Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about Mahinmi playing instead of Scola when Bynum is ready to play

Sports Logo

Default Re: How about Mahinmi playing instead of Scola when Bynum is ready to play

Didn't the article say that Ian is injured?

If he isn't injured then I have no objection to this idea. It's worth a try. Ian is playing too well lately to lose his minutes.

I'd like to see us throwing several different looks at opponents. Try Bynum out with everyone (Luis, Ian, Copeland, Allen) and see what you have.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Default Re: How about Mahinmi playing instead of Scola when Bynum is ready to play

If this line-up was trotted out it wouldn't be with the idea that it would improve the offense, but instead to put out a defensive monster that wouldn't let anyone score within 15ft of the basket. Personally I don't think it would be smart to play those two alongside a wing line-up of Watson, Lance, and Turner. It would be better to play Watson,Turner/Lance, Butler; Watson, Hill, Butler; Watson, Hill, Turner/Lance; or Hill, Turner/Lance, Butler.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this line-up was trotted out it wouldn't be with the idea that it would improve the offense, but instead to put out a defensive monster that wouldn't let anyone score within 15ft of the basket. Personally I don't think it would be smart to play those two alongside a wing line-up of Watson, Lance, and Turner. It would be better to play Watson,Turner/Lance, Butler; Watson, Hill, Butler; Watson, Hill, Turner/Lance; or Hill, Turner/Lance, Butler.

Yeah. A 2-headed defensive monster. That lineup would work only if we had lights out shooters to play at the backup 3, 2, and 1 spots. Rasual at the back up 2, Cope at back up 3, and Turner or Solo at back up 1 would be about as close to a shooters trio as we'd get in that lineup.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is something I have been thinking about since Bynum got here actually. Defensively, it would be much better. Ian is definitely athletic enough to guard PFs. I also think he would be a fantastic weak side shot blocker, a la JO in his prime. Offensively it is a worry because you have two guys who work out of the post and don't really have any other offensive threat in their game. Ian has shown he can hit the mid range jumper, and quite frankly is probably been as good as Scola's has been the past couple months.

If Scola was playing as he is capable of, there is no doubt you put him next to Bynum. He would open things up for Bynum. But he hasn't been hitting shots well. Maybe letting Ian out there, just be full of energy, basically Lance like at the back up PF. Crashing the boards, bringing energy, getting some dunks. I think it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This is something I have been thinking about since Bynum got here actually. Defensively, it would be much better. Ian is definitely athletic enough to guard PFs. I also think he would be a fantastic weak side shot blocker, a la JO in his prime. Offensively it is a worry because you have two guys who work out of the post and don't really have any other offensive threat in their game. Ian has shown he can hit the mid range jumper, and quite frankly is probably been as good as Scola's has been the past couple months.

If Scola was playing as he is capable of, there is no doubt you put him next to Bynum. He would open things up for Bynum. But he hasn't been hitting shots well. Maybe letting Ian out there, just be full of energy, basically Lance like at the back up PF. Crashing the boards, bringing energy, getting some dunks. I think it would work.
    Agreed, unless Scola keeps shooting as well as he did last night.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Scolas only defense is his offense. I really enjoy having him here but his defensive ability is just dreadful, and that makes any offensive slumps from him a major liability. Ian might not be much for handling the rock but with Bynum out there he can easily dunk it home off a Bynum double/triple team pass. And Ian is athletic enough to move on par with normal sized PFs (ie, not SFs playing PF).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-17-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: hear = here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Man, I know there are a lot of possible combinations, but I really do think Vogel should try this one, a real try. Shouldn't it make things simpler for Bynum? And that is what he needs for the rest of this season. It's so clear Bynum gives us a lot more on offense, but instead of shifting to a mindset of having the bench score to keep up with the other bench while the starters outdefend the other starters, I mean...sometimes you have to think win-win and just go for it, and get out of the mindset of 'just trying to stay even' when the bench comes in, and instead try to be better all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Scolas only defense is his offense. I really enjoy having him hear but his defensive ability is just dreadful, and that makes any offensive slumps from him a major liability. Ian might not be much for handling the rock but with Bynum is out there he can easily dunk it home off a Bynum double/triple team pass. And Ian is athletic enough to move on par with normal sized PFs (ie, not SFs playing PF).
    You would be correct but Ian has the worst hands for a bigman I have seen in a long time. Lavoy could provide all the same benefits defensively and rebounding and he has
    good hands and dunks quickly. Bynum is the anti-Ian with glue like hands. I would use Ian with a center ONLY when you need a defensive stop and even then I bet Lavoy would do a better job.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Here are the things I would like to see and soon,

Hibbert and Bynum in the game at the same time even for just a couple of minutes.

Copeland playing, let him come in when PG sits and play the three.

I have seen Bynum and D West and it was beautiful. Lets see Bynum and Manhinmi and Hibbert and Mahinmi.

Did I mention Cope playing!

I would pass on the Ian and Roy combo. Two players with very poor hands. Turnover city. One on the floor at a time only.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like the idea of having Allen out there with Bynum more than anyone. His mid range J, and smart defense is the perfect combination with Bynum. If we went with Mahinmi, I think we would clog the lane a bit and become stagnant offensively.

I'm probably down on Scola more than most simply because I don't think he fits in much right now. We don't NEED his offense now that we have Bynum. Maybe play Scola when Bynum sits out, and play Allen (or Copeland) when Bynum plays?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers need the guy with the jumper going next to Bynum, with a little size; if it's Scola or Allen. At this point I feel Scola has long gotten the benefit of the doubt and Lavoy should get his minutes for now, see how things go. I honestly think that's a big reason why the Pacers haven't been as good as they were the first month or two, people forget that Scola was playing very well, and that jumper was almost automatic.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

If Ian could play the 4, they would have used him last year when Tyler was struggling. He apparently is only a back-up 5.

The same can be said for Copeland at the 3. If he could play the 3, they would have used him earlier this season when Danny was out.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    If Ian could play the 4, they would have used him last year when Tyler was struggling. He apparently is only a back-up 5.

The same can be said for Copeland at the 3. If he could play the 3, they would have used him earlier this season when Danny was out.
    Who would have played back up center last season if Ian played the 4? Pendergraph? Plumlee? It was better to play Ian/Tyler than one of those two with Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Who would have played back up center last season if Ian played the 4? Pendergraph? Plumlee? It was better to play Ian/Tyler than one of those two with Ian.
    Give the bulk of minutes to West, Roy and Ian. For example, if they played 32, 30 and 22 minutes respectively, you only have 12 minutes left for Tyler. If Ian could have played the 4, you could have used Ian/Roy at times. Since they never even attempted an Ian/Roy combination, it appears that Ian can not play the 4.

Give the bulk of minutes to West, Roy and Ian. For example, if they played 32, 30 and 22 minutes respectively, you only have 12 minutes left for Tyler. If Ian could have played the 4, you could have used Ian/Roy at times. Since they never even attempted an Ian/Roy combination, it appears that Ian can not play the 4.
    Eh, Ian next to Roy is very different than Ian next to Bynum imo. One, they are both defensive guys. One of the reasons I'd like to see Ian next to Bynum is because Bynum is not good on that end. Offensively, its pretty obvious that Bynum is far more polished that Roy is. Ian can just focus on energy and rebounding on that end while Bynum draws the double and triple teams. Ian and Roy are more alike than Ian and Bynum.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

It's almost like Scola is getting the "look, we like you and you were doing so well" benefit of the doubt with Frank. I don't want to run Luis out on a rail here, but maybe a break for a few games might help. This is the benefit of a deep team and the coach needs to be able to massage those feelings. Who better than Frank to keep the message positive when having Scola sit for a few games while they feel out what Cope can do in his place, or what Ian/Bynum can do as a combo?

It reminds me of riding out Barbosa as he floundered down the stretch. Leaving a guy out there too long hurts both the team and him. It's no shame for Duncan or Parker to take games off after all. Frank has to be careful not to overprotect people's egos.

He had no problem trying Solo and Pulp and then taking PT away from them when he felt it wasn't working. He hasn't even let Cope play himself back to the bench yet at the expense of riding out a serious Scola slump.

Scola belongs on the same minutes and rest plan as Bynum. If that doesn't work, then I am in favor of Allen-Bynum in the frontcourt.

I like the idea of this thread, but it hinges on the idea that Vogel will get creative with his rigid bench rotations, which obviously will never happen. Lavoy Allen put up 13 points on 6-6 shooting and grabbed 4 rebounds in just 18 minutes against Philly. Seems like that solid outing would earn him a few more minutes in the next couple of games, right? Of course he followed that up with ZERO minutes of playing time against Detroit and Philly. Most coaches would be intrigued by having a new big man like Lavoy Allen and would at least want to see how he worked with his new team, especially after that 13 point outing, but Vogel stashes him away like he's an ugly Christmas sweater given to him by his grandmother. Vogel has been a great coach here, but he is stubborn to a fault at times. It would be impossible for a coach to be less creative with his rotations.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I definitely think it is time to give Scola a rest at the minimum. We are down to the last ~20 games so the chance to get him any rest is coming to an end. Plus we can get a look at Allen. I'd love to see him get a few games to show what he's got.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Ian played great last night defensively. Both Ian and Scola deserve to be the first guys off the bench as bigs. Bynum and Ian could rotate their minutes, but Ian has deserved to play more. Bynum has to earn it
    "We want Miami"

On second thought with Bynum playing seemingly every other game. And having an MRI after the pistons game. Maybe Bynum should play with as little rotation interruption as possible

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I like the idea of this thread, but it hinges on the idea that Vogel will get creative with his rigid bench rotations, which obviously will never happen. Lavoy Allen put up 13 points on 6-6 shooting and grabbed 4 rebounds in just 18 minutes against Philly. Seems like that solid outing would earn him a few more minutes in the next couple of games, right? Of course he followed that up with ZERO minutes of playing time against Detroit and Philly. Most coaches would be intrigued by having a new big man like Lavoy Allen and would at least want to see how he worked with his new team, especially after that 13 point outing, but Vogel stashes him away like he's an ugly Christmas sweater given to him by his grandmother. Vogel has been a great coach here, but he is stubborn to a fault at times. It would be impossible for a coach to be less creative with his rotations.
    Some coaches constantly tinker with their lineups and get criticized for it. Some coaches make a decision to stick with their rotation and let their guys play through slumps. We've had both here. There's no happy medium because there's always going to be a group of people (not the same group) who will be unhappy no matter how he handles his roster.

But I don't think he looks at Mahinmi guarding 4's as an absolutely terrible idea. Last night Mahinmi was tasked with guarding Thad Young for a while and he did a great job. He got scored on, but he wasn't getting blown by and he had the shots well defended. Even if Vogel decides against it, I'm sure he has considered it.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 03-18-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

He played the defensive 4 last night, letting Scola check Mullens and Ian got Thad Young. So I guess he can be a 4 now that he's played it?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    On second thought with Bynum playing seemingly every other game. And having an MRI after the pistons game. Maybe Bynum should play with as little rotation interruption as possible
    Do you mean so Ian doesn't have to flip back and forth between forward and center?

I think Ian would be able to handle being told to stay a little closer to his man than usual every other night. It'd be no different than when he has to guard a stretch 5, in my opinion. And if it means Scola gets a little extra rest every other game I'm not exactly opposed to it because I think when rested and healthy Scola is a phenomenal backup for us.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson