fellow second-unit scoring threats Luis Scola (11 points on 5-of-7 shooting) and Evan Turner (nine points on 4-of-4 shooting).

Asked how Bynum should best contribute to the Pacers, West had a quick answer.

“His ability to command a double-team,” he said. “I don't know if it gets more simple than that. The NBA is about advantages, and if you've got a guy who can get two (defenders) to the ball before he even makes a move …”

That would be a good thing. Hibbert doesn't tend to draw double-teams but Bynum did from the undersized Celtics. He showed why when he displayed a power move across the lane in the third period that drew a helpless foul from Jared Sullinger, who at 6-9, 260 used to bully his way through the Big Ten but looked like positively pint-sized next to Bynum.

“Let's not blow it out of perspective,” Bynum said of his first-quarter flurry. “I think the tallest guy they had was 6-2. Playing with midgets, so it was going to be easy to be effective.”

That's Bynum. He keeps it cool. You'll never hear rah-rah talk from him. He's unimpressed with praise, and he's dismissive of opponents. West used a curse word to describe his nature, and meant it as a compliment. Maybe the Pacers' collection of nice guys can use that element. Again, one game isn't enough to know.

But one game is enough to know all the potential positives Bynum can bring – the power game around the basket, the rebounds in traffic that seem to find their way to him, the passing skills. This is a player remember, who once scored 42 points in a game, once grabbed 30 rebounds, once had a game with 21 points and 22 rebounds and once had a triple-double. So, getting eight points and 10 rebounds off the bench wasn't going to impress him.

But it caught the eye of his teammates.

“Man, he brought a lot.” George said. “There's not much on the court that he didn't do tonight.”

Bynum's great games were at least two seasons ago, though, and it remains to be seen how his knees hold up. The Pacers have nursed him along carefully since acquiring him on Feb. 1, and he can't predict how his right knee, which is protected by a heavy brace, will respond to game action. He wasn't supposed to play for at least a few more days, but he was forced into action slightly ahead of schedule by Ian Mahinmi's bruised left rib. He doesn't know how he'll feel during Wednesday's practice, nor whether he'll be able to play in back-to-back games in Philadelphia and Detroit on Friday and Saturday.

“Today it didn't bother me because of adrenaline and I had two months off, so it's going to feel good,” he said of his right knee. “The key is how it responds and how we can keep inflammation out. If we have inflammation, that starts the whole (troublesome) process. Right now we don't have any.”

If his knees hold up, Bynum's contributions can only grow. He doesn't have much chemistry with either the starters or reserves yet, having barely practiced with them in five-on-five settings. He said he prefers playing on the right block rather than the left, where he was posted most of Tuesday's game. His teammates, he said, have to learn he'll pass the ball back out if they give it to him. And the coaching staff will have to figure a way to cover for him when he has to guard smaller players on the perimeter, as he did against the Celtics.

Still, his skills are undeniable.

“He's one of the best bigs in this league and in the history of the game when he's healthy,” George Hill said.

If you think that's hyperbole, then settle for this assessment from Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

“What they have is 48 minutes of a dynamic low post threat,” Steven said before the game. “That's very rare. Now you have two of the best back-to-the-basket threats with size on one team.”

For the Pacers, that's big.
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bynum-makes-big-impact
    Last edited by Strummer; 03-12-2014 at 02:04 AM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Default Re: Bynum Makes Big Impact (Mark Montieth article)

Bynum is certainly wider than Roy. I'm pretty sure that he weights more than him as well. That's why he looks so big.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Too bad we have no idea how to properly utilize our size.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The history of the game George Hill really?
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So much for Bynum upsetting the locker room. It was always pretty simple: If Bynum helps the team win, then these guys will learn to like him very quickly.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So much for Bynum upsetting the locker room. It was always pretty simple: If Bynum helps the team win, then these guys will learn to like him very quickly.
    Yeah, agreed. With the provision he really tries to be a part of the team and keeps his mindset straight (which seems to be the case). Either way, I was happy at the time we got him and it's just one game, but he hasn't dissapointed yet .

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    The history of the game George Hill really?
    Yeah, that was a tad much
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Talent hs never been a question about Bynum. Staying healthy, having the right attitude, wanting to play the right way, being competitive, those were the questions. He has always had way more talent basketball wise and physically than Hibbert. If you could put all of Roy's intangibles into Bynum's body you would have the best center in the NBA and a top 5 player.

He needs to learn what we want him to do on pick and rolls. Half the time last night he came out way to far and allowed an easy basket inside and the other half of the time he didn't come out far enough. That is going to take some work, because it seems every team is running over half their plays with a 1-5 pick and roll against us

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He almost had a double double which for him is a bigtime plus. He may have found his motivation to play hard now
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    He may have found his motivation to play hard now
    Yeah - a contract for next year. Perfect time to have him - he's $$$ motivated.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

The pick & roll defense with him looked rough last night in the second half. This should come around. Not to mention Rondo is pretty tough to guard in those situations.

I didn't see his first run when he got most of his rebounds but in the second half he was getting beat on the glass and had some trouble blocking out. Ultimately Bynum should be a real plus rebounder though.

Crossing fingers that he can be a boost to the bench offensively and ultimately find his place in the rotation. If Bynum plays like he is capable it will be great to have him if the Bulls are the 2nd round opponent and he could be a serious problem for the Heat.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Bynum could be like a double weapon for us - play great the rest of the season, sign a massive contract with someone else in the East, and then turn into Bynum again! But really, I hope he keeps it up, the potential is nearly limitless.

Glad he looked good out there. As UB said talent was never the question. Hopefully his body doesn't break down.

Yeah, I'm hoping his knees don't betray him, but he's a force coming off the bench (or at least he was last night). Gives the second unit a low post go-to guy, which frees up opportunities for Scola and Turner. What I was impressed most was his passing though, you could see that he and West had chemistry right away.

I'm interested to see if his coming out party will motivate Roy a bit. Not that he's a threat to take Roy's job, but at the same time, Roy's a fellow 7 footer too...and I'm sure he wants to remind people that he hasn't left.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Bynum is certainly wider than Roy. I'm pretty sure that he weights more than him as well. That's why he looks so big.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Wait, I was told Bynum was never going to play for us this season and we just signed him to keep him away from Miami....

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

His size made him look like he ate a mushroom in Mario, he just looked one size bigger than everybody- our own players too.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sopgy For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

I liked his quote:

“Let's not blow it out of perspective,” Bynum said of his first-quarter flurry. “I think the tallest guy they had was 6-2. Playing with midgets, so it was going to be easy to be effective.”

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    I liked his quote:

LOL Awesome, trolling the Celtics.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping his knees don't betray him, but he's a force coming off the bench (or at least he was last night). Gives the second unit a low post go-to guy, which frees up opportunities for Scola and Turner. What I was impressed most was his passing though, you could see that he and West had chemistry right away.

I'm interested to see if his coming out party will motivate Roy a bit. Not that he's a threat to take Roy's job, but at the same time, Roy's a fellow 7 footer too...and I'm sure he wants to remind people that he hasn't left.
    This might actually look like the 2011 scenario that got George Hill the starting spot over DC. DC goes down with a injury and the team finished the final 20 games with the best record in the league.

Ian might be replaced due to injury just like DC.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

To be fair, who isn't small compared to Bynum?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Ok, I can't be the only guy wondering what West said, right?

That's Bynum. He keeps it cool. You'll never hear rah-rah talk from him. He's unimpressed with praise, and he's dismissive of opponents. West used a curse word to describe his nature, and meant it as a compliment. Maybe the Pacers' collection of nice guys can use that element. Again, one game isn't enough to know.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I think the lyrics are.

"What's new, pussycat?
    Whoa-oh
    What's new, pussycat?
    Whoa-oh oh

Pussycat, pussycat,
    You're so thrilling and I'm so willing
    To care for you.
    So go and make up you big little pussy cat eyes"

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fat is less dense than muscle so Bynum can look as big or bigger volume wise than Roy and not be much different in overall weight.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I would assume it was d1ck or d1ckhead lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeHill View Post
    I would assume it was d1ck or d1ckhead lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doubt it, I don't think those two words could ever be considered compliments, as well are rarely associated with someone who "keeps it cool". Probably f'er or mf'er.