Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 256

Thread: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,900

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10590134

    This would great IMO, not only for the NBA but for college ball, as well.

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Absolutely hate this. I'm already uncomfortable with making them wait the one year, two would be disgraceful. If you're making players wait until 20 then there has to be some system set up with the D League where they can get paid a considerable amount from 18-20 if they don't want to go to college.

    NBA players are already underpaid compared to other sports, stealing away another year of earning potential just so college basketball can be 10% more exciting is unjustifiable.

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely hate this. I'm already uncomfortable with making them wait the one year, two would be disgraceful. If you're making players wait until 20 then there has to be some system set up with the D League where they can get paid a considerable amount from 18-20 if they don't want to go to college.

    NBA players are already underpaid compared to other sports, stealing away another year of earning potential just so college basketball can be 10% more exciting is unjustifiable.
    Why would it be disgraceful? That makes absolutely no sense. Is it disgraceful that NFL players have to wait 3 years? There is nothing disgraceful about this, if anything it is a good thing for the players. If they don't want to go to college they can go to Europe and get paid. It really isn't any different from most industries that require a college degree, technical training, or previous experience. People getting a skilled job right out of high school is abnormal. So unless you are going to say I should have been given a high paying job right out of high school instead of needing to get a college degree, your opinion is idiotic.

    Bottom tier NBA players are not underpaid compared to other sports. Maybe the top tier is, but not the bottom. Anyways, it isn't about other sports, it is about what makes economical sense for the NBA.

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  7. #4

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would it be disgraceful? That makes absolutely no sense. Is it disgraceful that NFL players have to wait 3 years? There is nothing disgraceful about this, if anything it is a good thing for the players. If they don't want to go to college they can go to Europe and get paid. It really isn't any different from most industries that require a college degree, technical training, or previous experience. People getting a skilled job right out of high school is abnormal. So unless you are going to say I should have been given a high paying job right out of high school instead of needing to get a college degree, your opinion is idiotic.

    Bottom tier NBA players are not underpaid compared to other sports. Maybe the top tier is, but not the bottom. Anyways, it isn't about other sports, it is about what makes economical sense for the NBA.
    The NBA wants the NCAA to do all their marketing and scouting for them for two years. That might be good for the NBA and the NCAA but it's just not fair to force people to work for free while you make millions of dollars off them. It's disgusting and it's not right. Plenty of jobs require a college degree, but not many require HALF of a college degree. Especially in the entertainment business, which is what the NBA is, it's ridiculous to put these restrictions on adults who are good enough to work in this field.

    The NFL at least makes sense because high school players just don't have the strength or body development to compete as a teenager. The NBA has no excuse other than they just don't want to.

    This especially stood out:

    So unless you are going to say I should have been given a high paying job right out of high school instead of needing to get a college degree, your opinion is idiotic
    You shouldn't have been given a high paying job out of high school because you didn't deserve one. You didn't have the elite skills in a desirable marketplace. LeBron James did. Your lack of marketable skills has nothing to do with the NBA.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  9. #5

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely hate this. I'm already uncomfortable with making them wait the one year, two would be disgraceful. If you're making players wait until 20 then there has to be some system set up with the D League where they can get paid a considerable amount from 18-20 if they don't want to go to college.

    NBA players are already underpaid compared to other sports, stealing away another year of earning potential just so college basketball can be 10% more exciting is unjustifiable.
    I get your point. If a guy wants to go to the NBA at 18, he should be allowed to try.

    I don't think the 20 yr minimum has anything to do with college. It is strictly for the benefit of the NBA. NBA teams want guys to be ready to play when they come into the league. Not to be a training ground. The way it is now, too many guys are like Lance during their rookie contracts. Four years of earning the NBA's dime, but only a couple of years of good play. NBA wants guys to earn their money from the start.

    FWIW, the NBA is fine with guys that want to earn instead of learn going to the D-League. The NBADL will not have the 20 yr old age restriction.

  10. #6

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    What would it accomplish? A more mature class of NBA players coming into a draft? Justin Bieber is 21 and look how he acts. Maturity is about the person, not the age of the person.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would it accomplish? A more mature class of NBA players coming into a draft? Justin Bieber is 21 and look how he acts. Maturity is about the person, not the age of the person.
    Maturity is formed through experience. An extra year of humbling experiences on the college court where you aren't making millions could give a lot of players some perspective.

  13. #8

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maturity is formed through experience. An extra year of humbling experiences on the college court where you aren't making millions could give a lot of players some perspective.
    Perspective don't pay the bills and won't pay the tab for taking the pretty girls out, sucka!

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would it accomplish? A more mature class of NBA players coming into a draft? Justin Bieber is 21 and look how he acts. Maturity is about the person, not the age of the person.
    This isn't about developing players. It's about giving nba scouts two full years of data so they're less likely to waste extremely valuable draft picks on flash in the pan busts.

    But yes, justin bigger is 21. That is absolutely correct.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-11-2014 at 07:16 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    3,170

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    It would help the NBA bring in more mature players. Mature players would enhance teams, which would enhance the action. Yes, younger players give you more years to have them develop in the NBA, but some guys don't develop their full potential until they're in their mid 20s, so 2 maybe 3 years in college will teach them discipline and help develop their talent even more.
    Smothered Chicken!

  18. #11
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,548
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    I am opposed to this as well. Most NBA careers last 5-7 years at best. If you are making kids wait until they are 20 to be eligible to be in the NBA you are taking a year of potential big time earnings away from them in what could very well be a small window to be a professional athlete. If a team wants to draft any kid out of high school and pay them millions of dollars then let the kids make a decision about what to do with their life IMO.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am opposed to this as well. Most NBA careers last 5-7 years at best. If you are making kids wait until they are 20 to be eligible to be in the NBA you are taking a year of potential big time earnings away from them in what could very well be a small window to be a professional athlete. If a team wants to draft any kid out of high school and pay them millions of dollars then let the kids make a decision about what to do with their life IMO.
    Nba careers that last 5-7 years don't end because of age. A fringe nba player with 4 years of college experience is more likely to extend his career than a college freshman.

    Tim Duncan declared for the draft at 22 and he's still playing 16 years later.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    What, $7.25 per/hr isn't good enough?




    DOH!!!!
    nevermind...



  23. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,279

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    I'm not totally against this, but not totally for it either.

    I'd rather have a set up where if you go to college, you have to stay 2 years. But if you want to go to the D-League or Europe out of high school, you can and you're automatically eligible for the draft the next season. Once each team has a D-League affiliate (and we're very close), this seems plausible to me. It would also be better if you paid all the D-League players a little more as well, plus gave them free tuition if they wanted to take classes. And you don't need to change anything for foreign players. They'd still be eligible at 19.

    I think players like Jabari Parker and Joel Embiid would have went to college under this scenario. Someone like Andrew Wiggins may have played in the D-League.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  25. #15

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    The age limit isn't the issue. AAU basketball is...

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  27. #16
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    You are right the NBA wants these players to develop their skills before they actually enter into the NBA, just like most industries. The way they view it, it takes about two years to earn the basketball equivalent of a degree. Now if these players are not willing to accept college or, if you will, an unpaid internship to develop those skills they do have other options. They can go over to Europe. The truth is saying they are unpaid is naive. If they have any chance at the NBA they are there on scholarship. They may not be getting paid in money, but they are being provided for and are getting a free education. They are getting well compensated.

    By the way, Lebron's body was mature enough out of high school to go straight to the NFL. These rules aren't designed with the Lebron Jameses of the world in mind. As well, it is a bit presumptuous to assume that I didn't have marketable skills out of high school. Did I need to refine and develop my skills further, maybe even broaden my skill set? Most certainly, but so did most of the players who declared for the NBA straight out of high school.

    The facts are just about every job has a certain amount of requirements in order to be considered. Many of them can seem to be quite arbitrary, especially when you are not aware of the reasons for the requirement. These requirements are almost always in place in order to try to find the right person with the most skills. This is no different. The NBA sees a need for these players to wait until they mature as players, and probably people too, before they decide to hire them as employees. Unlike most industries you don't have the option to go back to college to improve your skills and prove yourself after you have declared for the NBA.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are right the NBA wants these players to develop their skills before they actually enter into the NBA, just like most industries. The way they view it, it takes about two years to earn the basketball equivalent of a degree. Now if these players are not willing to accept college or, if you will, an unpaid internship to develop those skills they do have other options. They can go over to Europe. The truth is saying they are unpaid is naive. If they have any chance at the NBA they are there on scholarship. They may not be getting paid in money, but they are being provided for and are getting a free education. They are getting well compensated.

    By the way, Lebron's body was mature enough out of high school to go straight to the NFL. These rules aren't designed with the Lebron Jameses of the world in mind. As well, it is a bit presumptuous to assume that I didn't have marketable skills out of high school. Did I need to refine and develop my skills further, maybe even broaden my skill set? Most certainly, but so did most of the players who declared for the NBA straight out of high school.

    The facts are just about every job has a certain amount of requirements in order to be considered. Many of them can seem to be quite arbitrary, especially when you are not aware of the reasons for the requirement. These requirements are almost always in place in order to try to find the right person with the most skills. This is no different. The NBA sees a need for these players to wait until they mature as players, and probably people too, before they decide to hire them as employees. Unlike most industries you don't have the option to go back to college to improve your skills and prove yourself after you have declared for the NBA.
    So what year did you declare for the NBA straight out of high school?

  30. #18
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what year did you declare for the NBA straight out of high school?
    Well since I wasn't talking about basketball, never.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  32. #19

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    All this would be fine if the NBA wasn't a legal monopoly. If I'm a programmer and Google doesn't want to hire me cause I don't have a college degree, I can apply to Apple, or Microsoft, or any other company I want. Your solution for basketball players is to force them to leave the continent, or be paid peanuts in the CBA. There's a difference between an industry PREFERRING that you polish your skills, and one that FORCES you to.

    You may have had marketable skills, but it's not presumptuous to expect they weren't as marketable as LeBron James. In fact, I'm sure of it.

    One year of thirty games of college basketball, half the schedule against far lesser talent, is not gonna help you refine your skills more than practicing with and learning from NBA players. You may think emotionally that players aren't ready for the NBA, but that's not our choice to make.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  34. #20
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,491

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One year of thirty games of college basketball, half the schedule against far lesser talent, is not gonna help you refine your skills more than practicing with and learning from NBA players. You may think emotionally that players aren't ready for the NBA, but that's not our choice to make.
    It's funny how once these guys get to college, the talent gap is never as wide as it seems. This year is a prime example of that: You had this super stacked senior class who everyone thought would comprise the best NBA draft in a decade. The season starts; reality sets in, and now it looks like a lot of them (most of them, imo) could use another year of seasoning before going to the NBA.

  35. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    One year of thirty games of college basketball, half the schedule against far lesser talent, is not gonna help you refine your skills more than practicing with and learning from NBA players. You may think emotionally that players aren't ready for the NBA, but that's not our choice to make.
    ...and it's not our choice to make how old the nba requires their employees to be.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  37. #22

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and it's not our choice to make how old the nba requires their employees to be.
    Well yeah, the choice isn't mine but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about it. I can dislike casting choices in a movie, it doesn't meant I think I can tell the director what to do. Not really sure what your point is? Should I just be happy about every decision the NBA makes because it's not up to me?

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  39. #23
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    You will see a lot of good players in the D-league if this happens.

  40. #24
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,281

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You will see a lot of good players in the D-league if this happens.
    And you'll see even more "good players" not cut it in the D League. Thank god, then we won't have to watch these guys sit at the end of an NBA bench filling space.

    But, I agree that developing an expanded and financially rewarding D League for youngsters who choose not to experience college basketball is the best way to solve this issue (along with the age limit). Let these kids get a "real job" in the DL and prove that they belong in the NBA not due to their potential, but due to their track record.

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:


  42. #25
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA to raise minimum age to 20?

    Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you'll see even more "good players" not cut it in the D League. Thank god, then we won't have to watch these guys sit at the end of an NBA bench filling space.

    But, I agree that developing an expanded and financially rewarding D League for youngsters who choose not to experience college basketball is the best way to solve this issue (along with the age limit). Let these kids get a "real job" in the DL and prove that they belong in the NBA not due to their potential, but due to their track record.
    That is a perfectly reasonable solution.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •