Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Evan "BUST" Turner 4-4, 1-1 from 3, 3 assists
    So should he be Evan "MVP" Turner now?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers / Celtics Post-Game Thread - 3/11

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I'm not sure I liked that entire bench line up, they played no defense...
    Bynum can't move laterally, Scola is the Argentinian Troy Murphy on defense, and The Villain really doesn't know where he needs to be. Tough to stop people with that sort of thing going on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Games like tonight are why I don't buy into the Lance "stealing" rebounds argument. I want Lance crashing the boards every chance he gets, because it feeds his aggression on the other end and neither Roy or West are good rebounders anyways. Besides if you're 6'9" or 7'2" and you don't want a 6'5" guy stealing your rebounds, then go get it and stop complaining like a......

Bynum was awesome. Much better than I anticipated. He is gonna be just what this 2nd unit needs. People forget that Franks system is designed to run through bigs, and we haven't really had a post man on the bench to make it work when Roy and West go out. I think Andrew with be huge for Scola in particular, freeing him up for that midrange j more often and taking some pressure off him to be a post man, which isn't his strength. Plus he is a good passer and he will find the shooters.

This team is gonna be fine, they just got to work through this rut, and I think they really needed it. They were getting way too cocky. Lance has got to get his aggression back. PG has got to dial back in on the defensive end. And Roy has got to watch Bynum closely and takes notes on how to play like a 7 footer in the paint. Good thing is, if Roy struggles now, we got one of the best offensive bigs in basketball to give us a lift. Odds are at least one of them is gonna play well every game.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Team needed a shot in the arm, and I think Bynum gave them one. It was like Popeye and spinach...

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Is it just me, or since the Turner trade, has Lance been looking to get his own more?
    I could be wrong, but I think it's just you. I believe most of us think it goes back to before the All-Star Game.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

We won, but there's still work to do. Gotta rebound and defend the three better.

Bynum was a huge asset of the bench.

Really cool seeing Bynum play, he was really impressive, 8 pts and 10 rebounds

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think it's just you. I believe most of us think it goes back to before the All-Star Game.
    does look like it goes back to the start of february, just by looking at the assists numbers. he went from averaging about 5.5apg to 4apg. obviously there is more to that stat, but its a start.

Mood

Actually pretty good on offense and terrific on D
    Shooting 54% and giving up 35%.
    Much better
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Great to get the win and great to see Bynum look so good and West play so well. We had to start somewhere to get back on track so lets hope we build on this. It's also good to see the bench get some shot opportunites, we had 20 shots by the bench tonight compared to 9 in our last game. We were still a long way from the team we were 2 months ago however. It's Boston and they were in it. 3 months ago if we would have blown them out by 30.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Games like tonight are why I don't buy into the Lance "stealing" rebounds argument. I want Lance crashing the boards every chance he gets, because it feeds his aggression on the other end and neither Roy or West are good rebounders anyways. Besides if you're 6'9" or 7'2" and you don't want a 6'5" guy stealing your rebounds, then go get it and stop complaining like a......
    Games like these actually verify the Lance stealing rebounds argument, imo. Bynum came in and didn't let Lance steal rebounds from him and that's why Lance only had 5 rebounds tonight (which is below his season average and below his average for the month of March).

Look, I love Lance. I want us to keep him badly. But he does take rebounds away from teammates. It's something that both the eye test and the available statistics indicate (he has the lowest percentage of contested rebounds since he usually grabs the uncontested rebounds and runs with it). I have absolutely no issue with Lance doing that. It's good for the team when it happens since more often than not he will push the pace and create a scoring opportunity. But it does happen. And it has also led some people to believe that Roy and West are not good rebounders which is simply untrue.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watching Bynum tonite just makes me realize how bad Roy is offensively. Roy is more Rik Smits than he is a true post presence. At 7'2 not sure why we cannot get the ball into Roy like we did tonite with Bynum over the top.

Roy just doesn't know how to position himself. I guess this is nothing new. However, for a team that prides itself in running it through the bigs, the only real post presence on this team is DWEST. Roy can certainly learn some things offensively from Bynum.

Take the win but this team has still got a lot of work to do before we can beat an elite team 4 of 7.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

PG needs to get back to taking quality shots from the field. He makes everything so hard. Not to mention the offensive fouls he has been racking up.
    Lance needs to get back to getting his teammates quality shots. He used to think making the right pass was just as impressive has scoring the ball.

Bynum was great, awesome to finally see a 7fter play like he is 7ft tall. Roy needs to learn a lesson from this game. He went 1/4 from mid range. and 2/3 from the post. I hate seeing my Center flash out for jumpers all game long. Did made 2 in a row in the post and didn't attempt another shot in the post the last 2 minutes of the game. Absolutely terrible.

David West played pretty well.

This must be one of the worst officiating crews in the league.

Win is a win, but I just thought they largely just won on talent and not actual execution. All I can ask is that they go over the film tomorrow and work on all the mistakes. Cause there were a ton of them.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 03-11-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Games like these actually verify the Lance stealing rebounds argument, imo. Bynum came in and didn't let Lance steal rebounds from him and that's why Lance only had 5 rebounds tonight (which is below his season average and below his average for the month of March).

Look, I love Lance. I want us to keep him badly. But he does take rebounds away from teammates. It's something that both the eye test and the available statistics indicate (he has the lowest percentage of contested rebounds since he usually grabs the uncontested rebounds and runs with it). I have absolutely no issue with Lance doing that. It's good for the team when it happens since more often than not he will push the pace and create a scoring opportunity. But it does happen. And it has also led some people to believe that Roy and West are not good rebounders which is simply untrue.
    As long as we are using the eye test, Roy is a HORRIBLE rebounder. Bad hands, awful position and zero vertical. He often gets beat by much smaller guys. West can hold his own on the glass. Roy not so much.

Mood

Better game, good win for the Pacers. Lets win several in a row.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    As long as we are using the eye test, Roy is a HORRIBLE rebounder. Bad hands, awful position and zero vertical. He often gets beat by much smaller guys. West can hold his own on the glass. Roy not so much.
    It's true that Roy doesn't jump high but he isn't a horrible rebounder by any means. He is very good at boxing out his opponent when he's not contesting a drive and he is very good at grabbing contested rebounds as well due to his length. Those two points can be proven by both the eye test and the statistical data we have available (for example, Roy is top 3 in contested rebounding %).

West can hold his own as well but some uber-athletic 4s can still rebound over him. I also remember him missing some box outs lately but that applies to the team as a whole and not just him.

People simply think that Roy is not a good rebounder because his raw average is not good considering his size. But they fail to realize two things. They fail to realize that Roy more often than not is contesting the shot in question and thus sacrifices rebounding position in order to contest (that's something that a player like Kevin Love almost never does) and that also he will just not even try to get uncontested rebounds because this is normally Lance's job.

He did grab some uncontested rebounds towards the end of this game and that's why he ended up with 9 tonight. But he normally doesn't do that which leaves him hovering in the 5-7 range.

On the other hand, Bynum had no intention of letting anyone else take a rebound if he was close to it. He jumped at everything and even ripped the ball out of Scola's hands in one case. If that's considered "good rebounding" and Roy's way is considered "bad rebounding" then I simply disagree with it.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This must be one of the worst officiating crews in the league.
    This particular crew isn't normally that bad. Spooner in particular is one of the more consistently good refs I've seen over the last few years.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

It feels like this team has stopped boxing out. I guess Scola was never really that good at it, but I notice West is letting his man get the board more & more often.

Not trying to whine for the sake of it, it really just does feel like a problem. Mostly on the defensive glass.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Really nice to see the difference Bynum's presence on the floor made in the 2nd unit. What a change it is to go from a guy that could be ignored on the offensive end to a guy that required constant double teaming. I think Ian has been playing pretty well lately, but the change to Bynum is like night and day on the offensive end. Still a work in progress on the defensive end though. But playing Bynum made using Donald at the point work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This particular crew isn't normally that bad. Spooner in particular is one of the more consistently good refs I've seen over the last few years.
    Sean Wright, the big guy, has never been anything but just another guy with a whistle and Kogut, the young guy, looked like a D-League guy. He was missing calls the first time and then trying to make them up the 2nd time. Very inconsistent.

You're right about Spooner. He is a guy that would not surprise me if he was officiating the finals.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    Watching Bynum tonite just makes me realize how bad Roy is offensively. Roy is more Rik Smits than he is a true post presence. At 7'2 not sure why we cannot get the ball into Roy like we did tonite with Bynum over the top.

Roy just doesn't know how to position himself. I guess this is nothing new. However, for a team that prides itself in running it through the bigs, the only real post presence on this team is DWEST. Roy can certainly learn some things offensively from Bynum.

Take the win but this team has still got a lot of work to do before we can beat an elite team 4 of 7.
    I suppose you liken him to Rik because Rik could not hold his position like Roy but that
    Is where the likeness ends. Rik was offensively very gifted.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

31. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I suppose you liken him to Rik because Rik could not hold his position like Roy but that
    Is where the likeness ends. Rik was offensively very gifted.
    If he played today, Rik would be one of the really good centers. But under the 90's rules, guys could push him around.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Really nice to see the difference Bynum's presence on the floor made in the 2nd unit. What a change it is to go from a guy that could be ignored on the offensive end to a guy that required constant double teaming. I think Ian has been playing pretty well lately, but the change to Bynum is like night and day on the offensive end. Still a work in progress on the defensive end though. But playing Bynum made using Donald at the point work.
    Bynum is the perfect complement to Roy and a if Vogel and the players are smart they
    Will feed Andrew when he is down low. When he is that close he will score
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Bynum was and will be a big load in the box.

I got excited when I saw the double teams forming within 3-4 minutes of him coming in. This will never happen with Mahinmi. If Scola finds his elbow shot, then look out. Would be interesting to see a look with Bynum and a shooter like Copeland. Perhaps even play Copeland as a stretch 4.

He also reminds us of what it's like to have a set of good hands inside the post, and can go straight up to draw contact. He's a banger. If he shows more of this consistently, then he will clearly threaten Mahinmi's playing time and could very well absorb most of it.

On the downside, he got burned at least twice on backdoor cuts.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Damn, I'm gonna miss Friday's game. My first missed game this season

Who will provide the witty repartee for Game Thread that day?

The PD universe will be out of whack that day….I sense a loss on Friday….
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post: