Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bynum will play tonight

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: bynum will play tonight

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now that you could make a case for. Considering he was the second overall pick in the draft, it's debateable. I don't agree with it, but a case could be made there.
    People think that just because he is a Pacer now, his disappointing run in Philadelphia can be forgotten. From the 2010 draft, Turner probably doesn't crack the top 25 of top players
    David "And One" West

Turner isn't Danny Granger and never was going to be that good. The real question is if he's any better than Granger this year. He's had a couple good games scoring 17 and 22. He's shooting 50% from three. All things considered so far, I would consider the trade a wash. Turner might start playing better once he gets more comfortable with his team mates, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    People think that just because he is a Pacer now, his disappointing run in Philadelphia can be forgotten. From the 2010 draft, Turner probably doesn't crack the top 25 of top players
    Initially, he was clearly a bust. But he has improved some and was averaging 17ppg. He's got a very nice handle. Once he gets clear on his role and used to working with his team mates, he may be a valuable player. So far though, I don't think he's shaken the bust label for being picked that high.

how did this turn into an Evan Turner thread

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So anyway....

The team is struggling. So people don't freak out when Bynum comes in tonight and possibly looks average or worse. It's his first game back, and like I said... the team on the whole has not been playing well. I would expect no more than a pedestrian debut.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Release the Bynum!

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    how did this turn into an Evan Turner thread
    The same way any thread steers off topic. It'll get back to Bynum, don't you worry UB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    So anyway....

The team is struggling. So people don't freak out when Bynum comes in tonight and possibly looks average or worse. It's his first game back, and like I said... the team on the whole has not been playing well. I would expect no more than a pedestrian debut.
    If Bynum's play runs true to form compared to our other bench acquisitions, he'll look good tonight and slowly regress as the season goes on.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    So anyway....

I agree. I think I read where he will only play "short bursts" of minutes, whatever the hell that means. I am hoping that it gets some excitement going with the fans and maybe the players. If he scores 4 points, grabs 2 rebounds and looks competent defensively it would be fine by me.

I'm not expecting much but we need something at this point to get us out of this funk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Initially, he was clearly a bust. But he has improved some and was averaging 17ppg. He's got a very nice handle. Once he gets clear on his role and used to working with his team mates, he may be a valuable player. So far though, I don't think he's shaken the bust label for being picked that high.

Turner has guts, and likes to take game winning shots. He's hit two this season alone. Vs Brooklyn and Boston. I would actually, in a tight game scenario like to see Evan on the floor with PG and George Hill. Evan's ability to get to the rim, will result in a score, or a kick out for Paul or Hill for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Turner has guts, and likes to take game winning shots. He's hit two this season alone. Vs Brooklyn and Boston. I would actually, in a tight game scenario like to see Evan on the floor with PG and George Hill. Evan's ability to get to the rim, will result in a score, or a kick out for Paul or Hill for 3.
    Okay, while I don't disagree with that statement...it's not like Lance can't do the same thing. Lance is actually better at it if you ask me.

Okay, while I don't disagree with that statement...it's not like Lance can't do the same thing. Lance is actually better at it if you ask me.
    With more seasoning, Lance might be much, much better than Turner. Isn't he a few years younger? As wild as Lance is now, he's still a significantly better player and that's one reason he starts already.

As long as he can give some good minutes, I'll be okay with him. He does not need to score at all
    Smothered Chicken!

Not really. I think when Evan is off the dribble, he has more direction. Lance sometimes gets caught up in being too fancy. Evan knows where he wants to go, and knows how to get there.

I found it interesting reading this quote on this Andrew Bynum ESPN article:
    "Andrew's going to play tonight," Pacers coach Frank Vogel told reporters after the team's shootaround. "It was really nothing that we saw with Andrew that made us decide. It was just a matter of meeting with [team president] Larry [Bird], seeing where our team is.
    That would make me believe that Bird had a little sit down with Frank about things recently. Hopefully that's a good thing.
    Last edited by BenR1990; 03-11-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: messed up link

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Great news that.
    I think his ability to score inside will be a great thing for our team. Should open up the rest of the court and give our (less than stellar ) offensive game a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    I found it interesting reading this quote on this Andrew Bynum ESPN article:

That would make me believe that Bird had a little sit down with Frank about things recently. Hopefully that's a good thing.

Hope he told him to play a 10 man rotation.

Hope he told him to play a 10 man rotation.
    Hate to say it bud, but you might as well wish in one hand and crap in the other, because it isn't going to happen.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just think the team mentally relaxed when they clinched the playoffs and had the excuse of the 4 games in 5 nights. Close game with the Ws and get blown out by Charlotte on the back-to-back. Houston wanted revenge. And Carlisle is a good coach for Dallas.

Next 5 games are winnable and hope we realize the opportunity before us to clinch home court for the Playoffs and just get back to playing fundamentally sound basketball - taking care of the ball, valuing each possession, feeding the big men, moving the ball, setting some good solid picks and crashing the boards. Guard the 3 like we were earlier and let things take care of themselves.

Would love to use some of Miami's offensive sets, particularly against them, with the high post offense with David West and weakside mutliple screens for Lance/PG and letting the pick roll to the block for easy position and having GH play off West with the 2 man game.

Definitely excited to see what Bynum adds to the 2nd unit.

Hate to say it bud, but you might as well wish in one hand and crap in the other, because it isn't going to happen.

I know. But you can always hope someone wises up. Especially when their job is probably depending on how this season goes.

Frank's job isn't dependent on how this season goes.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Frank's job isn't dependent on how this season goes.
    I think so a bit. Larry has given him all the pieces. If he doesn't utilize them correctly, maybe Larry should find someone who will. There are good coaches out there who don't have jobs right now. Heck, Woodson in NY would be interesting. He's almost out of a job, and the terrible roster in NY never really gave him a chance to compete.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know. But you can always hope someone wises up. Especially when their job is probably depending on how this season goes.
    Who's job? Franks job isn't in question IMO...just because a few fans in a message board are callin for his head means nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I think so a bit. Larry has given him all the pieces. If he doesn't utilize them correctly, maybe Larry should find someone who will. There are good coaches out there who don't have jobs right now. Heck, Woodson in NY would be interesting. He's almost out of a job, and the terrible roster in NY never really gave him a chance to compete.
    I'll pass on Woodson. I don't think Frank is going anywhere anytime soon.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post: